The Capital Grille - Washington DC
601 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Washington DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 2027376200x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Saturday: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Wednesday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Thursday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Bryan Thomas
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Washington DC
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located on the corner of 6th and Pennsylvania.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Capital Grille - Washington DC - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
The Capital Grille - Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
229 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (153)notable wine list (112)fit for foodies (75)romantic (74)good for groups (61)great for lunch (55)vibrant bar scene (44)hot spot (41)neighborhood gem (27)late-night find (14)great for brunch (12)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (8)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Front desk staff are jerksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Great food, nice restaurant, but the woman at the front desk is as rude as it gets...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014Excellent service and meal! The host was very pleasant and our server was very knowledgeable of the menu and winesSpecial Features:
- Good but not excellentIEBODined on 8/19/2014Maybe I was expecting more, but for my experience with this kind of quite expensive restourant, the food was good but not excellent, and I had far more better steak than here. The red wine was served from refrigerator (sorry, I'm Italian, red wine should not go in refrigeretor) and the waiter was not very communicative (another one barely speak english). So, my rating is good but but not as expected.Special Features:
- FantasticLisaGDined on 8/18/2014The food and service were both impeccable. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatouterVIPDined on 8/17/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Capital Grille. It was Restaurant Week, but we were not treated like second-class citizens. The service was very attentive and the quality of the food was outstanding. There were ample choices for the Restaurant Week special and our waitress was very knowledgeable and helpful. The only downside was that I accidentally left my rain jacket on a chair and had to return the next day to pick it up. The management had found it and saved it for me, so this was not difficult.Special Features:
- Great food+great service=great timeDCNativeDined on 8/17/2014The food was as delicious as always and our server went above and beyond to help without being overly attentive. Extra bonus that we were able to take advantage of restaurant week.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseqdpie78Dined on 8/16/2014I went for restaurant week. Got the lamb which was amazing. I will definitely be back for their regular menu. Excellent service and a beautiful intimate setting though they could use a little more lighting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodBandBDined on 8/16/2014The menu for the Restaurant Week was impressive and the Filet was without a doubt the best we have found in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for workFaceDined on 8/15/2014I wouldn't pay for the food here myself, it was good but massively overpriced for what it was. Was glad I tried this out over restaurant week. Dessert was fabulous but the rest was good to average!I would recommend this to a friend.
- JFoodieDined on 8/15/2014Amazing food and service. Our waiter, Manuel, made us feel like we were his only table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great placemaryDined on 8/15/2014We had a wonderful dining experience. We would go there again! Excellent food, great service, wonderful atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbFFFanVIPDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant did not disappoint for Restaurant Week!!Special Features:
- One of the BestJaywestVIPDined on 8/14/2014We visited during Restaurant Week, although you never would have known. Unlike other establishments, the Capital Grille delivers an outstanding product, on par with their normal menu. The quality and quantity of the food was outstanding. The service was impeccable and the ambiance is always a treat. I love the Capital Grille and encourage all to try it for your special occasion.Special Features:
- Terrific Restaurant Week LunchCathyDined on 8/14/2014Capital Grille is a favorite in my group for celebrating birthdays and special occasions. The service is always great -- if you go for Restaurant Week, they are genuinely welcoming. The cappuccino there is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/13/2014We had a wonderful time at The Capital Grille. We were celebrating a special occasion, and they made the entire evening perfect. The food was delicious and the wine list was impressive. We'll definitely be back in the future.Special Features:
- Great Sirloin!!RCMDDined on 8/12/2014Together with my friend we had a girls night out at this restaurant and we all loved it. The service was great!! the staff were very kind and polite. The food was good, especially the aged bone-in-sirloin, and everything were very smooth. I'll definitely recommended and I'll be back myself. Enjoy!!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week menulobsterdealDined on 8/12/2014A really nice menu for Restaurant Week. Excellent food and great choices. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- Topnotch!SurferVIPDined on 8/12/2014Food was outstanding as well as the service. Can't beat the quality and character of this place - especially during Restaurant Week. Exemplary.Special Features:
- Infantry105geomeoDined on 8/12/2014Outstanding meal, one of the finest steaks I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Nice ExperienceBevSDined on 8/11/2014We visited for restaurant week and were happy with our dinner and food but expected a little more. The side portions were a bit small for four people. Salad and soup were very good, steaks were good (not excellent) and the wines were nice. The restaurant is very pricey though and my previous restaurant week experience was better. The first time I ate at Capital Grille, the side portions were larger and tastier, the steaks were phenomenal and the desserts were much better. We had some tart berries in our deserts, which were good, not great. Valet service was efficient and convenient. Service was very pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant week lunchoccasionaleaterDined on 8/11/2014Service and food were superb. Waiter actually pushed the restaurant week menu, which was broad enough to appeal to most palates, although in the past I have ordered off the regular menu during restaurant week. Had the salad, filet mignon, and berries, and left full, happy and feeling like I got a bargain at an excellent restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food. GREAT Service.BrianDined on 8/7/2014I was in DC for work and in need of a good dinner. A friend sent me here and it did not disappoint. My server, Eric, was phenomenal. My steak was perfect and a tip of the hat to the wine list. The only thing that irked me (and I know this is me sounding like a snob, apologies) was the table next to me was seated and one of the people was wearing running shoes, a t-shirt and cargo shorts. I know it's DC in the summer, but come on... This is a great restaurant. I'm not suggesting people wear formal attire but gym clothes? Disappointing. More with society than Capital Grille I suppose. If you go, ask for Eric. He took great care of me. He even had the kitchen make my steak in a way not listed on the menu. Just delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great vip venuebsoxboyDined on 8/4/2014our party enjoyed a great evening dining at the Capital Grille. terrific beef... wonderful service in the DC hot spot.Special Features:
- rocky start, great finishdcdineDined on 8/2/2014We did not have a good experience with the host / hostess service AT ALL, so I was happy that the rest of the night was a big improvement. We had a reservation for 8:00, and arrived at 7:55. The hostess told us our table wasn't ready, so we could wait at the bar. She then left for the evening, and didn't tell anyone that we were there. I checked back in at 8:05, and the host said that he would check on our table, and I pointed to where we were sitting in the bar.....nothing. We checked back in at 8:15, and the host said that our table was ready but they didn't know where to find us. After we were seated, the night changed. Our server was very attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. The food was excellent and arrived quickly.Special Features:
- WonderfulOutallthetimeDined on 8/1/2014I recently went here for a dinner with friends and it was wonderful. The food was amazing. Our server Tom did a wonderful recommending dishes for us to try and made us feel comfortable. Never once did we feel rushed. I can't wait to go back. It is one of the best restaurants in DC. I love this place.Special Features:
- Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Wonderful and professionally served restaurant a great place for an important business meeting.Special Features:
- Always SolidPntblRvwDined on 7/27/2014You always know you'll get an excellent steak and excellent service at the Capital Grille.Special Features:
- RemeVIPDined on 7/26/2014It is an excellent place. We are regulars at Capital Grille in Miami. We like the steaks, the French fries, salads and the wines. The Caesar salad and the wedge are outstanding. The desserts are also very good. Price is moderate.Special Features:
- Great restaurantALketVIPDined on 7/26/2014Capitol Grill is consistently one of the best restaurants that I eat at.Special Features:
- Always A Great MealDisappointedDined on 7/25/2014This particular location has been a standby for years. Food is consistently execellent and service is very good.Special Features:
- Ted BradytedgolfsDined on 7/22/2014Always look forward to returning to The Capital Grille, DC - Great food, service and energy ... This is a special place to enjoy a great steak and a bottle of wine.Special Features:
- The generous pourBETSYVIPDined on 7/22/2014The food was perfect and our waitress, Francis, made great pairing choices from the wines on the Generous Pour Promotion. I told my neighbor about our excellent experience and she and her husband are making reservations for this weekend.Special Features:
- Always a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/22/2014My husband and I go to Capital Grille mostly for special occasions, but this time it was just Tuesday! Service was excellent as always, our waiter, Adam Ruderman, was outstanding. Very personable and fun. The food was outstanding, I had the Kona crusted ribeye, my husband had the bone-in filet. We had lobster mac-and-cheesed and the creamed corn infused with bacon for sides. Absolutely delicious. Adam was able to work a deal and get us the wine we were interested and we were appreciative of his flexibility. We have never had a bad meal, or a bad experience at the Pennsylvania Ave location of Capital Grille. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Did not cut it for usOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014My expectation of this place where high and honestly, food and flavors were not there. Too expensive for what you are getting. And I dont mind paying, if the flavors are there. We were 4 in the table and none of us got the meat on the temperature we asked. Besides the meat is not That great. Ive had better on many other placesSpecial Features:
- Reliable SourceSFfoodcriticDined on 7/18/2014The Capital Grill is always a reliable source for a great dinner, either when I'm in Washington, DC, Chicago or anywhere else they have a restaurant. I had steak with lobster tails. The steak (as always) was great. The lobster tails were sweet and moist...some of the best lobster I have had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent ExcellenceMcgcruiserVIPDined on 7/18/2014Another great meal at The Capital Grille, but then again, it is what I expect from them.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/17/2014Service was so-so, waiter seemed to have a lot of tables and wasn't around as much as I would have liked for a restaurant as expensive as this one. Food came out quickly but our order was wrong when brought to the table initially. 2nd time around my sliced filet, which I ordered medium, was served to me medium rare, so I had to send it back again. My friend got the chicken confit and it was extremely DRY. Sides are made to share which I don't mind, but the french beans with heirloom tomatoes had more like 3-5 grape tomatoes buried in the bottom. Wine selection was very good. Waiter would drop off menus/check and disappear for extended periods of time, which was annoying. Had to ask hostess to track him down several times. Bar was packed.Special Features:
- made me waitsouthsiderVIPDined on 7/15/2014730 reservation but seated at 815. They bought us a drink while we waited and gave us free appetizers too, but it was a bad long wait.Special Features:
- great, but some locations betterjohnnyoDined on 7/14/2014Good food, good service. Average for the chain. Atlanta is the best, Vegas had better window views, but service was better here than Seattle, and so was the food!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every wayDsauvageDined on 7/14/2014Lobster Mac and the aged Delmonico steak were outstanding. Our server, Eric, was wonderful from start to finish. I would highly recommend as a great DC restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.