The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
155 E 42nd Street
Located in the Trylon Towers of The Chrysler Center
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 2129532000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Juan Arboleda
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
- Cross Street: Between Lexington & Third Avenues
- Public Transit: Grand Central Terminal: 4, 5, 6, 7 & S subways. Metro-North Railroad. Buses: M1, M2, M3, M4, M42, M98, M101, M 102, M104.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available daily for $10.00 after 3:30pm at the ICON Parking Garage on 40th Street between Second and Third Avenues (one closest to Second Avenue). For additional information call The Capital Grille at 212-953-2000.
A word from The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Located in the Chrysler Center.Continued
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email firstname.lastname@example.org
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email email@example.com
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center reviews from OpenTable diners
352 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (193)notable wine list (133)good for groups (128)fit for foodies (114)great for lunch (107)romantic (92)hot spot (60)neighborhood gem (58)vibrant bar scene (54)scenic view (31)late-night find (20)great for brunch (16)kid-friendly (12)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- always a great experienceWFT1Dined on 9/13/2014Took our friends for thier 29 year wedding anniversary. Staff/service were top rate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014We were fortunate to get a reservation for 5 people on short notice Friday evening. I noted in the box on OpenTable that it was to be a birthday dinner. When we arrived at the restaurant a few minutes later the table had been sprinkled with confetti and a birthday card awaited. Dinner and service was great and without asking a birthday dessert with candles arrived. I've hosted and attended work events here before and have always been impressed with their easy going arrangements and service. Very nice and fairly priced wine list. Excellent food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Our waiter was very attentive and made the dining experience wonderful. The food was perfect. Cooked right and seasoned right.Special Features:
- A little disappointedBr0nxVill3BabyDined on 9/12/2014I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Chilean Sea Bass - cold, peice of metal in my slice of chocolate hazelnut cake, great service. I wouldn't go back.
- Very, very good...tankengineDined on 9/10/2014Been to The Capital Grille at the 42nd Street at least five times now and I am never disappointed with the quality of the steaks, the presentation of the various dishes, and the very attentive wait staff who really aim to please and never drop the ball. If I could afford it, I would dine there once a week and twice on Sundays as the saying goes...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harry3Dined on 9/8/2014Wonderful dining experience .... courteous, attentive staff ... service was excellent and I think that was the best meal I had in a few years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect birthday lunchAudreyVIPDined on 9/8/2014Lunch was great. Restaurant did everything for a birthday celebration with free bubbly decorated table and dessert. Also happy there for all occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014Always my favorite for a special occasion! Best waitstaff in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at the Capital GrillefiremanfrankDined on 9/4/2014We treated a friend of ours to Lunch here and I have to say the meal was really great, the noise level in the quite good (you could have a reasonable conversation). I would definitely recommend the restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another AnniversaryMeeeVIPDined on 9/3/2014My wife and I celebrated our 4th Anniversary of Our First Date. We come back every year (live in Florida), to have dinner at the same time, same date and same booth. The Capital Grille always accommodates our requests! Now a tradition for us. Thanks again and see you next year. (We also frequent the Capital Grille in Tampa and lower Manhattan.) -CliffSpecial Features:
- Bypass the wines, go for spiritsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/2/2014Excessive markup on wines by glass -- you will pay 20 percent more for a single glass at the bar than you would for an entire bottle retail, which is excessive even by restaurant standards -- and poor selection. Too many low-tier wines (e.g. Indaba) at mid-tier prices. Getting top-shelf spirits is a better value. The bartenders know all of the old school standards as well as current mixologist snob favorites.Special Features:
- Very disappointing.MickeyDined on 9/1/2014Food was not prepared well, had to be sent back twice. Potatoes came out cold. It was Monday, Labor Day, perhaps the chef was off that day. I do not plan to return.
- special occasion to be recommendedMikeyny64Dined on 8/31/2014Lobster crabcakes were just delicious, meat was cooked perfectly as ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday Dinner!DiningDivaDined on 8/31/2014It was my sister's birthday, which I had noted during making my Open Table reservation. They had decorated the table with confetti and the waiter wished her a happy birthday! A moment later he came over with flutes of champagne for each of us to toast the birthday girl. The dinner itself was outstanding for all four of us...not one complaint! The waiter was attentive without hovering. After dinner he brought a complimentary birthday dessert for all of us to share. Service was outstanding and the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBiancaVIPDined on 8/28/2014We have dined at Capital Grille in many cities but this particular restaurant is our favorite. The staff is extremely friendly and the restaurant is beautiful. The food is outstanding. I had the sirloin steak and the seasoning was just right. My husband had the Halibut and it was very good. The portion sizes are just right. Always consistent and just a really pleasant experience.Special Features:
- lvsmallrestaurantsDined on 8/27/2014Another nice lunch meeting at your restaurant...Food was great...had a new waiter so there was a little confusion with training going on in the back room..Not a big deal.....WarrenSpecial Features:
- MonaVIPDined on 8/26/2014Loved the service. Amazing food. We were very pleased with our experience.Special Features:
- Great SteakFood77VIPDined on 8/24/2014Have been to Capital Grille locations in other US cities. They are very consistent in their delivery. Nothing I cant say about the NYC location that I cant say about Detroit, Chicago, etc. Great appetizers (shrimp cocktail). The lobster mac n cheese and cream corn were out of this world! I had the Kona steak (medium), it was very flavourful and the coffee infused crust was just to die for. The servers were all very attentive and made excellent suggestions for wine etc. Again, an all around great meal at a great pricepoint!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/20/2014We were a party of seven, and enjoyed our dining experience. The entres were excellent, back up from above average at the same place previously. The degree of cooking for the steaks was precise, and the sauces ( Kona sauce and the wine sauce) were excellent. My only issue with the event was the table itself. It was a large table, could probably do up to 10 and was placed at the beginning of the glass portion of the building. As such, it appeared to be added on, and was partly in the aisle. This inconvienced the waitstaff, as well as made it mildly uncomfortable for the people sitting on the side sticking out into the aisle.Special Features:
- happycamperDined on 8/19/2014Always a solid choice with good food, quick service and a positive attitude. the staff from matre d on down treat their customers well.Special Features:
- One of best in NYC...lvsmallrestaurantsDined on 8/18/2014Had yet another lunch meeting at Capital Grille, Best Caesar salad with chicken, prepared like I've never had it before..As usual my guest and I had a great meal, perfect service...a NYC restaurant where you can actually carry on a conversation...I'll be Back....Warren WeidemanSpecial Features:
- SupremeBklynSugaDined on 8/15/20142nd time dining here and I'm in love with the staff from the greeter to the wait staff. Food just seems to get better and better. Introduced 3 new ppl to this resturant and they also fell in love. lobster Mac n cheese is orgasmic!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceLady69Dined on 8/15/2014I had reunion dinner with my friend, we have not been seeing each other since 1984. We had a coulp of drinks before we start order, our waiter Tony is a very good guy, he takes care of us very good, and be patients. The aged steak is excellent , which I recommend to my friend, and I loved salmon with green bean. Just wish the food can be presented better on plate.Special Features:
- The Hidden EntranceTabascoDivaDined on 8/15/2014A fantastic deal with the Restaurant Week Menu. The salad was delicious. My steak was perfect:juicy not over or undercooked. my desert was a chocolate mousse, however my best friend Cheesecake was superb. The only hitch: on the reservation I requested wheelchair accessibility. When we arrived, we discovered there were stairs. We sat outside for almost 1/2 hour before someone from the staff by pure luck came out. He directed us to a side entrance where supplies come in. I was not happy by such a shabby welcome. We stayed, we were hungry and it was late to change our transportation arrangements. Inside the staff was amicable especially Dan the bartender , surprised us with a glass of wine on the house for the entrance mishap.Special Features:
- Great TasteJonesReviewsDined on 8/14/2014The food was amazing! My wife and I went during Restaurant Week and it was a first time for us both. The chef's work on the filet mignon was top notch! It's taste to find a place where you can get a perfectly cooked medium-well steak. The knife cut through is like butter and the seasoning was on point! My wife and I also loved the mashed potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence comes at a priceluv2eatVIPDined on 8/13/2014I've tried most of the "famous" beef joints in NYC and like Capital Grille the best. There meat is excellent and perfectly cooked. Although not there for the "sides" - the mashed potatoes are excellent as are the veggies. I found the spinach salad a little sweet whereas I like more acid to cut thru the bacon and hard boiled eggs but the crab meat/shrimp appetizer was excellent. But great steak doesn't come cheap - as my bill proved.Special Features:
- Could use some improvementJohnLeeDined on 8/13/2014I've been to Capital Grille at the Chrysler Building for a few years and the past experience has been outstanding. I was there last Wednesday and I have to say that the standard has come down a bit. Our waiter dropped some food on our table cloth and he picked it up and serve on my plate. I believe the table cloth was clean, but still that was not the right thing to do. Our meat was over-cooked/burnt, not the way we ordered as medium. I just would like the management read this and make some improvement to bring the restaurant back to the high level.Special Features:
- Just one commentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014Over all we loved everything. Just a constructive commend: We wanted to enjoy the restaurant week value. Because we were in a special diet we did not eat bread, not even the tiny bread stick and the dessert. My friend ask for more vegetable instead which we were turned down. I could understand no substitution policy but some times some common sense is necessary.Special Features:
- AMAZING!KpattiezDined on 8/12/2014Went here for restaurant week and was very pleased by the ambiance and especially the service. Our waiter was VERY attentive and provided excellent menu recommendations and wine pairings. I would absolutely go back to this location in the future! My only negative comment, would be that we had to wait 10 minutes to get seated even though I had made a reservation.Special Features:
- AmazingalsbasketDined on 8/12/2014We had a large group of 14 people for Summer Restaurant Week and it was amazing. The staff were very nice and everybody had a great time. I order the steak medium rare and it came out perfect. Great restaurant, just have to check it out for yourself.Special Features:
- WastingfoodisasinVIPDined on 8/11/2014Tasted the same as at another restaurant in Wall Street. Too crowded, so service was not right. Ordered the Generous Pour, 7 kinds napa valley wine flight, but got to enjoy only 4 kinds. Sigh.
- good diningDfdinesDined on 8/11/2014The Capitol Grille is reliable for their excellent steaks and burgers. I was pleased with the delicious citrus-glazed salmon which met the quality level of the meat. Even though the restaurant was extremely busy, the tables are set far enough apart to be comfortable and not overwhelmed with others' conversations. The service is polite and attentive.Special Features:
- HEIHEIVIPDined on 8/11/2014Good food but we felt rushed by the waiters. They removed our bread basket without checking with us. They also interrupted our conversations for the purpose of presenting the check on the center of the table while we actually did not even ask for the check yet.
- Excellent dining esperienceDanthek54Dined on 8/10/2014I went with my girlfriend during NYC restaurant week. We chose this restaurant due to its menu and reputation and we must say that it exceeded our expectations. Hunter, our waiter was courteous, knowledgeable, and very professional. The food was prepared to perfection. And the 7 wine flight was the icing on the cake. I was very happy with our meal and i would recommend this establishment to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so soGrillDined on 8/10/20142days ago , i gone to the restaurant for dine. i ate restaurant week menu ( serloin steak, meshed potato, choco-cake) All i experienced are perfect but steak. I think meat is overdried too much. Iam a bit disappointed.Special Features:
- Everything was great, but..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014I went there for the restaurant week. it was on Sunday night for dinner. Everything was perfect except for the attitude of a waitress. I might be oversensitive but I felt that she became a little ignoring us after she find out we were going to order restaurant-week menu.Special Features:
- mahbillDined on 8/10/2014everything was delicious; service was spectacular.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014Dramatic setting, delicious steak, efficient and caring service.
- DisappointedMoniDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I invited 2 guests to celebrate their anniv and have eaten at your restaurant in the Wall Street area several times and have ALWAYS enjoyed exceptional meals. This was the first time that we ate at this location, we ordered three medium steaks but two of the sirloins that were served were far from medium and quite dry. When we pointed this out to our server, he told us that even though the outside portion of both steaks were well done, the insides were "pink" indicating that the steaks were cooked "medium" as ordered. We will return to The Capital Grille, but not at this location, since it was not consistent with the food served at the Wall Street area location.
- showgalVIPDined on 8/8/2014We always enjoy our experience at the Capital Grille. Staff is very helpful and pleasant. Food is great. Restaurant Week selections were very generous.Special Features: