The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
155 E 42nd Street
Located in the Trylon Towers of The Chrysler Center
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: (212) 953-2000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Juan Arboleda
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
- Cross Street: Between Lexington & Third Avenues
- Public Transit: Grand Central Terminal: 4, 5, 6, 7 & S subways. Metro-North Railroad. Buses: M1, M2, M3, M4, M42, M98, M101, M 102, M104.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available daily for $10.00 after 3:30pm at the ICON Parking Garage on 40th Street between Second and Third Avenues (one closest to Second Avenue). For additional information call The Capital Grille at 212-953-2000.
A word from The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Located in the Chrysler Center.Continued
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email firstname.lastname@example.org
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email email@example.com
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center reviews from OpenTable diners
291 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (154)good for groups (115)notable wine list (106)fit for foodies (104)great for lunch (93)romantic (71)vibrant bar scene (57)hot spot (49)neighborhood gem (42)scenic view (19)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (12)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Had an excellent meal hereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/13/2008Had an excellent meal here on Friday evening. Paul was one of the best servers I've ever had. He truly made our experience memorable. He was attentive without being overbearing and it was a pleasure to see his cheerful face each time he came to our table. He made excellent suggestions. The lobster bisque is delicious. My only complaint about the food was that I felt the Lobster Mac n Cheese was a bit dry and lacking any creamy texture and the panko crumbs made it even drier! Otherwise meat (filet and lamb) were cooked perfectly. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- The service was nothing shortJoediningVIPDined on 6/10/2008The service was nothing short of excellent and the food and wine choices were very flexible. Overall, a good experience and a place I would recommend.
- Wonderful lunch experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/10/2008Wonderful lunch experience for me and my clients. Our waiter, Ahmed, was fantastic. Great service, food and location. Prices were very reasonable by NY standards.Special Features:
- As always the food at theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/8/2008As always the food at the Capital Grille was amazing and cooked to perfection. I had the left overs the next day and relived the glorious meal. I highly recommend it. The dessert were as phenomenal as the steaks. Capital Grille has not disappointed me yet.Special Features:
- service and food were excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2008service and food were excellent. We had a wonderful evening and would highly reccommend Capital Grille. Special kudos to our waiter George who was magnificentSpecial Features:
- i have been to SMITH AND WOLENSKY,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/6/2008i have been to SMITH AND WOLENSKY, BOBBY VAN'S, ROTHMAN'S, AND OTHER STEAK HOUSES. I LIKED THIS ONE THE BEST!! THEY EVEN HAVE A GREAT SEAFOOD SELECTION. EXCELLENT TASTING FOOD!!Special Features:
- You must dine here at leastOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2008You must dine here at least once in your life. For myself I need to go at least 4x a year. Amazing food, wine, service and desert. You must try the homemade ice cream. This food is sent from heaven! ummmmmm!Special Features:
- This is a great spot for aOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2008This is a great spot for a business lunch. With food from amazing salads to delicious burgers everyone can find something fit for their palate.Special Features:
- I appreciated them fulfillingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/27/2008I appreciated them fulfilling my request for a quiet booth. it was perfect. Great place to take cleints for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- The waitress told us the sidesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/22/2008The waitress told us the sides (asparagus) would be enough for 2 but when 2 people ordered 1 asparagus together she brought 2 big portions for the whole table. is that just a way to make more money? when others don't order it one should have asked at least.
- Fantastic! Most impressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/20/2008Fantastic! Most impressive was the warm and cheerful attitude of everyone on staff...from the manager to the busboy. Everyone greeted us, remembered our names,and remembered the occasion we were celebrating. We were treated like celebs. Food was consistently delicious and cooked perfectly to our order. Foodies may be deterred by prejudices against chain restaurants but this restaurant does not see itself as part of the crowd and seems to aim to stand on its own pursuit of excellent food and impeccable, warm service. I will not hesitate to return!Special Features:
- As always, Capital GrilleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/20/2008As always, Capital Grille was an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Overall very good, howeverOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/20/2008Overall very good, however seafood was over priced.Special Features:
- I continue to go back forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/19/2008I continue to go back for a stoli doli and the amazing kona steak!Special Features:
- Service was excellent in everyANONYMOUSVIPDined on 5/18/2008Service was excellent in every respect. There were two children with us and waiter was attentive to everyone's needs. Very pleasant & comfortable dining experience.Special Features:
- I really want to say I wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/17/2008I really want to say I was blown away by this place but I really wasn't. There really wasn't anything unique or special about this place. The food was enjoyable but didn't blow me away. The service was the best part. Our waitress was very knowledgeable and did an excellent job. I've eaten at several places like this and the Capital Grille didn't really stand out. Just your average ordinary Steak place. It's a good consistent place and you know you won't be disappointed. If you're looking for a good steak and fancy steakhouse to eat it at, this place will do. If you're looking for something to "WOW!" you, you're not going to get it here.Special Features:
- excellent. portions are quiteBuonissimoDined on 5/16/2008excellent. portions are quite large, try the lobster mashed potatoes with your steak or fish yum.Special Features:
- Capital Grille has great steaksPegWVIPDined on 5/16/2008Capital Grille has great steaks but the a la carte menu tends to get a bit pricey. It is a great place to go where you can have a conversation without being involved in other peoples conversations and likewise. The table spacing is the main reason we go there. Good steaks are easy to find in Manhattan.
- Really terrific restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/16/2008Really terrific restaurant - nicely decorated, excellent service, delicious food - the building itself and the dining room are fantastic! I just loved the extra touch with the "leftover" take home bag - the shopping bag had a very nice note attached that was certainly a nice touch. All in all, we had a excellent lunch date at the Capital Grille.Special Features:
- Quiet area tables needed forMichaelVIPDined on 5/15/2008Quiet area tables needed for business types...to be able to hold a dinner meeting without needing to scream to hold a conversation.
- I call this a power lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/15/2008I call this a power lunch place, A lot of professionals who still have a decent expense account. If you want to impress a client, this place is perfect. The hostesses were very nice and welcoming.Special Features:
- I have to say that CapitalOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/13/2008I have to say that Capital Grille is my favorite restaurant in the world and I've been going since it opened. Tuesday night was a real disappointment with the service. My filet mignon was part fat which I've never experienced at your restaurant. I usually polish off a 14oz by myself...needless to say they took it off the bill, which was extremely nice of them. What just made the dinner experience not enjoyable was the waiter who was lacking tremendously in personality and missing in action for a good part of our meal. Usually the waiters are top notch checking to see if all is ok and if you want more drinks..etc. Was not happening Sorry for the bad review but I have not lost faith in the restaurant but will never have that waiter.Special Features:
- Service is better than yourOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/12/2008Service is better than your typical NYC steakhouse with friendly and attentive service. My steak was a little overdone, but they whipped out another one surprisingly quick. Great place to go where you want to have a conversation without having to scream and the pace of service takes its cue from the customer. They don't rush you out the door like some other places.
- salad had great potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2008salad had great potential based on description by waiter but actually had very little taste, small portion, overall was not satisfying
- steak was a bit dry and notOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/9/2008steak was a bit dry and not up to my expectations. The crabcakes were excellent.Special Features:
- great business lunch loacation.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/5/2008great business lunch loacation. hostess is excellent and wait staff is very good.Special Features:
- While my lamb chops were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/3/2008While my lamb chops were very good and cooked perfectly medium rare, the truffle fries were truly the amazing part of the meal. That and the service--I wish I remembered his name because he was the perfect combination of friendly without being too casual, attentive without hovering, helpful without being pushy. Overall good experience.Special Features:
- Our server (David) was fantastic,OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/2/2008Our server (David) was fantastic, but the food was not consistent with the other Capital Grilles we have tried. The Washington D.C. location is far more superior in quality, and was the reason we tried the NYC location, which is our home location. For instance, the Delmonico at the NYC location was dressed with a strange sauce (maybe based on A1 steak sauce...I'm not sure) which diminished the natural flavor of the meat and gave it a cheap, tart aftertaste. Moreover, the steak arrived at the table while I was in the restroom, which was a major disappointment. At steak houses, I think most people relish the fresh-from-the-inferno sizzle of that first bite. The NYC location needs to honor this part of the steak-dining ritual.
- The food was very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2008The food was very enjoyable with very large portions. The bar scene before dinner was also an enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- excellent restaurant greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/26/2008excellent restaurant great varied menu was able to talk noise level ggodSpecial Features:
- The service at Capital GrilleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/25/2008The service at Capital Grille is always outstanding. The filet Mignon was tasty and cooked as requested. The Coconut creme pie was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent service and attention.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/23/2008Excellent service and attention. The best steak anywhere, and I know all the steak places.Special Features:
- Peter, our server, was friendly,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/22/2008Peter, our server, was friendly, knowledgeable and funny.Special Features:
- We have typically visitedSteveDined on 4/19/2008We have typically visited the Minneapolis restaurant and found the NYC Grille to be equal to the experience. We love the steaks and it is one of my wife's favorite places to eat and celebrate special occasions.Special Features:
- I've eaten at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2008I've eaten at this restaurant numerous times, and I am never disappointed. I would highly recommend it to anyone. The service is always impeccable.Special Features:
- The view of the Ghrysler buildingOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 4/18/2008The view of the Ghrysler building through the glass roof is great. The service from David was fantastic and the food a delight. We will return on our next trip to New York.Special Features:
- In a landscape populated byOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/15/2008In a landscape populated by famed steak houses, with more opening to hoopla each month, Capital Grille beats them all overall --outstanding steaks and other items, best service of any NYC steakhouse (overseen by the charming, professional and delightful Jill),fine ambiance. Though we have long been devotees of Peter Luger, Capital Grille is the real steakhouse of our choice when we want an always satisfying meal and fine dining experience without a hassle and want to feel "at home." Can't beat it!Special Features:
- Fabulous dining whether havingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/15/2008Fabulous dining whether having meat or fish. Impeccable service. Many seating options for all occassions. Appointed lovely from prism glass cieling in the main dining room to banquets and private dining rooms. Wonderful wine. Well located near Grand Central Train Station and many hotels such as Hyatt and Helmsley in midtown and subway.Special Features:
- Please see my earlier reviewDcerngDinrVIPDined on 4/13/2008Please see my earlier review of this wonderful restaurant. We brought friends this time and they too were delighted.Special Features:
- Absolutely Fab! Our secondOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/11/2008Absolutely Fab! Our second time there - went back because of the great food and outstanding service by Waiter Gerry Garcia. He was brilliantSpecial Features: