The Capital Grille - Washington DC
601 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Washington DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 2027376200x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Saturday: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Wednesday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Thursday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Bryan Thomas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Washington DC
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located on the corner of 6th and Pennsylvania.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Capital Grille - Washington DC - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
The Capital Grille - Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
214 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (146)notable wine list (105)fit for foodies (71)romantic (68)good for groups (56)great for lunch (54)vibrant bar scene (42)hot spot (39)neighborhood gem (23)great for brunch (10)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (7)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great service, great food, bad hostOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014Host was very short with us and we had to wait 15 minutes after our reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food!YummyVIPDined on 9/17/2014I really appreciate that my waiter suggested a different salad that was simply delicious. Great when you are steered in the right direction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelenteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Deliciosos y con un ambiente perfecto, es literalmente lo que uno se imagina de WashingtonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasionluv2eatoutDined on 9/13/2014We have a couple of restaurants that we frequent for special events, Birthdays, Anniversaries etc. The Capital Grille is one of them. Never disappointed. The DC Capital Grille is one of our favorites. Location in downtown DC with a view of the Capital adds to the incredible dining experience. We have been to this Capital Grille several times and were never disappointed. Service, food, and ambiance is outstanding. Will definitely return again. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014great waiter, steak could have been hotter. Plate should have been hot so food would be warmerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarvelousPookieDined on 9/10/2014Noisy yet quiet enough for the average conversation to take place.Special Features:
- Saturday Fun at The Cap GrilleMSE1210VIPDined on 9/6/2014We brought another couple with us to The Capital Grille in Washington, DC on Saturday night. We were greeted warmly by the hostess and managers on duty. They put us in a cozy booth in the back, so we could easily chat with our friends. The Wine Manager and the server were both very happy to offer wine recommendations based on our price range. We enjoyed a variety of fresh delicious salads. We all had different cuts of steak, and all were fantastic. We had some sauteed spinach and cream corn with bacon for sides, and everything was really delicious. We also shared some of the fresh desserts to have a little something sweet to end our evening. Everything was first class! We had a total blast.Special Features:
- Foodlover70Dined on 9/4/2014Food, drink, service, ambience were excellent. Restaurant very loud.. I was seated next to a table of six very boisterous customers. I couid hardly hear myself think .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BestDiningIsFunDined on 9/2/2014We were treated like stars. Manny, our waiter went the extra mile. He described the specials in a way that made them sound so delicious, I changed my original selection. When I was concerned with the sharpness of the cheese on the salad, he offered to put it on the side to see if I liked it. We ordered the filet mignon w/crab and my coworker ordered her steak well done. He offered to serve it open. I cannot say enough about him, his service, and his personality. He was kind, courteous, pleasant, attentive, accommodating, and well mannered and just an all around great waiter. Everyone in the restaurant was extremely nice; the restaurant atmosphere inviting. The food was so delicious and full of flavor. This will be our choice for the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dining and wine tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014My family came here when we were visiting my brother in DC, and we were really impressed by our whole experience. The kona crusted sirloin and the sea bass were standouts, as was the spinach salad. Three of us tried the wine tasting they had available that evening and it was a really terrific selection of reds and whites. Our server was knowledgeable, friendly and on top of all our needs throughout the meal. We will absolutely return on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DC VisitToniDined on 8/30/2014Made reservations during a DC visit, took about 10 minutes for table to be ready. Service was excellent. Waitress was on top of everything. Food was delicious. Large variety of wine. Pricey, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy dinner at The Cap GrilleMSE1210VIPDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary at The Capital Grille last Saturday night. They set us up at a cozy booth in the back of the restaurant. They put some cute red hearts on the table. We enjoyed crisp and fresh salads. We had phenomenal New York Strip steaks. Then we had a little fun dessert to celebrate our anniversary. The management team congratulated us on our anniversary. Our server made us feel very comfortable to take our time, and to enjoy our evening. It was PERFECT! We will have all of our special occasion dinners at The Capital Grille on Pennsylvania Avenue in DC. Thanks to all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good serviceghawk16VIPDined on 8/28/2014Very good service and exceptional food. The lobster Mac n Cheeze is amazing. Big chunks of lobster! The 30 day aged NY steak was perfectly cooked! Would recommend to allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/28/2014Outstanding experience from the food to the wine and especially to the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cap Grille never disappoints.NathanBishopDined on 8/28/2014Classic place where the service and food is always spot on. Steaks and wine selection is fantastic. Can't go wrong at Cap GillleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frequentdinerVIPDined on 8/26/2014The waiter, Manuel, was excellent. Very accommodating and excellent table side manner! The food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Front desk staff are jerksMinnesotaNice12Dined on 8/23/2014Great food, nice restaurant, but the woman at the front desk is as rude as it gets...
- winoDined on 8/20/2014Excellent service and meal! The host was very pleasant and our server was very knowledgeable of the menu and winesSpecial Features:
- Good but not excellentIEBODined on 8/19/2014Maybe I was expecting more, but for my experience with this kind of quite expensive restourant, the food was good but not excellent, and I had far more better steak than here. The red wine was served from refrigerator (sorry, I'm Italian, red wine should not go in refrigeretor) and the waiter was not very communicative (another one barely speak english). So, my rating is good but but not as expected.Special Features:
- FantasticLisaGDined on 8/18/2014The food and service were both impeccable. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatouterVIPDined on 8/17/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Capital Grille. It was Restaurant Week, but we were not treated like second-class citizens. The service was very attentive and the quality of the food was outstanding. There were ample choices for the Restaurant Week special and our waitress was very knowledgeable and helpful. The only downside was that I accidentally left my rain jacket on a chair and had to return the next day to pick it up. The management had found it and saved it for me, so this was not difficult.Special Features:
- Great food+great service=great timeDCNativeDined on 8/17/2014The food was as delicious as always and our server went above and beyond to help without being overly attentive. Extra bonus that we were able to take advantage of restaurant week.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseqdpie78Dined on 8/16/2014I went for restaurant week. Got the lamb which was amazing. I will definitely be back for their regular menu. Excellent service and a beautiful intimate setting though they could use a little more lighting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodBandBDined on 8/16/2014The menu for the Restaurant Week was impressive and the Filet was without a doubt the best we have found in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for workFaceDined on 8/15/2014I wouldn't pay for the food here myself, it was good but massively overpriced for what it was. Was glad I tried this out over restaurant week. Dessert was fabulous but the rest was good to average!I would recommend this to a friend.
- JFoodieDined on 8/15/2014Amazing food and service. Our waiter, Manuel, made us feel like we were his only table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great placemaryDined on 8/15/2014We had a wonderful dining experience. We would go there again! Excellent food, great service, wonderful atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbFFFanVIPDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant did not disappoint for Restaurant Week!!Special Features:
- One of the BestJaywestVIPDined on 8/14/2014We visited during Restaurant Week, although you never would have known. Unlike other establishments, the Capital Grille delivers an outstanding product, on par with their normal menu. The quality and quantity of the food was outstanding. The service was impeccable and the ambiance is always a treat. I love the Capital Grille and encourage all to try it for your special occasion.Special Features:
- Terrific Restaurant Week LunchCathyDined on 8/14/2014Capital Grille is a favorite in my group for celebrating birthdays and special occasions. The service is always great -- if you go for Restaurant Week, they are genuinely welcoming. The cappuccino there is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014We had a wonderful time at The Capital Grille. We were celebrating a special occasion, and they made the entire evening perfect. The food was delicious and the wine list was impressive. We'll definitely be back in the future.Special Features:
- Great Sirloin!!RCMDDined on 8/12/2014Together with my friend we had a girls night out at this restaurant and we all loved it. The service was great!! the staff were very kind and polite. The food was good, especially the aged bone-in-sirloin, and everything were very smooth. I'll definitely recommended and I'll be back myself. Enjoy!!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week menulobsterdealDined on 8/12/2014A really nice menu for Restaurant Week. Excellent food and great choices. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- Topnotch!SurferVIPDined on 8/12/2014Food was outstanding as well as the service. Can't beat the quality and character of this place - especially during Restaurant Week. Exemplary.Special Features:
- Infantry105geomeoDined on 8/12/2014Outstanding meal, one of the finest steaks I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Nice ExperienceBevSDined on 8/11/2014We visited for restaurant week and were happy with our dinner and food but expected a little more. The side portions were a bit small for four people. Salad and soup were very good, steaks were good (not excellent) and the wines were nice. The restaurant is very pricey though and my previous restaurant week experience was better. The first time I ate at Capital Grille, the side portions were larger and tastier, the steaks were phenomenal and the desserts were much better. We had some tart berries in our deserts, which were good, not great. Valet service was efficient and convenient. Service was very pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant week lunchoccasionaleaterDined on 8/11/2014Service and food were superb. Waiter actually pushed the restaurant week menu, which was broad enough to appeal to most palates, although in the past I have ordered off the regular menu during restaurant week. Had the salad, filet mignon, and berries, and left full, happy and feeling like I got a bargain at an excellent restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food. GREAT Service.BrianDined on 8/7/2014I was in DC for work and in need of a good dinner. A friend sent me here and it did not disappoint. My server, Eric, was phenomenal. My steak was perfect and a tip of the hat to the wine list. The only thing that irked me (and I know this is me sounding like a snob, apologies) was the table next to me was seated and one of the people was wearing running shoes, a t-shirt and cargo shorts. I know it's DC in the summer, but come on... This is a great restaurant. I'm not suggesting people wear formal attire but gym clothes? Disappointing. More with society than Capital Grille I suppose. If you go, ask for Eric. He took great care of me. He even had the kitchen make my steak in a way not listed on the menu. Just delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great vip venuebsoxboyDined on 8/4/2014our party enjoyed a great evening dining at the Capital Grille. terrific beef... wonderful service in the DC hot spot.Special Features:
- rocky start, great finishdcdineDined on 8/2/2014We did not have a good experience with the host / hostess service AT ALL, so I was happy that the rest of the night was a big improvement. We had a reservation for 8:00, and arrived at 7:55. The hostess told us our table wasn't ready, so we could wait at the bar. She then left for the evening, and didn't tell anyone that we were there. I checked back in at 8:05, and the host said that he would check on our table, and I pointed to where we were sitting in the bar.....nothing. We checked back in at 8:15, and the host said that our table was ready but they didn't know where to find us. After we were seated, the night changed. Our server was very attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. The food was excellent and arrived quickly.Special Features: