The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
155 E 42nd Street
Located in the Trylon Towers of The Chrysler Center
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: (212) 953-2000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Juan Arboleda
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
- Cross Street: Between Lexington & Third Avenues
- Public Transit: Grand Central Terminal: 4, 5, 6, 7 & S subways. Metro-North Railroad. Buses: M1, M2, M3, M4, M42, M98, M101, M 102, M104.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available daily for $10.00 after 3:30pm at the ICON Parking Garage on 40th Street between Second and Third Avenues (one closest to Second Avenue). For additional information call The Capital Grille at 212-953-2000.
A word from The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Located in the Chrysler Center.Continued
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email firstname.lastname@example.org
* If you are making a reservation from outside of the U.S., please email email@example.com
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Capital Grille - NY – Chrysler Center reviews from OpenTable diners
303 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (160)good for groups (119)notable wine list (111)fit for foodies (107)great for lunch (95)romantic (74)vibrant bar scene (60)hot spot (54)neighborhood gem (44)scenic view (21)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (12)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/24/2014Steaks were cooked to perfection and were extremely tasty. Everything you look for in a great steak house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 2: Same cut, different temps, wrong partytankengineDined on 11/22/2014Capital Grille is still my favorite steakhouse and Cassidy, our waitress, could not do enough. My good friend and I both ordered Porterhouse cuts, I ordered it a Medium Plus and he ordered a Medium. The asst. staff later arrived with our steak and sides and they looked fine. At about half way into the meal we realized that our steaks had been switched. I had noticed mine was under cooked, however, my friend brought it to my attention as well. We decided not to send them back, or even make a fuss, however, going forward I will request for a marker be placed on the cooked steak (e.g., a decorative toothpick) denoting a Medium Plus temperature.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedVIPDined on 11/21/2014Food is top notch! Very professional set up. Service could improve. Nice place, but service could be improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive complimentary dessert with candle!LslrnzDined on 11/20/2014Celebrating a friend's birthday at Capital Grille on 42nd St. makes the occasion special. They reserved us a very nice table sprinkled with multi-colored balloon cut-outs and a card with birthday greetings leaning against the table lamp. Instead of bringing us the dessert menu, Brenda surprised us with an elongated desert dish that has a round cheesecake with a candle on one side, Happy Birthday in the center and chocolate cake with whipped cream on the other side. The plate had four kinds of colorful berries strewn all around with mint leaves. We were so pleased with the decadent and right portions of sweets to share after my friend made a wish and blew the candle! If you don't want to be disappointed in treating someone for a special occasion, make a reservation at Capital Grille on 4nd St.!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great steak dinner, perfect atmosphereMichDined on 11/15/2014Had a wonderful dinner on a Saturday night. We were in on the early side 6:30 and the atmosphere had good energy (right amount of buzz with out being frenetic so that you could still hear dinner conversation at a table for 6). The filet with the gorgonzola was delicious. We had the creamed spinach, truffle fries, and lobster mac and cheese as sides. All very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly timed servicegaryDined on 11/15/2014Our group needed to be served quickly as we had an event to attend. We order appetizers and entrees and both were timed perfectly. We did not feel rushed and had a lovely dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food, service very disappointing.Pittsburgher13VIPDined on 11/14/2014We are regular diners at the Cap Grille in Pgh due to its outstanding food and service. Our dinner here bore little resemblance to its Pgh counterpart. Last nights soup ,tuna and steak were served very cold and side dishes were forgotten. Our waiter was inattentive and service was slow. Despite management's taking the 3 entrees off of our bill our 6 guests (all New Yorkers ) I am sure were wondering why we chose such a mediocre restaurant in a city known for its great dining.
- Overpriced, mediocre foodJerryDined on 11/11/2014Convenient location, but really noisy. Not as good as other steakhouses.
- Great CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014Everyone was great. I asked if they could seat us away from the crowd. I also asked if they could bring dessert out with a candle. They did more than that. Upon arrival they had a birthday card for my sister, and the table had confetti spread across it. They had dessert with the candle and a" happy birthday" was printed on the plate with chocolate. My sister had a great time, which is what matters. The food was top notch, I had Chilean sea bass, and my sister filet mignon. Both were cooked to perfection, the Chilean sea bass melted in my mouth. The steak was a perfect medium rare. Capital Grille at the Chrysler will not be forgotten; and it was just lunch I can't imagine how much better dinner would have been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great servicelau88Dined on 11/4/2014The food was really good. My boyfriend and I both got a type of steak with a different sauce. Both were really good. And its great that they let you get smaller portions of the side dishes to share.Special Features:
- All Around WinnerCTGalDined on 10/30/2014If you want fantastic food, service and people that care about you, come to The Capital Grille!Special Features:
- excellent dinnercharlie1VIPDined on 10/28/2014the Capital Grille never disappoints. The food, wine and service made for a perfect business dinner. Thanks to Jill and the team! Best, CharlieSpecial Features:
- ReliableVtrtgrDined on 10/27/2014Took 7 of my clients to dinner there and as always no problem. Food, Service and staff were very good.Special Features:
- I would go back!JohnDined on 10/25/2014Food was delish...service was very good will returnI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dinner!ManolobgroupieDined on 10/24/2014The service is excellent and attentive! We ordered a steak w/ trimmings & it was cooked excellent! I've always enjoyed my meal at every Capital Grille I've been to. Always have a greatest. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- showgalVIPDined on 10/24/2014We enjoyed our dinner very much. The steak is always delicious and the lamb chops were great. I would highly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as always.KatLieuDined on 10/24/2014We've celebrated many occasion here and this time, they really went above and beyond for us, starting with heart confetti sprinkled all over our table, a complimentary champagne toast, and a surprise and free celebratory dessert that had Happy Anniversary written on the plate (stenciled cocoa powder). The bone-in 16 ounce filet mignon was umami to the max and the lamb chops-- unbeatable. We also shared the lobster bisque, lobster mac, and bacon blue cheese wedge salad. Hubby also had half a bottle of red wine. Best time we had at Capital Grille and thank you to our waitress Tracy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable steakhouseFaceamVIPDined on 10/24/2014Athough a bit corporate, and a chain, still a reliable steakhouse with good food, a nice wine list, and good service. And nice centra location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nebraska77VIPDined on 10/23/2014Had not returned to The Capital Grille for a while. My last experience was a very underwhelming meal. I am happy to say that lunch was delicious. The steak was perfectly cooked. The sea bass and oysters were delicious. My 3 guests and I enjoyed our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERBSultryBlondeDined on 10/22/2014In addition to the food what I found really amazing was the service. Our steaks were just a little undercooked and they fixed that in a jiffy without hesitation and brought fresh, hot side dishes back with them without us even asking. The steak was delicious but their mashed potatoes and creamed spinach were amazing. The cheesecake is must have for dessert so save room!Special Features:
- Great restaurantYouyouVIPDined on 10/17/2014Awesome food , great service ... Rodrigo was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent steak!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/15/2014Perfectly cooked, excellent cut! Enjoyed ever bite! Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchJosephVIPDined on 10/13/2014The CG is always a good decision for a business lunch. The good is consistently good, the service is not intrusive at all - but available, and the food, expertly prepared, is served quickly. That's important when you need to get back to the office. I'll go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brithday celebrationaltoDined on 10/12/2014Though the restaurant was hosting a 100 person baby shower, I did not feel slighted in the least. I was well taken cared of and was treated royally. Highly recommend this space.Special Features:
- Dinner & Service was Wonderful!ellenDined on 10/11/2014The food was delicious, service was outstanding and it made a truly pleasant and memorable birthday celebration!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud too much!RexyVIPDined on 10/9/20145 of us had dinner here the other night 5 people $700! Very pricey just 2 appetizers and 2 sides 5 steaks no dessert or coffee each had 2 cocktails apiece way too expensive but a decent meal outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Nightfederalist25VIPDined on 10/6/2014We went to the Capital Grille to celebrate our anniversary and because we had a gift card to put towards dinner. My wife and I were pleasantly surprised. The staff made us feel special as soon as we walked in by wishing us a happy anniversary and then bringing us to a nice table decorated with little hearts to to help celebrate the occasion. Our meal was very good and at the end they treated us to a glass of champagne each as well as great dessert. We would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food butBassguyDined on 10/1/2014Service here was welcoming and attentive. Food very good. However, even the noise level was not conducive to conversation. Although I expected a high tab, it far exceededy expectations.Special Features:
- Outstanding Service, FoodMiaFoodieVIPDined on 10/1/2014I brought my team to this wonderful restaurant and we had a wonderful time. The food was wonderful.. and service was top notch and the experience was amazing and top notch. My co workers wish to return again soon. I know we are in good hands always at Capital Grill. Thank you, EileenSpecial Features:
- One of the bestNyceatsVIPDined on 9/30/2014Always excellent and the tuna is as great as the steak I keep on coming back wether business or pleasure large groups or just 2Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperiencehudsonvalleynycDined on 9/26/2014This was our second time at The Capital Grille Chrysler Center, and it just keeps getting better! The service both at the bar and table were top-notch. The staff was extremely friendly, accommodating and on top of our needs. Of course, the food was delicious. The ambiance was great - we love the decor and architecture of the Chrysler Center location. No stone was left unturned, and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall an excellent experience...tankengineDined on 9/19/2014Been at Capital Grille multiple times and it never fails to impress. Yes, it is an elite NYC steakhouse and priced accordingly, however, the food is delicious and the service is impeccable. For special occassions where steak is on the venue you cannot go wrong here, really. On a more basic note, the server bread is always warm and the butter is simply the best ever (e.g., sweet and tasty). My highest recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great experienceWFT1Dined on 9/13/2014Took our friends for thier 29 year wedding anniversary. Staff/service were top rate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014We were fortunate to get a reservation for 5 people on short notice Friday evening. I noted in the box on OpenTable that it was to be a birthday dinner. When we arrived at the restaurant a few minutes later the table had been sprinkled with confetti and a birthday card awaited. Dinner and service was great and without asking a birthday dessert with candles arrived. I've hosted and attended work events here before and have always been impressed with their easy going arrangements and service. Very nice and fairly priced wine list. Excellent food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Our waiter was very attentive and made the dining experience wonderful. The food was perfect. Cooked right and seasoned right.Special Features:
- A little disappointedBr0nxVill3BabyDined on 9/12/2014I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Chilean Sea Bass - cold, peice of metal in my slice of chocolate hazelnut cake, great service. I wouldn't go back.
- Very, very good...tankengineDined on 9/10/2014Been to The Capital Grille at the 42nd Street at least five times now and I am never disappointed with the quality of the steaks, the presentation of the various dishes, and the very attentive wait staff who really aim to please and never drop the ball. If I could afford it, I would dine there once a week and twice on Sundays as the saying goes...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harry3Dined on 9/8/2014Wonderful dining experience .... courteous, attentive staff ... service was excellent and I think that was the best meal I had in a few years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect birthday lunchAudreyVIPDined on 9/8/2014Lunch was great. Restaurant did everything for a birthday celebration with free bubbly decorated table and dessert. Also happy there for all occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/6/2014Always my favorite for a special occasion! Best waitstaff in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.