The Capital Grille - Kansas City
4740 Jefferson Street
Kansas City, MO 64112Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Kansas City
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 8165318345x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00 - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew Livers
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today at 816.531.3288.
A word from The Capital Grille - Kansas City
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in the heart of the Country Club Plaza.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Capital Grille - Kansas City - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
The Capital Grille - Kansas City reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (118)notable wine list (78)romantic (71)fit for foodies (55)vibrant bar scene (41)good for groups (38)great for lunch (28)hot spot (25)neighborhood gem (22)great for brunch (11)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Poor service this time around.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014We have been to this location several times. Service was not up to par. It took a while to order our dinner. Drinks were dry several times. They put us in the walking isle which was distracting and right next to kitchen servers despite early reservation and open tables. I guess for a $600 meal I expect better service and a table not in the isle. Sides and salads were excellent. Steam was average! No flavor & oscar sauce was too thick. Nice kids meal for the boys. The Ipad for drinks is a hip idea but it was confusing on how to search for the wines. We left some earphones behind. They we nice to call us to pick it up. When we arrived they were very rude and said they didnt have it and made us describe it. 5 min later! Odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysDC13VIPDined on 9/25/2014Decided to celebrate being married to a wonderful woman and having a great month business wise. We got our favorite server Jevene and as always the service was better than outstanding and the food was awesome as always. We only go to Capital Grill once or twice a year for special occasions but it is so worth it.Special Features:
- It was a happening placeClevelandparkguruVIPDined on 9/25/2014my first time at this Capital Grille. I chose it because I wanted to get away from the crowd and downtown. No matter where you find a Cap Grill, it is always good food, drinks and service. Same here. I started with the spinach salad and decided to go fish tonight with the tuna choice. All good. Will be back on next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceJamieVIPDined on 9/20/2014Great time at a wonderful restaurant. The service was 1st class, the food was great. Nothing was overlooked.Special Features:
- The staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014I had my daughter and grand daughter with me, and the whole staff were extra nice to them and made them feel at home and provided a comfortable dining experience, and a memorable time for both of them. And the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EntertainmentEntertainmentDined on 9/15/2014For appetizer try cold salmon, main meal steak and don't cheese cake for dessert.Special Features:
- Attentive StaffMatthewDined on 9/11/2014We celebrated our 4th anniversary here. Our 1st time to Capital Grille. Our waiter, Richard, was very attentive and lead us professionally throughout the experience. We were most pleased. We will be back! Everything was delicious. Be sure to get a taste of the prosciutto wrapped mozzarella appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014Capital Grille always delivers. I usually avoid chains, but this place maintains such a high level of quality that stand alone restaurants struggle to compete.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014Tremendous service and excellent food. Expensive but allways worth it. For the first time I tried something other than steak. It was sushi grad tuna that was seared on the top and bottom but rare all the way through. The tuna by itself was excellent but the accompanying sauces enhanced the taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service everJax01Dined on 9/4/2014the whole evening was outstanding. The service was a +10 because of our waiter. I would recommend everyone ask for Eric Spoon to be their waiter. The steaks were delicious. the seafood was equally as good. HIGHLY recommend Capital GrilleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not a run of the mill steakhousewannabechefVIPDined on 9/3/2014the steaks are first rate and you could sell it on that alone. the other non-steak options are stellar as well.Special Features:
- TCWinventorDined on 8/30/2014Very good experience. I would call the Capital Grill a high end restaurant, with good food, great service, lots of choices on the menu, very good wine list, and knowledgeable servers. The bar was packed and very noisy. That really is not bothersome though, however the noise level in the dining room was to high. Perhaps adding some wall treatments that absorb sound would help. Overall a suburb dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Our server, Steve, treated us like royalty in the Boardroom private dining room. Of the five of us, two were celebrating birthdays and the Capital Grille made it quite the celebration. I'm ready to make my reservations for my next birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Our server, Joshua Jones, was exceptionally knowledgeable, friendly & helpful. Steaks were wonderfully delicious! It was a great dining experience but we were surprised restaurant was a little noisy. Although service was great, there was a lull at one point that no one was checking on us, however restaurant was quite busy. Definitely a great restaurant selection especially for a special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impressive foodmoetomDined on 8/27/2014As always, the food was impeccably delicious as was the service. We would have liked being a bit more private, the tables are a too close, and we would have prefer not to overhear business discussions. Even with that, we will still return for the great menu that is always consistently great. overhear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014The manager made our evening very special. I took my grandson for a special dinner before he left for the Marine's. They did a understanding job!!!!! I am sending the manager a special thank you and telling all my friends.Special Features:
- lovely lunchConcertVIPDined on 8/25/2014enjoyed lunch at Capital Grille with a friend. The scallops were the best and the coconut cream pie was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful time it was a special occasion, 37 years of marriage. The service was perfect and very friendly. We look forward to returning and dining again, soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out!Burke2Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I had a wonderful time at the Capital Grille! The food and wine were amazing, and the staff were very knowledgeable about the menu! It was great for the special occasion and worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pat-great steak placePatrickVIPDined on 8/21/2014Excellent as usual. I had the Delmonico with balsamic vinegar reduction. Steak was great, reduction too much. I scraped the reduction off because it overwhelmed the flavor of the steak. My mistake. I should have stuck with steak only. Other 2 people in the group got fillets and loved them. Au gratin potatoes very good side also. We had a very nice Franciscan Cab. All in all a very good experience.Special Features:
- Anniversary at Capital GrillePFO1Dined on 8/20/2014My wife and I had our anniversary dinner at Capital Grille last Wednesday. It could not have been better. From being greeted at the door with "Happy Anniversary" to wait staff also extending best wishes, to one of the best waitresses we have ever had (Terresa), to fantastic food, it was a night to remember. When red roses were delivered to a nearby table, we commented to (Laura) how beautiful they were. Shortly after, she came by with two long-stemmed red roses. Even the location of our table was perfect -- away from the bustling activity, but not overly secluded. How could a restaurant do any better than that. We would HIGHLY recommend Capital Grille for that special occasion.Special Features:
- Didn't disappoint!ToddDined on 8/19/2014What a great experience! I took three employees that were celebrating milestone anniversaries and people are still talking about how great it was. While the food was terrific, it was the attention of our server, Eric Spoon, that really made the outing spectacular. I highly recommend you request to be in his area if you are dining at Capital Grille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014The greatness of this place remains the attention that is paid to its patrons by a team of people.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food and WineOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Never disappoints with top notch food and wine. The Generous Pour is not to be missed when it comes around each year. The wine was outstanding for the price and food could not have been better.Special Features:
- Memorable experienceRSwaDined on 8/16/2014The Capital Grille delivered on the hype. The service was great, the ambience was beautiful, but in the end it was all about the food. Steaks. All four of us had the best steak we'd ever had. Truly extraordinary.Special Features:
- Great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Anniversary diner highlighted by a complementary rose and champagne toast. Wife was very happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveDined on 8/14/2014A great place to celebrate a friend's birthday. Staff was very attentive and made sure that we felt welcomeSpecial Features:
- A misstep or going downhill?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/13/2014Steaks, top notch. Sides, delicious. But what we expected from previous "love it" visits, particularly for calamari and chopped salad disappointed. Calamari not crisp--actually was dough-y with fewer "rings" and more tentacles. And the chopped salad was roughly chopped in larger pieces, so not crunchy, finely diced and rave-worthy as before. Still will go, but wished we ordered other items to make up for this drop in quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - Outstanding serviceBp01Dined on 8/10/2014Nice atmosphere, good food, outstanding service. The steaks were excellent but the broiled lobster tail was not the premium offering I was expecting. Fair at best and not on a par with the steaks. The highlight was the exceptional service provided by Eric Spoon. He went out of his way to insure the best possible dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner celebration.BirthdayeatsinKCDined on 8/10/2014Went there to celebrate birthdays of two out of town guests. One, my sister-n-law from Miami, Florida has traveled extensively and eaten at many of the finer restaurants, said The Capital Grille dinner ranked right up there with one of the best meals she has ever eaten while out.Special Features:
- Special OccasionRockeyDined on 8/10/2014Our first visit to the Capital Grille was to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary. Our server Jo Ellen could not have been more attentive and helpful in explaining the menu to us. We truly felt we were being honored. The food was good but not exceptional. By far the complementary Mac & cheese was the most tasteful thing we ate. This is a beautiful restaurant and a showpiece for Kansas City.Special Features:
- Outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014We really enjoyed celebrating our anniversary at Capital Grille. The service was outstanding. Every employee made us feel special. Of course, the food was excellent. The combination of food and service can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/7/2014Our server Celia was incredible the best I have ever had at any restaurant. Anticipated our needs and went above and beyond to make it the most outstanding lunch ever.
- Great night outOPHawkeyeDined on 8/5/2014Another fantastic meal at The Capital Grille! We were celebrating my wife's birthday and our first night out after the birth of our son. The service we received from the time we walked in was amazing. My steak was a little under cooked when it arrived which wasn't a big deal, it happens. What surprised me was that I had 3 separate people come up and apologize. They hold themselves to higher standard than any other place we've eaten. My wife was treated to a delicious birthday dessert plate and they threw in an ice cream trio as well. This is exactly why we continue to choose The Capital Grille for our special occasions.Special Features:
- Very Nice DinnerpirateDined on 8/2/2014The food and service were very good. I always forget how large the portions are here. Our waiter helped us tailor it somewhat, but we still over ordered. Nice Birthday Celebration.Special Features:
- MemorabletlynnDined on 7/31/2014We celebrated my mother's 80th birthday and could not have been treated with more kindness or attention!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Angle Eyes & I have a new favorite!AngeleyeseatsDined on 7/30/2014The wife and I stayed on the Plaza in June for our anniversary. We always loved Ruth's Chris but, it had closed. We were looking for a great steak. I had ask the owner of the local cigar shop where he recommended. He mentioned the Plaza III. I told him the last time we had eaten there we weren't impressed. Then he mentioned The Capital Grille. I'd heard of it but the name always reminded me of something like a lunch counter. That is the farthest thing from the truth. It was wonderful, so Angle Eyes and I went back on my birthday. It was still terrific! The Capital Grille is now our new most favorite restaurant in all of KC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!!PhillyBossDined on 7/25/2014It was our first visit to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We hd reservations for 8:30 and were seated by 8:35. The service and food were the best! Their Generous Pour program was GREAT! $25.00, seven wines....all you can drink, can't beat it! We will be going back and not just for a special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.SteakLoverVIPDined on 7/25/2014As usual, Capital Grille delivered a terrific evening. Everything was great for us and for our guests. Always a top choice.Special Features:
- Kansas City Gem!CyndiDined on 7/22/2014We recently scheduled a luncheon/meeting at the Capital Grille and our entire experience was nothing short of phenomenal! Our waiter, Steve C. was fantastic! He was attentive, professional and very efficient. We have dined at your restaurant on many occasions and have always had a memorable time. We highly recommend The Capital Grille, and if it's possible to request a table with Steve C., we'd do so in a heartbeat! Bill & Cyndi SeifertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.