The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
120 West 51st Street, Time Life Bldg.
New York, NY 10020Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.capitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 2122460154x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Peter Menard
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact our Sales and Marketing Manager today. Can accommodate up to 35 guests per private dining room.
A word from The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service.Continued
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email email@example.com
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Capital Grille - NY – Time Life Building reviews from OpenTable diners
337 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (197)notable wine list (146)fit for foodies (116)good for groups (116)romantic (114)great for lunch (81)vibrant bar scene (53)neighborhood gem (45)hot spot (34)late-night find (20)great for brunch (19)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (10)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Less than "Capital" experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014We went to Cap Grille Midtown at 6:45 pm for the pre-theater menu. Understandably, it was very busy. But that doesn't excuse the poor service and inattention to detail that plagued our meal from the very beginning. Example of minor problem: the waiter asked if my boyfriend wanted olives in his cosmo (??); major problems: my mother never got the drink she ordered, despite asking for it twice and then it still showed up on the bill; 4 of our steaks were well done, when we asked for med and med-rare; sides came out 15 mins after steaks. Overall, the staff just seemed uninterested. We had several drinks but passed on more b/c we just couldn't track down the waiter. Very disappointing, as this dinner was to celebrate my birthday.
- Great experienceFoodieVIPDined on 10/16/2014Love the pre theater menu. Delicious lamb chops! Excellent server, Samantha, enhanced the dining experience. Many interesting cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I ordered from the bar lunch menu.angieDined on 10/16/2014I had the crab and lobster burger and the parmagean and truffle fries. The fries were horrible and the burger wad just ok. I've had better. I was really disappointed but my martini was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and waitstaff - as usualScOuTDined on 10/16/2014CG continues to be one of my favorite midtown restaurants.Special Features:
- Excellent!Cas9VIPDined on 10/15/2014This restaurant has a wonderful kitchen. Everything is delicious! However, the most notable thing about this restaurant is that it remains one of the rare establishments that hasn't forgotten the mean of good service. Don't miss being pampered here while enjoying delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchLowrider10Dined on 10/13/2014Good, convenient spot for lunch that is decently priced. My business clients were cold though and the temp never adjusted. Waiter knew his stuff and was professional but could have not interrupted me mid-sentence. Overall good experience at a place I go a few times a month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great special eventDaveWDined on 10/12/2014We made reservations here for celebration of our 40th wedding anniversary. they took us to the table right at the time of our reservation, and the table was decorated with confetti hearts and an anniversary card. The server was great, they had a bottle of one of our favorite wines, and the food was tremendous. I had the lobster bisque soup, and a filet with gorgonzola cheese and truffles, with a small lobster tail added. My wife had filet with onions and mushrooms. All prepared very, very well. The little anniversary cheesecake they presented for dessert was also great. Overall, the server and kitchen made this a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Never DisappointslmpdinerDined on 10/12/2014We can always count on a great meal, warm atmosphere and excellent service. This is our place for steak in NYC! Love the filet mignon! Sides and salads are alway a good size and delicious! The breadbasket is always a hit with the table. Good wine list and reasonable prices even on "by the glass". We will be back often!Special Features:
- luv2dineoutDined on 10/11/2014"My mom and I were out celebrating her retirement from the Board of Eduction. This our first time here and we had a great time I definitely would return to try more dishes. The new england clam chowder was AMAZING and my filet mignon was cooked to PERFECTION!! The service was well-timed and friendly."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great before seeing "Wicked"cb525Dined on 10/11/2014We stopped for a quick bite before seeing Wicked, the service was great and quick. The shrimp was delicious and I highly recommend it. Not crazy about the butternut squash soup with the chopped apples and curry, it was a bit heavy. Otherwise nice ambiance, energetic and fun.Special Features:
- Customer service/food Amazing!!AlanKVIPDined on 10/10/2014I had such a great evening!! Tracie Lee is AWESOME, she is on point with all recommendations, I would highly recommending to work with her. Whether is it selecting a wine, steak, lobster, etc. she nailed every recommendation. Thank you Tracie for making the night special. Steven Attema the Manager stopped by to say hello and to ensure all was well. Steven, thank you for taking the time, as it was appreciated! AlanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantDwayneDined on 10/9/2014Incredible restaurant, food, and service! I will certainly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Awesome as usual!AlanKVIPDined on 10/8/2014Once again I had a wonderful time at this establishment. The captain Melissa runs a great ship....cannot go wrong! Thank you!!! AlanSpecial Features:
- DeliciousLuv2eatDined on 10/5/2014The service and food were impeccable. Thanks for a great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent Capital GrilleJuniper99VIPDined on 10/2/2014The Capital Grille in the Time Life Building continues to be a hit or miss experience. My wife ordered a steak rare and yes it was pink on the inside but very dry. No blood on the plate. When we questioned this the chef said all cuts are not the same. My wife also complained about the sour taste of the meat which he could not explain. Her cut was covered with a thick gravy which normally is either on the side or must be ordered. Makes us wonder if this was a leftover cut from the previous day. For dessert I ordered a lemon sorbet. It turned out to be inedible. The sorbet took on the flavor of the metal cup that it was apparently stored in inside the freezer. BTW, the Capital Grille 42 St is MUCH better, never had a bad experience there.Special Features:
- SuperbLiveforfoodVIPDined on 10/2/2014We have been to Capital Grill in many cities. This New York City location is great. Excellent attentive service, lovely ambience and super tasty steaks. Our waiter was knowledgeable and went out of his way to make our experience wonderful. From the amus bouchée to the complimentary flourless chocolate cake at the end because we needed to catch a train and didn't have time to linger. The general manager personally Checked to make sure our meal lived up to our expectations. Nice touch!Special Features:
- Always greatsteakloverVIPDined on 9/30/2014We dine here somewhat frequently. After a bad start it has always been excellent. Service, food, ambiance all great. Pre theater menu is a bargain. Need to ask for it- goes until 7pm- but do. Same food- fraction of the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply fabulousDebbieGVIPDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I dined at this restaurant for our anniversary. The lamb chops were simply the best I've ever had and my husband had an equally perfect filet mignon oscar-style. I also highly recommend the spinach as a side dish. Our drinks were mixed very well ... every one of them! The staff went delightfully overboard by having our table designed with heart confetti and a hand-written anniversary card. Well done! We will see you again next time we are in New York.Special Features:
- Makes you feel specialFoodie12Dined on 9/27/2014Amazing customer service from hostess to wait staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Excellent food and service. Best cappaccino I ever had which seems funny for a steakhouse. Steak was perfectly cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!Cas9VIPDined on 9/25/2014We usually eat here on the weekends, but decided on a mid-week visit this time. The service was excellent. The biggest difference was in the bar area. It was much busier. On weeknights, it looks like this would be a good place to come after work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectPerfectDined on 9/23/2014An amazing evening at the Capital Grille. Filet Mignon with the Kona Rub was delicious. And so many great choices for wine.Special Features:
- Very ordinaryEmg7855VIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was very ordinary. I ordered the fish special, my companion the steak, both were ok but nothing special considering the cost. Our server, however, was wonderful.
- Ask for Price Fixed MenuFloridaFoodieDined on 9/19/2014Yep, you have to ask for it! What is you don't know if it's available? You lose. We don't like forthright, and this is not forthright. Food is great and service, with this exception, is excellent.
- Wonderful experienceRuthinaKDined on 9/18/2014Highly recommended!The filet mignon was the best choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the costWeedyVIPDined on 9/17/2014The atmosphere is predictable for the chain, and is nice enough. But the food is adequate at best, to bland. And at the prices they charge, there are far better options in the midtown area. Would not return.
- excellent consistentbigredVIPDined on 9/16/2014Our Favorite place in NYC Food always consistent and delicious and served nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014I love my steak and capital grill is a great place for a premium steak. Great service and wine list is also a plus.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014if you are going to see a broadway show, the capital grille on 51 street is a good place to dining before the show, the food is excellent. make sure you ask for theatre manu, because the price is about half of the regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always very enjoyable!Cas9VIPDined on 9/14/2014This restaurant rarely disappoints, which is why we keep coming back. The service was exceptional as was the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodPabloVIPDined on 9/13/2014Capital Grille is always good. Excellent steaks, great sides, good service. A favorite steakhouse. Only but is that it is totally predictable. How about changing the menu once a decade? How about Home fries. How about seasonal salads. CG seems stuck.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerkyledrinkDined on 9/13/2014Overall, it was a great experience. Also, great location in proximity to Time Square. We walked to Broadway in less than 10 minutes.Special Features:
- 40th birthday40thGNODined on 9/12/2014When we made the reservation we noted that it was a 40th birthday party dinner. From the moment we arrived they made the evening special. There were sparkles on the table and a birthday card! The food was fabulous and well paced. The server was friendly but not obtrusive. At the end of dinner we were brought the most delicious cheesecake with a candle. A great way to start an evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Fantastic EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014We took advantage of the wonderful pre-theater menu at the Capital Grille. The food was perfectly prepared and our server, Ed Sullivan ( brought back memories ) was as outstanding as the food. The restaurant's wine list has offerings to satisfy all preferences. The capital Grille and staff provided us with a memorable evening during our visit to New York CitySpecial Features:
- More to doOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014If the managers are going to walk around and talk with different groups and tables, I suggest they do it with ALL of the tables. Those not visited might take offense in being neglected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad WaitressLauraDined on 9/6/2014We have been to this restaurant before, and although the food is very good and the location is perfect for a pre-theatre dinner, the service this time was terrible. Our waitress was surly and not at all friendly or helpful. When I asked if there was a price fixed menu, she looked annoyed and took about 10 minutes to bring it to us. When our friend ordered his 2nd martini, and she was shaking the drink by our table, she lost control of the shaker, the top hit my water glass, and ice water was spilled all over the table and our friend. We tried to make light of this accident, but the waitress never even apologized for her mistake. Her bad attitude ruined our very expensive dinner. I will go somewhere else next time I go to the theatre.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great everything!FoodieVIPDined on 9/4/2014I love this restaurant! Is always consistently excellent! I get the price fix pre-theater menu which is a great bargain! We had a wonderful waiter named Ed who is so accommodating to special needs. Perfect lamb chops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing considering the priceSebastianDined on 8/31/2014It seemed ridiculous to be in New York and not eat steak one night. So choosing a 4* recommendation ought to have been a safe choice. Unfortunately this restaurant doesn't seem to know how to do a pepper steak cooked blue. Both surfaces were thickly coated in an oddly unspicy ground pepper mix. Unfortunately this combined with an insufficiently hot pan meant the surfaces failed to caramelise and the meat tasted of almost nothing. Rest of meal ok and wine list good. But steak is supposed to be the place's raison d'etre!Special Features:
- Bad ExperienceHuntGarDined on 8/29/2014I know the Capital Grille is a very nice place and it was my wife and I's first visit to a Capital Grille. We have always dined at Ruth's Chris. We decided to try Capital Grille. The service was not at all what we expected. Our waitress never came back to ask about our food, which was way undercooked, took a long time to be served, and the restaurant was empty. Our waitress walked DIRECTLY past us 5 times without looking or saying anything. My wife and I just sort of laughed it off, made the most of it, ate about a quarter of the dinner, a Filet and a Rib eye, and left. I was very disappointed in the service and the food.
- Enjoyable diningCas9VIPDined on 8/24/2014Capitol Grille rarely disappoints. This time was mostly on par with our other visits. The food was delicious as always. Our server this time was a bit abrupt, which is atypical. Usually stellar service complements excellent food. Don't miss the opportunity to enjoy this restaurant if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.