The Capital Grille - Indianapolis
40 W. Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Indianapolis
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 3174238790x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am - 11:00am; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am – 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:30pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm –11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Troy Roberts
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Indianapolis
You are cordially invited to join us to experience relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business meeting, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our team has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located adjacent to The Conrad Hotel.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Capital Grille - Indianapolis - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
The Capital Grille - Indianapolis reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (89)notable wine list (63)romantic (55)fit for foodies (39)good for groups (30)great for lunch (22)vibrant bar scene (13)neighborhood gem (11)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (11)great for brunch (8)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Dont go before game for breakfastBigdaddyDined on 9/28/2014We arrived at 10:55 and were seated right away. We were given dinner menu's. After waiting 10 minutes for our server to arrive we asked about breakfast. We were told they had stop serving. This makes no sense since the resturant is located inside a hotel. After expressing disappointment. we asked for a lunch menu. After another 10 minute wait, our server returned with a lunch menu. Meal service seemed very slow. The food was fine, nothing epic. Service continued to be slow, even as we came to the end of our meal, we never saw our server and did not get refills on our drinks. They really missed the target. We will not return.
- Wonderful Evening In Indy!LollipopDined on 9/27/2014My college age son, husband, and I dined at The Capital Grille over my son's parent weekend and had a wonderful experience. Top notch service that was professional but not stuffy, incredible wine list, and delicious meal provided a great break from college fare for my son and a very pleasant evening for all of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed It!FromALDined on 9/27/2014Very nice dinner while in town for a Colts Game. Service was fabulous and they really pulled out all the stops as this was the first time we had a chance to celebrate the wife's birthday. Food was awesome - nice wine selection - we didn't want to get a full bottle this night so we both got a glass. They have some wonderful wines by the glass. That way both of us got what we wanted..... Thanks for a great evening.Special Features:
- Very GoodDinerDined on 9/27/2014As always we had a great experience! Never disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capital GrilleUkfanDined on 9/26/2014The best dining experience that my wife & I have ever had by far. The entire experience could not have been any better. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who is celebrating a special occasion b/c they will make it truly memorable.Special Features:
- botched supriseLastvisitDined on 9/23/2014I made reservations for 4 for a suprise for my husband. I told them it was his birthday and that he had no idea that we had another couple joining us. We were in town from St Louis and they live there and we had'nt seen them in 2 years. I specifically told them that when we arrived to say table for 2. I was assured that they would not ruin the suprise and have the table set for 2. We arrived and gave them the last name and the hostess said oh table for 4 you have guests joining you. Dead giveaway and suprise was lost. Secondly, we could never find our waiter. Very slow service. Food and wine was good service bad
- super duperhappycamperDined on 9/21/2014We had a delightful dining experience! It was my dad's 88th b-day and he loved the b-day card and the little candies decorating our table. Our waiter was the BEST! We were well taken care of, but not rushed. The food was yummy! Daddy received a b-day dessert, ample for the 4 of us to share. We also received a complimentary glass of bubbly at the end of our meal. We ALL will return to the Capital Grille. It was a fabulous way to celebrate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningHappyeaterDined on 9/20/2014We were in to celebrate our 15th anniversary and from the friendly Hostess to servers, wished us a happy anniversary. Our server was great and offered up some great ideas. Everyone was very attentive to our needs and allowed us a wonderful evening. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014Our first time to The Capital Grille and we will definitely return the next time we are in Indy!Special Features:
- AbbyVIPDined on 9/15/2014Very disappointed the filet I got came out cold!!! Very slow at getting seated!!! Didn't send it back because it would have made us late for the football game!!Special Features:
- Birthday GatheringOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We were attending a football game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Saturday 9/13/14 and were also celebrating my birthday. It was the perfect location for all of our family to meet then walk to the game. Our table was decorated with candy and also a card wishing me a Happy Birthday. We enjoyed the drinks and dinner and will come back when we are in Indianapolis again.Special Features:
- Capital GrilleMarloweDined on 9/13/2014Had a less than stellar dining experience. Waiter very attentive but charred over cooked steaks and fishy sea bass not acceptable especially at the prices charged.Special Features:
- Very Nice!DinningoutVIPDined on 9/11/2014Had a delightful meal for two. Good ambiance, food and service. You have to try the calamari, it is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWSOMEFoodie1Dined on 9/6/2014Took my wife for our 34th wedding Anniversary. Hearts on the table a card signed by the staff , and everyone that came to the table wished us Happy Anniversary. Great suggestions by Emily ShroyerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice EveningDrSteveDined on 8/31/2014We went to the Capital Grill on Saturday Evening, August 31, 2014 for our 17th wedding anniversary and my In-Laws 60th wedding anniversary. There were 7 of us, including my son, daughter-in-law and 7 year old grandson. My mother-in-law has a difficult time walking. When we arrived for our 7 PM reservations, they had our table completely in the back of the restaurant. When we told them she would not be able to walk that distance, they immediately got a table setup very close to the door in a smaller side room. There was no problem or hesitation with this change. Our meals were very good and prepared well. We had a wonderful evening and would recommend The Capital Grill in Indy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014The food was very good, but not fancy. The steak was excellent and cooked to perfection. The lobster bisque and salad was very enjoyable. I loved the salad dressing. There was nothing remarkable about the side of mashed potatoes and green beans. But the service was excellent. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the wines. We took advantage of the "Generous Pour" wine deal that they had going on and the waiter took the time to share what he knew about the wines and paired them with our courses. He even split our soup and salad for us as we were sharing them. We had a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Highly recommend this place!DollBabyDined on 8/31/2014We had a party of six and everyone was pleased with the service, the food and the ambiance! The server made some great recommendations and the 18oz bone in sirloin was "to die for"!Special Features:
- only okayfairies19Dined on 8/30/2014I could pay 30 dollars and have a great flavorful steak at Harry and Izzy's. My steak at Capital Grille lacked flavor. I had to send it back when i first received it because it had a burnt on the bottom. Thr next steak lacked flavor but it wasnt burnt! For the price i have to say that i was not impressed by the food. My hostess was great.Special Features:
- Great food, Great serviceluvthexperienceDined on 8/30/2014The food was superb and the service was excellent! I would definitely recommend Capital Grille!Special Features:
- Great Service - Great FoodBmo4VIPDined on 8/30/2014As always the food & service was fantastic, Plus we made a late change in our reservations from 6 people to 8 - There was not a table for 8 available for the time we wanted. I call and the manager spoke to me and said he would make it work - it would probably be tight. When we got there he was able to sit a party that originally had 8 but only 6 showed so we were able to sit at a table for 8. Thank you = BradSpecial Features:
- Great NightKG21VIPDined on 8/30/2014I dined here last Saturday, and it was top notch. The service was incredible, the food was prepared perfectly, and the atmosphere was very smooth. I would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!DonaldDined on 8/29/2014We came during devour downtown. The meal was wonderful and the waiter and the staff were attentive without being overbearing. I would recommend to anyone that wanted a nice comfortable atmosphere and great food.Special Features:
- Another fine dining experienceChefkenVIPDined on 8/29/2014Once again, we had a fine dining experience here. We mainly selected items from the promotional menu, but our wait staff made a good effort to let us know about upgrades to the regular items and options available for preparation. The service was timely and professional. The food was prepared well and was quite tasty. I would definitely recommend the restaurant to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RenaDined on 8/29/2014Our first time visiting Capital Grille and we found it to be an excellent dining experience. Our waiter, Scott, was wonderful. We will be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best I've had hereAvonbakerDined on 8/28/2014First I had to ask the waiter for the Devour Downtown menu and black napkin as it wasn't offered. My dining partner, I must say, loved her meal. Clam chowder, Cheeseburger with Parmesan Truffle Fries, and Flourless Chocolate Cake. Since I had dinner plans, I wanted to stay on the lighter side of the menu. I don't like Clam chowder and didn't want to have a salad followed by a salad, so opted out of the first course. The Chicken Caesar salad was just good, not outstanding. The chicken was moist but the salad itself seemed a little dry. The chocolate cake was very good. The waiter forgot that we had already ordered dessert from the DD menu and brought us a regular dessert menu. All in all, not what I expect from the Capital Grille.Special Features:
- Devour + Generous = GreatGaryFVIPDined on 8/26/2014You don't typically use "value" in relationship to Capital Grille.. however, the Devour Indy menu + the Generous Pour wine flight, this is an awesome meal for the $. I added the $3 porcini rub to my steak and was a happy camper. I did just 3 of the 7 wines... and they keep pouring until I was done drinking.... I have always had Capital Grille at the top of my list for the Devour Indy promotion...and it will remain there!!Special Features:
- Never DissappointedSaute4uVIPDined on 8/26/2014I always look forward to Spring and Summer for the Lobster Roll and Truffle Parm Fries. Excellent quality, excellent price, and sit at the bar as the service and bartender is always cheerful, informative, and fastSpecial Features:
- All around great experienceBethDined on 8/24/2014Great food, drinks, service, & atmosphere. Will keep this place in mind for special occassions in the future.Special Features:
- Fantastic ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014The Captial Grille does an excellent job of making a special occasion special. With that said, there's always a reason to dine here - the food is outstanding. My sirloin was as tender as my wife's filet and those potatoes were the best we've ever had. Don't skip the flourless chocolate cake - it's so delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacking . . .KimberlyDined on 8/23/2014I was left feeling completely underwhelmed by my dinner at Capital Grille. It had all the ingredients for a great night, but a lot of little things plus a bad waiter added up to a disappointing meal. There were several empty unbused tables which detracted from the decor, I was never offered a black napkin despite CG having them and wearing black pants, we had to ask for a cocktail menu. The biggest disappointment was our waiter. He never introduced himself; at first hardly spoke and just made gestures. It took over 20 minutes to get bread at the table. He always took the men's orders first and served them first also. He was clumsy with serving. Then halfway through the meal decided to start talking non-stop and linger at the table.Special Features:
- delicious, fun eveningallergictocrabVIPDined on 8/23/2014Very expensive drinks, but very enjoyable evening. Competent and amiable server serving delicious food.Special Features:
- Extra Generous PourPacerFanVIPDined on 8/23/2014Last Saturday my wife and I had an incredible experience before the Colts preseason game. Not only was it Devour Downtown with a specially priced 3 course menu but it was also their Generous Pour event. Our server couldn't have been better and the Generous Pour for only $25 per person was definitely worth the price. Cheers!Special Features:
- Awesome ExperienceAngieDined on 8/23/2014We went for a "date night" dinner. It was wonderful. Our waiter was experienced and knew a lot about wine. He was very helpful. Our food was simply amazing. I could cut my steak with a fork, it was that tender. The flavor was even better. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulfoodie4everDined on 8/22/2014The food is glorious and the wait staff are well trained, knowledgeable and fun to talk with over the course of a meal. We took advantage of the Devour Indy program and added extras - a poached lobster tail to the main entree and an extra fresh fruit dessert. Wines were excellent and our waiter very nice. Known for steaks with a KONA rub (yum!) and for having Maine lobster on the menu, this is one of our favorite places to celebrate life, love and being foodies.Special Features:
- Great dinnerDrdanDined on 8/22/2014One of my most favorite places for dinner in indianapolisSpecial Features:
- Great PlaceMerzDined on 8/21/2014We had a fantastic dinner and outstanding service. The beef fillet was seasoned and cooked perfectly. The mashed potatoes were among the best I've had, a very close second to Bobby Flay's potatoes at Mesa Grill. This is a very well run restaurant and it shows.Special Features:
- Wonderful!MmindianaDined on 8/21/2014We have eaten at the Capital Grille on multiple occasions but this dinner was by far the best. The food was perfectly prepared and presented. The experience was made perfect by our waiter - Harry. We will always ask for him from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EagleVIPDined on 8/16/2014Outstanding food. Service was slow at best. 2 plus hours for dinner was a little long.Special Features:
- Worth the priceDiningOutDined on 8/15/2014All the dishes were of highest quality. Waiters were attentive but not pushy; allowed us to enjoy an excellent meal and a good long visit with a friend. Price is out of the "let's go here every week" range (for me anyway), but quality, flavor, preparation, and presentation of the food matched the price. (As a side item, I highly recommend the lobster/mac & cheese!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Most Memorable DinnerTaggsDined on 8/14/2014One of the best meals I've ever had. Truly wowed my groyp of five.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.