The Capital Grille - Minneapolis
801 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 6126929000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:00am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Crystal Morris
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Capital Grille will cater parties of 20 to 100 guests with outstanding food & service.
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact our Sales and Marketing Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Minneapolis
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in the heart of the Hennepin Theatre District.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Capital Grille - Minneapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
The Capital Grille - Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
271 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (219)romantic (150)notable wine list (150)fit for foodies (119)good for groups (64)great for lunch (41)hot spot (24)vibrant bar scene (24)neighborhood gem (21)late-night find (10)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Love the Cap GrillPaulVIPDined on 8/31/2014Wonderful palce with caring staff...ask for Sandy.Special Features:
- Anniversary CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Came here for the 3rd time to celebrate our anniversary, and as always it was excellent! Table decorated with hearts, champagne toast, anniversary dessert and a rose to end the night. Excellent food and service. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend GetawayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We really like to come back to the Capital Grille for special occasions. We were finally able to get there with our two sons and enjoy the great menu and the wonderful wine selection. The staff was very helpful and cognizant of our theater plans. The food came quickly yet we never felt rushed. A super experience whenever we go.Special Features:
- Always amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2014We went for the $25 dollar pour, an incredible deal!Special Features:
- Beef filet Oscar/lobster bisquePammy1916Dined on 8/28/2014Lobster bisque had more lobster than I have ever had and included sherry. Beef Filet Oscar was very generous with the crab and asparagusSpecial Features:
- Poor seating serviceAlabamaVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food was good. Service from our waiter was very good. The problem was the hostess seated my wife and I at a table directly in front of the kitchen. We asked to move. We were met with some attitude and told no at first because they were full. Then we were given a table that was on the end of a another table of 10 people. It was not a good dining experience because of the poor hostess service. We attended Manny's the following night and it was spectacular in every aspect.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 8/26/2014Excellent food & service. Was very pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- Always SuperbVANB1Dined on 8/22/2014Eating at Capital Grille is always a treat! Food, service, decor and cocktails - perfect every time. Our server was fun as well as attentive and we had a great evening pre-theater dinner.Special Features:
- Best food ever!TangieDined on 8/21/2014I took my daughter here for her 14th birthday.I'm a single mother from canada with not a lot of money, but I saved up. I was a little nervous of the treatment we would get being visibly from a lower class than most there, and my daughter with pink hair and piercings, but everyone was great! The staff were all welcoming, friendly and helpful. The food was soooo good, the best we have ever had, ever! I had the lobster topped steak, my daughter had the fillet mignon, both cooked to perfection. The potatoes au gratin were so so good too. The meal was finished with a complimentary birthday dessert, 2 actually, with happy birthday written in chocolate between them. Perfect dinner, leftovers for breakfast too lol. 100% going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FancygramVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food is consistently fabulous every time we dine here!Special Features:
- Perfection!CamilleDined on 8/21/2014Capital Grille never disappoints! Food, service and ambience are always of high quality and now they have added even more deliciousness with their lobster appetizer and shaved brussel sprout salad - both were excellelent. Capital Grille is always my first choice when dining downtown Mpls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lamb and wineIdahoSasquatchDined on 8/20/2014Service is always top notch at Capital Grill. They messed up our lobster appetizer, so they brought us 2 lobster appetizers! Our waiter was slammed but still able to take excellent care of us. This has become a favorite stop of mine whenever visiting the MSP area. Never have they disappointed me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/19/2014Food and service were great. Went for wedding anniversary and was not dissappointed. Table behind us was a little noisey but otherwise was excellet.Special Features:
- Never failsAfoodieDined on 8/19/2014Expensive, yes. Worth it? No question. This restaurant staff will make sure your vista is perfect and you are wowed both by the food and the service.Special Features:
- great experienceDoreDined on 8/18/2014Lauren and Hung are friendly, fun, attentive wait staff. Love the lavosh and lobster bisque. Hugh chunks of lobster in bisque, calamari crisp, risotto creamy good, scallops seared to perfection, desserts taste as good as they look. Our group comes every year for our joint birthday lunch celebration because we like the food (some keep ordering the same thing every year) and wait staff, and enjoy the special attention we receive. Relaxing, great food, filling.Special Features:
- Late night dinner after Twins gameCquickDined on 8/16/2014We orginally had dinner reservation around 7 for a Saturday night quiet dinner with friends. But we decided to go to the Twins baseball game. After the game we were really hunger so we made late reservations (10:30). So we drove downtown and went to the Capital Grille. We were not suprised because we had been told about the great food and service, the Grille was spot on. We were one of the few remaining diners at the restuarant, but the service did not miss a beat, and the food was fresh and delicious. The Capital Grille exceeded expectations. The price of the meal was as expected for the great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food + amazing service!Kmquinn06VIPDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I would consider ourselves foodies and love trying new foods and new restaurants. But when we feel like a great steak with the awesome classic "potato and vegetable" side, we always come here. There's just something about the Capital Grille that makes you feel so comfortable, yet feels like a fancy/special night out. We always request our favorite server, Teresa, when making reservations and she is always a gem to see and talk to. Capital Grille is just the perfect place for a special night out when you feel like your classic meat and potatoes and it's charming staff (especially Teresa). Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the lobster macout4dinnerDined on 8/15/2014No complaints from our party of 10. All food was fantastic, including lobster mac, shrimp appetizer, lobster bisque soup, scallops, all steaks were amazing (I had a filet special with blue cheese). It's a great place for a group to share many family style dishes. The service was great.Special Features:
- AnnivesaryBigDaddyVIPDined on 8/14/2014We went for our 38th anniversary. The staff were great, especially our server, Jeff, who took great care of us and made our celebration even better. The dry aged steak (32 day dry aged bone in fillet) was they best steak I have ever had. Every item we had was prepared very well and was delicious.Special Features:
- ExcellentBocazarVIPDined on 8/10/2014It is a wonderful restaurant to celebrate an anniversary. Excellent food and service.Special Features:
- PastorTheoDined on 8/9/2014Service was great, and food was unbelievable, had a fantastic time. Would recommend for a great night out with the wife, or a fun business lunch.Special Features:
- Loved Capital GrilleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014We celebrated a birthday at Capital Grille, absolutely everything was perfect. Decorations on the table, great suggestions on what to order and unbelievable food. We could not have been happier!!Special Features:
- ExcellentAshleyDined on 8/3/2014From arrival to departure, The Capital Grille exceeded our expectations. Our service was flawless and the food was exceptional. Out of my four days in MN, the dinner at The Capital Grille was the highlight of the entire trip.Special Features:
- Unbelievable Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014We had a wonderful dinner. We started out with the prosciutto wrapped mozzarella. Then we split the tenderloin steak and butter poached lobster tail dinner with asparagus and mashed potatoes. Everything was perfectly cooked and very flavorful. They start you off with a wonderful bread basket and pat of fresh butter with salt sprinkled on it. We also split a half bottle of Pinot. What really made The Captial Grille stand apart was the OUTSTANDING service of our waitress. She was knowledgeable and incredibly attentive without hovering. I will ask for her again next time I book my reservations. I highly recommend this restaurant for your next special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2014Everything about the meal was outstanding. The martinis, the apps, the steaks, the sides, and the wine. The lobster Mac n cheese side was amazing. The server was very friendly and knowledgeable. The meals are pricey, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous AnniversaryJackieDined on 8/2/2014The Generous Pour was exactly that, don't skip it -- lovely wines and more than a "tasting". We were greeted with complimentary champagne and were also treated to a gorgeous dessert. Dinner was perfect. We've been before and have been impressed, but not this impressed. Thank you Capital Grille!Special Features:
- Rated 2nd or 3rd FavsunshinegirlDined on 8/2/2014The food was very, very good. However, we enjoyed our Filets at another top-rated steak restaurant in Mpls. better. We also like the atmosphere (quieter and romantic). In addition, our waiter was patient and we didn't feel rushed in any way at our top pick restaurant. It was extremely busy and loud in the isle by our booth at Capital - people running back and forth during our entire dinner. I am certain that we will stick with our fav steak restaurant for now - giving Capital Grille a 2nd or 3rd place for us.Special Features:
- Always SpecialscooterDined on 8/2/2014We dined at the Capital Grille before attending the McCartney concert. We had made reservations as soon as we got the concert tickets. It made a memorable evening even more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited 30 minutes & out of lobsterspeteVIPDined on 8/1/2014I made the reservation weeks in advance. We arrived on time and were told that our table wasn't ready. We waited 30 minutes in a crowded, loud bar area during this time. No offer of drinks, no waitress to even order drinks. I eventually went to the servers station at the bar to order drinks for our group. 10 minutes later we got our drinks - one was incorrect. We finally got to our table. Our usual waitress was there and she was excellent. If it had not been for her, it would have been a poor, 1 star, rating for Capital Grille. We ordered, only to find out that they were completely out of lobsters. The menu is limited enough; when you run out of a main dish, there's a problem. There was no apology, no comment, nothing. Not worth the $$$$.Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014We had a wonderful experience at Capital Grille. The restaurant was full and energetic, the server was professional and friendly, and the food was delicious! The Chilean Sea Bass was outstanding, and the lobster Mac 'N' Cheese was so good!Special Features:
- if not for stake, don't go!ThepickyoneDined on 7/28/2014I was there with a small group for a busienss dinner. Been there before and had stake. This time we decided for alternatives - salad, pasta, ice cream etc. Appetizers and foodt stellar. Seen much much better. So, if you don't plan to have steak, go to a different place. Ambiance is very nice though, elegant and stately. Great service.
- Outstanding as usual!DanSDined on 7/26/2014Another great experience at Capital Grille. The food was amazing with the standout being the filet...was the most flavorful filet I've ever tasted! Only miss with the food was the fried breaded lobster, which was great but seemed very overpriced for the serving size. The annual Generous Wine Pour was happening during our visit which is a great deal for wine lovers. I liked 4 of the 7 wines and loved 2 of them. The beauty of this event is you can sample all 7 wines and have unlimited refills of the ones you really like, all for $25...great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/26/2014I have been to Capital Grille many times and return because of the food and the service. I think they have the best customer service of any restaurant in the Twin Cities and I come back more often because of Sandy's great personal attention we get every time we com.Special Features:
- Capital GrilleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2014Excellent service and food. Very attentive to details!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumdottiebDined on 7/25/2014We went to The Capital Grill during Restaurant Week - 3 course dinner for $30. After upgrades, drinks, a dessert to go, and tip, we spent $175 for two of us. The porcini rub with balsamic reduction is fabulous! Well worth every penny!Special Features:
- Lunch experienceFoodieDined on 7/25/2014We had a sirloin, soup and salad. The sirloin was tasty and soup and salad was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capital GrilleAnibellDined on 7/25/2014What a wonderful dining experience. The Capital Burger was amazing and their homemade grapefruit soda was very refreshing.I would definitely recommend this place for lunch, dinner, or for drinks. I could see that the had quite a substantial wine selection.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week disappointmentsrvhim61Dined on 7/24/2014Never being to Capital Grille and hearing so many good things, my expectations were high. I think going during Restaurant Week was the issue as I feel the servers were over whelmed and not "serving" the guests as they may have. Our server Tom was poor, having very little personality, and not connecting with us at all. I stated that I was gluten and dairy free and felt confident that I would be served well until my salad came with cheese. The filet that I ordered was a "10' delicious, however the asparagus was pretty much raw. A restaurant of this caliber should have dished out way better service than we received - especially since it was Restaurant week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing... as always.JoeDoDined on 7/24/2014Capital Grill is a classic. Great for a lunch or dinner that requires a deal to get done or just catching up with a good buddy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014They sprinkled the tale with birthday confetti and wrote me a nice card. I felt special going for my birthday lunch with my co-workers. The food and service was excellent. We had never had lunch there before. We will be back!Special Features: