The Capital Grille - Denver
1450 Larimer Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Denver
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: (303) 539-2500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:00am – 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Larry Bergstein
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Denver
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Capital Grille - Denver - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
The Capital Grille - Denver reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (158)notable wine list (110)fit for foodies (86)romantic (83)good for groups (56)hot spot (53)vibrant bar scene (43)great for lunch (31)neighborhood gem (23)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Not the same as HoustonI812VIPDined on 11/22/2014I've never seen such a small restaurant so overly packed. I believe a restaurant should take reservations walk-in customers according to table turnover rates. Capital was clearly in over their head since our 7:30 reservation was pushed 20 minutes. If I wanted to be seated @ 7:50 I would have made a 7:50 reservation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014We had a wonderful birthday dinner for my husband - confetti on the table when we arrived set the tone for the fun evening. Chris was perfect as our waiter and the food was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before Opera DinnerZeldaDined on 11/21/2014Friendly service, knowledgeable about the menus, prompt without being overly attentive. Food was fantastic! Steak all around! Loved the Steak au Poivre. Will order it again. Butternut Squash Soup and in-house, homemade mozzarella for caprese salad were stand-outs! Nice city experience. Walking onto Larimer Square at night makes for a magical evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite RestaurantCarolVIPDined on 11/21/2014The Capital Grille almost never disappoints. This weekend was not exception. Perfection, from the Shrimp Cocktail to the Key Lime Pie. All is good--steaks, scallops, specials. We love it here! Just know that a meal with wine is going to set you back quite a few $$'s.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Denver Top 10CapnColaTimDined on 11/13/2014The Cap Grille is consistently superior in terms of food quality, people watching and service. It is what I'm looking for when guests are in town or I want to treat somebody special to a romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Feel SpecialMkferrariDined on 11/9/2014We typically plan a nice dinner prior to seeing shows at the Denver Center for Performing Arts. The Capitol Grille never fails to provide a wonderful atmosphere, excellent service and tremendous food. Although we like to visit other local restaurants while downtown, dining at the Capitol Grille is always a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience.IvetteDined on 11/8/2014Had a fantastic dinner! One of the best resturants in Denver. Amazing quality with the best service. Love the ambience. Great for a special occasion or any time you want to splurge. We had the filet topped with blue cheese, the sea bass and their delicious lobster Mac, au gratin potatoes, and the Brussel sprouts with bacon. We enjoyed a nice bottle of wine. Our waiter Bill was a pro. Will be making the capital grille one of my go to places for a great meal. Will have to try the chilled seafood platter next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made Special Occassion Amazing!Food4funDined on 11/8/2014This was for my son's 24th birthday; when we arrived they had b-day confetti and a b-day card on the table for him. My other son joined us; the three of us felt very cared for. The food was over the top amazing. High quality food, service, ambience . . . The noise level is a little loud, but that's because everyone is having a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great except for the 2 Filet'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/8/2014Let me start out by saying the service from Mark and Bill was excellent. My wife and I split an app, salad and side dishes, they were all right on the mark for the quality, freshness and taste that the Cap Grille normally provides. We also had a fantastic bottle of Zinfandel. Unfortunately the 2 steaks we ordered really missed the mark this time. We ordered one bone-in filet and a special filet that was served with an interesting composition of sauteed fruit with foie gras on top. Both steaks came to the table barely warm. I do realize certain steaks are rested prior to serving but these were rested way too long before presenting to the table, On the plus side, the steaks were cooked to the correct temp (Med Rare). We should have said something while at the restaurant but we were on a time constraint because we had theatre tickets. Though we were disappointed, we will probably return to give them another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical but NOISYOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/5/2014Steaks were perfect, scallops had by two were NOT. Should have been pan seared?? All sides and desserts were typical of a Grille. The place was packed and VERY noisy but a great place to see and be seen. Drinks and service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014Our server, Chris (I believe that was his name) was extremely knowledgeable and kind. He was a wonderful server and his timing was impeccable. The surf and turf had amazing crab, precracked, and the steak was cooked perfect! Overall great experience. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazingfoodie2bsoonDined on 11/2/2014Where to begin, the calamari and crab cakes were fabulous. The filet was the best steak I have EVER had and finishing off with the chocolate cake was truly a treat. The service was impeccable. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really? at these prices?MDB1VIPDined on 11/1/2014spent $250 (inlcuding tip) for two. We had 2 drinks 2 entress and split a salad. Salad special sounded great but the pecans were mushy and there were 3 tiny slivers of pear shavings, the sea bass was not cooked all the way. By the way when did we start eating fish rare to med rare? Once I sent it back it tasted good but was so rare at first I couldn't cut it with a knife. Steak was undercooked but tasted good, once again when did we start getting a a rare steak when we order med rare???? I guess they would rather bring it up a temp rather than over cook.....wont go back it's just way too expensive for what you get, which is a frigin piece of meat that costs a lot of money, lots of other exiting places to go for half the price
- Wonderful, as alwaysProfmccVIPDined on 11/1/2014Capital Grille has always been perfection in every way and this visit for dinner on a Saturday night was no exception. We were greeted warmly, and our server, John, was knowledgeably, prompt, and personable. Filet and lamb chops were cooked exactly as requested and were delicious. A great experience.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentArlandoVIPDined on 10/31/2014In Denver for an exceptional dinner the Capital Grille continues to be an excellent choice. For appetizers we did 1/2 crab-lobster cakes and 1/2 steak tartar. A cup of lobster bisque with chunks of lobster was also on special for Friday night. Our two steaks were the bone-in filet mignon and the gorgonzola filet mignon with a shared side of asparagus.. Before dinner sparkling chandon brut and dinner red of French Gigondas were both of excellent quality. Dessert was the flourless chocolate cake. Service, ambiance, and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beltway AmbianceBEM84Dined on 10/30/2014The Capital Grille is one of a few Denver locales that fits into an international schema - meaning it could be dropped into downtown SF, Washington DC, Los Angles, London or NYC, and still stand out as destination restaurant providing a consistent and exceptional dining experience. The well trained staff is au courant, the menu sophisticated and innovative, and the service spot on. If you can't readily travel to those far away places, then the speedy valet on Larimer will get you to closer to an exotic staycation.'Special Features:
- Thank you, thank you!!!AudeoVIPDined on 10/29/2014No surprise here for your absolutely delicious food, wonderful menu and outstanding service...as ALWAYS!!!! Sunshine, you well know the depth of my respect for all you do as the very best ambassador possible! Stephanie, thank you for exceptional service and a wonderful sense of humor! My only regret: I have never been able to bribe the chef for their lobster bisque recipe. Some things should be sacrosanct.... Of all the Capital Grilles I frequent across the U.S., this one is the absolute best. I thank you all.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014The Capital Grille Denver went out of their way to make our birthday dinner a very special event. Excellent food and service. They remain consistent from city to city. Top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal every timeSpencerDined on 10/24/2014Returned for lunch and it was excellent. The "plates" are great for lunch. The meat is always tender and the flavors are so well suited for each dish. You can't go wrong with any selection on the menu. Everything is delicious. Our server, Kayla, was so nice, polite and professional. Highly recommend this place for any occasion.Special Features:
- MarkDined on 10/22/2014Excellent Food - restaurant hopping as place was packed due to activity downtownSpecial Features:
- Waiter had an attitudeLovegreatfoodVIPDined on 10/22/2014I love the good, but find some of the waiters/waitresses a bit...what shall I say...stand-off'ish. Some of them don't look they want to be there. What a pity!!! The food is consistently great.
- Always AmazingBrenEdVIPDined on 10/21/2014If you are after impeccable service, amazing food, warm ambiance, a perfect dining experience GO to Denver's Capial Grille!Special Features:
- Wonderful2bostongirlsDined on 10/19/2014My wife and I celebrates our 2 year civil union. Service ( as always) was above and beyond. Staff is efficient, and always professional. Food = A++ We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but a bit disappointingGonzotheGreatDined on 10/17/2014Everything was good,but my steak was overlooked. If I order a 50 dollar steak rare, I expect it to be rare and not medium rare, especially after the server took such pains to explain the difference.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar service but so-so steaksJacqueVIPDined on 10/17/2014We experienced some of the best service of any restaurant we have ever been in! From the moment we walked through the door to the moment we left, we were exceptionally well cared for. We had a party of 5, three of whom had fish/seafood and all said it was very good. My husband and I both had the crusted filet with Gorgonzola and were underwhelmed. The cheese was too heavy and overpowered the beef and neither of us could identify what the crust was or even if there was a crust! The filets were cooked perfectly, however. For a steak house, I expect more.Special Features:
- Service was AMAZINGDenverCVIPDined on 10/16/2014My husband and I went to Capital Grille for our 9th wedding anniversary. We sat in the lounge so we could order the wagyu burger and wine pairing- we had no idea it would end up being one of the most memorable nights! Sarah took amazing care of us- she even went across the street to get gluten free bread for me! AMAZING! The table was strewn with rose petals and complimentary champagne kicked the evening off right. The food was amazing and the meal was paced perfectly- I can't say enough how wonderful a 'non-eventful' numbered anniversary was. Now how are we going to top that for our 10 year??Special Features:
- Outstanding service, excellent foodAyoOVIPDined on 10/16/2014I've eaten here four times in two weeks and can't say enough about the outstanding service and delicious food. It continues to be one of the best places for our client lunches and I look forward to getting to know more of the staff and menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and Serviceckmd25VIPDined on 10/11/2014The food here was pretty good overall. I think I was the only one of six that didn't like their's, so that's pretty good. I would suggest ordering steak or a dish that does not have to be cooked perfectly to be tasty. I orrdered the scallops and they we're way overcooked and rubbery. I frequently order scallops and unfortunately these were amongst the worst. However, the other dishes we're quiet good, the people at my party who ordered steak all really enjoyed their's as well as the lamb chop and sea bass. Additionally, the appetizers were quite good as well as the dessert, especially the coconut cream pie. The service was nice, slightly stuffy, but nice. They we're slightly slow but it was a saturday night so that's no uncommon.
- Nice place for a splurgewineanddineDined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent, the service impeccable, and the environment very relaxing. But the cost is certainly high, so maybe save dinner here for a special occasion if that matters to you. Very convenient to the symphony and peforming arts center, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat in DenverKat123Dined on 10/6/2014It was a fine dining experience, the good was excellent, the service was great. The only thing I didn't like was the annoying loud conversation that a group of people was having on the table next to my party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- APinoDined on 10/4/2014Staff was very welcoming, and food was amazing! My husband and I both enjoyed the crab cakes to start, and the tenderloin with butter poached lobster. Steak was tender, and lobster had great flavor. For being an upscale restaurant the atmosphere was relaxed, while maintaining an elegant vibe. Great experience, we will be back!Special Features:
- Been therr many times AwsomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014Always great service. Great food. Great wine list!
- Always Awesome!Rockwine98Dined on 9/30/2014You won't be disappointed at the Capital Grille. Top notch. Mediterranean Salad with Shrimp was outstanding for lunch. Steaks are out of this world. The servers are always pleasant, professional, and engaging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum Steak...eatoutalotVIPDined on 9/28/2014...but also that amazing grand tower of cold seafood and that, pricey but fun to peruse for a new favorite, wine list. Hard to find ANYTHING to complain about with the exception of the loss of free Valet Parking...at this price point it should be a given! (think Shanahan's or Del Frisco's!) But when we are downtown or in need of a destination the Capital Grille it is....Special Features:
- Consistent and Great ServiceTimADined on 9/27/2014Capital Grille is a chain, but a great one at that. We frequented the Tampa location quite a bit and always loved the kona-encrusted sirloin entree and double chocolate hazelnut cake for dessert. So now we are in the Denver and tried the restaurant on Larimer St. Great service and our favorites were served up just the way we remembered. Our server also gave us the dessert free as we told her it was for our daughter at home. Nice touch.Special Features:
- Outstanding food & serviceallgoodsmileDined on 9/27/2014The Capital Grill is the most elegant steak house in town. The food is by far the best if you want beef and shellfish and they will prepare it anyway you like. Lobster mac & cheese was divine! The service is wonderful and overall a memorable place to celebrate a special occasion. It's located in the charming Larimer Square which has plenty of bars for a night cap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingAbelVIPDined on 9/27/2014I'm a big fan of area steak/fine restuarants. The Capital Grille far surpassed any of my favorites. Two of my favorites are within 5 minutes of this restuarant. My steak and my wife's steak were prepared to perfection. The staff were amazing. We were celebrating my wife's birthday and the simple touch to our table and desert was fine addition. Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- Food and service is exceptionalLoDoeatsDined on 9/24/2014Everything in the Capital Grille is outstanding. However, you pay for it - generally speaking prices are at least 25% higher than other high end restaurants.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2014Always a great restaurant, no matter what city you're in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Service EverwinebabyDined on 9/19/2014Dined at CG-Denver for my guys' birthday dinner. Food was wonderful, wine was stellar, but the service was what pushed this experience over the top. Amanda Camp, our server, was fantastic - responsive but not hovering, knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the menu and feature items. She comp'd our table an extra side dish and it was EXACTLY what we'd all been considering adding anyway (seriously a mind reader!). Only bummer... we heard that CG was removing the Chop Salad from the menu at the end of the month. The Chop is a staple of the CG menu, and it would be a shame to see it go. KEEP THE CHOP!!!Special Features: