The Capital Grille - Minneapolis
801 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 6126929000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:00am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Crystal Morris
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Capital Grille will cater parties of 20 to 100 guests with outstanding food & service.
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact our Sales and Marketing Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Minneapolis
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in the heart of the Hennepin Theatre District.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Capital Grille - Minneapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
The Capital Grille - Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
261 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (212)notable wine list (148)romantic (147)fit for foodies (118)good for groups (66)great for lunch (37)hot spot (26)neighborhood gem (23)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (10)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- will returnboob2kDined on 9/27/2014Fabulous evening, wonderful food and Sandy our waitress made it feel as though we were at home with a personal chef who definitely knows how to cook a steak to perfection and we did not have to do any work or clean up. Truly romanticSpecial Features:
- Capitol Grille dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014I arranged a dinner for three out of town business visitors. The food was very good and they were happy. The pricing is a bit on the high side. I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleKathPerk11Dined on 9/21/2014Every time I eat at the Capital Grille I'm impressed and amazed. Each meal seems better than the last, and everyone that I've been with is beyond impressed as well. Their staff is so knowledgeable and friendly and the food is out of this world! Unique, yet approachable. And if you don't see something, just ask! They're likely to have it or be able to find it for you. Amazing.Special Features:
- Food wasn't worth the priceMNMomDined on 9/21/2014The service was very good. We had a mixed experience with the food on our visit. The steaks were absolutely outstanding. We had the filet and the tenderloin on the bone and both were excellent. I did not care for the wine reduction with the filet - and I like red wine. The French onion soup was bland and the caesar salads got panned. Flavorless dressing, the anchovies were not the smoked variety and were more like raw. The side of french beans and heirloom tomatoes also were not tasty. The desserts were fine. The cheesecake was a lighter, fluffier style, not a New York style (just FYI). Overall, for the price of the food, I would have expected perfection in flavors. Steak made it, but the rest did not.Special Features:
- A Reliable Go-toMexicanFoodLoverVIPDined on 9/19/2014I don't go to the Grille often, but when I do, I can always expect a wonderful experience. We went to celebrate a birthday. We told them, and we found tasteful birthday confetti waiting on the table, received a complementary bottle of bubbly for a celebratory toast, and a birthday dessert. Service here is impeccable. Servers are knowledgeable on on the menu and make very reliable recommendation for wine pairings. They have a reputation for being expensive, but are no more so than any quality steakhouse in town, and their service rivals most.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disapointed1703johnsonVIPDined on 9/18/2014Steaks were a little overcooked and service was a bit slow.Special Features:
- 1 of favorite MPLS restraurantsJimWVIPDined on 9/13/2014We have visited many times - food and service is one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent First TimeMrFancyPantsDined on 9/13/2014Went there for our 2nd wedding anniversary. Everything was superb: the service, the food, and the overall experience. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014We split appetizer( lobster in tempura with Siracha sauce ), salad, and 16 oz bone in filet ( blue cheese on top ), had 2 half bottles of wine ( one white and one red- perfect for the two of us ). We were absolutely full.Special Features:
- Anniversary Celebration!TrishVIPDined on 9/12/2014First time at the Capital Grill and we were definately be back. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary. What a pleasant surprise the champange, rose petals and fabulous desserts were . Thanks for making our night so specialSpecial Features:
- ScrumptiousMugsyVIPDined on 9/11/2014This was our first time here. We had the sliced filet. I am not a big meat eater but this was fantastic. It melted in our mouths. Service was outstanding. We were running a little late to get to the orpheum and our waitress calmly ensured that we got our meal without making us feel rushed. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Steaks/hungryhungryDined on 9/7/2014Our son and his wife gave us a gift card for Capital Grill to have a really good steak. My husband had the porterhouse which was very good. I had the fillet which was slightly overdone and no better or not as good as the fillet at other nice restaurants. We had the truffle fries which were very disappointing. The restaurant is very nice but also very noisy. We enjoyed our meal there, but it was too expensive not to have been more memorable.Special Features:
- Top ShelfBobgDined on 9/7/2014Everything was terrific. There is no better place for steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversay!!suriVIPDined on 9/6/2014I can't stop talking about the wonderful evening I had at this restaurant!! Food was Outstanding!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2014Capital Grill is our favorite dining option before a show or concert in Minneapolis. It is centrally located near all the performance and music venues. It is by far the best place to eat in the 3 block radius. The service is always great. The lobster specials: Lobster appetizer and the lobster soup were exceptional. Thank you. We will be back.Special Features:
- LauraDined on 9/4/2014Great place for a special dinner before attending a show at the State or Orpheum Theaters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestdiningoutVIPDined on 9/4/2014Our friends and we were celebrating our anniversaries. The evening and dinner at Capital Grille was amazing!!! From the champagne toast, to the incredible appetizer and dinner, and the dessert finale, it couldn't be any better. But then it was! As we were about to leave, we were each presented with a long stemmed red rose, that I am still enjoying! Our server Lynn was excellent, too. She made the evening relaxing but also managed everything perfectly, so we were on time for the musical. They even kept our leftovers and roses for us to pick up at the end of the show. This was our first visit to the Capital Grille and we looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Love the Cap GrillPaulVIPDined on 8/31/2014Wonderful palce with caring staff...ask for Sandy.Special Features:
- Anniversary Celebrationwalkek85Dined on 8/31/2014Came here for the 3rd time to celebrate our anniversary, and as always it was excellent! Table decorated with hearts, champagne toast, anniversary dessert and a rose to end the night. Excellent food and service. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend GetawayFoodandwineDined on 8/30/2014We really like to come back to the Capital Grille for special occasions. We were finally able to get there with our two sons and enjoy the great menu and the wonderful wine selection. The staff was very helpful and cognizant of our theater plans. The food came quickly yet we never felt rushed. A super experience whenever we go.Special Features:
- Always amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2014We went for the $25 dollar pour, an incredible deal!Special Features:
- Beef filet Oscar/lobster bisquePammy1916Dined on 8/28/2014Lobster bisque had more lobster than I have ever had and included sherry. Beef Filet Oscar was very generous with the crab and asparagusSpecial Features:
- Poor seating serviceAlabamaVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food was good. Service from our waiter was very good. The problem was the hostess seated my wife and I at a table directly in front of the kitchen. We asked to move. We were met with some attitude and told no at first because they were full. Then we were given a table that was on the end of a another table of 10 people. It was not a good dining experience because of the poor hostess service. We attended Manny's the following night and it was spectacular in every aspect.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 8/26/2014Excellent food & service. Was very pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/23/2014The food was fantastic but the server, Dylan, was even better. He REALLY knew his stuff and was engaging and professional. He deserves many kudos.Special Features:
- Always SuperbVANB1Dined on 8/22/2014Eating at Capital Grille is always a treat! Food, service, decor and cocktails - perfect every time. Our server was fun as well as attentive and we had a great evening pre-theater dinner.Special Features:
- Best food ever!TangieDined on 8/21/2014I took my daughter here for her 14th birthday.I'm a single mother from canada with not a lot of money, but I saved up. I was a little nervous of the treatment we would get being visibly from a lower class than most there, and my daughter with pink hair and piercings, but everyone was great! The staff were all welcoming, friendly and helpful. The food was soooo good, the best we have ever had, ever! I had the lobster topped steak, my daughter had the fillet mignon, both cooked to perfection. The potatoes au gratin were so so good too. The meal was finished with a complimentary birthday dessert, 2 actually, with happy birthday written in chocolate between them. Perfect dinner, leftovers for breakfast too lol. 100% going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FancygramVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food is consistently fabulous every time we dine here!Special Features:
- Perfection!CamilleDined on 8/21/2014Capital Grille never disappoints! Food, service and ambience are always of high quality and now they have added even more deliciousness with their lobster appetizer and shaved brussel sprout salad - both were excellelent. Capital Grille is always my first choice when dining downtown Mpls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lamb and wineIdahoSasquatchDined on 8/20/2014Service is always top notch at Capital Grill. They messed up our lobster appetizer, so they brought us 2 lobster appetizers! Our waiter was slammed but still able to take excellent care of us. This has become a favorite stop of mine whenever visiting the MSP area. Never have they disappointed me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/19/2014Food and service were great. Went for wedding anniversary and was not dissappointed. Table behind us was a little noisey but otherwise was excellet.Special Features:
- Never failsAfoodieDined on 8/19/2014Expensive, yes. Worth it? No question. This restaurant staff will make sure your vista is perfect and you are wowed both by the food and the service.Special Features:
- great experienceDoreDined on 8/18/2014Lauren and Hung are friendly, fun, attentive wait staff. Love the lavosh and lobster bisque. Hugh chunks of lobster in bisque, calamari crisp, risotto creamy good, scallops seared to perfection, desserts taste as good as they look. Our group comes every year for our joint birthday lunch celebration because we like the food (some keep ordering the same thing every year) and wait staff, and enjoy the special attention we receive. Relaxing, great food, filling.Special Features:
- Late night dinner after Twins gameCquickDined on 8/16/2014We orginally had dinner reservation around 7 for a Saturday night quiet dinner with friends. But we decided to go to the Twins baseball game. After the game we were really hunger so we made late reservations (10:30). So we drove downtown and went to the Capital Grille. We were not suprised because we had been told about the great food and service, the Grille was spot on. We were one of the few remaining diners at the restuarant, but the service did not miss a beat, and the food was fresh and delicious. The Capital Grille exceeded expectations. The price of the meal was as expected for the great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food + amazing service!Kmquinn06VIPDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I would consider ourselves foodies and love trying new foods and new restaurants. But when we feel like a great steak with the awesome classic "potato and vegetable" side, we always come here. There's just something about the Capital Grille that makes you feel so comfortable, yet feels like a fancy/special night out. We always request our favorite server, Teresa, when making reservations and she is always a gem to see and talk to. Capital Grille is just the perfect place for a special night out when you feel like your classic meat and potatoes and it's charming staff (especially Teresa). Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the lobster macout4dinnerDined on 8/15/2014No complaints from our party of 10. All food was fantastic, including lobster mac, shrimp appetizer, lobster bisque soup, scallops, all steaks were amazing (I had a filet special with blue cheese). It's a great place for a group to share many family style dishes. The service was great.Special Features:
- AnnivesaryBigDaddyVIPDined on 8/14/2014We went for our 38th anniversary. The staff were great, especially our server, Jeff, who took great care of us and made our celebration even better. The dry aged steak (32 day dry aged bone in fillet) was they best steak I have ever had. Every item we had was prepared very well and was delicious.Special Features:
- ExcellentBocazarVIPDined on 8/10/2014It is a wonderful restaurant to celebrate an anniversary. Excellent food and service.Special Features:
- PastorTheoDined on 8/9/2014Service was great, and food was unbelievable, had a fantastic time. Would recommend for a great night out with the wife, or a fun business lunch.Special Features:
- Loved Capital GrilleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014We celebrated a birthday at Capital Grille, absolutely everything was perfect. Decorations on the table, great suggestions on what to order and unbelievable food. We could not have been happier!!Special Features: