The Capital Grille - Minneapolis
801 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 6126929000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:00am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Crystal Morris
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Capital Grille will cater parties of 20 to 100 guests with outstanding food & service.
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact our Sales and Marketing Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Minneapolis
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in the heart of the Hennepin Theatre District.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Capital Grille - Minneapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
The Capital Grille - Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
274 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (226)notable wine list (160)romantic (150)fit for foodies (127)good for groups (69)great for lunch (36)hot spot (32)vibrant bar scene (24)neighborhood gem (22)late-night find (11)great for brunch (5)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- DeliciousSteveDined on 10/17/2014Great food and attentive service. Enjoy a couple drinks at the bar before dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the sameOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014The quality of the steak has digressed. The waiter was not attentive. The amount of side dishes to share were not generous.Special Features:
- Great steaks!!jlarsonDined on 10/15/2014We had a wonderful dinner of steaks, twice baked potatoes and great wine!! We were celebrating my birthday so they treated us to a surprise birthday dessert....that was also yummy!!Special Features:
- Classic SteakhouseChristinaVIPDined on 10/14/2014High end steakhouse. Expensive, but worth it. Steak was perfectly prepared, sides and salads were what we expected. Nothing avant garde or really unique, but it is most definitely a solid, high end steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- capital grillejimmyDined on 10/14/2014Had another fine meal at Capital Grille. I had the lamb and my wife Had a chicken dish as she avoids red meat. The service was exemplary as usual. Only disappointment was being seated in a small private room instead of the main dining room. No issues, but I prefer being seated in the primary dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th Wedding Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/14/2014My wife and I wanted to dine somewhere nice in honor of our 25th wedding anniversary. We had heard many good things about The Capital Grille but this was our first experience there. First of all, the service was excellent. We were about 10 minutes late for our reservation time, but this did not seem to throw them off in the least and there was no waiting to be shown to our table. Everyone, from the greeting at the door to the table busing staff, was very attentive and personable. Our waiter was not only professional but very helpful and friendly, the perfect combination for first-time diners. Food was splendid, and perhaps not a great value but this was not the intent for the evening. Would we go again? Yes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to its reviewslaughaholic07Dined on 10/10/2014My boyfriend works crazy hours, only getting a 3-day weekend once a month. When he does have a free weekend, we try to make the most of it by indulging in the best restaurants. This was our first time at Capital Grille and it did not disappoint. The best steaks that we have ever had. Our server was extremely knowledgeable and helped us through our menu options. We will definitely be back and will ask for the same server. Would recommend to anyone looking for a fancy night out!Special Features:
- The Capital GrilleBethDined on 10/10/2014We very much enjoyed our dinner at The Capital Grille. All the people we came in contact with were very professional. Our server was attentive, helpful and pleasant. He made the night especially nice with an amazing birthday treat!Special Features:
- Great Meal and ServiceLuv2gooutDined on 10/10/2014We were celebrating my birthday by going out to eat and to a play. The service was great. Lynn was awesome and was right there if we needed her and her choice for my main dish was spot on AMAZING!!! The people that sat next to us were crabby and kind of ruined the romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for our anniversary!WilburDined on 10/10/2014We celebrated our anniversary here recently. Although we were 20 minutes late for our reservation on a busy night, they held our table, which I'd specifically requested as a booth for two. The table linen was adorned with rose petals, and they served us a glass of complimentary celebratory champagne. Our waiter, Jeff, was incredibly patient and helpful with descriptions, with a lovely wine selection and with everything we needed. The food was, as you would expect here, sensational. My wife and I both had steak of course - she some tenderloin with lobster tales, me a Kona-rubbed sirloin on the bone. Everything was spectacular, from the doneness of the steak to the original brussels sprouts salad, to the beets.Special Features:
- Tom14VIPDined on 10/8/2014Awesome evening, great stop before the play. they were very accomadating on time issues to get us out in time to make our play.Special Features:
- Pre-show delightShowstoppersDined on 10/8/2014We really enjoy The Grille and are never disappointed. As usual, we sat in the wine room which is so cozy. The special salad with brussels sprouts was a real treat and too tasty to share. Our steaks were cooked to perfection. The wines we chose were a great complement to the meal. The dessert plate with a small chiffon topped cheesecake and small chocolate ganache cake paired with fruit created a smashing finale. Our server was pleasantly attentive and made sure we arrived at the show on time.Special Features:
- husbands BirthdayserenaDined on 10/6/2014We had .a great time like always, beautiful food, sweet lobster and killer steakSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local favrookiefoodieDined on 10/3/2014Go each year for anniversary or new years. Enjoy the succulent food. Little bummed this year that they didn't ask if we were celebrating a special occassion as we were (milestone anniversary) and there were 5 birthday celebrations around us. Still one of our favs and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Anniversary!11yrsDined on 10/2/2014We went to Capital Grille for our anniversary. I didn't book it as an anniversary dinner, but when we got there they asked if we were celebrating anything special...when we said our anniversary they really stepped it up! Pretty soon we had rose petals on the table, a complimentary glass of champagne and at the end of a wonderful dinner they also brought us an amazing dessert with "Happy Anniversary" written on it in chocolate! The service was impeccible and the food was amazing....2 thumbs way up!!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!!!LolaDined on 10/1/2014We were both celebrating birthdays and the staff at The Capital Grille could not have made us feel more special! The service was incredible, the food was scrumptious and we had a wonderful evening! We hope to celebrate all future birthdays at The Capital Grille!Special Features:
- Great service and foodFootballpourDined on 9/30/2014Porcini rub was awesome on the beef! Drinks were slow to start, but dessert was comped without asking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingtravelerDined on 9/29/2014Great Restaurant, the service and the server's knowledge was outstandingSpecial Features:
- will returnboob2kDined on 9/27/2014Fabulous evening, wonderful food and Sandy our waitress made it feel as though we were at home with a personal chef who definitely knows how to cook a steak to perfection and we did not have to do any work or clean up. Truly romanticSpecial Features:
- Capitol Grille dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014I arranged a dinner for three out of town business visitors. The food was very good and they were happy. The pricing is a bit on the high side. I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleKathPerk11Dined on 9/21/2014Every time I eat at the Capital Grille I'm impressed and amazed. Each meal seems better than the last, and everyone that I've been with is beyond impressed as well. Their staff is so knowledgeable and friendly and the food is out of this world! Unique, yet approachable. And if you don't see something, just ask! They're likely to have it or be able to find it for you. Amazing.Special Features:
- Food wasn't worth the priceMNMomDined on 9/21/2014The service was very good. We had a mixed experience with the food on our visit. The steaks were absolutely outstanding. We had the filet and the tenderloin on the bone and both were excellent. I did not care for the wine reduction with the filet - and I like red wine. The French onion soup was bland and the caesar salads got panned. Flavorless dressing, the anchovies were not the smoked variety and were more like raw. The side of french beans and heirloom tomatoes also were not tasty. The desserts were fine. The cheesecake was a lighter, fluffier style, not a New York style (just FYI). Overall, for the price of the food, I would have expected perfection in flavors. Steak made it, but the rest did not.Special Features:
- A Reliable Go-toMexicanFoodLoverVIPDined on 9/19/2014I don't go to the Grille often, but when I do, I can always expect a wonderful experience. We went to celebrate a birthday. We told them, and we found tasteful birthday confetti waiting on the table, received a complementary bottle of bubbly for a celebratory toast, and a birthday dessert. Service here is impeccable. Servers are knowledgeable on on the menu and make very reliable recommendation for wine pairings. They have a reputation for being expensive, but are no more so than any quality steakhouse in town, and their service rivals most.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disapointed1703johnsonVIPDined on 9/18/2014Steaks were a little overcooked and service was a bit slow.Special Features:
- 1 of favorite MPLS restraurantsJimWVIPDined on 9/13/2014We have visited many times - food and service is one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent First TimeMrFancyPantsDined on 9/13/2014Went there for our 2nd wedding anniversary. Everything was superb: the service, the food, and the overall experience. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014We split appetizer( lobster in tempura with Siracha sauce ), salad, and 16 oz bone in filet ( blue cheese on top ), had 2 half bottles of wine ( one white and one red- perfect for the two of us ). We were absolutely full.Special Features:
- Anniversary Celebration!TrishVIPDined on 9/12/2014First time at the Capital Grill and we were definately be back. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary. What a pleasant surprise the champange, rose petals and fabulous desserts were . Thanks for making our night so specialSpecial Features:
- ScrumptiousMugsyVIPDined on 9/11/2014This was our first time here. We had the sliced filet. I am not a big meat eater but this was fantastic. It melted in our mouths. Service was outstanding. We were running a little late to get to the orpheum and our waitress calmly ensured that we got our meal without making us feel rushed. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Steaks/hungryhungryDined on 9/7/2014Our son and his wife gave us a gift card for Capital Grill to have a really good steak. My husband had the porterhouse which was very good. I had the fillet which was slightly overdone and no better or not as good as the fillet at other nice restaurants. We had the truffle fries which were very disappointing. The restaurant is very nice but also very noisy. We enjoyed our meal there, but it was too expensive not to have been more memorable.Special Features:
- Top ShelfBobgDined on 9/7/2014Everything was terrific. There is no better place for steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversay!!suriVIPDined on 9/6/2014I can't stop talking about the wonderful evening I had at this restaurant!! Food was Outstanding!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2014Capital Grill is our favorite dining option before a show or concert in Minneapolis. It is centrally located near all the performance and music venues. It is by far the best place to eat in the 3 block radius. The service is always great. The lobster specials: Lobster appetizer and the lobster soup were exceptional. Thank you. We will be back.Special Features:
- LauraDined on 9/4/2014Great place for a special dinner before attending a show at the State or Orpheum Theaters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestdiningoutVIPDined on 9/4/2014Our friends and we were celebrating our anniversaries. The evening and dinner at Capital Grille was amazing!!! From the champagne toast, to the incredible appetizer and dinner, and the dessert finale, it couldn't be any better. But then it was! As we were about to leave, we were each presented with a long stemmed red rose, that I am still enjoying! Our server Lynn was excellent, too. She made the evening relaxing but also managed everything perfectly, so we were on time for the musical. They even kept our leftovers and roses for us to pick up at the end of the show. This was our first visit to the Capital Grille and we looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Love the Cap GrillPaulVIPDined on 8/31/2014Wonderful palce with caring staff...ask for Sandy.Special Features:
- Anniversary Celebrationwalkek85Dined on 8/31/2014Came here for the 3rd time to celebrate our anniversary, and as always it was excellent! Table decorated with hearts, champagne toast, anniversary dessert and a rose to end the night. Excellent food and service. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend GetawayFoodandwineDined on 8/30/2014We really like to come back to the Capital Grille for special occasions. We were finally able to get there with our two sons and enjoy the great menu and the wonderful wine selection. The staff was very helpful and cognizant of our theater plans. The food came quickly yet we never felt rushed. A super experience whenever we go.Special Features:
- Always amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2014We went for the $25 dollar pour, an incredible deal!Special Features:
- Beef filet Oscar/lobster bisquePammy1916Dined on 8/28/2014Lobster bisque had more lobster than I have ever had and included sherry. Beef Filet Oscar was very generous with the crab and asparagusSpecial Features: