The Capital Grille - Washington DC
601 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Washington DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: (202) 737-6200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Saturday: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Wednesday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Thursday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Bryan Thomas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Washington DC
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located on the corner of 6th and Pennsylvania.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
The Capital Grille - Washington DC - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
The Capital Grille - Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
228 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (154)notable wine list (118)fit for foodies (99)romantic (76)good for groups (69)great for lunch (62)hot spot (44)vibrant bar scene (42)neighborhood gem (29)great for brunch (13)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Food was fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014The Kona steak is the best. Great wine selections and a exceptional wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionSearchingForGreatFoodDined on 11/22/2014Upscale longtime DC establishment. Great for special occasion celebrations or impressing a client. Service is fabulous and very attentive. A nice list of specialty cocktails. Food was very good.Special Features:
- Good DiningHighlyRecommendedDined on 11/15/2014My wife and I, enjoyed our meal overall. Everything was delicious except for the evening special --- Kansas City steak. The description given by the waiter, who was excellent by the way, sounded wonderful. What we got was - to put it mildly - not good. The steak was top with tons of various spices and some sort of rub that made it char when cooked. Thank goodness we got the lobster / steak combo. The lobster was prepared to perfection. I should have stuck with my normal NY strip. The special salad was tasty and fresh. The special soup, lobster bisque, had a single chuck of indeterminable meat, presumably Lobster served at room temperature at best. I should have stuck with my normal clam chowder. Our normal side dishes were above average as always. Our drinks/wine for the evening were spot on. In fact, I was quite impressed with the waiter ' s broad knowledge of the wine list. Despite the disappointment with the steak - which I would have surely sent back were it not for the fact that we had a show to catch - the spirit of the evening was quite high due in large measure to the genuineness of the staff. From the initial greeting and wishing me a Happy Birthday to the complimentary dessert treat with happy birthday written on the plate on chocolate (nice touch I might add), the dining experience was a success.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Girls Night Out at The Capital GrilleMSE1210VIPDined on 11/14/2014Server Tom Stevens and the entire team did a superb job! We tried a variety of steaks, and were able to share them. Salads were crisp and fresh! Sides were tasty and a great compliment to our steaks. The three of us had a great time, and we'd love to do it again. Many thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulGwenieVIPDined on 11/14/2014Had a real good dinner there. Frances really took care of usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen closes at 3pm, but...TGAIIIDined on 11/13/2014We chose a reservation for 3pm based on our schedule. We arrived about 10 min late, but the staff was superb. They checked with the kitchen, and they accommodated our needs completely! The food and the service was outstanding, and we got a nice birthday touch from the staff. Allison our server and Feena our hostess were tremendous.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, long waitBridgetDined on 11/12/2014Even with a reservation we had to wait 30 minutes to be sat. With the reservation being at 8:30 and then not sitting down until 9, this made the experience last later into the night than we had expected. However, once we sat down the food was great as usual. We really enjoy this restaurant, but it can be a hit or miss for their front house organization at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just excellentMarkieDined on 11/11/2014We made a quick reservation while attending the Concert for Valor and popped in around 9pm... Wayne provided great service at our table and the food was REALLY outstanding... the Kona rub on the filet was great... a little pricey but isn't everything in DC ... it was well worth it !!Special Features:
- Great Sevice and LocationBeeGeeDined on 11/6/2014Been to several Capital Grille's....this one is in a great location. Seems like a power broker place. There the Friday after Congress was ousted by the GOP. Lots of celebrating. Service and people are top notch!Special Features:
- Always FantasticTomboDined on 11/6/2014Capital Grille remains a go-to for a fantastic steak, excellent service and a special night.Special Features:
- LikeGoodFoodDined on 11/5/2014The food was ok, but did not justify the price. Asked for a filet Pittsburgh style and didn't get it...at 50 bucks for a piece of meat better know how to cook it.Special Features:
- OpentableuserVIPDined on 11/4/2014A very good experience. Food and service was excellent. Be sure to have reservations. We will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks at Capital GrilleMatt02Dined on 11/2/2014Dined early on Sundsy night when it wasn't crowded. Food cooked just right, everything flavorful. Our waiter Manuel Portocarrero attentive without hovering. Our only complaint was the hostess- did not look up from her computer as we greeted her with our reservation time and name. she initially placed us at a table next to a family with loud small child 2-3 yrs old and a crying baby. We asked to be seated at a booth which the waiter handled. When we left the restaurant the hostess did say "goodnight" but again never looked up from the computer. Door man extremely friendly and helpful hailing us a cab back to our hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect PairingVickiDined on 11/1/2014Went for the Wagyu Burger & Wine pairing and was not disappointed. The Cheeseburger with fried egg and crispy onions was cooked perfectly. seasoned well, tender and juicy. The Jordan Cabernet paired be beautifully with the wonderful rich flavor of the Wagyu. Get it while it lasts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twins1MomDined on 10/31/2014My family and I were celebrating a special event and very much enjoyed the food and the service at the DC Capital Grille. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- SadOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/29/2014Quality of food and service was disappointing and misaligned with the price structure. Our request communicated during the reservation process for a table where conversation could be facilitated, resulted in a table next to one with a child that screamed through dinner. Previously, we could rely on this restaurant to deliver. Is the restaurant resting on its laurels?
- The Usual ExcellenceTommy13VIPDined on 10/29/2014I always enjoy The Capital Grille. From being shown to my favorite seating area (I am not a super regular), to being greeted by name, it is a good feeling. Two of us ordered the lobster salad. It was plentiful with a very lovely vinaigrette. The best part is that it is low in fat and calories. This is a favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencetxjaybirdVIPDined on 10/26/2014We had a wonderful meal here after running the Marine Corps Marathon (my husband) and 10K (me). There was variety on the menu, the server's recommendations were excellent, we enjoyed playing w the iPad wine list, and the food was delicious. The server was outstanding--made good recommendations, had perfect timing and service. His name is Michael Frank and he was so thoughtful. We will definitely come back again--and we'll ask for Michael!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect, as always.rowdypartyDined on 10/24/2014Had the bone-in filet with porcini rub, filet and lobster, 2 salads, 4 cocktails. $275 including 20% tip. Everything was outstanding. The steaks and lobster were perfectly cooked. A stand out was the service from waiter, Daniel and his crew.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliablegibbsVIPDined on 10/20/2014You always know you'll have great service, food and atmosphere at the Grille!
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/19/2014Great place for a birthday celebration. Spectacular food, amazing atmosphere and service.Special Features:
- Excellant ServiceTdineVIPDined on 10/18/2014Although it's not my first time dining w/Capital Grille, it's notable to mention that once again the service was impeccable. Manuel will make sure that you'll have an enjoyable evening. The food was great too and you can make a meal off the appetizers.Special Features:
- ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/15/2014I have eaten in a number of Capital Grille restaurants throughout the country and the Cap Grille in DC lives up to the high standards of the others. Had a great bone-in filet with the Kona coffee rub - hard to beat. Excellent service and good wine list. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great business lunch placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/10/2014The perfect place for conducting business in a warm, "old time steak house" atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great restaurantLubyVIPDined on 10/8/2014If you want great service, great food, and a great ambiance, Capital Grille is the place to go. Josselyn Essey is the best server in the world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top quality steak houseparkyDined on 10/4/2014Not cheap, but then the quality of the food makes up for it. Service is excellent with experienced wait staff. We were seated within 3 minutes of arriving. It was my wife's birthday so they had sprinkled little party confetti on the booth that was reserved for us. All in all your guests will not be disappointed if you bring them here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFood4youDined on 10/3/2014Very good Service, friendly and very polite and a very good quality of Food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerClearBluLoveDined on 9/26/2014Our Server Daniel, was the Absolute Best, he was Very attentive, timely and accommodating!! Kudos to the chef, the maple glazed salmon was prepared to perfection and crab cakes were prepared with just the right amount of seasoning and NO fillers!!!! My party enjoyed all that was served from the French onion soup to the beautiful grand steak seared to impress the ultimate meat lover!! I would highly recommend the Capital Grille for an Awesome dining experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulDCgirlDined on 9/24/2014If you are looking for a great steak house in DC this is it. Cozy and inviting. Ask for a booth to really make this feel like an old time political dinner....but this doesn't come cheaply...if you have wine count on 130.00 pp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terriffic Food and ServicePaulVIPDined on 9/23/2014We had never been to this Capital Grille before and were very pleased with the service, food preparation , and wine list. Reservations were made 4 weeks in advance and from the discussions, one does not just walk in and expect to get a table, particularly when Congress is in session as it is right across the street from the capitol. We will return again for sure. If staying a local hotel, (we were at 22nd and M), then expect a $10-15 taxi fee.Special Features:
- CONSISTENT!!PaulMikeDined on 9/21/2014Every Capitol Grill I've visited has been deliciously consistent & this is no exception. The food and service was top notch. I would recommend this establishment to anyone who doesn't mind spending a bit more for perfection.Special Features:
- Food was just ok, theft disturbingCharmCityDaveDined on 9/21/2014Food was ok, nothing to complain about but nothing that is going to drag me back either. We had the Special Delmonico Steaks with Kona rubs which were good but should have been served warmer. The Potatoes Au Gratin and Mushrooms were just ok. The Brussels Spout Salad was perhaps the highlight, lots of flavor. Crème Brule for desert of good, but again nothing special. As I drove there it was getting dark so I put my sun glasses away in the over the visor storage. Left after dark so didn't check for my glasses, but they were not there when I went to work in the morning. Search the car, under the seats no where to be found. They were expensive.Special Features:
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014The host was a little rude. Overall, the food and service was amazing, the Lobster Mac and Cheese and all time favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningPBMaxVIPDined on 9/20/2014Wonderful dinner. We went with our 91 year old mother who was in a wheelchair and very "opinionated". Our server Kylie was outstanding and was wonderful with our mother. We will be back.
- great birthdayctmomDined on 9/20/2014Took my son here for his 18th birthday - great food, great table with a view of the US Capitol, great service!Special Features:
- Perfect servicecollegedinerDined on 9/19/2014Absolutely pleased with every aspect of my dinner; the server was knowledgeable and attentive, the food came out timed with how our dinner was progressing, and the suggestions for every course were exactly what my date and I were looking for. Thank you so much to our server Adam, who made the experience one we'll try to replicate soon.Special Features:
- Great service, great food, bad hostMichellinmanVIPDined on 9/18/2014Host was very short with us and we had to wait 15 minutes after our reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnerSirReservesALotDined on 9/18/2014I was tasked with picking the restaurant for a business dinner for two men that have worked together for years and me and another new person to the group. The staff was fun and service oriented and put the group at ease. The atmosphere is classy but not stuffy and soon we were sharing stories and enjoying a great meal with new old friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food!YummyVIPDined on 9/17/2014I really appreciate that my waiter suggested a different salad that was simply delicious. Great when you are steered in the right direction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelenteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Deliciosos y con un ambiente perfecto, es literalmente lo que uno se imagina de WashingtonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.