The Capital Grille - Providence
1 Union Station
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Providence
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 4015215600x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm; Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Haist
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager.
A word from The Capital Grille - Providence
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in the heart of downtown Providence. Live entertainment available on Friday evenings from 7-11pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Capital Grille - Providence - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
The Capital Grille - Providence reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (125)romantic (87)notable wine list (81)fit for foodies (66)good for groups (64)great for outdoor dining (42)vibrant bar scene (41)great for lunch (37)neighborhood gem (31)hot spot (29)late-night find (22)scenic view (21)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (6)Show More
- not so good servivefranksDined on 7/13/2014Food was very good as usual. The service was bad. We were asked if we would like additional sides. We said yes and they never came. They just collected our dishes. We were not asked if they could validate our parking ticket until we asked them. They supposedly validated it but had to pay $11 to get out. There was no validation. Even getting water was slow.Special Features:
- Great MealMEKDATDined on 7/12/2014Outstanding meal, service and ambiance! Both the Kona steak and the salmon were excellence, and we always love to dine outside if we can get a seat.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseDebhitchDined on 7/12/2014We hit restaurant week without knowing ! What a super deal. Everything was perfect from food to service to dining outside in July!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014Our dining experience was decent, however, the service was truly terrible. It took our waiter over 10 minutes to greet us and over 30 to place our order. This continued throughout our meal. He did not apologize, nor would he even make eye contact with us as he passed. When spending so much money, you hope to be treated special, and this was the opposite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Evening!GiniaDined on 7/11/2014My husband and I made reservations and requested a particular server who happened to be working outside this evening. It was a beautiful night and to our surprise there was live entertainment outside as well!! We had a fabulous dinner and participated in the "Generous Pour" which was a real treat! We danced to the tunes of Frank Sinatra and truly had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First disappointing visitloalDined on 7/11/2014We have been to this restaurant many times and have given it very good reviews prior to this. 1. We were not seated where we requested although there were tables in that station that remained available throughout our meal. 2. Approximately 10 minute wait to be greeted by our server who then said he would be with us in a few minutes. 3. A different server brought our our steaks while my wife had 1/2 of her chowder still in the bowl and asked her, while she was literally taking a spoonful, "Do you want to hold onto that for a while?" He then waited for my wife to move her bowl so he could set down the steaks. 4. Salad with steak was soggy and seemed to have been dressed for a long while.
- Anniversary dinnerSuzyQDined on 7/10/2014Took advantage of Providence Restaurant Week to try some place a little out of our price range. We were not disappointed! The food and service were terrific! The noise level was pretty loud, so it was not as easy to carry on quiet conversation. Overall, excellent!Special Features:
- bbacksoonDined on 7/10/2014Food and service was excellent! I would recommend it to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love restaurant weekpvdcookDined on 7/9/2014It was restaurant week. The menu even restricted had enough choices for every taste. The service was outstanding and the sirloin steak owas tender and juicy cooked to perfection. For once the green beans were crunchy but cooked, and the mashed potatoes were like velvet. Because we started with a delicious Cesar salad , we could not handle the dessert which we took home in a nice box and a small brown bag. I had the dessert two days later and the chocolate espresso cake tasted as fresh as the day it was made. In conclusion a very positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Perfect Night!!!CheetahMommaDined on 7/9/2014Everything was Fabulous from the moment we walked in the door, our table looked beautiful with rose petals all over, to the yummy drinks, the food was absolutely delicious and the dessert was to die for and a big shout out to our server Nicole Egan for making our first of many visits to The Capitol Grille a very memorable one, everyone was friendly, asked how the food was, even struck up conversations about other things, it was very relaxed and comfortable evening. I felt very fancy but yet down to earth, my husband and I will definitely be back to dine!!! Thank you 😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchlunchgirlDined on 7/9/2014The Staff here are wonderful. Polite, friendly and very helpful. We were there for lunch and it was served at a very leisurely pace. The food was excellent. The restaurant is very elegant inside. It is a great special occasion restaurant. The acoustics are not ideal and at times I could hear a hum of conversations in the background. However to put this in perspective it is very typical of restaurants in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/8/2014Although our visit was during restaurant week, the food and service were superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMaslpDined on 7/7/2014The food was outstanding and the wait staff was attentive. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BandjDined on 7/7/2014Good restaurant week choices. Excellent service. Perhaps slightly too quickSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best in RIjar321VIPDined on 7/6/2014Enjoyed a great meal and perfect service while dining with my wife, sister, and brother-in-law. Perfect place for many different occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerAnniversaryDined on 6/28/2014The food and service was wonderful. The restaurant went out of their way to make our anniversary feel special. We received champagne, appetizer, and dessert free of charge along with our table decorated with rose petals. I definitely plan on going here for future special occasions. I expected the food and service to be excellent and they did not disappoint. The restaurant exceeded my expectations with the little attention to details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a wonderful time.ArleneDined on 6/28/2014We were a little skeptical about visiting a restaurant which is part of a chain. We had negative experiences at other restaurants such as Flemings, who are part of a chain. But The Capital Grille was the complete opposite. The staff was wonderful, the food was delicious, and the environment was clean and comfortable. My wife and i would recommend this restaurant to anyone, and we definitely would become repeat customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- satisfied/ disapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014The ambince was verygood we had window seating, our server Joshua B. was outstanding it was my wifes birthday and he treated her great even gave her a birthday desert. I had the portherhouse and my wife had the filet migon both med meaning hot pink center which i felt was not cooked to a guality of a high level steakhouse, the beef looked like it was cooked at a low temp/ broiler outside of our beef had little color and 3/4 of our beef was med well. I would have expected our beef to be cooked at 1100' to give it a good seared.
- Always fantastic!sjwbigcasDined on 6/21/2014We love the service, the extra little perks (free: lobster appetizer!!!!) and the food is always perfect!!!Special Features:
- BirthdayPdanDined on 6/17/2014Took my son out for his 21st birthday. The wait staff went well above and beyond what I had expected! On top of that the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary celebrationLuePayetteDined on 6/14/2014Went there for our anniversary. Very professional but friendly at the same time. The appetizers and meal were outstanding and our waiter Joel was excellent. Would love to try this experience again.Special Features:
- outstandingajmarcantonioDined on 6/14/2014I live in CT and was in RI to visit and came here for dinner let me tell you that was one of the beat meals I have had in a long time. Will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dined Saturday 6/14GabbyDined on 6/14/2014We celebrated my birthday and Fathers day as we always do. Food is always fantastic as well as the service. Out Waiter was excellent. Our food was perfect until my hisbands steak arrived at the tabler. He ordered the Steak Special Medium and it was cooked well done. The steak was taken back and cooked another one, but my meal was already there. We ordered AuGratin Potato and we where served Mashed. We shared my steak. The right order of Potatoes came to us 3/4 of the way throught the meal. Husband steak was brought to the table still not cooked properly now it was to rear. This has to be one of our favorite resturants in RI and we where disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- heavy666Dined on 6/14/2014Upon entering we were asked what was the occasion for our visit. We explained that we are celebrating our birthdays. The wait staff decorated our table with birthday confetti and everyone that interacted with us wished us a happy birthday. When finished with our exquisite meal, the waiter and manager came over quietly with a happy birthday plate holding two delicious pieces of pastry and wished us a Happy Birthday. What a nice surprise! Between the food, wait staff, and finishing touches, our experience was very satisfactory. I would definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- If It's Steak You Want...ZimmyVIPDined on 6/7/2014There's no place else to go for the best. Very expensive, but you know that going in. The food, the preparation, the service is top shelf. Aside from food related elements, I particularly like the layout of the restaurants. Every table provides comfort, privacy, and even intimacy in a busy space. I hate the restaurants that seat you on top of one another. If you're into a splurge...Cap Grille is tough to beat...Special Features:
- Outstanding!Topaz2503Dined on 6/7/2014We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. The waiter was awesome! The food is above average. The bread basket is so... good. The steaks are outstanding! They gave us free desserts with champagne to celebrate our special day. There were rose petals on the table when we arrived. We go to Providence quite often as we love to eat at Federal Hill. The Capitol Grill is expensive but it's worth every penny. We will return without a doubt. An outstanding establishment in the heart of Providence. This place does not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchBucaBuddyDined on 6/4/2014Unless you are familiar with Providence, it can be hard to find as it is below ground and between buildings. However, this makes for a very nice place to meet. The service was outstanding with refreshed drinks being presented before the last sip was even taken and the food was excellent. Highly recommend for any occasion but mine was only for lunch.Special Features:
- The following 788 reviews are from the The Capital Grille - Providence reviews archive.
- Spectacular!Yummy1Dined on 5/30/2014Celebrated another birthday with friends and everything was perfection . Great place to have a SPECTULAR dinner . Waitstaff are very professional and helpful. Can't say enough about it. Will be coming back for sure!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tim our waiter deserves 10 starsjvgiiiDined on 5/28/2014We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and my wifes' s birthday. Tim gave us amazing unrushed service and the food was absolutely to die for. Tim even gave us a complimentary desert in recognition of our anniversary. Oh, the hostess also spread rose petals all over our table to recognize our special events. It was a night we will always remember! All positive, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- girlslunchgabfestgirlslunchgabfestDined on 5/24/2014Outstanding anniversary dinner, food, service, atmosphere all perfection.Special Features:
- pricey but goodLrombergDined on 5/23/2014food was excellent but extremely expensive...but perfect steakSpecial Features:
- Great graduation dinnerpaulieDined on 5/17/2014Took a group of 8 to celebrate my daugher's college graduation. The dinner could not have possibly been nicer. Ken, our waiter, was outstanding. The steaks, as always, were delicious. We will absolutely be back for my son's graduation dinner in about 51 weeks!Special Features:
- 1 year anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2014The food was amazing. The staff were friendly and knowledgable. They allowed me to drop of flowers to put on the table as well as serving our wedding cake for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Junglejayne60Dined on 5/11/2014Great food, great service. I have never been disappointed! Staff are very accommodating!Special Features:
- Wonderfulluv2dine15Dined on 5/9/2014Wonderful! We celebrated my son's 19th birthday and mother's day! They made it special. Decorated the table with 2 cards and rose petals. They gave a beautiful dessert plate with 2 diff cakes and choc happy bday on plate.also 2 champagne glasses. Wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably GreatAlwayslookingDined on 5/8/2014I haven't had the opportunity to dine here in awhile and it was nice to see them still playing at the top of their gameSpecial Features:
- 50th Birthday celebrationYummy1Dined on 5/3/2014It was my husbands 50th birthday and he had never been to the capitol grille before. I've been a few times with friendsand I just love the food and the atmosphere. It was a surprise and he was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. My 3 young children also came along and were excited to dress up and absolutely loved the steak, they also got a lobster dish. Our waiter was phenomenal and also brought a birthday surprise that was very unexpected . All in all it was a fabulous experience! We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Night Out for a Special NightBillDined on 5/3/2014The salads and steaks are terrific. The staff goes out of their day to make regular guests and new diners feel very welcome. This is my favor Capital Grille on the East Coast!Special Features:
- Five Star food, not on servicejulie1225Dined on 5/3/2014Excellent food, mediocre service for the price. Took a full 15 mins after everyone put their forks down to get attention. This was particularly awkward since it was a birthday. a dinner for 4 at over $500 (no drinks) I'd expect better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisVIPDined on 5/2/2014Would like more of a variety of salads and soup - a healthy menu should also be available.Special Features: