The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
120 West 51st Street, Time Life Bldg.
New York, NY 10020Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.capitalgrille.com/
- Phone: (212) 246-0154
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Peter Menard
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact our Sales and Marketing Manager today. Can accommodate up to 35 guests per private dining room.
A word from The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service.Continued
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email firstname.lastname@example.org
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email email@example.com
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building reviews from OpenTable diners
345 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (203)notable wine list (152)fit for foodies (132)good for groups (127)romantic (111)great for lunch (87)vibrant bar scene (56)neighborhood gem (51)hot spot (39)late-night find (24)great for brunch (18)scenic view (13)kid-friendly (12)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Always reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/15/2014I usually ignore "restaurant week" menus because they tend to contain the least interesting dishes. But the $38 menu at Capital Grille is a great deal. We each had the caesar salad to start, then I had the 8 oz filet mignon and my companion ordered the NY steak. The steaks were delicious and cooked perfectly. The $38 menu included dessert. We combined this deal with the "generous pour" and for an additional $25 each we were able to sample 3 white wines and at least 4 reds. A great meal at a great price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- food quality was offCrafty2121Dined on 8/15/2014Usually, a fabulous meal and great service. Although our requests were met. We had a great, attentive waiter. However, the food quality was off. Thought it was just me since I have dietary restrictions, but both of my family members felt the same way. On the positive side, had a great table, desserts were delicious and service was great! The Paramus, NJ location has far superior food quality in our opinion. But NYC is still a nice place to experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super AnniversaryjojoDined on 8/15/2014Made reservations for 3 per opentable to Capital Grille and mentioned it was our anniversary. We were greeted very friendly even though we were an 1/2 hour early, said our table would be ready shortly. When we got to the table there was confetti and a card wishing us a Happy Anniversary. At the end of the meal they brought out a special dessert and 3 glasses of champagne. Service was impeccable food delicious, an outstanding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WastingfoodisasinVIPDined on 8/15/2014This was the fifth time to dine at Capital Grille during NYC RW 2014 Summer and to enjoyed the Generous Pour, 7 variety flights of California wine. Ambience was as good as one near Wall Street. Service was the best among three in manhattan.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Capital GrilleDannieTDined on 8/15/2014I always enjoy going to capital grille. Lunchtime was no different as it was my first time. Too much to eat at once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical SteakhouseEdNYCDined on 8/15/2014Space looks like a typical steakhouse, dark wood paneling with added fake deer heads to the décor. My low rating has to do with the poor service. Not only was it slow, but they managed to mix up all the steaks and their degree of cooking. Took us a while to figure and sort it out.Special Features:
- A very pleasant eveningOutToDineDined on 8/14/2014The service is truly excellent. They did everything they could to make this a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good restaurant week meal but...IenjoyeatingoutVIPDined on 8/14/2014I lunched at Capital Grill with 3 friends taking advantage of a nice Restaurant Week menu. The restaurant is very nicely decorated, and the food was very good, as expected (I have eaten here a couple of times before). We were however very disappointed with our waitress. While not rude, she was very curt and seemed unhappy to be serving a restaurant week table. Her demeanor perked up a bit about the time we asked for the check. This is different than my past experiences dining here. I will return but will ask for a different table if I am seated in her section.Special Features:
- Gabe the bartender is amazing!alibaby7Dined on 8/13/2014Had a reservation for 6 in the restaurant, and was persuaded by Gabe to stay in the bar area and have our dinner there. It was amazing food, as usual, and superb service! Such a nice man, and wonderful bartender. Will definitely be coming back soon!!!Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsMadisonDined on 8/13/2014We enjoyed a restaurant week dinner, and the "generous pour" wine pairing with friends - The hostess was efficient and friendly, our waiter (Jimmy) was excellent, all of the meals were perfect . . . We will be back -I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED IT!!Bella4VIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was cooked to perfection!! The steak and lobster tail were delicious -- melted in your mouth!! Service was great!! Would highly recommend!!Special Features:
- Pre theatre dinnerFoodie47Dined on 8/13/2014Our group had a delightful experience the other night. Pre-theatre menu, as well as the restaurant week menu, had excellent value. I had the kona sirloin and it was a delicious piece of meat:cooked exactly as requested and buttery soft. The menu choices were substantial and two in our party couldn't finish their steaks, not the usual problem with a pre-theater menu. Service was perfect and we are not easily pleased. Looking forward to our return.Special Features:
- Consistent GemConsistentVIPDined on 8/13/2014Always great whether it is lunch, dinner, restaurant week or at the bar bites. Waiter was knowledgeable, friendly and very professionalSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Great food, great wine. Will be sure to come back again.Special Features:
- good service.DainaDined on 8/12/2014웨이터도 친절하였고 전체적인 분위기가 너무좋았어요. 그리고 그릴도 맛있지만 식전빵이 정말맛있어요. 그리고 디저트도 대박추천합니다.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekGcarlVIPDined on 8/12/2014Came for dinner with friends during Restaurant Week, and had a great experience. Some restaurants do not exactly put their best foot forward for these special dining experiences (smaller portions, less than great service, etx.) Not Capital Grill. The food was very good and the portions were the same as the regular menu. The service was outstanding; our waitperson was congenial and very attentive, making sure we were having a good dining experience.Special Features:
- SERVICE, AMBIENCE AND FOOD!FAITHVIPDined on 8/11/2014This was a delightful evening. The service was impeccable. Our waiter graciously offered to split our selections, to allow us to sample the Restaurant Week menu! The juicy medium rare and rare steaks were perfectly cooked and well seasoned. The mashed buttery potatoes were extremely good, and the string beans were fresh and crunchy. The chowder was loaded with a variety of seafood, but was a bit watery and lacked spice. After such a sumptous main course, we may have been too stuffed to truly enjoy the cheese cake, which was a bit too sweet, or the chocolate cake, which was a tad dry. The lighting and banque seating at the Capital Grill is sultry and sophisticated! A new all around favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing timealishaVIPDined on 8/11/2014Loved our server he will be the reason i return backSpecial Features:
- Wonderful!EmanuelleVIPDined on 8/11/2014I don't need to say anything more. If you would recommend this restaurant to your friends and family, they will appreciate you so much. It's really wonderful place to use for the special occasion, you will be proud of choosing this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You Wouldn't Think It Is A ChainCTGALVIPDined on 8/10/2014We've been to the Capital Grille several times and are never disappointed. Their Big Pour is a great event for those who enjoy trying new wines.Special Features:
- Terrible food and serviceMediocritybewareDined on 8/10/2014The entire meal was mediocre and disappointing. I ordered a cocktail which clearly contained a sparse pour of vodka. The Caesar salad was littered with brown romaine lettuce. The filet was delicious - should you expect anything less from such a prestigious steakhouse?! Oddly, no freshly ground pepper was offered during the meal. The cheesecake had a distinct fuel taste and looked as though someone had attempted to caramelize it like a creme brûlée. I have frequented the Boston location but will now think twice after this meal at their NYC location.
- Fantastic American restaurantUESfoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I enjoyed a fabulous pre-theatre dinner at Capital Grille. The restaurant is spacious with high ceilings and beautiful décor. The tables were spaced far enough apart so that noise didn't carry over from our neighbors. The wait-staff was friendly, professional and extremely helpful. We loved each of our selections. The Caesar salad and field green salads were light and refreshing. The steak was superb and the flourless chocolate espresso cake and crème brulee were exceptional.Special Features:
- Excellent!Cas9VIPDined on 8/9/2014Capitol Grille serves delicious food with great service in a relaxed atmosphere. The proximity of the restaurant to the theater district makes it convenient to all midtown attractions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and serviceAlanKVIPDined on 8/9/2014Everything we ordered was amazing! I highly recommend the Alaskan King Crab Legs....awesome. If you decide to go to the bar, ask Jeremy what he recommends...he is always spot on. If you have the opportunity to work with Jenette K. I would, as she is really friendly and attentive. Jenette went above and beyond to ensure our dinner experience was great. Thanks very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Too noise, not a quite place. Maybe not go to there anymoreSpecial Features:
- Best Steak everwenonly1VIPDined on 8/8/2014Love this place, the steak was terrific, great wine choices, the service was spetacular. Will go back in a heart beat, the only problem is that I have hard time going to other steak house...Special Features:
- awesome restaurant week menuhungrynurseDined on 8/8/2014Came for restaurant week. Didn't disappoint at all. Had a great time. Food is consistently good.I would come even though its no restaurant week. Its pricey but they give you quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014The service was perfect, the food very good. As we were sitting in a separate room, it was pretty quiet.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentJudithVIPDined on 8/7/2014The steaks never disappoint and are always done to perfection. Prices are very reasonable for food and wine of this quality.Special Features:
- Bring a flashlightMaryDined on 8/7/2014It was 'ok' but with so many restaurants in NYC, I won't go back. I read personal reviews of this Capital Grille off of the Yelp Ap. I was convinced I would not be disappointed by the sirloin steak! Well I was. When it arrived I thought it was too big but after so much gristle and fat it really wasn't that big but it was tough. Should have gone with the filet. Green beans were string. Mashed potatoes were soupy. We were there for Restaurant Week so thankfully the price was less but still with the addition of coffee and a glass of wine each it came in at around $110 before tip. Also it was way too dark in that restaurant I was forced to feel like an old lady pulling out the iPhone to use the flashlight to read the menu. Oh well.Special Features:
- Pre-theaterNeighborhoodfoodieDined on 8/7/2014Great location if you want a yummy meal before going to the theater. Food was delicious and service was aware of our timing, even when we weren't. It was nice that they were accommodating! Loved the steak and the cheesecake and left happy. I will be going back!Special Features:
- Dependably GoodSparkyVIPDined on 8/7/2014We had a lovely lunch - our meal was delicious, fast, and the wait staff was attentive without being overbearing - just like always.I would recommend this to a friend.
- VisitorSloMoDined on 8/6/2014The service is very slow. I noticed that two of the waiters were discussing as to who was going to service our group. We were a table of 9 people and we had to wait 30 minutes before one of the waiters came over to take our drink order. It was another 20 minutes before our food order was taken. The food was good, the waiter was friendly, but the service was too slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!BarbaraBDined on 8/6/2014Took advantage of Restaurant Week menu and CG's Generous Pour event. Both proved to be winners. My husband loved his Kona Sirloin and the wines I sampled from the Generous Pour offerings were all good. Even though the restaurant was packed (early on a Wednesday night), the service was excellent...loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and summer wineCharlieSigVIPDined on 8/6/2014The service was excellent....very attentive. The Restaurant Week menu was terrific...we both had perfectly cooked filet mignons. But the real deal here is the summer wine offering which, according to the staff, is available every year. For $25, you get unlimited pours of seven select wines, all of which were very good. In addition, we were celebrating my birthday, which was acknowledged with a card and a candle on my dessert.Special Features:
- AAAAADined on 8/5/2014totally enjoyable...excellent food and service..waitor totally knolwledgable about food and offered assistance helpful on wine selection.,Special Features:
- Don't have too much expectations...Foodielover14Dined on 8/5/2014This place of course, was beautiful inside and out. With unique and classical kitchen to their large collections of wine, this place makes you feel as if you are a King/queen. Sadly, we went here for restaurant week and the server was snobby. He didn't show much respect for us until we paid for the check and he didn't really make us feel welcomed either. The good however, was something we were highly expecting but the burger I ordered was way too salty. The cheese layered on top was basically coated with salt. The dessert was something good though. As I had the cheesecake, it looked amazing but yet slightly too sweet. Wouldn't really be thrilled in coming again.Special Features:
- Amazing food and ServiceNYwildcritterVIPDined on 8/5/2014This is a restaurant I want to go to every day, if they were closer. Brought a group of 7: first they let me get seated when the other 6 haven't arrived yet. then they served appetizers immediately, and took orders as guests arrived. then they gave us 2 large free cakes for those who had the birthdays, all unexpected. We love the restaurant and their steak and cheesecakes are amazing!Special Features:
- I'm a returning customerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014I really enjoy eating at the Capital Grille. I find that the food and service are always exceptional. We'll be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FOOD!ChelaDined on 8/1/2014First time coming went on my anniversary n they even decorated the table for us ! Not to much the mash n awesome green beans ! Steak well prepared !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.