The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
155 E 42nd Street
Located in the Trylon Towers of The Chrysler Center
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 2129532000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Juan Arboleda
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
- Cross Street: Between Lexington & Third Avenues
- Public Transit: Grand Central Terminal: 4, 5, 6, 7 & S subways. Metro-North Railroad. Buses: M1, M2, M3, M4, M42, M98, M101, M 102, M104.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available daily for $10.00 after 3:30pm at the ICON Parking Garage on 40th Street between Second and Third Avenues (one closest to Second Avenue). For additional information call The Capital Grille at 212-953-2000.
A word from The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Located in the Chrysler Center.Continued
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email email@example.com
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center reviews from OpenTable diners
351 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (196)notable wine list (138)good for groups (134)fit for foodies (123)great for lunch (107)romantic (94)hot spot (60)vibrant bar scene (60)neighborhood gem (55)scenic view (28)great for brunch (17)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (12)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- SUPERBSultryBlondeDined on 10/22/2014In addition to the food what I found really amazing was the service. Our steaks were just a little undercooked and they fixed that in a jiffy without hesitation and brought fresh, hot side dishes back with them without us even asking. The steak was delicious but their mashed potatoes and creamed spinach were amazing. The cheesecake is must have for dessert so save room!Special Features:
- Great restaurantYouyouVIPDined on 10/17/2014Awesome food , great service ... Rodrigo was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent steak!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/15/2014Perfectly cooked, excellent cut! Enjoyed ever bite! Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchJosephVIPDined on 10/13/2014The CG is always a good decision for a business lunch. The good is consistently good, the service is not intrusive at all - but available, and the food, expertly prepared, is served quickly. That's important when you need to get back to the office. I'll go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brithday celebrationaltoDined on 10/12/2014Though the restaurant was hosting a 100 person baby shower, I did not feel slighted in the least. I was well taken cared of and was treated royally. Highly recommend this space.Special Features:
- Dinner & Service was Wonderful!ellenDined on 10/11/2014The food was delicious, service was outstanding and it made a truly pleasant and memorable birthday celebration!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud too much!RexyVIPDined on 10/9/20145 of us had dinner here the other night 5 people $700! Very pricey just 2 appetizers and 2 sides 5 steaks no dessert or coffee each had 2 cocktails apiece way too expensive but a decent meal outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Nightfederalist25VIPDined on 10/6/2014We went to the Capital Grille to celebrate our anniversary and because we had a gift card to put towards dinner. My wife and I were pleasantly surprised. The staff made us feel special as soon as we walked in by wishing us a happy anniversary and then bringing us to a nice table decorated with little hearts to to help celebrate the occasion. Our meal was very good and at the end they treated us to a glass of champagne each as well as great dessert. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food butBassguyDined on 10/1/2014Service here was welcoming and attentive. Food very good. However, even the noise level was not conducive to conversation. Although I expected a high tab, it far exceededy expectations.Special Features:
- Outstanding Service, FoodMiaFoodieVIPDined on 10/1/2014I brought my team to this wonderful restaurant and we had a wonderful time. The food was wonderful.. and service was top notch and the experience was amazing and top notch. My co workers wish to return again soon. I know we are in good hands always at Capital Grill. Thank you, EileenSpecial Features:
- One of the bestNyceatsVIPDined on 9/30/2014Always excellent and the tuna is as great as the steak I keep on coming back wether business or pleasure large groups or just 2Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperiencehudsonvalleynycDined on 9/26/2014This was our second time at The Capital Grille Chrysler Center, and it just keeps getting better! The service both at the bar and table were top-notch. The staff was extremely friendly, accommodating and on top of our needs. Of course, the food was delicious. The ambiance was great - we love the decor and architecture of the Chrysler Center location. No stone was left unturned, and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall an excellent experience...tankengineDined on 9/19/2014Been at Capital Grille multiple times and it never fails to impress. Yes, it is an elite NYC steakhouse and priced accordingly, however, the food is delicious and the service is impeccable. For special occassions where steak is on the venue you cannot go wrong here, really. On a more basic note, the server bread is always warm and the butter is simply the best ever (e.g., sweet and tasty). My highest recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great experienceWFT1Dined on 9/13/2014Took our friends for thier 29 year wedding anniversary. Staff/service were top rate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014We were fortunate to get a reservation for 5 people on short notice Friday evening. I noted in the box on OpenTable that it was to be a birthday dinner. When we arrived at the restaurant a few minutes later the table had been sprinkled with confetti and a birthday card awaited. Dinner and service was great and without asking a birthday dessert with candles arrived. I've hosted and attended work events here before and have always been impressed with their easy going arrangements and service. Very nice and fairly priced wine list. Excellent food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Our waiter was very attentive and made the dining experience wonderful. The food was perfect. Cooked right and seasoned right.Special Features:
- A little disappointedBr0nxVill3BabyDined on 9/12/2014I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Chilean Sea Bass - cold, peice of metal in my slice of chocolate hazelnut cake, great service. I wouldn't go back.
- Very, very good...tankengineDined on 9/10/2014Been to The Capital Grille at the 42nd Street at least five times now and I am never disappointed with the quality of the steaks, the presentation of the various dishes, and the very attentive wait staff who really aim to please and never drop the ball. If I could afford it, I would dine there once a week and twice on Sundays as the saying goes...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harry3Dined on 9/8/2014Wonderful dining experience .... courteous, attentive staff ... service was excellent and I think that was the best meal I had in a few years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect birthday lunchAudreyVIPDined on 9/8/2014Lunch was great. Restaurant did everything for a birthday celebration with free bubbly decorated table and dessert. Also happy there for all occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014Always my favorite for a special occasion! Best waitstaff in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at the Capital GrillefiremanfrankDined on 9/4/2014We treated a friend of ours to Lunch here and I have to say the meal was really great, the noise level in the quite good (you could have a reasonable conversation). I would definitely recommend the restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another AnniversaryMeeeVIPDined on 9/3/2014My wife and I celebrated our 4th Anniversary of Our First Date. We come back every year (live in Florida), to have dinner at the same time, same date and same booth. The Capital Grille always accommodates our requests! Now a tradition for us. Thanks again and see you next year. (We also frequent the Capital Grille in Tampa and lower Manhattan.) -CliffSpecial Features:
- Bypass the wines, go for spiritsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/2/2014Excessive markup on wines by glass -- you will pay 20 percent more for a single glass at the bar than you would for an entire bottle retail, which is excessive even by restaurant standards -- and poor selection. Too many low-tier wines (e.g. Indaba) at mid-tier prices. Getting top-shelf spirits is a better value. The bartenders know all of the old school standards as well as current mixologist snob favorites.Special Features:
- Very disappointing.MickeyDined on 9/1/2014Food was not prepared well, had to be sent back twice. Potatoes came out cold. It was Monday, Labor Day, perhaps the chef was off that day. I do not plan to return.
- special occasion to be recommendedMikeyny64Dined on 8/31/2014Lobster crabcakes were just delicious, meat was cooked perfectly as ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday Dinner!DiningDivaDined on 8/31/2014It was my sister's birthday, which I had noted during making my Open Table reservation. They had decorated the table with confetti and the waiter wished her a happy birthday! A moment later he came over with flutes of champagne for each of us to toast the birthday girl. The dinner itself was outstanding for all four of us...not one complaint! The waiter was attentive without hovering. After dinner he brought a complimentary birthday dessert for all of us to share. Service was outstanding and the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBiancaVIPDined on 8/28/2014We have dined at Capital Grille in many cities but this particular restaurant is our favorite. The staff is extremely friendly and the restaurant is beautiful. The food is outstanding. I had the sirloin steak and the seasoning was just right. My husband had the Halibut and it was very good. The portion sizes are just right. Always consistent and just a really pleasant experience.Special Features:
- lvsmallrestaurantsVIPDined on 8/27/2014Another nice lunch meeting at your restaurant...Food was great...had a new waiter so there was a little confusion with training going on in the back room..Not a big deal.....WarrenSpecial Features:
- MonaVIPDined on 8/26/2014Loved the service. Amazing food. We were very pleased with our experience.Special Features:
- Great SteakFood77VIPDined on 8/24/2014Have been to Capital Grille locations in other US cities. They are very consistent in their delivery. Nothing I cant say about the NYC location that I cant say about Detroit, Chicago, etc. Great appetizers (shrimp cocktail). The lobster mac n cheese and cream corn were out of this world! I had the Kona steak (medium), it was very flavourful and the coffee infused crust was just to die for. The servers were all very attentive and made excellent suggestions for wine etc. Again, an all around great meal at a great pricepoint!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/20/2014We were a party of seven, and enjoyed our dining experience. The entres were excellent, back up from above average at the same place previously. The degree of cooking for the steaks was precise, and the sauces ( Kona sauce and the wine sauce) were excellent. My only issue with the event was the table itself. It was a large table, could probably do up to 10 and was placed at the beginning of the glass portion of the building. As such, it appeared to be added on, and was partly in the aisle. This inconvienced the waitstaff, as well as made it mildly uncomfortable for the people sitting on the side sticking out into the aisle.Special Features:
- happycamperVIPDined on 8/19/2014Always a solid choice with good food, quick service and a positive attitude. the staff from matre d on down treat their customers well.Special Features:
- One of best in NYC...lvsmallrestaurantsVIPDined on 8/18/2014Had yet another lunch meeting at Capital Grille, Best Caesar salad with chicken, prepared like I've never had it before..As usual my guest and I had a great meal, perfect service...a NYC restaurant where you can actually carry on a conversation...I'll be Back....Warren WeidemanSpecial Features:
- SupremeBklynSugaDined on 8/15/20142nd time dining here and I'm in love with the staff from the greeter to the wait staff. Food just seems to get better and better. Introduced 3 new ppl to this resturant and they also fell in love. lobster Mac n cheese is orgasmic!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceLady69Dined on 8/15/2014I had reunion dinner with my friend, we have not been seeing each other since 1984. We had a coulp of drinks before we start order, our waiter Tony is a very good guy, he takes care of us very good, and be patients. The aged steak is excellent , which I recommend to my friend, and I loved salmon with green bean. Just wish the food can be presented better on plate.Special Features:
- The Hidden EntranceTabascoDivaDined on 8/15/2014A fantastic deal with the Restaurant Week Menu. The salad was delicious. My steak was perfect:juicy not over or undercooked. my desert was a chocolate mousse, however my best friend Cheesecake was superb. The only hitch: on the reservation I requested wheelchair accessibility. When we arrived, we discovered there were stairs. We sat outside for almost 1/2 hour before someone from the staff by pure luck came out. He directed us to a side entrance where supplies come in. I was not happy by such a shabby welcome. We stayed, we were hungry and it was late to change our transportation arrangements. Inside the staff was amicable especially Dan the bartender , surprised us with a glass of wine on the house for the entrance mishap.Special Features:
- Great TasteJonesReviewsDined on 8/14/2014The food was amazing! My wife and I went during Restaurant Week and it was a first time for us both. The chef's work on the filet mignon was top notch! It's taste to find a place where you can get a perfectly cooked medium-well steak. The knife cut through is like butter and the seasoning was on point! My wife and I also loved the mashed potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence comes at a priceluv2eatVIPDined on 8/13/2014I've tried most of the "famous" beef joints in NYC and like Capital Grille the best. There meat is excellent and perfectly cooked. Although not there for the "sides" - the mashed potatoes are excellent as are the veggies. I found the spinach salad a little sweet whereas I like more acid to cut thru the bacon and hard boiled eggs but the crab meat/shrimp appetizer was excellent. But great steak doesn't come cheap - as my bill proved.Special Features:
- Could use some improvementJohnLeeDined on 8/13/2014I've been to Capital Grille at the Chrysler Building for a few years and the past experience has been outstanding. I was there last Wednesday and I have to say that the standard has come down a bit. Our waiter dropped some food on our table cloth and he picked it up and serve on my plate. I believe the table cloth was clean, but still that was not the right thing to do. Our meat was over-cooked/burnt, not the way we ordered as medium. I just would like the management read this and make some improvement to bring the restaurant back to the high level.Special Features: