The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
120 West 51st Street, Time Life Bldg.
New York, NY 10020Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.capitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 2122460154x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Peter Menard
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact our Sales and Marketing Manager today. Can accommodate up to 35 guests per private dining room.
A word from The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service.Continued
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email firstname.lastname@example.org
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email email@example.com
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building reviews from OpenTable diners
336 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (195)notable wine list (148)fit for foodies (120)good for groups (118)romantic (109)great for lunch (76)vibrant bar scene (51)neighborhood gem (43)hot spot (32)late-night find (19)great for brunch (18)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Top notch!!AlanKVIPDined on 10/29/2014As usual upon entering the restaurant, Jonay Love met me with a smile as usual, very professional. After being seated, Melissa the store Manager, is frankly awesome!! She is very genuine and friendly. I appreciate her very much. I worked with Ed Dullivan, who was on his game! He was extremely nice, efficient and made great recommendation! AlanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Work DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/28/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at The Capital Grille - the food & ambiance were perfect for our team dinner...and the service is always good too. Thank you.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014All Capital Grilles where we have dined have has been good, and we would recommend each. But for the Time Life Building one was the best. Maybe since we reserved table a bit later on Sunday eve, it was quite good for a good conversation. The waiter was very knowledgable, cordial. And, complements to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance/service...but food..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Great staff and ambiance...Ordered the pepper steak and grilled brussel sprouts. The vegetable were great-astounded when the steak encrusted with 1/2 an inch of uncooked hard black peppercorns. My experience with "pepper steak' sees a gentle dusting of black pepper with soft green peppers taking the lead role in generating the flavour. Little sauce/no green peppercorns- left crunching through bitter black peppercorns encrusting steak like barnacles. The steak was a generous portion cooked exactly to the level I asked...bu tasteless! like eating warm styrofoam. Disappointing-heard great things about the CGl. W give it another try as the staff are good and a lovely dining room but this one was a swing and a miss.Special Features:
- We will be back again!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2014My family and I really enjoy going to this restaurant. We always get great service, and the food is excellent! This restaurant is one of our favorite places to eat in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak house and more!Bentley901Dined on 10/25/2014Second trip here with family members, first time it was a Dad and Daughter dinner. Food and service is fantastic. Introduced my daughter to a special they had, Steak Oscar. Filet mignon with crabmeat, bernaise sauce and asparagus. Have not had anyone make this right in 25 years. Capital Grill hit the mark. Just return with the rest of the family and can't say enough. We will return again and enjoyed everything from the minute we walked in the door.Special Features:
- Outstanding MealDenise22Dined on 10/25/2014I have wanted to go to the Capital Grille for years - Finally got there last Saturday night to celebrate our anniversary. In my reservation request, I noted that it was my wedding anniversary. The restaurant had a special table for us, complete with heart-shaped confetti and a card. If you go to the restaurant between 4 and 7, ask for the special pre-theater menu, it's $39 for a salad, entree and dessert! A wonderful, unadvertised value! The wine list was superb, and was presented on an ipad - which make it very easy to find an outstanding bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing birthday dinnerrheasueVIPDined on 10/25/2014We have dined at this restaurant at least 20 times. So I chose this restaurant for my birthday dinner. I was disappointed with both the food and our server,Julian P. I ordered my sirloin medium without the kobe rub. IT came out medium rare with the kobe rub. Even the vegetables came out wrong. Julian told me to eat the steamed spinach while I waited for my steak to be cooked correctly. When it finally arrived, it still had the kobe rub which tasted like coffee grinds. I left the steak over. My husband ordered flourless cake for dessert. He was given my birthday plate with a small piece of chocolate cake. No manager ever came to check on us. We usually buy $1500 worth of gift cards but now plan to bring our business elsewhere.
- good food but reservation not goodlauraVIPDined on 10/22/2014Although we had a reservation, we had to wait 25 minutes for a lunchtime table as the restaurant was overbooked. The food was great, but we had to rush through our meal.
- great food good servicejkkyVIPDined on 10/21/2014I highly recommend this restaurant. The food is wonderful and the staff is accommodating and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic & reliableSRadjyVIPDined on 10/21/2014Capital Grille is one of those places where everything is reliably tasty. The brussel sprout salad had bacon bits in it which I didn't expect but made all the difference, and the salmon was great with the sides of mashed potatoes and grilled mushrooms. They have a nifty ipad app for wines and cocktails, too! Given the quality and classic style, I would say this is a perfect spot for business lunch/dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foody1Dined on 10/21/2014A very good steak restaurant in a town that has a lot of excellent steak houses. Atmosphere, service and diversity of menu help keep Capital Grill in the mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than "Capital" experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014We went to Cap Grille Midtown at 6:45 pm for the pre-theater menu. Understandably, it was very busy. But that doesn't excuse the poor service and inattention to detail that plagued our meal from the very beginning. Example of minor problem: the waiter asked if my boyfriend wanted olives in his cosmo (??); major problems: my mother never got the drink she ordered, despite asking for it twice and then it still showed up on the bill; 4 of our steaks were well done, when we asked for med and med-rare; sides came out 15 mins after steaks. Overall, the staff just seemed uninterested. We had several drinks but passed on more b/c we just couldn't track down the waiter. Very disappointing, as this dinner was to celebrate my birthday.
- Great experienceFoodieVIPDined on 10/16/2014Love the pre theater menu. Delicious lamb chops! Excellent server, Samantha, enhanced the dining experience. Many interesting cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I ordered from the bar lunch menu.angieDined on 10/16/2014I had the crab and lobster burger and the parmagean and truffle fries. The fries were horrible and the burger wad just ok. I've had better. I was really disappointed but my martini was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and waitstaff - as usualScOuTDined on 10/16/2014CG continues to be one of my favorite midtown restaurants.Special Features:
- Excellent!Cas9VIPDined on 10/15/2014This restaurant has a wonderful kitchen. Everything is delicious! However, the most notable thing about this restaurant is that it remains one of the rare establishments that hasn't forgotten the mean of good service. Don't miss being pampered here while enjoying delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/15/2014Lobster Mac and Cheese dish was absolutely the blast and one of the dishes that customers keep coming back to the same place. French onion soup stand out among the other soups. Our Steak on the bone was amazing, delicious, cooked appropriately to the temperature requested, portions were little too much so there were no more room for desert. One of my friends ordered Back Bass special of the day, but it was overcooked and little over salted. It was nice experience to choose my wine not from the wine list, but scroll through iPad icons, nice move. Service was warm and attentive. I'm looking forward to come back and recommend this restaurant to my friends.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchLowrider10Dined on 10/13/2014Good, convenient spot for lunch that is decently priced. My business clients were cold though and the temp never adjusted. Waiter knew his stuff and was professional but could have not interrupted me mid-sentence. Overall good experience at a place I go a few times a month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great special eventDaveWDined on 10/12/2014We made reservations here for celebration of our 40th wedding anniversary. they took us to the table right at the time of our reservation, and the table was decorated with confetti hearts and an anniversary card. The server was great, they had a bottle of one of our favorite wines, and the food was tremendous. I had the lobster bisque soup, and a filet with gorgonzola cheese and truffles, with a small lobster tail added. My wife had filet with onions and mushrooms. All prepared very, very well. The little anniversary cheesecake they presented for dessert was also great. Overall, the server and kitchen made this a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Never DisappointslmpdinerDined on 10/12/2014We can always count on a great meal, warm atmosphere and excellent service. This is our place for steak in NYC! Love the filet mignon! Sides and salads are alway a good size and delicious! The breadbasket is always a hit with the table. Good wine list and reasonable prices even on "by the glass". We will be back often!Special Features:
- luv2dineoutDined on 10/11/2014"My mom and I were out celebrating her retirement from the Board of Eduction. This our first time here and we had a great time I definitely would return to try more dishes. The new england clam chowder was AMAZING and my filet mignon was cooked to PERFECTION!! The service was well-timed and friendly."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great before seeing "Wicked"cb525Dined on 10/11/2014We stopped for a quick bite before seeing Wicked, the service was great and quick. The shrimp was delicious and I highly recommend it. Not crazy about the butternut squash soup with the chopped apples and curry, it was a bit heavy. Otherwise nice ambiance, energetic and fun.Special Features:
- Customer service/food Amazing!!AlanKVIPDined on 10/10/2014I had such a great evening!! Tracie Lee is AWESOME, she is on point with all recommendations, I would highly recommending to work with her. Whether is it selecting a wine, steak, lobster, etc. she nailed every recommendation. Thank you Tracie for making the night special. Steven Attema the Manager stopped by to say hello and to ensure all was well. Steven, thank you for taking the time, as it was appreciated! AlanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantDwayneDined on 10/9/2014Incredible restaurant, food, and service! I will certainly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Awesome as usual!AlanKVIPDined on 10/8/2014Once again I had a wonderful time at this establishment. The captain Melissa runs a great ship....cannot go wrong! Thank you!!! AlanSpecial Features:
- DeliciousLuv2eatDined on 10/5/2014The service and food were impeccable. Thanks for a great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent Capital GrilleJuniper99VIPDined on 10/2/2014The Capital Grille in the Time Life Building continues to be a hit or miss experience. My wife ordered a steak rare and yes it was pink on the inside but very dry. No blood on the plate. When we questioned this the chef said all cuts are not the same. My wife also complained about the sour taste of the meat which he could not explain. Her cut was covered with a thick gravy which normally is either on the side or must be ordered. Makes us wonder if this was a leftover cut from the previous day. For dessert I ordered a lemon sorbet. It turned out to be inedible. The sorbet took on the flavor of the metal cup that it was apparently stored in inside the freezer. BTW, the Capital Grille 42 St is MUCH better, never had a bad experience there.Special Features:
- SuperbLiveforfoodVIPDined on 10/2/2014We have been to Capital Grill in many cities. This New York City location is great. Excellent attentive service, lovely ambience and super tasty steaks. Our waiter was knowledgeable and went out of his way to make our experience wonderful. From the amus bouchée to the complimentary flourless chocolate cake at the end because we needed to catch a train and didn't have time to linger. The general manager personally Checked to make sure our meal lived up to our expectations. Nice touch!Special Features:
- Always greatsteakloverVIPDined on 9/30/2014We dine here somewhat frequently. After a bad start it has always been excellent. Service, food, ambiance all great. Pre theater menu is a bargain. Need to ask for it- goes until 7pm- but do. Same food- fraction of the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply fabulousDebbieGVIPDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I dined at this restaurant for our anniversary. The lamb chops were simply the best I've ever had and my husband had an equally perfect filet mignon oscar-style. I also highly recommend the spinach as a side dish. Our drinks were mixed very well ... every one of them! The staff went delightfully overboard by having our table designed with heart confetti and a hand-written anniversary card. Well done! We will see you again next time we are in New York.Special Features:
- Makes you feel specialFoodie12Dined on 9/27/2014Amazing customer service from hostess to wait staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Excellent food and service. Best cappaccino I ever had which seems funny for a steakhouse. Steak was perfectly cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!Cas9VIPDined on 9/25/2014We usually eat here on the weekends, but decided on a mid-week visit this time. The service was excellent. The biggest difference was in the bar area. It was much busier. On weeknights, it looks like this would be a good place to come after work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectPerfectDined on 9/23/2014An amazing evening at the Capital Grille. Filet Mignon with the Kona Rub was delicious. And so many great choices for wine.Special Features:
- Very ordinaryEmg7855VIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was very ordinary. I ordered the fish special, my companion the steak, both were ok but nothing special considering the cost. Our server, however, was wonderful.
- Ask for Price Fixed MenuFloridaFoodieDined on 9/19/2014Yep, you have to ask for it! What is you don't know if it's available? You lose. We don't like forthright, and this is not forthright. Food is great and service, with this exception, is excellent.
- Wonderful experienceRuthinaKDined on 9/18/2014Highly recommended!The filet mignon was the best choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the costWeedyVIPDined on 9/17/2014The atmosphere is predictable for the chain, and is nice enough. But the food is adequate at best, to bland. And at the prices they charge, there are far better options in the midtown area. Would not return.
- excellent consistentbigredVIPDined on 9/16/2014Our Favorite place in NYC Food always consistent and delicious and served nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.