The Capital Grille - Providence
1 Union Station
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Providence
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: (401) 521-5600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Haist
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager.
A word from The Capital Grille - Providence
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in the heart of downtown Providence. Live entertainment available on Friday evenings from 7-11pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Capital Grille - Providence - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
The Capital Grille - Providence reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (95)notable wine list (71)romantic (65)fit for foodies (60)good for groups (48)vibrant bar scene (34)hot spot (26)neighborhood gem (25)great for outdoor dining (22)late-night find (17)scenic view (16)great for lunch (16)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Although we had to be an HOUR late for our reservation -- they held our table by the window with a nice view, as I had requested!! That was really nice of them. We were also given a champagne toast for the birthday dinner and a plate with desserts at the end of the meal that had happy birthday written in chocolate on the plate!! Nice. Food was good - service was done well - great night!!Special Features:
- Good as alwaysCentralMAfoodieDined on 8/9/2014My wife I had dinner here for her birthday and we had a fantastic meal. I am rarely let down by the Capital Grille. The one surprise (and it is was positive) was that we decided to try "the Generous Pour" wine selection they are offering this summer. It was actually a really good deal, which is not something I usually walk away from the Capital Grille saying. $25 per person to try several wines and then have glasses of those you like the most was a great way to sample some wines. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceJustbeinghonestDined on 8/2/2014Food and service was fantastic . Atmosphere is loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First DatefoodyhuntahDined on 7/29/2014I meet a woman it was a our first date and i normal would pick a nice resturant but this was top five nice in all of new england. she was sophisticated and intelligent. so that being said the crowd there is very upscale and please dress nice not jeans and a nice shirt nice but slacks wingtips and collard shirt nice. a must have is the wine tasting. but i ordered a champaign bottle much better then by the glass. truffle fries aren't as good as a years ago when i went there but that would be my only complaint and if you have to complain about the prices. you really should go or have gone to another place. this place is it when you won't to splurge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Night!fortheloveoffoodDined on 7/26/2014What a treat! I took my boyfriend here for a birthday surprise, and the two of us shared a leisurely dining experience with the most pleasant server. From start to finish, everything was divine. The blue crab cocktail melted in your mouth, as did the kona-crusted steaks and butter-poached lobster tails. Seating outside is especially nice, and even though there are people walking by and close enough to talk with, it doesn't feel intrusive. We were there on a full-lighting WaterFire night, and the restaurant is within a minute walk from one end of the display. I wanted this to be a special night, and The Capital Grille raised the bar! Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MimiDined on 7/25/2014We were at the Providence,RI Capital Grill. It is a favorite. This one is lively and fun even for older folks like us. We were celebrating an anniversary and our waiter,Ronny, could not have been finer, even bringing us dessert and champagne as a gift on the house. Also has a great location near Waterfire for which Providence is famous.Special Features:
- LovelyChrisVIPDined on 7/25/2014Wonderful evening dining outside with music sung by Tony Cerbo Food was good as was service but neither were outstanding.Special Features:
- The following 827 reviews are from the The Capital Grille - Providence reviews archive.
- AnniversaryAnniversary2Dined on 7/19/2014My husband and I went with another couple to celebrate both of our Anniversarys. Was amazing, food was wonderful and the service was awesome. We have never been, we will be back. If your looking for a special night out with your spouse, this is the place--great food, great wine--you will not want to leave. At the end they came out with cheese cakes and Happy Anniversay spelled out in chocolate---so yummy. Getting all dressed up and having great food and wine is the way to go! Love it we will be back!Special Features:
- You won't be disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014We had a wonderful experience at the Capital Grill. A strong pour at the bar, being seated at our table on time, a very thorough and friendly waiter, and then the food itself, which was just perfect.Special Features:
- Excellent EveningBSquaredDined on 7/19/2014Had a wonderful dining experience with my wife as we celebrated our anniversary. From the moment we entered the restaurant we felt like special guests at someone's home. The staff went out of their way to acknowledge our special occasion and to make the night memorable. Our waiter, Matt, was super attentive and allowed us to dine at a very enjoyable pace. From the hostess, to the bus boy, and all the way up to the general manager everyone was professional and friendly. The food was absolutely wonderful. Everything was prepared precisely to our liking and tasted wonderful. I've dined at most of the fine restaurants here in Providence, but I'd have to say that the Capital Grille is certainly in my top three. Well done Capital Grille!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014The food was very good, steak was cooked to my liking.Special Features:
- Another Perfect EveningChrisVIPDined on 7/18/2014Capital Grille's Outside Dining on a Friday night cannot be beat with great food and Tony Cerbo 's entertainment!Special Features:
- Very good service-OK food.winkyDined on 7/17/2014Service was very good-food was fine-just did not knock my socks off as it has before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Food, and AmbienceeecmDined on 7/16/2014Great place for a special occasion. Prices are high, but that is compensated by the excellent food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/16/2014Very efficient, non-invasive service. Excellent waitperson (Meaghan) was extremely professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Evening OutRayMikeDined on 7/15/2014We went during Providence Restaurant Week, besides being a bargain it was a delicious meal. Loved the rich and creamy clam chowder and the Caesar's salad. The service as expected was friendly and cordial. We each had the sirloin steak and they were perfectly cooked as ordered. The mashed potatoes were creamy, the string beans had a nice crunch to them, The basket of bread had a nice selection. The cheese cake was a good ending to a great meal.Special Features:
- Very accommodatingfrequentvisitorDined on 7/15/2014The food and service were outstanding. We had to change the time of our reservation at the last minute and they were very accommodating despite it being restaurant week and extremely busy. We had a party of seven and every individual enjoyed their meal choice. The portions were just right and the meal options were varied. The service was attentive and at no point was there a beat missed nor did anyone feel rushed. I would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific in all respects!JiminSoCoDined on 7/15/2014Four of us decided to have lunch here as part of restaurant week in Providence. We were not disappointed. The choices on the menu gave a idea of the quality that The Capital Grille is renown for. The food was excellent in all respects. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Really exceptional foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/13/2014I always dismiss this place as a chain of sorts, but every time I'm back, I remember that it has really great food. Even being here for restaurant week, where quality amongst some places undoubtedly drop, the service and food remained outstanding-will be back soon!Special Features:
- not so good servivefranksDined on 7/13/2014Food was very good as usual. The service was bad. We were asked if we would like additional sides. We said yes and they never came. They just collected our dishes. We were not asked if they could validate our parking ticket until we asked them. They supposedly validated it but had to pay $11 to get out. There was no validation. Even getting water was slow.Special Features:
- Great MealMEKDATDined on 7/12/2014Outstanding meal, service and ambiance! Both the Kona steak and the salmon were excellence, and we always love to dine outside if we can get a seat.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseDebhitchDined on 7/12/2014We hit restaurant week without knowing ! What a super deal. Everything was perfect from food to service to dining outside in July!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014Our dining experience was decent, however, the service was truly terrible. It took our waiter over 10 minutes to greet us and over 30 to place our order. This continued throughout our meal. He did not apologize, nor would he even make eye contact with us as he passed. When spending so much money, you hope to be treated special, and this was the opposite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Evening!GiniaDined on 7/11/2014My husband and I made reservations and requested a particular server who happened to be working outside this evening. It was a beautiful night and to our surprise there was live entertainment outside as well!! We had a fabulous dinner and participated in the "Generous Pour" which was a real treat! We danced to the tunes of Frank Sinatra and truly had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First disappointing visitloalDined on 7/11/2014We have been to this restaurant many times and have given it very good reviews prior to this. 1. We were not seated where we requested although there were tables in that station that remained available throughout our meal. 2. Approximately 10 minute wait to be greeted by our server who then said he would be with us in a few minutes. 3. A different server brought our our steaks while my wife had 1/2 of her chowder still in the bowl and asked her, while she was literally taking a spoonful, "Do you want to hold onto that for a while?" He then waited for my wife to move her bowl so he could set down the steaks. 4. Salad with steak was soggy and seemed to have been dressed for a long while.
- Anniversary dinnerSuzyQDined on 7/10/2014Took advantage of Providence Restaurant Week to try some place a little out of our price range. We were not disappointed! The food and service were terrific! The noise level was pretty loud, so it was not as easy to carry on quiet conversation. Overall, excellent!Special Features:
- bbacksoonDined on 7/10/2014Food and service was excellent! I would recommend it to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love restaurant weekpvdcookDined on 7/9/2014It was restaurant week. The menu even restricted had enough choices for every taste. The service was outstanding and the sirloin steak owas tender and juicy cooked to perfection. For once the green beans were crunchy but cooked, and the mashed potatoes were like velvet. Because we started with a delicious Cesar salad , we could not handle the dessert which we took home in a nice box and a small brown bag. I had the dessert two days later and the chocolate espresso cake tasted as fresh as the day it was made. In conclusion a very positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Perfect Night!!!CheetahMommaDined on 7/9/2014Everything was Fabulous from the moment we walked in the door, our table looked beautiful with rose petals all over, to the yummy drinks, the food was absolutely delicious and the dessert was to die for and a big shout out to our server Nicole Egan for making our first of many visits to The Capitol Grille a very memorable one, everyone was friendly, asked how the food was, even struck up conversations about other things, it was very relaxed and comfortable evening. I felt very fancy but yet down to earth, my husband and I will definitely be back to dine!!! Thank you 😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchlunchgirlDined on 7/9/2014The Staff here are wonderful. Polite, friendly and very helpful. We were there for lunch and it was served at a very leisurely pace. The food was excellent. The restaurant is very elegant inside. It is a great special occasion restaurant. The acoustics are not ideal and at times I could hear a hum of conversations in the background. However to put this in perspective it is very typical of restaurants in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/8/2014Although our visit was during restaurant week, the food and service were superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMaslpDined on 7/7/2014The food was outstanding and the wait staff was attentive. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BandjDined on 7/7/2014Good restaurant week choices. Excellent service. Perhaps slightly too quickSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best in RIjar321VIPDined on 7/6/2014Enjoyed a great meal and perfect service while dining with my wife, sister, and brother-in-law. Perfect place for many different occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerAnniversaryDined on 6/28/2014The food and service was wonderful. The restaurant went out of their way to make our anniversary feel special. We received champagne, appetizer, and dessert free of charge along with our table decorated with rose petals. I definitely plan on going here for future special occasions. I expected the food and service to be excellent and they did not disappoint. The restaurant exceeded my expectations with the little attention to details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a wonderful time.ArleneDined on 6/28/2014We were a little skeptical about visiting a restaurant which is part of a chain. We had negative experiences at other restaurants such as Flemings, who are part of a chain. But The Capital Grille was the complete opposite. The staff was wonderful, the food was delicious, and the environment was clean and comfortable. My wife and i would recommend this restaurant to anyone, and we definitely would become repeat customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- satisfied/ disapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014The ambince was verygood we had window seating, our server Joshua B. was outstanding it was my wifes birthday and he treated her great even gave her a birthday desert. I had the portherhouse and my wife had the filet migon both med meaning hot pink center which i felt was not cooked to a guality of a high level steakhouse, the beef looked like it was cooked at a low temp/ broiler outside of our beef had little color and 3/4 of our beef was med well. I would have expected our beef to be cooked at 1100' to give it a good seared.
- Always fantastic!sjwbigcasDined on 6/21/2014We love the service, the extra little perks (free: lobster appetizer!!!!) and the food is always perfect!!!Special Features:
- BirthdayPdanDined on 6/17/2014Took my son out for his 21st birthday. The wait staff went well above and beyond what I had expected! On top of that the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary celebrationLuePayetteDined on 6/14/2014Went there for our anniversary. Very professional but friendly at the same time. The appetizers and meal were outstanding and our waiter Joel was excellent. Would love to try this experience again.Special Features: