The Capital Grille - Kansas City
4740 Jefferson Street
Kansas City, MO 64112Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Kansas City
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: (816) 531-8345
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00 - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Livers
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today at 816.531.3288.
A word from The Capital Grille - Kansas City
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in the heart of the Country Club Plaza.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Capital Grille - Kansas City - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
The Capital Grille - Kansas City reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (112)romantic (70)notable wine list (68)fit for foodies (49)vibrant bar scene (38)good for groups (37)hot spot (26)great for lunch (23)neighborhood gem (17)great for brunch (9)late-night find (7)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- I proposed to herCorvettedaddyDined on 11/15/2014Back in 2002, I proposed to my wife at table two. Every year, we go back and celebrate this event at the same table, until 2010. In 2010, we had the worst service, the food was not cooked to our liking and they couldn't give us our table we requested. With this and other things going on in our lives, 2010 was the last time we went until this past Saturday Nov. 15, 2014, we thought we would try it again. We pulled up and was promptly met with the valet, he was quick to park our car. We were the first ones there as they'd just opened for the evening and were shown to our table. It was enjoyable sitting at the same table that I had proposed to my beautiful wife again. The wait staff was quick with getting us our drinks and the food was served promptly. We asked for more bread and butter and I enjoyed a cup of coffee at the end of our meal. As we left, we had to fight through a crowd of people standing in the doorway to get our coats that we had checked in. With that being said, we had a great time. Since we have changed the date we used to go every year, we might try changing our night out to the summer so the fight through the crowd is less evasive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceJohnDined on 11/13/2014The food was well worth the price. Hotel had notified them that it was our 40th Anniversary and the went the extra effort to help us celebrate it, and it seemed like every employee knew and wished us a Happy Anniversary. This was our first time at the Grille and the steaks were cooked to perfection. This will now be our place of choice for going our for Steak. Service here was also very good as they didn't bother you all the time like you get in some restaurants, but were very informative and freindly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuseVIPDined on 11/13/2014Great service and good food. Our birthday dessert was yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diner44Dined on 11/8/2014Everything was topnotch and the service was exceptional. Our waitress kept the drinks coming for my husband, and iyr water glasses were refilled when needed without having to ask. A very, very good experience!!! Would highly recommend for any special occasion, or just a pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- No Longer on My ListmoAbVIPDined on 11/4/2014Mediocre greeting on arrival (phones and computers seem more important than actual guests). Loud to very loud ambience which makes a productive conversation/business meal tough. The server was tactless, interrupting numerous times in an abrupt rude way. The interruptions included a circulating manager type as well which just added to the frustration of trying to do business. Got the impression they were focused on "the upsell", not the guests. The standard ahi tuna dish has been changed and now is a pedestrian dish with tuna cooked not so well. Not recommended and particularly given the prices. Very disapppointing. Will not be returning.
- Excellent MealrwestDined on 11/1/2014Could not have asked for a better experience from the service to the incredible food! Will be back soon. One of our favorite spots on the Plaza for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceSteakloverDined on 10/31/2014Always enjoy my experiences at capital grille. Look fwd to my next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceEd1234Dined on 10/24/2014We asked for a nice quiet table and we were very nicely accommodated. Doug, our server came to introduce himself and take drink orders. He then came back to tell us about the evening's specials. He is very knowledgable about the menu and the food preparation. Our steaks came and they were cooked to perfection. We both opted to have our steaks prepared "Pittsburg style" and they were spectacular! I had the 22oz prime special Delmonico and my wife had the 10oz filet. Manager Matt came by to ask how our meal was--a very nice touch! The evening was perfect!Special Features:
- Great B-Day Celebration!GaryKCDined on 10/13/2014I took my wife to Capital Grille for her birthday. We had reservations and were promptly seated upon arrival. Our server, Ashley, greeted us and offhandedly asked if we were celebrating any special occasions. The wine list was very extensive. We started by sharing shrimp cocktail. The shrimp were huge and the cocktail sauce was served with horseradish on the side (which we quickly added) - very tasty! I ordered a Kona Crusted Filet Mignon while my wife went for the Seared Tenderloin with Lobster Tail. Both were amazing dishes - cooked perfectly! Ashley was a terrific server - she anticipated our needs yet was minimally intrusive. She surprised us with a special Birthday dessert. It was a perfect evening!Special Features:
- Delicious!DACMDined on 10/11/2014Excellent!! Steaks were prepared perfectly. Everything was delicious from start to finish. Our server Brett was knowledgable and friendly. Best steakhouse in KC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicejjohnsonjrDined on 10/11/2014A little pricey, seem to cost more than what I'm used to in Las Vegas, but was very nice.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary Dinner!ShowmestateDined on 10/10/2014Food was wonderful and we had a great waitress (Celia)! Great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servicetoodarngood4Dined on 10/10/2014Thank you for an excellent dining experience. We love coming to the Capital Grill for special occasions, we never feel rushed and the food is delicious.Special Features:
- Another great mealthebigorangeVIPDined on 10/10/2014The Capital Grill consistently delivers a wonderful dining experience. The food, service and ambiance are all outstanding. The only downside is the noise level can elevate when the restaurant is full. We love to make reservations prior to the rush to enjoy a more peaceful experience. You pay for the experience but I highly recommend it for both lunch and dinner.Special Features:
- Lovely but over-pricedMarshaDined on 10/9/2014Attractive decor and good steaks, but quite over-priced. The service was good but almost too attentive with more conversation than we wanted from our waiter.Special Features:
- Best service in Kansas CityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Took my now Fiance' here for her 30th Bday and was proposing the same night so I wanted it to be perfect. I called ahead and they offered to be involved and gave several ideas on how to propose, I decided to wait and do it later at our hotel when just the two of us however their help and ideas were greatly appreciated. Let me start this by saying this is bar none the best service I have received at a restaurant in Kansas City Metro Area by a mile, I am not from Kansas City and have only lived here for 2 years but I have ate at many of the so called top restaurants in the city and none compare to service. Right in Line with top restaraunts in other cities I've lived Miami, New York Seattle and others. Most memorable night of our lifeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversarylttutorVIPDined on 10/3/2014This restaurant goes out of its way to help you celebrate.. Everyone recognizes the occasion and they are very generous with you. food is delicious and sumptuous. Thanks.Special Features:
- Capital GrilleJimmyVDined on 10/3/2014Went for anniversary and noted that in Open Table, then forgot I ha ever mentioned it. When we arrived our table had a rose and heart-shaped confetti and we were greeted by every single person with a "happy anniversary!". At the end of dinner we were greeted with a complimentary dessert tray and a our waitress took our picture, printed it out and gave us a little card to commemorate the night. Only negative was my wife's steak was incredibly dry and tough, but they comped it, tried to bring her other food, apologized literally 100 times (at a certain point it was almost annoying). Overall it was probably the most pampered dinner we have had since our honeymoon. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014i have never been disappointed by Capitol Grille. their service, food etc. are always terrific! i am a huge fan
- Amazing 1st Anniversary DinnerBennyADined on 9/28/2014My wife and I recently went to The Capital Grille to celebrate our first anniversary. Everything about the experience was phenomenal: the food, the service, the wine, the ambiance. The Capital Grille is my favorite restaurant in Kansas City, and we will definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- Poor service this time around.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014We have been to this location several times. Service was not up to par. It took a while to order our dinner. Drinks were dry several times. They put us in the walking isle which was distracting and right next to kitchen servers despite early reservation and open tables. I guess for a $600 meal I expect better service and a table not in the isle. Sides and salads were excellent. Steam was average! No flavor & oscar sauce was too thick. Nice kids meal for the boys. The Ipad for drinks is a hip idea but it was confusing on how to search for the wines. We left some earphones behind. They we nice to call us to pick it up. When we arrived they were very rude and said they didnt have it and made us describe it. 5 min later! Odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysDC13VIPDined on 9/25/2014Decided to celebrate being married to a wonderful woman and having a great month business wise. We got our favorite server Jevene and as always the service was better than outstanding and the food was awesome as always. We only go to Capital Grill once or twice a year for special occasions but it is so worth it.Special Features:
- It was a happening placeClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 9/25/2014my first time at this Capital Grille. I chose it because I wanted to get away from the crowd and downtown. No matter where you find a Cap Grill, it is always good food, drinks and service. Same here. I started with the spinach salad and decided to go fish tonight with the tuna choice. All good. Will be back on next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceJamieVIPDined on 9/20/2014Great time at a wonderful restaurant. The service was 1st class, the food was great. Nothing was overlooked.Special Features:
- The staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014I had my daughter and grand daughter with me, and the whole staff were extra nice to them and made them feel at home and provided a comfortable dining experience, and a memorable time for both of them. And the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EntertainmentEntertainmentVIPDined on 9/15/2014For appetizer try cold salmon, main meal steak and don't cheese cake for dessert.Special Features:
- GabyEatsVIPDined on 9/13/2014I love Capital Grill for the wonderful steaks and wine list - but we don't all need 10-20 oz steaks. The good news is that sharing is allowed! Sharing also lets you enjoy the appetizers or salads. But never room for dessert!Special Features:
- Attentive StaffMatthewDined on 9/11/2014We celebrated our 4th anniversary here. Our 1st time to Capital Grille. Our waiter, Richard, was very attentive and lead us professionally throughout the experience. We were most pleased. We will be back! Everything was delicious. Be sure to get a taste of the prosciutto wrapped mozzarella appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014Capital Grille always delivers. I usually avoid chains, but this place maintains such a high level of quality that stand alone restaurants struggle to compete.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014Tremendous service and excellent food. Expensive but allways worth it. For the first time I tried something other than steak. It was sushi grad tuna that was seared on the top and bottom but rare all the way through. The tuna by itself was excellent but the accompanying sauces enhanced the taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service everJax01Dined on 9/4/2014the whole evening was outstanding. The service was a +10 because of our waiter. I would recommend everyone ask for Eric Spoon to be their waiter. The steaks were delicious. the seafood was equally as good. HIGHLY recommend Capital GrilleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not a run of the mill steakhousewannabechefVIPDined on 9/3/2014the steaks are first rate and you could sell it on that alone. the other non-steak options are stellar as well.Special Features:
- TCWinventorDined on 8/30/2014Very good experience. I would call the Capital Grill a high end restaurant, with good food, great service, lots of choices on the menu, very good wine list, and knowledgeable servers. The bar was packed and very noisy. That really is not bothersome though, however the noise level in the dining room was to high. Perhaps adding some wall treatments that absorb sound would help. Overall a suburb dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Our server, Steve, treated us like royalty in the Boardroom private dining room. Of the five of us, two were celebrating birthdays and the Capital Grille made it quite the celebration. I'm ready to make my reservations for my next birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Our server, Joshua Jones, was exceptionally knowledgeable, friendly & helpful. Steaks were wonderfully delicious! It was a great dining experience but we were surprised restaurant was a little noisy. Although service was great, there was a lull at one point that no one was checking on us, however restaurant was quite busy. Definitely a great restaurant selection especially for a special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impressive foodmoetomDined on 8/27/2014As always, the food was impeccably delicious as was the service. We would have liked being a bit more private, the tables are a too close, and we would have prefer not to overhear business discussions. Even with that, we will still return for the great menu that is always consistently great. overhear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014The manager made our evening very special. I took my grandson for a special dinner before he left for the Marine's. They did a understanding job!!!!! I am sending the manager a special thank you and telling all my friends.Special Features:
- lovely lunchConcertVIPDined on 8/25/2014enjoyed lunch at Capital Grille with a friend. The scallops were the best and the coconut cream pie was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful time it was a special occasion, 37 years of marriage. The service was perfect and very friendly. We look forward to returning and dining again, soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out!Burke2Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I had a wonderful time at the Capital Grille! The food and wine were amazing, and the staff were very knowledgeable about the menu! It was great for the special occasion and worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.