The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh
301 5th Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 4123389100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday -Friday: 11:00am – 3:45pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 4:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Travis Hall
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (136)notable wine list (106)romantic (78)fit for foodies (52)good for groups (43)great for lunch (34)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (15)great for brunch (10)neighborhood gem (9)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great steaksOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Great food and the steaks melted in my mouth. Service was friendly and fast. I would recommend the capital grill to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsRAK74Dined on 8/31/2014This is certainly one of the Very Best overall restaurant dining & celebration experiences that we have ever had. Was able to secure 'The Boardroom' for a private, family celebration of eight including 3 generations. Champagne was chilled upon arrival, grandchildren were able to choose from a nice menu & delivered fast & hot. Exceptional wine list. All 6 adults ordered something different with no one being disappointed. While know for their steaks, the seafood (sushi-cut tuna & sea bass) were also outstanding. The side of Lobster Mac it for & Cheese was a big hit for all. Finally, the service staff went out of their way to honor my wife with a personal 'Happy Birthday' dessert selection. We'll definitely be back! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerJohnZDined on 8/26/2014I came to the Capital Grille for my birthday and I was delighted by the dry-aged steak, and the wine selection. Excellent place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014Once again, the food preparation was uneven. Steak was overlooked. We had asked for medium rare plus and got fully medium and dry. Small steak for price. Ruth Chris is more consistent and a better experience. We had to ask the waiter at first if he was too busy to handle our table. He then became attentive and very nice. Not impressed with the kitchen at this Capital One.Special Features:
- experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014We always enjoy coming to the capital grill due to the outstanding food and great service. When we visited on Friday, August 22, we were disappointed in the service. As soon as we asked the waiter for menus from restaurant week, he then acted like he didn't want to serve us. Mind you it was extended an extra week and the reason why we didn't come during the first week was due to work and vacation. We felt rushed and the service lacked. Not friendly at all. Was disappointed and can only hope the service is better next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing the markKKfromPADined on 8/21/2014I was not blown away by our meal at The Capital Grille. What was once crafted to be a "dining experience" now just seems like slow service. The menu is not especially creative, and the interior is starting to look dated. I'm 42 years old and I felt like this is a place my parents would really appreciate for its basic offering and classic appearance... Until they got the check. $40+ for an average chunk of sea bass in tomato broth with no sides? I'll pay handsomely for wonderful food... This was good food (not great or excellent or memorable food) at top shelf prices. There are so many more interesting places to eat in Pittsburgh. I'm not sure why one would choose THIS place when you can find so much better just steps away. Sorry, CG.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/20/2014The sommelier is great. Restaurant week extended and the generous pour event at the same time: What a DEAL!Special Features:
- HudsonVIPDined on 8/18/2014Poor service and execution of food Not even close to other Cap Grills I've been to....would not return
- Great Restaurant Week dinner!ericabDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I always enjoy participating in restaurant week and were excited to see that Capital Grille was participating. The menu selections didn't disappoint and we opted to upgrade our selections for $10. Everything was fantastic and the server was very good. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and seriviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Initial impressions are classy, we had the private room in the back which was outstanding; food, service, wine were all greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFoodpornDined on 8/15/2014Down to the food, waiter, and service was phenomenal. Everytime I come here I have a wonderful time, great service and amazing food. The wine list was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PinnersDined on 8/14/2014Fabulous! We will definitely go again. Service and food were wonderful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ONE OF THE BEST IN THE BURG!!!Sunbum17Dined on 8/14/2014I typically eat here for lunch and the food is outstanding! It is very cozy and romantic for an evening meal as well. It is a little expensive, but well worth the extra that you pay. The food is always presented so nicely. The staff is very attentive and professional. If you pass on a glass of wine from the extensive selection, then you must try a glass of their grapefruit soda!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerMRWVU1Dined on 8/13/2014Dined for the first time at The Capital Grille for an anniversary celebration. The staff was great in wishing us a happy anniversary from the hostess to the food service staff. The table was sprinkled with a little heart confetti and we were provided a complimentary glass of champagne. The staff also gave us a hand written card and voucher for a complimentary appetizer for a future visit. Very unexpected and a nice touch to make the night more special. Because it's restaurant week in Pittsburgh, a special menu was available, and was too good of a deal to pass up. We were both happy with our meals and the service throughout the meal was top notch. We will definitely return for a meal from the standard menu, which also looked great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!JEJjrDined on 8/13/2014We had a large bone-in sirloin and a citrus salmon. Both were prepared perfectly and tasted wonderful. Topped the evening off with a delicious flour less chocolate cake with raspberries. Service was great. Thoroughly enjoyed our special evening.Special Features:
- Fantastic meal!DineswithfriendsDined on 8/13/2014Celebrated a friend's birthday during restaurant week and the meal and wait staff were fantastic! And really appreciated being given top notch service during restaurant week. Will definitely recommend for this year's holiday party.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2014Our meal was outstanding. I had the porcini rubbed filet. For those who might not dine here frequently, they will prepare a steak with whatever kind of rub you want from other steaks on their menu. You just have to ask! Their prosciutto mozzerella appetizer is to die for! Horatio is the best waiter and takes very good care of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunchHappyft13Dined on 8/13/2014Ate lunch from the pittsburgh restaurant week specials, but the choices were great. Loved my sirloin and tasted the grilled salmon. Excellent! Will go back another time to enjoy their food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/11/2014This is the place for great steaks downtown. Service is great. Love "The Generous Pour" event.Special Features:
- AmazingBigErn245Dined on 8/2/2014My wife and I visited The Capital Grille in Pittsburgh for her birthday. Absolutely amazing! This is one of the best steakhouses that I have ever eaten at. I travel extensively for work and eaten at many top restaurants. We ordered calamari, lobster bisque, 24 oz porterhouse, 22 oz ribeye, and banana cream pie. Everything was outstanding. The dry aged USDA prime beef was of the highest quality. My wife and I both got the steaks Kona style (rubbed in coffee) with shallot butter. Wow! Capital Grille also had a wine event going for $25 you could get unlimited glasses of their 8 featured wines paired with each course. It is well worth the money I think we each had 7-8 glasses.Special Features:
- StaceDined on 8/1/2014From the time we sat down our waiter was very attentive and personable.Special Features:
- high expectation bc it's priceyDine4meDined on 7/31/2014I was fully prepared for the price of the menu as we had a gift card. However our meals were OK. My husband liked his lamb chops and I had steak and lobster that tasted like steak and lobster...no extra flavor to set it above any other steak or lobster. My husband loves cheese potatoes but theirs were too salty for him to even eat. The server graciously removed them from our bill which we didn't expect. Had soup, salad and dessert...everything was average with a high price tag.Special Features:
- JohnVDined on 7/30/2014You expect the best and CG always delivers!! My personal favorite both in Pittsburgh and SW Florida.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOOD and SERVICE!DeBorahVIPDined on 7/30/2014There is no way that you can make a reservation at the Capital Grille and not request Margie – SHE IS as PHENOMENAL as the FOOD‼ From the minute she greets you at your table – her professionalism and warmth is second to none! Now, on with the food – also, fabulous-O! From the warm spinach salad to the salmon and scallops (sides wonderful, also) – and finishing up with cheesecake and flourless chocolate cake – YUMMY! (Oh by the way, you must visit Mike and Renee at the bar before dinner – another two of the Capital Grille’s best!)Special Features:
- Oustanding!YOLODined on 7/26/2014What a fabulous day...our 28th wedding anniversary was on the Saturday we visited and were just tickled to death by the special attention given to us! So many special touches...champagne, photo... The Capital Grille made our special day even more special then we could've imagined - I highly recommend it for special occasions.Special Features:
- Always ExceptionalCarolroseVIPDined on 7/26/2014From the moment you walk in the door, you are well taken care of. My husband us a carnivore-meat and potatoes kind of guy; I'm a fish and salad girl. We both always enjoy the food and exemplary service. Great wine list, too. It's one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceDangrrDined on 7/25/2014Unfortunately, the street workers decided to start jackhammering the street outside late Friday night. Still, it did not affect the dinner at all. The staff is very knowledgeable, friendly, hospitable, and truly enjoy their work. Every ounce of food they give you is excellent. The various breads they bring out at the start are all very good. The french onion soup was very tasty and more than plentiful if ordering the crock size. For dinner, I had the filet mignon. It was cooked a perfect rare and the truffle fries side was delectable. To finish, they brought out an extremely tasty creme brulee. Overall, its a great restaurant that is worth the price in every way. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yannyYaannyDined on 7/23/2014A very nice place for a special dinner. The meal was great. The drinks were good, and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014excellent service, fabulous food, great wine - overall A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dani5577VIPDined on 7/19/2014I can't say enough good things about the Capital Grille. Everything was perfect. I had the Kona rub porterhouse, and my husband had the Delmonico. Both were cooked perfectly and delicious. We also had the crab bisque, lobster mac and cheese and creamed corn. Our waiter, Bruce, was wonderful. He could not have been more attentive. He gave great recommendations and was extremely knowledgable about the wine list. We go there every year for our anniversary and will continue to return. It's very pricey but a great place for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Good but not GreatJonathanVIPDined on 7/19/2014The food is always good but never great. Too pricey. The "Generous Pour" is pretty average. The wines are not very special.
- SpecialDiningDined on 7/13/2014Capital Grille dining was excellent. Waiter was exceptional and very attentive. Explained all the food options and gave suggestions for dietary restrictions. We had Salmon and Steak which were great! The sharing side dish worked very well as dud the Salad options. Definitely plan to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceDerekDined on 7/6/2014It was a pleasure to have a fine dinner with great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reginaDined on 7/5/2014service was good, my filet was overdone but remedied with a new one. i will returnSpecial Features:
- Great for friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014It was a fantastic experience. They give you plenty of time in between courses and the staff doesn't interupt you in conversation. Would suggest to anyone getting together with friends that they haven't seen in a while.Special Features:
- Just AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/1/2014Our server, Katie, was just terrific. She gave superior service and was delightful in personallity. We go here often, and this is one of the reasons.
- mediocreMomWifeAttorneyDined on 7/1/2014I always order the same thing - Caesar salad with seared scallops - but this time the scallops were ovecooked, dry and rubbery. Will try again but not my best lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great time w/ great foodtcole25Dined on 6/28/2014my wife and i's first time here and everything met our expectations and exceeded! We went for our anniversary and had a wonderful time. the food, service and ambience was spectacular. we'll certainly be back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014Always knock it out of the park this place. Have never had a bad time here. The beat staff and atmosphere in the city. Would like to see Pork Chops on the menuSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014All staff were most professional & charming. The special occasion we were celebrating was made most specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.