The Capital Grille - Philadelphia
1338 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 2155459588x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 3:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday – Thursday: 3:30pm – 10:00pm, Friday: 3:30pm – 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jeff Froehler
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Private dining and special events contact: Amanda Giddings, Sales Manager at 215.545.9588
A word from The Capital Grille - Philadelphia
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our team has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located on the Avenue of the Arts at the corner of Broad & Chestnut Streets.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Capital Grille - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
The Capital Grille - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (129)notable wine list (90)romantic (60)fit for foodies (57)good for groups (52)great for lunch (41)vibrant bar scene (32)neighborhood gem (22)hot spot (16)late-night find (9)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Like butter!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2014Had a fabulous dinner. The waiter was funny, personable and very professional. From the bread to the salads to the entree to the sides everything was fresh and delicious. My filet cut like butter and literally melted in my mouth. The crabmeat was fresh and cooked just right. My only negative comment is it was really pricey. 2 diners, 2 filets, 1 salad, 2 sides was almost $170 so even with a $100 gift card, I still owed $100. Include some vegetables instead of making them sides. But, I would still come back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The whole packagerighthindDined on 8/24/2014Loved our recent early dinner at the Capital on a lazy August Sunday. The food was extraordinary - and the service was really the perfect mix of friendly and familar but proficient and professional. I hated to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableOpus125Dined on 8/24/2014Great food and service. Told our waiter Tom that we had to be at theatre for a 6:30 show time and he paced the meal perfectly. My wife requested a change in a dish and it was gladly changed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks! Service amazing!Foodfan2Dined on 8/23/2014Always fantastic food! Our steaks were perfect, the lobster Mac a treat & took the rec on truffle fries & found a new favorite! Excellent wine recommended & several bottles consumed. If you are lucky enough try to get Tom Ford as your server. He is as good as it gets! Melanie in the bar was quick, attentive & charming as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencemeandkimDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant is Expensive!.... But well worth the price- If you want to impress someone, or celebrate a really special occasion, take them here... I like classy, and this restaurant is first class- Our waitress was excellent(very down-to-earth, not pretentious at all), the food was excellent- I booked here for dinner after show at the Forrest theatre.(my 26-year-old daughter and I). My daughter ordere the 3-lb lobster, side of potatoes aue gratin, crème bruele, wine- I had filet mignon with bowl lobster bisque. It was so good, I told the waitress I would be back whenever it was my "last meal".... she said she would still be serving.....
- Great night outJW09Dined on 8/22/2014The bartenders were attentive. The waitress was attentive and knowledgeable. The ambiance was perfect. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner dateA12vtmanDined on 8/20/2014Decided to take my girlfriend to celebrate our anniversary and was very pleased. Rob B was an awesome waiter and highly recommend using him. I'd definetly go back.Special Features:
- Excellent Philly SteakhouseArthurJacobVIPDined on 8/19/2014We were there for a celebratory dinner and Cap. Grille did an epic job of making this a most memorable time in multiple ways: food is always excellent, the service impeccable (Thank you Jared!) and our party was treated with the kind of care one always wishes for when the dinner is so meaningful to all the guests. Thank you.Special Features:
- Absolutely the best restaurantMomof4VIPDined on 8/16/2014You can never go wrong when you select Philadelphia's Capital Grille for a phenomenal, personal dining experience. Everything is impeccable from the time you sit down until the time you depart. The menu is varied for a steakhouse category, the wine list is endless and personal touches do not go unnoticed. Excellent, as always.Special Features:
- Perfect night!FrankdDined on 8/12/2014I came on the recommendation of a friend in the restaurant industry when I asked who had the best steak in the city. They lived up to it! I also mentioned in my reservation that it was my gfs birthday in case they did anything special. They had a long stem rose and card waiting on the table and gave us a complimentary dessert. The service couldn't have been any better - from genuine recommendations to quick response. We joked that plates were clearer in 5 seconds. They were!! Absolutely awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceTrishDined on 8/11/2014Very professionally trained staff. They were very accommodating when my dinner partner was 20 minutes late. The food is exceptional although rather pricey. If you are planning a special evening or are going to the theater, this is a great location.Special Features:
- fitfor1kingVIPDined on 8/10/2014Excellant meal. That sums it up. Well worth the moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- guyjrDined on 8/8/2014Love the ambience, the steaks were perfectly done and the wine list extensive. The wait staff was attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- White Coat Celebration LunchLoveweekendsDined on 8/8/2014A wonderful experience for celebrating a special occasion. My family and I were celebrating my son's White Coat Ceremony and had arranged a table for 5. We arrived 30 minutes early and were immediately seated. Our waiter Danny was excellent! He made sure everything was perfect! Food, drinks, dessert, and Danny were outstanding-looking forward to returning for dinner!!Special Features:
- Capital GrillFCESQVIPDined on 8/6/2014The Capital Grill is one of Philadelphia's finest Restaraunts. The food, service and overall experience is exceptional. It is fantastic for lunch or dinner. The calamari is the best I have ever had. The steaks are cooked to perfection. The lobster bisque is often imitated but can not be matched. I can not wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary celebrationeatinoutDined on 8/5/2014Everything was outstanding, but the enthusiasm and friendliness of all the personnel made us feel that we were personally important to them.Special Features:
- As expected, expensive steakhouseTdcctVIPDined on 8/5/2014Typical red meat, red wine denizen serving predictable food served by clubby waiters. Hard to understand the appeal but many seem to love these places as long as someone else is paying.
- DisappointedDoubleDDined on 8/3/2014I took 5 people to a business dinner and was very disappointed in the service for a high quality, expensive restaurant. Our water glasses were never refilled, we poured our own wine, and the server was not very informative about the menu. They had an extensive wine list but it was overpriced. I will go to one of the many other Philadelphia Steak houses the next time I have a customer who requests steak!
- Dinner before concertDLdinerDined on 8/2/2014Although we hoped for a special experience, we were disappointed. The room was extremely cold and we had to ask twice to have the temp raised. Salads were pedestrian at $12 apiece. My steak was dry and came out too rare. The heated the same piece and overcooked it and dried it out. At $45 per steak, this is not acceptable. There was minimal recognition of the negative experience. My husband's steak was good. The side of spinach was fine, but overpriced. The restaurant did not live up to expectations. The service was fair and at $160 for a dinner with no drinks, appetizers, or desserts, we were disappointed. I would not go back again.Special Features:
- Perfect eveningMavenDined on 8/1/2014Perfect evening with the family celebrating my wife's birthdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday to Me!!!jtcarboniDined on 7/31/2014We had a wonderful dinner experience at the Capital Grille. My husband had told me about it, as he goes there often for dinner. We did the Summer wine tasting which was an excellent choice for $25 (7 tastings). Our server Rosemary was very attentive and provided everything that we needed. We had the seafood tower as an appetizer, which was fabulous. The steaks were done to perfection. And the happy ending??? a beautiful birthday tray with assorted desserts and candle. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- SellingbertalinskiVIPDined on 7/31/2014Our waiter was very sweet; he did try to sell us water, but we said we were on fixed income and were there for plates. He handled it very well and was a great waiter. Still don't like to be sold water, though. I'm guessing it's my age.Special Features:
- Always GoodbobpVIPDined on 7/29/2014This is the most solid of restaurants you can eat in. Always good!Special Features:
- Never Disappoints!!leishDined on 7/26/2014This was my second time dining at the Center City Location (once in cherry hill). The waiters both times were engaging. Our most recent waiter was Colin. He was nothing short of amazing. He was very professional and well versed on the food that CG Serves. He kept us entertained and did I when joking with him. The food was amazing. I had the lamb chops for the second visit. Best lob Mac n cheese I ever had. Although I am not a fan of lobster. Looking forward to dining again very soon!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodControlahDined on 7/23/2014The service and the food was excellent. I enjoyed the bread selections and had a great Caesar salad. The Filet on Bone steak was grilled to perfection. I can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- Great food, not good serviceGeneVIPDined on 7/20/2014As always the food was outstanding. Not just the great steaks, but the fish and side dishes too. However, uncharacteristically the service was not up to usual level. The usual accommodating style of the waitstaff was not present. Our waiter made us feel like every request was some monumental burden and in some cases said no. We have eaten at this CG as well as others and have always been so impressed by the staff.Special Features:
- THE BEST FOOD IN CENTER CITYDADEJD38VIPDined on 7/17/2014their scallops are the best I have ever eaten in my life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATROCKVIPDined on 7/15/2014Everything was great from the shellfish appetizer to the steak to the dessert. Our server, Rob was excellent, especially in recommending our wine. He made very good choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnernewtophillyDined on 7/12/2014We dined at the Capital Grille. It was exceptional. Steak was tender and the server first rate. I know that it is a chain, but it is worth the money, especially for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great for LunchJCMBBDined on 7/11/2014The Capital Grille offers a wonderful, very affordable lunch. The clam chowder and the lobster roll were fantastic.Special Features:
- Great foodDADEJD38VIPDined on 7/9/2014The scallops and corn rosotto were out of this world!!! So good!!!
- Great Overall RestaurantAnnieKVIPDined on 7/8/2014Had Lunch here, Food and Service were Excellent!!!Special Features:
- The wine choices were excellent !SibaritaDined on 7/7/2014Great atmosphere and excellent service from arrival to exitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingGeneVIPDined on 7/7/2014CG is consistently outstanding. The steakhouse fare is excellent and always perfectly prepared. Excellent and accommodating service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing in every regardgabrijVIPDined on 7/6/2014Capital Grille has quickly moved up to the top of my list of favorite steak houses. My steak au poivre was generous and out of this world, but it just starts there. A superb wedge salad began the meal, and Strawberries concluded it. Every morsel of food was excellent, perhaps only outdone by the service. Our waiter was friendly, attentive and knowledgable. In short, a real pro and a pleasureSpecial Features:
- Fantastic food and serviceTth217Dined on 7/3/2014I went here with my fiancée to celebrate our two year anniversary. I knew it was going to be good because it's a high end restaurant and I wouldn't come here otherwise since I normally don't have the money to come here regularly. We got there a little before our reservation and they didn't have a problem seating us. We sat in a small intimate room with a few tables around. The music is low and romantic and the lighting is also low but that's to keep the ambiance. Anyways the waiter was great, very helpful and knowledgable and paired my wine to the steak fantastically. We told our waiter it was our anniversary and he surprised us by bringing out dessert with "happy anniversary" written on the plate on the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MustangDined on 7/1/2014We had a group of 8. Everyone was very pleased with their food selection and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT PLACEOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2014IT WAS MY WIFE S BIRTHDAY. HEATHER OUR SERVER WAS AWESOME..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- culturemavenDined on 6/28/2014One would never guess that the Capital Grille is a chain restaurant. The service was exquisite. We were all impressed that the servers were well-trained and knowledgeable about the food selections. The food and drinks were carefully prepared according to everyone's requests. The meal was well paced, very leisurely, and at no time at all did we feel rushed. Everyone was friendly and helpful, which made our dining experience very pleasant. We will definitely be returning to the Capital Grille in the future.Special Features:
- The Ultimate Philly Steak HouseJamesWVIPDined on 6/27/2014I have dined here multiple times from sitting at the Bar to hosting my annual Holiday Party for 40 of my friends . The Capital Grill has been great every time . The service , food , ambiance is always excellent . FYI there bar staff are amazing and very welcoming !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.