The Capital Grille - Minneapolis
801 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55402Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Minneapolis
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 6126929000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:00am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Crystal Morris
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Capital Grille will cater parties of 20 to 100 guests with outstanding food & service.
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact our Sales and Marketing Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Minneapolis
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in the heart of the Hennepin Theatre District.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Capital Grille - Minneapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
The Capital Grille - Minneapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
338 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (277)romantic (184)notable wine list (181)fit for foodies (150)good for groups (86)hot spot (41)great for lunch (39)vibrant bar scene (28)neighborhood gem (25)late-night find (18)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- OutstandingPoppoVIPDined on 10/29/2014The food and service were fabulous. Steaks came to the table at the perfect temperature. My water glass was filled every time I took a sip. The manager personally brought over dessert in honor of my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthdaybobob1916VIPDined on 10/27/2014Had a perfect birthday dinner. Thanks very much to our server Chris who helped make the night perfect.Special Features:
- Never fails to impressAfoodieDined on 10/27/2014This restaurant is a consistent winner. With service that is unexcelled--friendly, attentive and precise--the food is almost a secondary aspect. On the other hand, the food is phenomenal, always prepared to please. And just a dollop of chocolate to finish. Perfect.Special Features:
- AWESOME down to the last detailCookingkatieVIPDined on 10/26/2014This place NEVER disappoints. We went there for our 1st year wedding anniversary. When we arrived they have little hearts on the table and were going to give us complimentary Champagne. Neither one of us drink so our outstanding waiter- Shannon - ran around and got us ginger ale instead (bonus point). Our food was absolutely exceptional. We both were looking forward to having the Oscar filet but didn't see it on the menu. Shannon told us that if that was what we wanted she could get it for us (second bonus). It was exceptional!! Then out of no where she shows up with this amazing platter of desserts - complimentary (third bonus) The people are great and the food even better. We always go to Capital Grille for all our special occasions!!!Special Features:
- MicheleDined on 10/26/2014Meticulous attention to detail and needs of diners. Special recognition of event made this birthday all the more special.Special Features:
- Best Steakhouse in DowntowncitygirlVIPDined on 10/24/2014Capital Grille never disappoints: wonderful steaks, great service and affordable wines. They even offer complimentary valet service after 5:00 pm.Special Features:
- good food GREAT SERVICElovegoodfoodDined on 10/24/2014This place is just wonderful. This wasn't our first time there and definitely wont be our last. We both started with wine which was great. Their wine list is on an ipad with descriptions of all the wines. We both had salads which were good the caesar salad had good cheese on it. For entree's we both had the filet mignon. Mine was cooked medium and her's was medium well. My steak was so tender I was able to cut it effortlessly with a butter knife, it was also extremely moist. My girlfriend's steak was a little more tough and a little more dry. With that being said I highly recommend a medium or medium rare steak. The meals accompaniments were good. The service was the best. This restaurant should train other restaurants on serviceSpecial Features:
- The Capital Grille ExperienceChaNikkiDined on 10/24/2014Love the complimentary valet! We decided to try the restaurant week menu, and the dried aged steak with mashed potatoe and green bean sides was delicious. The dessert was really good too, very good cheese cake with the creme brûlée-like hard topping. We also had the flourless chocolate cake too, which was very rich in flavor and the fruit toppings balanced it out nicely. The mojitos and the "Adult Arnold Palmer" cocktails were just ok. After a decent dinner, one of the waiters bagged our leftovers to go and also refilled our eaten mashed potatoes which was very nice of them. Had a pleasant dinner there, would have to go back and try their lunch menu next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerMSPDINERDined on 10/22/2014Food was fantastic as always and the service impeccable. Best in the twin cities!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Service!AngelicKittenDined on 10/22/2014This was our first experience at The Capital Grille and it was outstanding! We participated in Restaurant Week, but were also celebrating our one year anniversary. They made the evening so special for us. The free valet parking was a treat, along with the table decorations, champagne and they Happy Anniversary written in chocolate on our dessert plate. They go above and beyond for service. The food was delicious too! Great place to celebrate that special occasion.Special Features:
- Great place to dine in MPLS.tbeltyDined on 10/22/2014Everything from start to finish was amazing. Highly recommend the Kona blend on steaks. Our waiter Michael did a wonderful job. Very professional and welcoming. Thank you!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/22/2014We had never been to the Capital Grille before and were thoroughly impressed. We went during Mpls/St. Paul restaurant week and found their menu fantastic!!! My husband and I ordered different things and both loved our meals! We will definitely dine there again and will recommend it to others!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Sirlion steak offered for Restaurant Week lunch special (Oct 2014) was outstanding! The cheesecake was de-lish too!!! Wish the portions were bigger. Couldn't get enough! :DSpecial Features:
- Top Notch in Every WayLPigDined on 10/21/2014Only second time here. Steak and Salmon were fantastic. Service that exceeds any expectations. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Fantastic MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014The meal was delicious, steaks were cooked to perfection, mashed potatoes were amazing. I would highly recommend this place. Wine list on the iPad was also a very nice touchSpecial Features:
- Amazing steakAmazDined on 10/21/2014Restaurant week is such a steal of a deal for great food at an affordable price. Always our favorite and we keep going back. Get the Kona crusted filet mignon; no regrets and the cheesecake is awesome with fresh berries. The flour less chocolate cake is pretty much pure chocolate and one bite and your done.Special Features:
- Fabulous night at Capital GrilleBuckarooDined on 10/21/2014Went for Restaurant Week and it could not have been better! Food-outstanding, service-fabulous and ambience just perfect. Our steaks were so tender and flavorful and done perfectfully. It was a special evening with my parents who were celebrating their 64th anniversary-just perfect!Special Features:
- My new favorite restaurant!!Dine2nightVIPDined on 10/21/2014Dined at The Capital Grille for restaurant week in July and October. Both times the service was outstanding, great food and excellent ambiance. Throughly enjoyed my times at this restaurant, highly recommend, although it is on the expensive side...Great for a special occasion and next to the State theater if you have tickets there, great place to dine before the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Was running 10 minutes late, but they still held our table for 2. Food is delish! Recommend to all and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Processed and saltyFifiFoodieVIPDined on 10/20/2014There during Restaurant Week visiting from Naples, FL. Menu was outstanding. I had the Restaurant Week special: salad, filet mignon, mashed potatoes, beans and cheese cake. Salad was drenched in very salty dressing, followed by the filet (done perfectly - medium rare), but with strong flavors of soy sauce and salt. The other items were good to great, but nothing could counteract the rough start. Our waiter disappeared, possibly because this special deal and my one glass of wine was not where he thought the tip money was. I am a petite friendly 60-year-old woman who looks far from the high-powered lawyer I recently was. But I have the capability to be a big tipper, and usually am, so big misjudgment, sir.Special Features:
- Wonderful DinnerTJMUVADined on 10/20/2014Great dinner...plan to go back again and again and again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- GiuliaGiuliaDined on 10/18/2014We were very disappointed with the food at The Capital Grille. We remembered the food being superb, and this time, the food quality was below expectations.Special Features:
- Flawless1funchickDined on 10/18/2014Everytime our family eats dinner here, it's perfect. The wine list is wonderful and the food is over the top delicious. It is a pricey restaurant, for a family of 5 with wine and cocktails..you're looking at $600+. However, if you're willing to spend some money, you will not be disappointed. The delmonico steak is so tasty, that you will dream about it :) The atmosphere is warm and cozy and a perfect spot for a special occasion. Thankyou Capital Grille, for being an outstanding find that we will continue to return to.Special Features:
- Excellent service and foodJOEROB35Dined on 10/18/2014We had a group of 5 and everyone ordered something different - the service and food was excellent-Special Features:
- Special Occasion DiningdswalDined on 10/18/2014The service at Capital Grille is very good and attentive... Food is great, too. Celebrating a birthday, they brought out a sample of flourless chocolate cake and creme brule cheesecake on a Happy Birthday plate, that was a nice touch! A note, my husband ordered a dry-aged bone-in Filet, $76, that really wasn't worth the money, the regular filet is just as good.Special Features:
- Theater rush, but...CurtVIPDined on 10/18/2014Excellent food and wonderful wine list as always. Delmonico ribeye remains my favorite. Sides were excellent. Brussel sprout special side is fantastic. We were there on a Saturday evening theater rush which might explain our server, although pleasant, being out of sorts. Perhaps understaffed, although it didn't appear so, we lost touch with him several times during the evening. He then charged us for a more expensive wine, which we caught, but then had to wait again for the revised bill. I still ended up with the wrong bill tally sheet, but the correct charge amount on my credit card slip. All in all, still a very nice evening.Special Features:
- DeliciousSteveDined on 10/17/2014Great food and attentive service. Enjoy a couple drinks at the bar before dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the sameFoodieDined on 10/16/2014The quality of the steak has digressed. The waiter was not attentive. The amount of side dishes to share were not generous.Special Features:
- work lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014The menu options are diverse, and I look forward to coming back again. 3 out of 4 of the group had the crab/lobster burger. There were large chunks of lobster and it was very good. This was a work lunch, and the only complaint was the end of the meal service, no follow-up for dessert or bringing the check timely as this was a work lunch and it had been mentioned.Special Features:
- Great steaks!!jlarsonDined on 10/15/2014We had a wonderful dinner of steaks, twice baked potatoes and great wine!! We were celebrating my birthday so they treated us to a surprise birthday dessert....that was also yummy!!Special Features:
- Classic SteakhouseChristinaVIPDined on 10/14/2014High end steakhouse. Expensive, but worth it. Steak was perfectly prepared, sides and salads were what we expected. Nothing avant garde or really unique, but it is most definitely a solid, high end steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- capital grillejimmyDined on 10/14/2014Had another fine meal at Capital Grille. I had the lamb and my wife Had a chicken dish as she avoids red meat. The service was exemplary as usual. Only disappointment was being seated in a small private room instead of the main dining room. No issues, but I prefer being seated in the primary dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th Wedding Anniversary DinnerTimmyDDined on 10/14/2014My wife and I wanted to dine somewhere nice in honor of our 25th wedding anniversary. We had heard many good things about The Capital Grille but this was our first experience there. First of all, the service was excellent. We were about 10 minutes late for our reservation time, but this did not seem to throw them off in the least and there was no waiting to be shown to our table. Everyone, from the greeting at the door to the table busing staff, was very attentive and personable. Our waiter was not only professional but very helpful and friendly, the perfect combination for first-time diners. Food was splendid, and perhaps not a great value but this was not the intent for the evening. Would we go again? Yes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to its reviewslaughaholic07Dined on 10/10/2014My boyfriend works crazy hours, only getting a 3-day weekend once a month. When he does have a free weekend, we try to make the most of it by indulging in the best restaurants. This was our first time at Capital Grille and it did not disappoint. The best steaks that we have ever had. Our server was extremely knowledgeable and helped us through our menu options. We will definitely be back and will ask for the same server. Would recommend to anyone looking for a fancy night out!Special Features:
- The Capital GrilleBethDined on 10/10/2014We very much enjoyed our dinner at The Capital Grille. All the people we came in contact with were very professional. Our server was attentive, helpful and pleasant. He made the night especially nice with an amazing birthday treat!Special Features:
- Great Meal and ServiceLuv2gooutDined on 10/10/2014We were celebrating my birthday by going out to eat and to a play. The service was great. Lynn was awesome and was right there if we needed her and her choice for my main dish was spot on AMAZING!!! The people that sat next to us were crabby and kind of ruined the romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for our anniversary!WilburDined on 10/10/2014We celebrated our anniversary here recently. Although we were 20 minutes late for our reservation on a busy night, they held our table, which I'd specifically requested as a booth for two. The table linen was adorned with rose petals, and they served us a glass of complimentary celebratory champagne. Our waiter, Jeff, was incredibly patient and helpful with descriptions, with a lovely wine selection and with everything we needed. The food was, as you would expect here, sensational. My wife and I both had steak of course - she some tenderloin with lobster tales, me a Kona-rubbed sirloin on the bone. Everything was spectacular, from the doneness of the steak to the original brussels sprouts salad, to the beets.Special Features:
- Tom14VIPDined on 10/8/2014Awesome evening, great stop before the play. they were very accomadating on time issues to get us out in time to make our play.Special Features:
- Pre-show delightShowstoppersDined on 10/8/2014We really enjoy The Grille and are never disappointed. As usual, we sat in the wine room which is so cozy. The special salad with brussels sprouts was a real treat and too tasty to share. Our steaks were cooked to perfection. The wines we chose were a great complement to the meal. The dessert plate with a small chiffon topped cheesecake and small chocolate ganache cake paired with fruit created a smashing finale. Our server was pleasantly attentive and made sure we arrived at the show on time.Special Features:
- husbands BirthdayserenaDined on 10/6/2014We had .a great time like always, beautiful food, sweet lobster and killer steakSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.