The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
120 West 51st Street, Time Life Bldg.
New York, NY 10020Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.capitalgrille.com/
- Phone: (212) 246-0154
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Peter Menard
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact our Sales and Marketing Manager today. Can accommodate up to 35 guests per private dining room.
A word from The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service.Continued
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email firstname.lastname@example.org
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email email@example.com
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building reviews from OpenTable diners
314 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (180)notable wine list (141)fit for foodies (117)good for groups (113)romantic (104)great for lunch (80)vibrant bar scene (53)neighborhood gem (48)hot spot (37)late-night find (23)great for brunch (16)scenic view (13)kid-friendly (10)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Steak out your claim!foodforthoughtDined on 11/22/2014The pre theater dinner is a wonderful value, not only about the price but the quality of the food for the price makes it a great deal indeed. The people at the reservation desk offer an appropriately pleasant greeting and try to fulfill seating requests. They also attempt to seat the party as close to reservation time as possible. We have had wonderful servers at each visit. never rushed, always helpful with explanations and recommendations. This aspect of the restaurant along with the fair price for value received makes it an establishment we have been happy to visit on several occasions. We look forward to our next visit as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!FoodieVIPDined on 11/21/2014This is my regular go to place before the theater. I always have steak or lamb chops from the pre theater menu. I always have excellent service from either Ed Sullivan or Samantha.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Solid FoodCeciVIPDined on 11/21/2014Good solid food but not distinguishable from most of the other steak joints in NYC.
- Good food good timePhilDined on 11/18/2014We were taking clients to lunch and the restaurant gave us a nice room upstairs that sat 5 comfortably and we can hear each other talk. The food was good especially the Lobster Mac and Cheese. Good job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up to its reputationMarioDined on 11/15/2014My first time there. I had heard a lot of good things and we were not disappointed. Great steak, very good food in general. Expensive, but it's NY and you eat well...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualAlanKVIPDined on 11/14/2014All the food was fresh and very tasty as always! John was extremely helpful and appreciate it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite places to dine.Love2dineNYCDined on 11/14/2014One our favorite places to dine when staying at the Hilton.The service is great and the food is great as well.Special Features:
- A Great SteakonTheRoadDined on 11/13/2014Ordered the 10oz rare+ with a good char and received exactly that. We also ordered the brussel sprouts with bacon the they were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular service.Diner1VIPDined on 11/13/2014Stated simply, the Capital Grille knows how to make patrons feel like they are family. No easy feat in a tough town like New York! The service will blow you away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in New YorkGaryCoVIPDined on 11/13/2014The crab lobster cakes in a corn relish, the spinach and bacon salad, the creamed spinach, the Chilean sea bass in tomato bisque and the Salmon in mushrooms, tomato and citrus were all fantastic. A superb dining experience. The waiter, Ed Sullivan and his new trainee were extremely knowledgeable, very helpful and non obtrusive. Great service. 5 stars all the way!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableAlmegVIPDined on 11/13/2014Have eaten at many different Cap Grilles and have never been disappointed. The food they serve is consistently good whether you are in Boston ,NYC, Scottsdale, etc. The management teams do a great job w/ server and kitchen teams to meet high expectations. We highly recommend the Kona crusted or porcini rub steaks. But we have never gone wrong here or elsewhere in this "chain".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely poor serviceAndreasDined on 11/9/2014Took years to take order, wrong wine offered, no main course order taken, meat slightly overlooked! And to end a perfect sample of lousy service, by the time we left coat check was closed! We tried to get someone to help..no luck, finally we went into the check room and got our coats ourselfs!! Not recommended!
- great dinning outOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/8/2014The food was delicious and the service was exceptional... would definatley go back.
- Worst Restaurant Experience Ever!pploVIPDined on 11/8/2014I've been to others Capital Grille locations in NY and Miami and have had very good experience, but the one @ Time Life building was a nightmare!!! The food was not good and the service was a true disappoint!!! Never coming back to that location!!! Not even for free!!!
- Excellentskier433Dined on 11/8/2014First time at Capital Grille. Ordered off regular menu but they do offer a pre-theatre menu. We both had filet with a gorgonzola sauce in a cabernet reduction. Cooked to perfection. Ended our night with a wonderful cheesecake/berries. Service was excellent. We were lucky enough to be in a small room off of the main dining room. Nice and quiet. Will be going back!Special Features:
- Capital Grille always deliverskerhutsDined on 11/7/2014We dine frequently at Capital Grille in Philadelphia and Cherry Hill. Their food is always outstanding and consistent. No matter the location, their Professional Wait Staff is always the best and Lauren was no exception. She went above and beyond for my birthday and pre-theatre dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noodlemanDined on 11/5/2014Our server, Lauren, was efficient, knowledgeable, friendly with a great sense of humor. The food was perfectly prepared - we had steak and sides of parmesan fries and asparagus, all of which I would highly recommend, the wine selection was more than adequate and the desert, while the options were limited, was tasty and fresh. We had asked for a quiet table so we could review our plans for a very important meeting we had the next day and they accommodated us very nicely. They did not rush us or disturb us in any way. My guest was in from London and he has already suggested we return there next time he is in NY!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistentAlanKVIPDined on 11/5/2014As always the food was awesome...everything. I highly recommend working with Ed Sullivan, as he is very attentive and genuine. The staff here in general are always extremely polite and friendly, and it is appreciated!Special Features:
- Delightfully DeliciousJacquesMumphrey27Dined on 11/1/2014We dined here as part of a special weekend in New York, and it was indeed quite special. The restaurant is ideally located if one has plans to attend a Broadway show, which we did. The hostess and coat check woman were very welcoming and helpful. Our server was prompt and knowledgeable about the menu, and had no trouble answering our questions. The restaurant was a little busy for 6:00 in the evening, but I think that simply speaks to their superior food. Everyone at our table had steak and each of them was tender and cooked to order. The mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus were equally delicious and delightful. The complimentary bread was soft and tasty. I feel as though I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightNYCGOMOVIPDined on 10/31/2014Lovely restaurant for a date night. Ambiance was perfect as was service which complimented the food, wine, and cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodJulia811Dined on 10/30/2014Wine was exquisite and steak cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch!!AlanKVIPDined on 10/29/2014As usual upon entering the restaurant, Jonay Love met me with a smile as usual, very professional. After being seated, Melissa the store Manager, is frankly awesome!! She is very genuine and friendly. I appreciate her very much. I worked with Ed Dullivan, who was on his game! He was extremely nice, efficient and made great recommendation! AlanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well Oiled MachineBobDVIPDined on 10/29/2014The Cap Grill runs like a well oiled machine. Always consistent. Excellent Service, great wine list. Exciting bar scene. Super staff, always helpful and they put the customer first. Bravo to Melissa and the team. Great place for business or social.Special Features:
- Lovely Work DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/28/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at The Capital Grille - the food & ambiance were perfect for our team dinner...and the service is always good too. Thank you.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014All Capital Grilles where we have dined have has been good, and we would recommend each. But for the Time Life Building one was the best. Maybe since we reserved table a bit later on Sunday eve, it was quite good for a good conversation. The waiter was very knowledgable, cordial. And, complements to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance/service...but food..VisitorDined on 10/26/2014Great staff and ambiance...Ordered the pepper steak and grilled brussel sprouts. The vegetable were great-astounded when the steak encrusted with 1/2 an inch of uncooked hard black peppercorns. My experience with "pepper steak' sees a gentle dusting of black pepper with soft green peppers taking the lead role in generating the flavour. Little sauce/no green peppercorns- left crunching through bitter black peppercorns encrusting steak like barnacles. The steak was a generous portion cooked exactly to the level I asked...bu tasteless! like eating warm styrofoam. Disappointing-heard great things about the CGl. W give it another try as the staff are good and a lovely dining room but this one was a swing and a miss.Special Features:
- We will be back again!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2014My family and I really enjoy going to this restaurant. We always get great service, and the food is excellent! This restaurant is one of our favorite places to eat in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak house and more!Bentley901Dined on 10/25/2014Second trip here with family members, first time it was a Dad and Daughter dinner. Food and service is fantastic. Introduced my daughter to a special they had, Steak Oscar. Filet mignon with crabmeat, bernaise sauce and asparagus. Have not had anyone make this right in 25 years. Capital Grill hit the mark. Just return with the rest of the family and can't say enough. We will return again and enjoyed everything from the minute we walked in the door.Special Features:
- Outstanding MealDenise22Dined on 10/25/2014I have wanted to go to the Capital Grille for years - Finally got there last Saturday night to celebrate our anniversary. In my reservation request, I noted that it was my wedding anniversary. The restaurant had a special table for us, complete with heart-shaped confetti and a card. If you go to the restaurant between 4 and 7, ask for the special pre-theater menu, it's $39 for a salad, entree and dessert! A wonderful, unadvertised value! The wine list was superb, and was presented on an ipad - which make it very easy to find an outstanding bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing birthday dinnerrheasueVIPDined on 10/25/2014We have dined at this restaurant at least 20 times. So I chose this restaurant for my birthday dinner. I was disappointed with both the food and our server,Julian P. I ordered my sirloin medium without the kobe rub. IT came out medium rare with the kobe rub. Even the vegetables came out wrong. Julian told me to eat the steamed spinach while I waited for my steak to be cooked correctly. When it finally arrived, it still had the kobe rub which tasted like coffee grinds. I left the steak over. My husband ordered flourless cake for dessert. He was given my birthday plate with a small piece of chocolate cake. No manager ever came to check on us. We usually buy $1500 worth of gift cards but now plan to bring our business elsewhere.
- ExcellentOurFavoriteDined on 10/24/2014It was our first trip to NYC and we chose this restaurant because of their menu choices. We were also celebrating my daughters 17th birthday. They decorated the table, had a card for her and she received a wonderful dessert after dinner. The waitress was new and amazing! She was very helpful with our dinner choices and had many recommendations for things in the area. They have a theater menu that is reasonably priced and has great choices! Amazing restaurant. We will eat here again!Special Features:
- Outstanding!AlexanderDined on 10/22/2014If you are close to Rock Center do yourself a favor and stop in The Capital Grille in the Time Life Building for lunch or dinner. I ordered the porterhouse steak and it was simply amazing. Perfectly delivered and the service was excellent. The place rivals the best steakhouses in Manhattan- you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- good food but reservation not goodlauraVIPDined on 10/22/2014Although we had a reservation, we had to wait 25 minutes for a lunchtime table as the restaurant was overbooked. The food was great, but we had to rush through our meal.
- great food good servicejkkyVIPDined on 10/21/2014I highly recommend this restaurant. The food is wonderful and the staff is accommodating and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic & reliableSRadjyVIPDined on 10/21/2014Capital Grille is one of those places where everything is reliably tasty. The brussel sprout salad had bacon bits in it which I didn't expect but made all the difference, and the salmon was great with the sides of mashed potatoes and grilled mushrooms. They have a nifty ipad app for wines and cocktails, too! Given the quality and classic style, I would say this is a perfect spot for business lunch/dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foody1Dined on 10/21/2014A very good steak restaurant in a town that has a lot of excellent steak houses. Atmosphere, service and diversity of menu help keep Capital Grill in the mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than "Capital" experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014We went to Cap Grille Midtown at 6:45 pm for the pre-theater menu. Understandably, it was very busy. But that doesn't excuse the poor service and inattention to detail that plagued our meal from the very beginning. Example of minor problem: the waiter asked if my boyfriend wanted olives in his cosmo (??); major problems: my mother never got the drink she ordered, despite asking for it twice and then it still showed up on the bill; 4 of our steaks were well done, when we asked for med and med-rare; sides came out 15 mins after steaks. Overall, the staff just seemed uninterested. We had several drinks but passed on more b/c we just couldn't track down the waiter. Very disappointing, as this dinner was to celebrate my birthday.
- Great experienceFoodieVIPDined on 10/16/2014Love the pre theater menu. Delicious lamb chops! Excellent server, Samantha, enhanced the dining experience. Many interesting cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I ordered from the bar lunch menu.angieDined on 10/16/2014I had the crab and lobster burger and the parmagean and truffle fries. The fries were horrible and the burger wad just ok. I've had better. I was really disappointed but my martini was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and waitstaff - as usualScOuTDined on 10/16/2014CG continues to be one of my favorite midtown restaurants.Special Features: