The Cats Restaurant & Tavern
17533 Santa Cruz Highway
Los Gatos, CA 95033Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
The Cats Restaurant & Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thecatsrestaurantandtavern.com/
- Phone: 4083544020
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-W 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Th 4:00pm-12:00am
Dinner: Sa-Su 4:00pm-12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Offers private dinning for 15-70 people. Also able to accommodate buy-outs.
- Entertainment: Live music Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
A word from The Cats Restaurant & Tavern
A historical roadhouse featuring barbecued pork ribs, pork shoulder, chicken, and brisket beef smoked over hickory wood. Delicious oak wood grilled steaks, porch chops, lamb chops, and fish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Cats Restaurant & Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)vibrant bar scene (24)good for groups (21)fit for foodies (20)special occasion (16)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (14)late-night find (12)scenic view (5)notable wine list (3)romantic (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- First TimersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014We had a reservation but, the hostess didn't know what to do with us. We sat near the kitchen but, it was too hot near it. So, we moved to the bar area. The food was prepared just right. The local craft beer was excellent and the cocktails were great, also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurprisePotatoGuyDined on 8/23/2014Our party of four were drawn to Cats by Groupon. We were all pleased with our dinners and will be happy to return. The staff were very welcoming and our waiter was particularly friendly and helpful. My baked potato was superb, matching any I've ever had. I would go back just for another baked potato.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Cats RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014An old staple of Los Gatos. If you haven't been or it has been awhile, I highly recommend giving it a try. I got there early, 6pm (an hour or so later, it was packed), and was seated right away. Service was great. Waiter always made sure to check on me often enough but not too often to be annoying. Had the rib eye steak, medium rare and baked potato both were excellent. Barely could finish it all but did. Washed it all down with Angry Orchard Cider. Finally, ciders are starting to show up in restaurants, slowly but surly. They are a nice option to beer and wine with a lower % alcohol. Next visit, I'm trying the pulled pork which other guests had and it looked delicious. They also have live music in the bar. Check them out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the BBQ!PDCDDined on 8/20/2014Been coming to the Cat's for many years! This is the first time in many years that we came during the week. It is not the same! Come on a weekend! Food is wonderful, but the menu is extremely limited on a weeknight.
- Honey Glazeddd Ribs RIBS RIBS!!!!!MissSharksFanDined on 8/19/2014This place was soooo good!!!! The honey glazed ribs and chicken were fantastic!!!! The price was pretty great as well! Especially with a group on! The location has great history and a good ambiance. A must go to if you live in the Silicon Valley and have a hearty appetite. The portion sizes are great as well.Special Features:
- First TimersRubyDined on 8/16/2014Myself and two other lady friends made reservations for dinner, and the reservations were very easy to navigate. I've used Open table before, with no issues. The BBQ was delicious, although my New York Steak was thin. The rest of the meal was great, and my friends liked theirs as well, with the one observation that the Rib Eye was thin. The badn wa sgreat, adn we ended up staying there for 6 hours! We danced and had cocktails, and the staff is excellent. We will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must goGinspecDined on 8/16/2014Food was great service excellent I'll go again very soonSpecial Features:
- We'll go back for the dancing.klwong43Dined on 8/16/2014Cats is a fun place for barbecue in a laid back, casual setting. The food was great. The service was spotty, but we didn't mind lingering because we were waiting for the live music and weren't disappointed. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to stay and dance. Next time.Special Features:
- Ants!jwinedineDined on 8/16/2014Four of us went there for dinner around 5:00 P.M. last Saturday, 8/16. Two of us, myself included, had an ant floating in our water glasses. Our waiter was quite embarrassed and apologetic when we showed him, and he quickly brought everyone at the table fresh, ant-free glasses. Other than that, the food, service and ambiance were all great; we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fun; Give Them a Try You'll Like itValhala95014Dined on 8/13/2014Group-On Scores: giving The Cats a solid. We decided to go for Happy Hour and were very pleased. We ended up eating in the Bar because the servers were so friendly and accommodating. Well drinks and draft beer very reasonably priced. The atmosphere and menu is reminiscent of the past lost as the Valley has moved into the new technology frontier. This is the roadhouse your Grandparents lamented about at a fireside chat The food was old west, Salinas/San Luis Obispo BBQ and much more. We went overboard with onion rights, baked beans, coleslaw, corn bread (amazing, could have had the corn-B for desert) pulled pork and tri-tip sandwiches so huge we only eat half and took the rest home. Best be hungry if you intend to devour the whole thingSpecial Features:
- Fantastic dinnerPrincessVIPDined on 8/13/2014The Cats restaurant has the most incredible BBQ, especially the dry rub ribs. The Cole slaw is favorable without saturating the cabbage in dressing. Large baked potatoes done perfectly, wonderful chicken and good choices for small children. We've been to this restaurant many times, and will go many more.Special Features:
- Good Eatseatwords4uDined on 8/3/2014Had not been to The Cats since the 70's and was so glad we decided to go there after all these years. The food was oh so good, we were already planning our next trip back. The service could be better but it wasn't horriable...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience Terrific RibsreturnsDined on 8/1/2014Get there early when bands are playing. Locals fill the place. Nice rustic atmosphere. Best ribs in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Excellent ServiceFoodSnobDined on 7/31/2014Excellent food, great service, quick seating! Found this gem on a Thursday night at 8:00PM and didn't have to wait for party of 3 to be seated. Food was amazing, waitstaff was friendly and attentive. Will be returning. Live music nightly. Conveniently located off Hwy 17 on the outskirts of Los Gatos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BBQ in townCjcaballeroDined on 7/29/2014And if it's not to 100% to your satisfaction, they will absolutely remake your plate and redeem themselves and beyond! I usually don't return plates but my steak wasn't 100% what I expected as I am extremely picky...they grabbed the plate from despite me telling them it was fine and returned with the most mouth watering perfectly cooked steak I have ever had!!! Hands down best filet mignon in town!!! I LOVE this place! Great ambiance, nothing fancy but great history and character!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!lovethisplaceDined on 7/19/2014I've been coming to The Cats since the 1970's - love this place! I highly recommend for a special date night or just a good dinner.Special Features:
- Great BBQ!!DWgirl13Dined on 7/18/2014Love this place! Staff has always been great and friendly when we've gone there for dinner. It does get a little loud when there's a band, but it's still great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014We went for dinner with friends. It was easy to get the time we wanted for our reservation. The food was delicious, server was attentive. We had a fun timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PinkyDined on 7/6/2014Food was great as always! It is a good budget friendly place to have a good meal, and great for celebrating a special occasion! I would recommend this to all of the foodies out there! Definitely try the onion strings!!!Special Features:
- Never again.JimBDined on 7/6/2014We have been to the Cats several times since its reopening. It must have changed owners since our last visit because everything that was good before was now bad. I don't think anyone working there was over the age of 25 and they were dressed in all manner of clothes, previously they wore Cats T shirts. They had no wine or beer list available, no bread basket for the table, no salad included with the entrée. The menu had completely changed and not for the better. I had a glass of house cabernet, it was $13. The Cats was a huge disappointment, we will never go back. I expect they will have a for lease or sale sign posted very soon.
- Los Gatos GemCulvettDined on 7/3/2014Before the renovation and re-opening of the Cats Restaurant & Tavern we were regular customers, and now it is even better. The renovation has brightened the atmosphere and the same great food with some additions is fantastic. It is a local Los Gatos Gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go To The CatsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2014Really good food, specializing in barbecue, historic renovated building. Live entertainment, large bar, dance floor. If you live in the South Bay, you need to go. It's on H17 in Los Gatos, just before Lexington Resevoir.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQraygunsDined on 6/29/2014I’m a BBQ enthusiast and usually BBQ two to three nights a week. I’m a big fan of Paul Kirk and have BBQ’d or smoked 100’s of his recipes from his Championship Barbeque cookbook. When I heard your ad on KFOX that you had two Paul Kirk certified pit masters – we had to give Cat’s a try. We were not disappointed, the food was great, the service was great, and we really liked the casual ambiance. To steal a phrase from the Terminator – “I’ll be back”Special Features:
- Good BBQKappylandDined on 6/20/2014Haven't been here in a long time. Did not disappoint. Mentioned it was a birthday dinner with my reservation. They recognized that when sitting us and even gave us a special menu with 'Happy Birthday' at the top. Had ribs, chicken, and pulled pork. Great food & service. Will make sure to return again.Special Features:
- Bad experience at Cats RestaurantBummedDined on 6/18/2014The $27 New York steak was thin as opposed to thicker as it was sold to us by the waiter. It was grissely and the texture was horrible. I question whether or not it was a NY steak? The ribs on one plate were tiny as oppossed to the ribs on another plate and we ordered the same thing (chicken and ribs). The background music (not the band) that was playing while we ate was super loud, we asked for it to be lowered and it was a problem for the waiter. Anything we asked the waiter for it was a problem for him, he acted as though he would be doing us a huge favor and was always very doubtful he could do what we requested.Special Features:
- On the downslide....OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/14/2014We used to love coming to The Cats. The food is good BBQ with generous portions. This time it felt like kids were running the place. There were 3 bartenders, yet drinks (in the bar area) took 20+ minutes to get! They tried to deliver us food twice that wasn't ours. We ordered an appetizer & it never came. Our entrees came after 55 minutes. No apologies for slow service or update as to why, until after we let them know. When we were leaving, I went to go down the stairs and one of the food delivery guys has tripped going up the stairs and yelled f*$k! Caesar salad was all over the stairs and he's asking what do I do? How do I clean this up? Seriously? Kids running the place.
- Cats was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2014Great food and our waiter, Jacob, was terrific! Great recommendations and superb serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steve CoombezoomDined on 6/8/2014I must say you can't beat the food. The service was not as good as we have come to expect in the USA.Special Features:
- Great BBQ.Stearnzy33Dined on 6/7/2014The ribs were amazing! It's a fantastic local spot that is pretty busy on a Saturday night with outstanding BBQ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special PlaceValBDined on 6/6/2014The Cats Restaurant and Tavern is a warm friendly rustic place, with amazing food and wonderful servers. The building dates back to the 1880's, when it was a stagecoach stop, so the outside doesn't speak to the quality of the food served there. The décor is a step back into time, when the land was untamed and the west was wild. Fun place, wonderful food and great bands. We love the Cats!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservationsfood4thoughtDined on 5/31/2014We had reservations (recommended) and arrived about 15 minutes early. We were seated right away. Very nice.Special Features:
- Friday night gathering placejakerake63Dined on 5/30/2014Met our friends for a celebratory dinner and was very pleased with the meal. The noise level was a bit high so don't expect to have a nice conversation. There were families there but I wouldn't recommend bringing kids...after dinner music was played in the bar area and it was great! There should be a dance area because the waitresses were swerving to miss those that were dancing. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Good foodSusanDined on 5/25/2014The food is good but the noise level is a problem. To loud. The service is slow but friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cats NOOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Two of us were seated upstairs with a LOUD group of people. Unable to hold a conversation in such a small room. The Worst thing was no babyback ribs being on the menu. My wife had the salmon and it was just so/so and over priced for a piece of fish and a potato that had not enough butter or so called loaded garnishes 24$. Waiter didn't know what beer was available. The St. Louis ribs were good. Had to ask for more butter also. So after coming here 30 years ago the place had gone downhill! Overpriced and seated next to the liquor locker felt like not eating at a true restaurant!
- Open Table Works!JulietDined on 5/23/2014I even thanked the hostess on our way out for reading my special request in the comment area when making our reservation. We were celebrating a belated birthday and a successful biz trip from out of the country and I had requested a romantic table, and that we were going to linger and dance to the music. It was a special night. We got the romantic table!! It was Sat. night at 8 p.m. too! We got one of the best tables in the house. What a memorable night. The Cats is one of my favorite places to eat and listen to music. This restaurant has a great history, and the owners have done a magnificent job renovating, rewiring, re-everything. What a great place to celebrate, or just go for a drink. Thank you The Cats! JuiletSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodtiggerz67Dined on 5/23/2014Food was really good. Nice friendly staff. .Only issue was service. We were 6adult 2kids. 3 beer 1 special and 4sodas took about 10min for drinks and waited additional 5when he forgot 1soda. No refills offered had to ask. Food came out in intervals 2 at a time with long wait in between.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local restaurantjosinDined on 5/22/2014The Cats is a great local restaurant in Los Gatos. The pulled pork is awesome and the ribs are wonderful. The service was excellent and friendly.Special Features:
- Poor catpaulkVIPDined on 5/18/2014When it reopened, it exceeded it's prior glory. Now, no bread, no salad, the baked beans had been baked so much they were clay, and the service- it was as if they brought the gardener in to work the dinner shift.Special Features:
- Great Food, but service not a matchTiffer2TellVIPDined on 5/17/2014Went with a group of 12 on a Saturday night. Have a reservation more than a week in advance. Had to wait more than 30 minutes for them to get our table together. Then they put a brand new waitress with us. The poor thing tried her best, but didn't know the menu and was extremely slow on getting us drinks. The appetizers came out slow and we didn't get everything we ordered. The entrees came out separately and our whole table we waiting for quite a long time and we all finished at separate times. Great food but horrible service. Not her fault...but management should NOT have done that too her on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- Not the Cats meowNoviceDined on 5/16/2014Food was good. Service was less than good. Took forever to get a not dirty wine glass replaced. Appetizers came half way thru the main course. Salad came at the same time as the main course, not before (as normal). No water refills. When going to this place, it is your responsibility to keep the courses in proper sequence.Special Features: