The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh
301 5th Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 4123389100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday -Friday: 11:00am – 3:45pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 4:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Travis Hall
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Capital Grille - Pittsburgh reviews from OpenTable diners
190 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (142)notable wine list (105)romantic (80)fit for foodies (53)good for groups (42)great for lunch (33)vibrant bar scene (23)hot spot (15)neighborhood gem (9)great for brunch (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- excellentIluvwineVIPDined on 9/28/2014This is one of my favorite steakhouse now. This was first visit for our anniversary. They took very good care of us. Noise level was low which was nice, however it was Sunday so not sure what noise level would be at other times such as Saturday. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014A lovely place -- great food, excellent service! Our waitperson was exceptional--attentive, cordial, humorous, and engaging. I will most certainly visit again--soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as in the pastCAP3Dined on 9/26/2014For the past 6 years we have been coming to the Capital Grille for my daughter's birthday. This year we were put in a back room next to a very loud party. Since we are all watching our diets, we did not order drinks or appetizers and the waitstaff seemed less attentive since we were only having entree's and ice teas. No glitter on the table for the celebration and no group picture of the table. Food was average--the mashed potatoes were runny and the halibut was flavorless. Needless to say my daughter wants to go somewhere else next year for her celebration.Special Features:
- Perfect for special occasionVisitorDined on 9/25/2014Small retirement lunch celebration. Service was great. Food was great. Walked in carrying a gift bag and the hostess put us in a private room (at no extra charge). Definitely do it again!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/23/2014Food is good but consistently under cooked despite special requestsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RGMJRDined on 9/22/2014everything was great. Could not have been better.Special Features:
- perfect night to purposeSilverDined on 9/20/2014Was an awesome experience. Food was amazing and service was spectacular. Our matradee Greg was attentive. He snapped a picture of us and brought it out to us along with a complimentary dessert. They truly made our night extra special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014It was my boyfriend's birthday and I loved that they had the little birthday confetti on the table. My fish was EXCELLENT and so was his food. I felt like they made OUR special occasion THEIR special occassion.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentRoseVIPDined on 9/18/2014Took my friend to Capital Grille for her birthday lunch. We were seated at a table with sprinkles of confetti, welcomed with a glass of champagne, had a fabulous lunch, and a complimentary dessert trio -- very classy, great food, and top notch service. This is one of only a few restaurants that I consider consistently excellent all the way around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECTION!BigNightOutDined on 9/17/2014The Capital Grille was simply perfect - as always. The service was wonderful. The food was wonderful. The room is perfect. What a great find for lunch - delightful and reasonably priced. Thanks to the entire staff for making our anniversary perfect!Special Features:
- TravelfriendsVIPDined on 9/13/2014Always enjoy the Grille wherever we travel... A family favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014We celebrated our 20th anniversary here. The food was great, service good and the atmosphere was perfect. I recommend The Capital Grille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We discovered Capital Grille several years ago, in Florida, and were ecstatic to find one in Pittsburgh. We go for just about every special occasion, 2-3X/year, and it is ALWAYS the same fantastic food and wine selection, phenomenal service and superb ambience. It is so nice to see an outstanding restaurant like this maintaining the same standards time after time. Evidently, the word is out, because it is always crowded, though, remarkably not difficult to get a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than expectedFredDined on 9/8/2014We had a positive food experience. However, the service was a let down. Our waitress had at least 4 tables, one being in an adjacent room, and she was very stretched. As a result wine glasses empty and follow up was minimal. When we ordered a bottle of wine she asked to chill for a few minutes. In reality she had to take orders at two other tables. Wine was great, but timing was poor. We expected more for the prices we paid for the food and multiple bottles of wine.Special Features:
- Perfect for a nice steak dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014Made reservations for dinner the night before a Steelers game. Had to wait a little for our table but Seth at the bar kept us busy with a killer martini. The service was great, Rebecca was our server and extremely attentive. Our steaks were really good, perfectly cooked and seasoned. My only disappointment was that they don't have a porterhouse for two, which is our go-to steak meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont try so hard.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Some of the dishes are over complicated and feel like they are trying to reinvent the wheel. Just let a steak be a steak. Also its unnecessarily pricey. Every entree is about $45 yet most are not worth $30. The appetizers are also way overpriced for their content.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!RellenVIPDined on 9/5/2014The four of us had steaks, perfectly prepared and delicious, along with appetizers or salads and an assortment of sides. Each food item was beautifully presented and mouthwatering. Our server, Kenneth, was attentive and made certain our dining experience was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodtatergirlVIPDined on 9/2/2014The food and service was very good. Our entrees - steak / sesame encrusted ahi steak were very good. Good wine list and nice choices available.Special Features:
- Great steaksDeemackDined on 8/31/2014Great food and the steaks melted in my mouth. Service was friendly and fast. I would recommend the capital grill to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsRAK74Dined on 8/31/2014This is certainly one of the Very Best overall restaurant dining & celebration experiences that we have ever had. Was able to secure 'The Boardroom' for a private, family celebration of eight including 3 generations. Champagne was chilled upon arrival, grandchildren were able to choose from a nice menu & delivered fast & hot. Exceptional wine list. All 6 adults ordered something different with no one being disappointed. While know for their steaks, the seafood (sushi-cut tuna & sea bass) were also outstanding. The side of Lobster Mac it for & Cheese was a big hit for all. Finally, the service staff went out of their way to honor my wife with a personal 'Happy Birthday' dessert selection. We'll definitely be back! Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerJohnZDined on 8/26/2014I came to the Capital Grille for my birthday and I was delighted by the dry-aged steak, and the wine selection. Excellent place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014Once again, the food preparation was uneven. Steak was overlooked. We had asked for medium rare plus and got fully medium and dry. Small steak for price. Ruth Chris is more consistent and a better experience. We had to ask the waiter at first if he was too busy to handle our table. He then became attentive and very nice. Not impressed with the kitchen at this Capital One.Special Features:
- experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014We always enjoy coming to the capital grill due to the outstanding food and great service. When we visited on Friday, August 22, we were disappointed in the service. As soon as we asked the waiter for menus from restaurant week, he then acted like he didn't want to serve us. Mind you it was extended an extra week and the reason why we didn't come during the first week was due to work and vacation. We felt rushed and the service lacked. Not friendly at all. Was disappointed and can only hope the service is better next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing the markKKfromPADined on 8/21/2014I was not blown away by our meal at The Capital Grille. What was once crafted to be a "dining experience" now just seems like slow service. The menu is not especially creative, and the interior is starting to look dated. I'm 42 years old and I felt like this is a place my parents would really appreciate for its basic offering and classic appearance... Until they got the check. $40+ for an average chunk of sea bass in tomato broth with no sides? I'll pay handsomely for wonderful food... This was good food (not great or excellent or memorable food) at top shelf prices. There are so many more interesting places to eat in Pittsburgh. I'm not sure why one would choose THIS place when you can find so much better just steps away. Sorry, CG.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/20/2014The sommelier is great. Restaurant week extended and the generous pour event at the same time: What a DEAL!Special Features:
- HudsonVIPDined on 8/18/2014Poor service and execution of food Not even close to other Cap Grills I've been to....would not return
- Great Restaurant Week dinner!ericabDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I always enjoy participating in restaurant week and were excited to see that Capital Grille was participating. The menu selections didn't disappoint and we opted to upgrade our selections for $10. Everything was fantastic and the server was very good. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and seriviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Initial impressions are classy, we had the private room in the back which was outstanding; food, service, wine were all greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFoodpornDined on 8/15/2014Down to the food, waiter, and service was phenomenal. Everytime I come here I have a wonderful time, great service and amazing food. The wine list was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PinnersDined on 8/14/2014Fabulous! We will definitely go again. Service and food were wonderful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ONE OF THE BEST IN THE BURG!!!Sunbum17Dined on 8/14/2014I typically eat here for lunch and the food is outstanding! It is very cozy and romantic for an evening meal as well. It is a little expensive, but well worth the extra that you pay. The food is always presented so nicely. The staff is very attentive and professional. If you pass on a glass of wine from the extensive selection, then you must try a glass of their grapefruit soda!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerMRWVU1Dined on 8/13/2014Dined for the first time at The Capital Grille for an anniversary celebration. The staff was great in wishing us a happy anniversary from the hostess to the food service staff. The table was sprinkled with a little heart confetti and we were provided a complimentary glass of champagne. The staff also gave us a hand written card and voucher for a complimentary appetizer for a future visit. Very unexpected and a nice touch to make the night more special. Because it's restaurant week in Pittsburgh, a special menu was available, and was too good of a deal to pass up. We were both happy with our meals and the service throughout the meal was top notch. We will definitely return for a meal from the standard menu, which also looked great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!JEJjrDined on 8/13/2014We had a large bone-in sirloin and a citrus salmon. Both were prepared perfectly and tasted wonderful. Topped the evening off with a delicious flour less chocolate cake with raspberries. Service was great. Thoroughly enjoyed our special evening.Special Features:
- Fantastic meal!DineswithfriendsDined on 8/13/2014Celebrated a friend's birthday during restaurant week and the meal and wait staff were fantastic! And really appreciated being given top notch service during restaurant week. Will definitely recommend for this year's holiday party.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2014Our meal was outstanding. I had the porcini rubbed filet. For those who might not dine here frequently, they will prepare a steak with whatever kind of rub you want from other steaks on their menu. You just have to ask! Their prosciutto mozzerella appetizer is to die for! Horatio is the best waiter and takes very good care of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Food is always delicious. Lunch service left much to be desired.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunchHappyft13Dined on 8/13/2014Ate lunch from the pittsburgh restaurant week specials, but the choices were great. Loved my sirloin and tasted the grilled salmon. Excellent! Will go back another time to enjoy their food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/11/2014This is the place for great steaks downtown. Service is great. Love "The Generous Pour" event.Special Features:
- excellentBBBBDined on 8/9/2014always love going to the Capital Grill whenever I can and they are all consistently fabulous no matter what city I visitSpecial Features:
- AmazingBigErn245Dined on 8/2/2014My wife and I visited The Capital Grille in Pittsburgh for her birthday. Absolutely amazing! This is one of the best steakhouses that I have ever eaten at. I travel extensively for work and eaten at many top restaurants. We ordered calamari, lobster bisque, 24 oz porterhouse, 22 oz ribeye, and banana cream pie. Everything was outstanding. The dry aged USDA prime beef was of the highest quality. My wife and I both got the steaks Kona style (rubbed in coffee) with shallot butter. Wow! Capital Grille also had a wine event going for $25 you could get unlimited glasses of their 8 featured wines paired with each course. It is well worth the money I think we each had 7-8 glasses.Special Features: