The Capital Grille - Providence
1 Union Station
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Providence
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 4015215600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Haist
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager.
A word from The Capital Grille - Providence
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in the heart of downtown Providence. Live entertainment available on Friday evenings from 7-11pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Capital Grille - Providence - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
The Capital Grille - Providence reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (117)romantic (78)notable wine list (76)good for groups (61)fit for foodies (56)vibrant bar scene (40)great for outdoor dining (37)great for lunch (36)neighborhood gem (29)hot spot (26)scenic view (21)late-night find (19)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Outstanding serviceLizBDined on 9/13/2014Outstanding service by our waiter Mark and bartender Tim. Expensive, but you know that if you know anything about The Capitol Grill. But, you also know the good, service and dining experience is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningPegknitsDined on 9/13/2014Went for a special anniversary. The entire staff seemed to take the time to offer congratulations. Rose petals on our reserved table. We were seated near a large party of approx. 20, made the noise level very high.Special Features:
- Never disappointsBelizVIPDined on 9/11/2014We go to Capital Grille for many special occasions. We are never disappointed. Service, food, wine. All good!Special Features:
- JimmyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Menu is considerably over-priced. Food is reasonably good although the steak tartar appetizer was far too piquant and the serving was far too large for an appetizer - and of course the price was commensurately high. The serving was bulked up with excessive egg, capers, onions. Entree prices were very high relative to the quality of the items and were again larger than necessary serving sizes. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningTomGDined on 9/6/2014Great food and warm friendly service- will not disappoint for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Royal Treatmenttaste2tellDined on 9/5/2014My son's choice for his 23rd Birthday. It was wonderful. We all enjoyed the evening, food, service and experience. We expect nothing less from Capital Grille, we were treated like we where family.Special Features:
- Great Service & FoodPatrickPDined on 9/2/2014My wife and I had dinner on our wedding anniversary. We could not have been treated better or made to feel more special. Service was outstanding and the food matched it. Can't say enough good things about this restaurant !Special Features:
- AnnieDined on 8/26/2014Amazing meal and impeccable service! Group work dinner- perfect location and delicious food! Our server Ken was the BEST!Special Features:
- Great for Waterfire nights!SaltNPeppaDined on 8/23/2014Food was top notch..however out of asparagus at 7pm?? 2 dinners 2 sides no alcohol $180 Great time..not rushed.Special Features:
- GreatBuffyDined on 8/20/2014Never disappointed. I have always a great meal and great service no matter the size of the party.Special Features:
- Over-PricedMassGuyDined on 8/17/2014We went on a Sunday night - very few people there. The restaurant is elegant and understated. Service - while not immediate - was very good overall - lacking small details such as not removing used sweetener packets until the end of the meal. Biggest disappointment was the food - not that it was bad, but it does not merit the extraordinarily high prices charged. Our bill, including tip, was $190.00. This was with one appetizer and one dessert, which we split, one glass of wine, two entrees and two sides. The heirloom tomato and mozzarella appetizer was OK, the tomatoes were good, but the mozzarella was at best pedestrian. Our entrees (sliced filet and lamb chops) were ordered medium but came medium-well. Dessert was OK.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsTscott03Dined on 8/15/2014Brought some people who had never been before, they were blown away. The food from beginning to end was perfect. Kona crusted bone in sirloin is the best steak I've had anywhere. The Capital Grill finds away to exceed my expectations every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday Dinner EverSouthcoastDined on 8/12/2014My sixteen year old daughter wanted a "fancy dinner", and chose Capitol Grille. The ambience, table setting, food and service were exceptional and without flaw. This is a dinner she will never forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Although we had to be an HOUR late for our reservation -- they held our table by the window with a nice view, as I had requested!! That was really nice of them. We were also given a champagne toast for the birthday dinner and a plate with desserts at the end of the meal that had happy birthday written in chocolate on the plate!! Nice. Food was good - service was done well - great night!!Special Features:
- Good as alwaysCentralMAfoodieDined on 8/9/2014My wife I had dinner here for her birthday and we had a fantastic meal. I am rarely let down by the Capital Grille. The one surprise (and it is was positive) was that we decided to try "the Generous Pour" wine selection they are offering this summer. It was actually a really good deal, which is not something I usually walk away from the Capital Grille saying. $25 per person to try several wines and then have glasses of those you like the most was a great way to sample some wines. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceJustbeinghonestDined on 8/2/2014Food and service was fantastic . Atmosphere is loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First DatefoodyhuntahDined on 7/29/2014I meet a woman it was a our first date and i normal would pick a nice resturant but this was top five nice in all of new england. she was sophisticated and intelligent. so that being said the crowd there is very upscale and please dress nice not jeans and a nice shirt nice but slacks wingtips and collard shirt nice. a must have is the wine tasting. but i ordered a champaign bottle much better then by the glass. truffle fries aren't as good as a years ago when i went there but that would be my only complaint and if you have to complain about the prices. you really should go or have gone to another place. this place is it when you won't to splurge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Night!fortheloveoffoodDined on 7/26/2014What a treat! I took my boyfriend here for a birthday surprise, and the two of us shared a leisurely dining experience with the most pleasant server. From start to finish, everything was divine. The blue crab cocktail melted in your mouth, as did the kona-crusted steaks and butter-poached lobster tails. Seating outside is especially nice, and even though there are people walking by and close enough to talk with, it doesn't feel intrusive. We were there on a full-lighting WaterFire night, and the restaurant is within a minute walk from one end of the display. I wanted this to be a special night, and The Capital Grille raised the bar! Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MimiDined on 7/25/2014We were at the Providence,RI Capital Grill. It is a favorite. This one is lively and fun even for older folks like us. We were celebrating an anniversary and our waiter,Ronny, could not have been finer, even bringing us dessert and champagne as a gift on the house. Also has a great location near Waterfire for which Providence is famous.Special Features:
- LovelyChrisVIPDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful evening dining outside with music sung by Tony Cerbo Food was good as was service but neither were outstanding.Special Features:
- AnniversaryAnniversary2Dined on 7/19/2014My husband and I went with another couple to celebrate both of our Anniversarys. Was amazing, food was wonderful and the service was awesome. We have never been, we will be back. If your looking for a special night out with your spouse, this is the place--great food, great wine--you will not want to leave. At the end they came out with cheese cakes and Happy Anniversay spelled out in chocolate---so yummy. Getting all dressed up and having great food and wine is the way to go! Love it we will be back!Special Features:
- You won't be disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014We had a wonderful experience at the Capital Grill. A strong pour at the bar, being seated at our table on time, a very thorough and friendly waiter, and then the food itself, which was just perfect.Special Features:
- Excellent EveningBSquaredDined on 7/19/2014Had a wonderful dining experience with my wife as we celebrated our anniversary. From the moment we entered the restaurant we felt like special guests at someone's home. The staff went out of their way to acknowledge our special occasion and to make the night memorable. Our waiter, Matt, was super attentive and allowed us to dine at a very enjoyable pace. From the hostess, to the bus boy, and all the way up to the general manager everyone was professional and friendly. The food was absolutely wonderful. Everything was prepared precisely to our liking and tasted wonderful. I've dined at most of the fine restaurants here in Providence, but I'd have to say that the Capital Grille is certainly in my top three. Well done Capital Grille!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014The food was very good, steak was cooked to my liking.Special Features:
- Another Perfect EveningChrisVIPDined on 7/18/2014Capital Grille's Outside Dining on a Friday night cannot be beat with great food and Tony Cerbo 's entertainment!Special Features:
- Very good service-OK food.winkyDined on 7/17/2014Service was very good-food was fine-just did not knock my socks off as it has before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Food, and AmbienceeecmDined on 7/16/2014Great place for a special occasion. Prices are high, but that is compensated by the excellent food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/16/2014Very efficient, non-invasive service. Excellent waitperson (Meaghan) was extremely professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Evening OutRayMikeDined on 7/15/2014We went during Providence Restaurant Week, besides being a bargain it was a delicious meal. Loved the rich and creamy clam chowder and the Caesar's salad. The service as expected was friendly and cordial. We each had the sirloin steak and they were perfectly cooked as ordered. The mashed potatoes were creamy, the string beans had a nice crunch to them, The basket of bread had a nice selection. The cheese cake was a good ending to a great meal.Special Features:
- Very accommodatingfrequentvisitorDined on 7/15/2014The food and service were outstanding. We had to change the time of our reservation at the last minute and they were very accommodating despite it being restaurant week and extremely busy. We had a party of seven and every individual enjoyed their meal choice. The portions were just right and the meal options were varied. The service was attentive and at no point was there a beat missed nor did anyone feel rushed. I would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific in all respects!JiminSoCoDined on 7/15/2014Four of us decided to have lunch here as part of restaurant week in Providence. We were not disappointed. The choices on the menu gave a idea of the quality that The Capital Grille is renown for. The food was excellent in all respects. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Really exceptional foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/13/2014I always dismiss this place as a chain of sorts, but every time I'm back, I remember that it has really great food. Even being here for restaurant week, where quality amongst some places undoubtedly drop, the service and food remained outstanding-will be back soon!Special Features:
- not so good servivefranksDined on 7/13/2014Food was very good as usual. The service was bad. We were asked if we would like additional sides. We said yes and they never came. They just collected our dishes. We were not asked if they could validate our parking ticket until we asked them. They supposedly validated it but had to pay $11 to get out. There was no validation. Even getting water was slow.Special Features:
- Great MealMEKDATDined on 7/12/2014Outstanding meal, service and ambiance! Both the Kona steak and the salmon were excellence, and we always love to dine outside if we can get a seat.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseDebhitchDined on 7/12/2014We hit restaurant week without knowing ! What a super deal. Everything was perfect from food to service to dining outside in July!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014Our dining experience was decent, however, the service was truly terrible. It took our waiter over 10 minutes to greet us and over 30 to place our order. This continued throughout our meal. He did not apologize, nor would he even make eye contact with us as he passed. When spending so much money, you hope to be treated special, and this was the opposite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Evening!GiniaDined on 7/11/2014My husband and I made reservations and requested a particular server who happened to be working outside this evening. It was a beautiful night and to our surprise there was live entertainment outside as well!! We had a fabulous dinner and participated in the "Generous Pour" which was a real treat! We danced to the tunes of Frank Sinatra and truly had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First disappointing visitloalDined on 7/11/2014We have been to this restaurant many times and have given it very good reviews prior to this. 1. We were not seated where we requested although there were tables in that station that remained available throughout our meal. 2. Approximately 10 minute wait to be greeted by our server who then said he would be with us in a few minutes. 3. A different server brought our our steaks while my wife had 1/2 of her chowder still in the bowl and asked her, while she was literally taking a spoonful, "Do you want to hold onto that for a while?" He then waited for my wife to move her bowl so he could set down the steaks. 4. Salad with steak was soggy and seemed to have been dressed for a long while.
- Anniversary dinnerSuzyQDined on 7/10/2014Took advantage of Providence Restaurant Week to try some place a little out of our price range. We were not disappointed! The food and service were terrific! The noise level was pretty loud, so it was not as easy to carry on quiet conversation. Overall, excellent!Special Features:
- bbacksoonDined on 7/10/2014Food and service was excellent! I would recommend it to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.