The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh
301 5th Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 4123389100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday -Friday: 11:00am – 3:45pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 4:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Travis Hall
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
186 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (129)notable wine list (98)romantic (74)fit for foodies (53)good for groups (41)great for lunch (32)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (17)neighborhood gem (8)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Good, could have been great........BobPVIPDined on 10/18/2014Table being set as we were led in, we were seated and handed napkins etc. Waitress seemed to be in a hurry, maybe too many tables to care for. Food was very good but steaks could have been at better temperature. They were done properly but needed to be warmer when they arrived at table. Good meal that could have been great with just a little better attention to detail. This visit did not come close to previous experiences.Special Features:
- My go-to restaurantMJfromPghVIPDined on 10/16/2014Whenever I can't decide where to take someone for lunch, I'm never ever disappointed at the Capital Grille. Food is great, service is excellent, nice atmosphere and can get in and out if pressed for time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capital Grille virgins no more!Love2dineDined on 10/14/2014Our dining experience was lovely at The Capital Grille. The food was yummy, the cocktail delish and the coffee perfect. Regretfully, we did not have room left for dessert, but we are sure that it would have delivered! The only negative, if even a negative, is the price could be a little easier on the wallet. All that said, The Capital Grille is another "go to" place for those "Special Occasions"!Special Features:
- #1 Restaurant!FoodiesDined on 10/11/2014As always, all of the staff at Capital Grille went above and beyond to make our anniversary celebration fantastic! As always our waiter Bruce F. went above and beyond to ensure that we had a spectacular experience. We tried the new twice-baked potatoes...out of this world in taste and presentation. Time and time again CG is the place to go for foodies and will always be our FAVORITE restaurant in Pittsburgh! This is why we will keep coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5* in Pittsburgh, But...AlexVIPDined on 10/6/2014I love Capital Grille, and the service & atmosphere at the Pittsburgh location is top notch. Rating it compared to other Pittsburgh steak locations, this is top of the line. But if you've been to other Cap Grille's, especially DC, this is a step below on food. I've been there a few times and some of the standard CG menu items just aren't as good. The prosciutto-wrapped mozzarella is too heavy on cheese, the calamari doesn't have that light, crispy feel, and the salads are usually heavy handed on one component. It's like there a deft touch missing from the preparation. I've had slightly disappointment ribeye cuts, and the last lobster we had was chewy and inedible. Avoid lobster, period. Still strongly recommend for special occasions.Special Features:
- amazing and wonderfultornado524Dined on 10/4/2014from the minute you walk in you are treated like a special guest... food was amazing....staff wonderful..food pricey but well worth it. It was our anniversary and they sprinkled heart confetti on table and gave us a glass of champagne....along with dessert at the end........definately would go back................Special Features:
- Go For The Steak Not The SidesFormerlyFaithfulDined on 10/4/2014Our dinner featured some excellent steaks. I appreciated the fact that one of our favorites wines was on the wine list. Also the bread was nice and warm and very diverse. However, a salad billed as "Field Greens" was almost all romaine and the green beans with heirloom tomatoes were raw, flooded with garlic, and had ordinary grape tomatoes on them. Also, salads were ordered without cheese and yet some crept into one of them. When sides are priced à la carte I expect them to be as high quality as the steaks. Alas, not last Saturday night.
- just okaystanleypieDined on 10/3/2014the service was very good, even though we asked for pepper a few times--never did get it---the filets were very good--the lobster bisque was great, but the petite lobster was a little overcooked and the crab cake was just okay--got a shell, as well as the scallops--a bit tough----the dessert was good except for the cheesecake, it was sour. probably won't go back--not worth $400.00 plus an $80 tipSpecial Features:
- Excellent Food & ServiceburghchickDined on 10/3/2014The service is always incredible. We sit in the lounge for a more casual feel. Can't find a better filet in the city. Cooked perfectly every time! The wine selection is top notch as well.Special Features:
- excellentIluvwineVIPDined on 9/28/2014This is one of my favorite steakhouse now. This was first visit for our anniversary. They took very good care of us. Noise level was low which was nice, however it was Sunday so not sure what noise level would be at other times such as Saturday. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingJanetDined on 9/27/2014A lovely place -- great food, excellent service! Our waitperson was exceptional--attentive, cordial, humorous, and engaging. I will most certainly visit again--soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SteakSharoncVIPDined on 9/26/2014Have been to many steak restaurants. First time here, and the food was very good. Not exceptional though and at these prices it should be.
- Not as good as in the pastCAP3Dined on 9/26/2014For the past 6 years we have been coming to the Capital Grille for my daughter's birthday. This year we were put in a back room next to a very loud party. Since we are all watching our diets, we did not order drinks or appetizers and the waitstaff seemed less attentive since we were only having entree's and ice teas. No glitter on the table for the celebration and no group picture of the table. Food was average--the mashed potatoes were runny and the halibut was flavorless. Needless to say my daughter wants to go somewhere else next year for her celebration.Special Features:
- Perfect for special occasionVisitorDined on 9/25/2014Small retirement lunch celebration. Service was great. Food was great. Walked in carrying a gift bag and the hostess put us in a private room (at no extra charge). Definitely do it again!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/23/2014Food is good but consistently under cooked despite special requestsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RGMJRDined on 9/22/2014everything was great. Could not have been better.Special Features:
- Consistently greattopratedVIPDined on 9/20/2014Capital Grill is exceptional in food and service at every location we have visited. Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect night to purposeSilverDined on 9/20/2014Was an awesome experience. Food was amazing and service was spectacular. Our matradee Greg was attentive. He snapped a picture of us and brought it out to us along with a complimentary dessert. They truly made our night extra special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014It was my boyfriend's birthday and I loved that they had the little birthday confetti on the table. My fish was EXCELLENT and so was his food. I felt like they made OUR special occasion THEIR special occassion.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentRoseVIPDined on 9/18/2014Took my friend to Capital Grille for her birthday lunch. We were seated at a table with sprinkles of confetti, welcomed with a glass of champagne, had a fabulous lunch, and a complimentary dessert trio -- very classy, great food, and top notch service. This is one of only a few restaurants that I consider consistently excellent all the way around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECTION!BigNightOutDined on 9/17/2014The Capital Grille was simply perfect - as always. The service was wonderful. The food was wonderful. The room is perfect. What a great find for lunch - delightful and reasonably priced. Thanks to the entire staff for making our anniversary perfect!Special Features:
- TravelfriendsVIPDined on 9/13/2014Always enjoy the Grille wherever we travel... A family favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014We celebrated our 20th anniversary here. The food was great, service good and the atmosphere was perfect. I recommend The Capital Grille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We discovered Capital Grille several years ago, in Florida, and were ecstatic to find one in Pittsburgh. We go for just about every special occasion, 2-3X/year, and it is ALWAYS the same fantastic food and wine selection, phenomenal service and superb ambience. It is so nice to see an outstanding restaurant like this maintaining the same standards time after time. Evidently, the word is out, because it is always crowded, though, remarkably not difficult to get a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than expectedFredDined on 9/8/2014We had a positive food experience. However, the service was a let down. Our waitress had at least 4 tables, one being in an adjacent room, and she was very stretched. As a result wine glasses empty and follow up was minimal. When we ordered a bottle of wine she asked to chill for a few minutes. In reality she had to take orders at two other tables. Wine was great, but timing was poor. We expected more for the prices we paid for the food and multiple bottles of wine.Special Features:
- Perfect for a nice steak dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014Made reservations for dinner the night before a Steelers game. Had to wait a little for our table but Seth at the bar kept us busy with a killer martini. The service was great, Rebecca was our server and extremely attentive. Our steaks were really good, perfectly cooked and seasoned. My only disappointment was that they don't have a porterhouse for two, which is our go-to steak meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont try so hard.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Some of the dishes are over complicated and feel like they are trying to reinvent the wheel. Just let a steak be a steak. Also its unnecessarily pricey. Every entree is about $45 yet most are not worth $30. The appetizers are also way overpriced for their content.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!RellenVIPDined on 9/5/2014The four of us had steaks, perfectly prepared and delicious, along with appetizers or salads and an assortment of sides. Each food item was beautifully presented and mouthwatering. Our server, Kenneth, was attentive and made certain our dining experience was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodtatergirlVIPDined on 9/2/2014The food and service was very good. Our entrees - steak / sesame encrusted ahi steak were very good. Good wine list and nice choices available.Special Features:
- Great steaksDeemackDined on 8/31/2014Great food and the steaks melted in my mouth. Service was friendly and fast. I would recommend the capital grill to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsRAK74Dined on 8/31/2014This is certainly one of the Very Best overall restaurant dining & celebration experiences that we have ever had. Was able to secure 'The Boardroom' for a private, family celebration of eight including 3 generations. Champagne was chilled upon arrival, grandchildren were able to choose from a nice menu & delivered fast & hot. Exceptional wine list. All 6 adults ordered something different with no one being disappointed. While know for their steaks, the seafood (sushi-cut tuna & sea bass) were also outstanding. The side of Lobster Mac it for & Cheese was a big hit for all. Finally, the service staff went out of their way to honor my wife with a personal 'Happy Birthday' dessert selection. We'll definitely be back! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerJohnZDined on 8/26/2014I came to the Capital Grille for my birthday and I was delighted by the dry-aged steak, and the wine selection. Excellent place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014Once again, the food preparation was uneven. Steak was overlooked. We had asked for medium rare plus and got fully medium and dry. Small steak for price. Ruth Chris is more consistent and a better experience. We had to ask the waiter at first if he was too busy to handle our table. He then became attentive and very nice. Not impressed with the kitchen at this Capital One.Special Features:
- experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014We always enjoy coming to the capital grill due to the outstanding food and great service. When we visited on Friday, August 22, we were disappointed in the service. As soon as we asked the waiter for menus from restaurant week, he then acted like he didn't want to serve us. Mind you it was extended an extra week and the reason why we didn't come during the first week was due to work and vacation. We felt rushed and the service lacked. Not friendly at all. Was disappointed and can only hope the service is better next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing the markKKfromPADined on 8/21/2014I was not blown away by our meal at The Capital Grille. What was once crafted to be a "dining experience" now just seems like slow service. The menu is not especially creative, and the interior is starting to look dated. I'm 42 years old and I felt like this is a place my parents would really appreciate for its basic offering and classic appearance... Until they got the check. $40+ for an average chunk of sea bass in tomato broth with no sides? I'll pay handsomely for wonderful food... This was good food (not great or excellent or memorable food) at top shelf prices. There are so many more interesting places to eat in Pittsburgh. I'm not sure why one would choose THIS place when you can find so much better just steps away. Sorry, CG.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/20/2014The sommelier is great. Restaurant week extended and the generous pour event at the same time: What a DEAL!Special Features:
- HudsonVIPDined on 8/18/2014Poor service and execution of food Not even close to other Cap Grills I've been to....would not return
- Great Restaurant Week dinner!ericabDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I always enjoy participating in restaurant week and were excited to see that Capital Grille was participating. The menu selections didn't disappoint and we opted to upgrade our selections for $10. Everything was fantastic and the server was very good. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and seriviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Initial impressions are classy, we had the private room in the back which was outstanding; food, service, wine were all greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFoodpornDined on 8/15/2014Down to the food, waiter, and service was phenomenal. Everytime I come here I have a wonderful time, great service and amazing food. The wine list was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.