The Capital Grille - Hartford
44 Front Street
For GPS use 99 Columbus Blvd
Hartford, CT 06103Neighborhood:
Hartford / West Hartford
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Hartford
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 8602440075x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 3:00 pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Sebastiao Pignaton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Capital Grille - Hartford
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 3,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you"ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their "Achievement of Excellence Award." Whether you"re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with - a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Capital Grille - Hartford - Best Restaurants in Hartford / West Hartford ›
The Capital Grille - Hartford reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (101)notable wine list (77)romantic (63)fit for foodies (55)good for groups (37)vibrant bar scene (26)hot spot (23)great for lunch (22)great for outdoor dining (15)neighborhood gem (14)late-night find (10)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- ExcellentHikerTravelerDined on 8/23/2014Delicious steaks, extensive wine list, excellent service.......a bit pricey, but the quality shows. I do not mind paying for excellence if that is what I get. It irks me when you pay top dollar and get a run of the mill meal. This is quality. A small "points off" for the dining lighting. It is kept at a very low setting. Nice for romance, but it could have been just a bit brighter. Had to break out my cheaters to read the menu :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals I ever had!NDinCTDined on 8/9/2014Food is outstanding. Expensive, but you get what you pay for! Superb wine selection and awesome service. Overall, one of the best dine out experiences I've ever had. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food. Better servicePrecisionDined on 8/4/2014I visited the Hartford location for an impromptu lunch. The level of service I experienced was the best that I've encountered out of any restaurant. Very attentive waiters, waitresses, and management. The food was great also. I enjoyed the the complimentary seeded bread and cracker, the clam chowder, and the dry aged sirloin. The sirloin was very juicy but it was the cracked pepper that made it outstanding. Very flavorful and fresh. But dessert took the cake (pardon the pun)! The flourless chocolate espresso cake was very small so I didn't expect much of it, but wow! Dense and bursting with flavor, it was downright amazing. Overall, my first experience at The Capital Grille was very memorable and enjoyable! I shall return...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingLorrieinBoltonDined on 8/3/2014Not impressed with Ruth Chris on the Berlin Turnpike. Love the Shrimp Alexander at Morton's in downtown Hartford. But Capital Grille is where it's at. Their beef truly is exceptional. And the flourless chocolate espresso cake is fabulous. Their Taste of Hartford menu was a great bargain. My only quibble is that my Caesar salad was so lightly dressed as to be virtually tasteless. Fortunately our server asked how the salad was and was quick to dash to the kitchen and get dressing. Did I mention the bread assortment? Very tempting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- debbieful10Dined on 8/2/2014Of all the top-level steakhouses in the Hartford area, this is the best. The service is excellent from the moment they valet-park your car (free), the food is top-notch and the ambience is wonderful. Best of all, it is not one of those steakhouses where the waiter feels compelled to spend five minutes instructing you on the menu, what you should like and how you should have it cooked. It's all about classy customer service, without the snootiness. They also have a very nice bar with plenty of high-top tables you can hang or eat at. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Went to Capital Grille in Hartford for our 7 year anniversary and had a fantastic experience. The food was delicious, the waiter was very knowledgeable and personable (a Veteran too!), and we were never rushed through dinner. Also, we enjoyed the wine tasting which included 3 whites, 4 reds, and a surprise port wine for dessert. The wine tasting was for a limited time only and we're glad we tried it. Overall, a very memorable experience.Special Features:
- noelorrDined on 8/2/2014Our waiter David was excellent and attentive. I did not care for my salad and they took it off the bill.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in HartfordJohnVIPDined on 8/1/2014The capital Grille is one of my favorites. So glad that they opened one in Hartford. This one is just as good as every other one I have been to in big cities. And, what a treat to be able to get a steal during restaurant week in Hartford. Erin the server was amazing!!!Special Features:
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Absolutely loved the food, overall experience, and atmosphere. Service was great and everyone from the hostess station to servers to runners treated my table great. I would def come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!LesleyGDined on 8/1/2014Called after I made the initial reservation to tell them it was our wedding anniversary. Greeted with "Congratulations" by many staff members. Table had rose petals on it and 2 glasses of champagne for us. Service was exceptional. It was Restaurant Week so we had a fabulous dinner and participated in the Generous Pour tastings too. We had been here before but just for apps and drinks. Would highly recommend. Thanks everyone for making it such a special night.Special Features:
- Excellent DiningfantasticDined on 7/31/2014We visited Capital Grille as part of Hartford's Restaurant Week (although we have been there several times before for special occasions). We were not disappointed. The selection was excellent and more than ample, with various entrees for all. Service was excellent and we especially like restaurants where your meal is served when ready and hot, not just when your server can pick up. We will continue to go back when we are celebrating special events.Special Features:
- AmazingGarciaDined on 7/30/2014I had a wonderful experience. We were celebrating our 9 year anniversary and they treated us amazing. They put hearts on the table and had an envelope with Happy Anniversary! The food was delicious, it was a perfect nite. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but VERY noisy!!BABS49Dined on 7/30/20146 of us went for Taste of Hartford and while the food was very good, the noise level was so loud conversation was next to impossible. We had to shout at each other just to be heard at the same table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/29/2014I was very excited to see that Capital Grille participated in restaurant week; otherwise I may not have tried it.Special Features:
- Ever reliable!OldGnarlyDudeDined on 7/29/2014Capital Grille maintains an excellent standard across the restaurants that carry their name. This one is Hartford Downtown was exceptional. A new property, it feels fresh and vibrant and the bar out front is great too if you have to you have to wait to be seated. Always great for business meetings.Special Features:
- chefieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014This restaurant provided delicious food and high caliber service from all of their staff, our server Alex was very knowledgeable on both the menu and the wine list. Lovely atmosphere and both the beverage manager and owner stopped by to ensure a good experience in their restaurant.Special Features:
- OverratedShortGirlDined on 7/28/2014There was so much buzz about it that I had to try it. The food was average - if going by price, sub-par. Caesar salad - i've had much better. The filet was quite tender...but at these prices, i've also had better. My companion's aged sirloin was full of gristle. The mashed potatoes a bit on the gluey side. The best part of the meal was the cheesecake. Outstanding. i've had the opportunity to sample the lobster mac 'n cheese at an event. For that particular item, it's worth the trip. The beef - not so much. The atmosphere lovely, the servicemoutstanding. But the place felt pretentious.Special Features:
- The steak was perfectionrunner19Dined on 7/27/2014Service was wonderful our waiter treated us like family ,the food was pretty good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for date nightNewtoHartfordDined on 7/26/2014Took my girlfriend here Saturday, both of our firsts at a Capital Grille and it did not disappoint. Food was excellent, service was superb and the atmosphere is exactly what I had hoped for. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capital GrilleJCorDined on 7/26/2014I can't say enough about the food and service here. Each dish was better than the last and the $25 wine special they have going is a great deal! Service- Alex was our server for the evening and he couldn't have been better. He was friendly, fun and incredibly knowledgeable about the menu. He offered many suggestions for improving our meal and was by far the best server I've had in a long time. The managing partner, Joseph was friendly and welcoming. He was consistently ensuring we were well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining restaurantMarieDined on 7/26/2014This is my second time dining there and I was as impressed the second time as the first. Excellent place if you want to feel special. The service is above expectation. The food is above excellent. We were a party of 6 and everyone one of us were very pleased with our meals. We took advantage of the Taste of Hartford offer and we thought our portions and selection would be smaller than regular menu, but we were very pleased with the quality and the portions. Can't say enough good things about this restaurant. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- great night outyumkcDined on 7/26/2014tried it for taste of hartford. service was excellent. staff were very attentive without being overbearing. food was good too especially the mashed potatoes and dessert. will go again to try other items on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeborahDined on 7/26/2014Capital Grille in Hartford was a lovely and reliably excellent dining experience especially for a quality and well prepared steak. The service was wonderful from start to finish. I would go back in an instantSpecial Features:
- A+ShikkiDined on 7/26/2014This is an excellent addition to downtown Hartford. Wonderful ambiance, excellence service, amazing food.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceLoriDined on 7/24/2014The service at Capital Grille was impeccable. Our waiter and other staff were alway there anticipating what our needs might be. The food was vary good. Most importantly, it was brought out hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A truly special experienceTollandguyDined on 7/24/2014We recently celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary at the Hartford Capital Grille. It is a fantastic spot for a special occasions. There's valet or close garage parking. The bar area is comfy with great service. We had the crab and lobster cake appetizer, wedge salad, filet mignons, augratin potatoes, garlic spinach and creme brule. Our server Marissa was fabulous and recommended a fantastic Tikal Malbec wine. We are looking forward to returning. Its pricey but a good value for the overall quality of the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All CAPITALS!!!RuvainnDined on 7/24/2014Six of us went for the Taste Of Hartford lunch special and was worth every penny. The place is gorgeous and the food was also. We all agreed we will come back again--Excellent!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceHiloboyDined on 7/23/2014The food was excellent, service superb, and ambiance outstanding.Special Features:
- Very nice place.WisteriaDined on 7/16/2014I work around the corner from Capital Grille and we do a lot of work functions there and are extremely happy with the establishment. The restaurant is a little pricey for the average "joe" but it's a nice place to treat yourself if you aren't able to do pricey restaurants often.Special Features:
- Generous Pour a great eventFoodieVIPDined on 7/11/2014We have been to the Generou Pour at Capital Grille before, but liked more wines this time. The food was terrific as was our server (Ian). His recommendations were spot on..............the Carpaccio was the best we4 had every had.............and the steaks were cooked perfectly and the pace of dinner was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- led555VIPDined on 7/8/2014As it was my fiance's birthday, I called ahead to notify the restaurant. They had a special table waiting, beautifully decorated for a birthday celebration along with a card. In addition, once dessert was served, the waitress, Marisa Belgrave, took a picture with the restaurant's camera and printed it out for us. Perhaps this is normal for Capital Grille and if so, what incredible customer service, but it just made the evening more special for us. As always, the food was superior and service beyond compare. Thank you everyone for a wonderful evening.
- Great steak great serviceHappyDIner1Dined on 6/27/2014Capital grill always gives great service and the steaks are excellent. It is pricey but makes am aoccassion special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tobydonDined on 6/26/2014We found the food and service to be very good. I would definitely recommend the Capitol Grill Hartford for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flowerDined on 6/26/2014The service is very attentive. The staff wants to make certain that your dining experience is favorable. It is a place that is great for business entertaining and special occasions. Expect to pay high prices for your dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional serviceLinda625Dined on 6/25/2014The food and the service are excellent at Hartford's Capital Grille. Our server was able to make recommendations and answer questions and the food was just as she described. The Tenderloin Cobb Salad was exceptional and the burger menu makes for difficult choices. This is a really great addition to the Hartford restaurant scene. Will try the outdoor dining next time. The bar, which was empty at lunchtime, looks like it would be a great place for after work cocktails. The interior of the restuSpecial Features:
- Consistent Service and FoodfirstgirlDined on 6/21/2014I have been to The Capital Grille around 5 times now and will always come back. The food and service remain consistent which is a must for a restaurant these days to stay in business. Dinner is a relaxing atmosphere, nice music in the background and our server is always asking if we are ok. Try the Lobster Mac and Cheese. It is excellent as well as the creamed corn as your side dishes. We always go for the specials. Desserts are delicious too. Try the cheesecake. It looks like Crème Brulee but tastes even better. Good company, good wine and good food. I've heard lunch is fantastic too. I hope to try that soon.Special Features:
- Top notchRobertPBodisDined on 6/21/2014Highly recommend this establishment for a fine dining experience. Have been to several similar restaurants in the Hartford downtown area and the Capital Grille stands head and shoulders against the competition. The differentiating factor was the level of customer focus that each member of the team displayed regardless if it was the hostess, the bar team, or the wait staff. Friendly, courteous, and seemed to be genuinely happy providing such a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenceRATCADined on 6/10/2014First visit to the Hartford location...I've been to three others in NYC and Chicago and Denver. This facility is on par with expectations. The decor was classy, the service was excellent and the food was very well prepared and displayed nicely. Ordered two drinks from the bar and both were excellent. Portions were more than adequate. Will revisit this restaurant regularly.Special Features:
- BillymoVIPDined on 6/8/2014Consistant. Good food prepared as ordered. Good wine list.
- glazedonutVIPDined on 5/31/2014My husband and I have been to many Capital Grill's before and even this particular one. I must say there are better restaurants around for the money, as others have said. It does have numerous fine wines and ambience is quite nice, however, food is just not " up to par" especially, for the price. We shared 2 entree's, , one was a special, stuffed sole, which was a bit dry and tiny portion, although 2 separate pieces, yet, nothing special and the other entree we ordered was steak.. again, not great, given all the options with other great restaurants around downtown and areas like West Hartford center for similiar food options and much less money. Been to the RI Capital many times and always found food much better.Special Features: