The Capital Grille - Costa Mesa
3333 Bristol Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92626Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Costa Mesa
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: (714) 432-1140
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chris Hutten
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Private dining event space can accommodate up to 60 guests.
A word from The Capital Grille - Costa Mesa
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you will experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their Achievement of Excellence Award. Whether you are celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our team has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with - a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located in the South Coast Plaza.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
The Capital Grille - Costa Mesa - Best Restaurants in Costa Mesa ›
The Capital Grille - Costa Mesa reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (144)fit for foodies (98)romantic (96)notable wine list (93)great for lunch (63)good for groups (50)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (14)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- FantasticDined on 11/22/2014My friends and I have an annual dinner here and this year was disappointing. We sat and someone took out drink order, then another waiter gave us the specials and then no one came by for 30 minutes. I had to ask the manager to get our waiter so we can order and the first waiter came back. Very disappointing when I've always received excellent service at all the Capitol Grills I've been to. When we finally had a waiter the service was better, but not excellent. I ordered the Delmonico steak and it arrived a little warm, so it had been sitting for a while. That was the most disappointing, to pay $51 for a somewhat warm steak that is usually amazing. For our initial troubles, the easier brought us 2 deserts on the house, which was thoughtful. Next year I think we'll try another restaurant, possibly Maestro's.
- Fantastic Service!! Outstanding Food!!FlyboyDined on 11/21/2014From the moment you are greeted until you leave, you feel valued as a not only a customer, but as a guest in someones home. Every detail and bite is incredible, I can't recommend them enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maliburonVIPDined on 11/18/2014the steak should come out hot....not warm....could have been better then.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch with friendswineloverVIPDined on 11/14/2014Four of us went to lunch and had the following entrees: Rib-eye steak sandwich with the truffle fries, two of us had the delicious lobster salad and one of us had the filet steak salad. Everything was fresh, and very tasty, as usual. The service is excellent, as staff came by to be sure everything was to our liking. Last Sunday we went to a 50 year anniversary celebration, and the buffet Sunday brunch for the 50 guests was the best I have ever seen. The patio dining was a joy, and the huge shrimp, eggs, salmon, cheese plate and all the other food was amazing and tasty! We look forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in the South Coast Plaza area but, for the first time, we found the food very disappointing. We normally have dinner at the Capital Grille but, in the past, have had also had lunch there. The menu was very limited and my salad had more greens then meat which was really good when you could find a piece. All in all, I feel we may need to re-think ever having lunch there again,Special Features:
- Need to try againfoodieDined on 11/8/2014This place came highly recommended, but I wasn't too impressed. I walked in and they said the wait was one hour long, I got on my Open Table App, made a reservation, and was seated in 3 minutes. As I walked through the restaurant toward my table, I noticed there were plenty of tables that were open. I had the filet mignon, which was very good, and the Au Gratin potatoes as our side. They were ok, but had a strong aftertaste of garlic. After what I had heard, I feel like I need to give it one more try.
- Classic & Refined LunchBizlunchDined on 11/7/2014Love this place for a business lunch. Has that old Eastern feel of business and getting deals done. Comfotable! Elegant and excellent food! Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- bizmanVIPDined on 11/1/2014Been to this Capital many times for dinner parties and have never been disappointed.
- ExpensiveBobbiVIPDined on 11/1/2014Great restaurant, great service, but definitely overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Birthday Dinner!helplyddieDined on 10/30/2014This was another great occasion at capital grille. We shared a kona crusted sirloin which was delectable. He absolutely loved the mashed potatoes while I adored the lobster mac and cheese- I can see why it comes highly recommended! I still have leftover lobster mac and cheese and mashed potatoes that I'm really looking forward to. The lobster bisque special was perfectly balanced - just creamy and salted enough with large chunks of lobster in there that I had been craving for months. Thank you so much for a great meal as usual - we will be back!Special Features:
- Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2014It was my nieces Birthday and they went all out. What a nice surprise. The food was well presented and delicious. You could not ask for better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchRichVIPDined on 10/29/2014Had a great lunch with my friend. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evening.JohnDined on 10/25/2014This evening was perfect. I requested a booth inside the main room , it was ready for us at the scheduled time. Not even a one minute wait. Our waiter, Casey was exceptional with his service and attentiveness and following thru with our preferences including a perfectly prepared and delicious porterhouse steak. After ordering the wine special, Jordan Cabernet one of my favorite wines and finding out it that was no longer available this night, Josh mgr/beverage mgr offered a few substitutes and didn't hesitate when I selected a wine of my choice. We remember Humberto from prior visits, personable and helpful. A perfect evening, thanks.......JohnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capital Grille is Beyone Excellentbrea2942Dined on 10/25/2014We were celebrating 2 birthdays and when we were seated, there were sprinkles on the table and a card for the birthday boys. The waitress, Jill, was phenomenal and made many helpful suggestions. She was very attentive but left us alone when we asked for more time to study the menu. The food was without equal. The Wagyu 7 oz. steak was so tender and done with the Kona rub, it was awesome. The filet mignon was magnificent as well. The scallops were amazing, especially for a restaurant that deals in steak. The lobster bisque was the best I've ever had. And the lobster mac & cheese is the best around anywhere. To finish the meal, two complimentary desserts were offered to the birthday boys along with a photo the waitress took. Simply the best!!Special Features:
- StellarLoveToDineDined on 10/24/2014John our server and Bill the manager as always made sure we were well taken care of. My wife's filet mignon and my bone-in ribeye were among the best selections of meat either of us have ever had the pleasure of consuming. They made special note of our anniversary as everyone from the restaurant that came by our table wished us congratulations. Top notch and could not recommend more.Special Features:
- Lunch with a friendwineloverVIPDined on 10/23/2014We both had the lobster salad. It has a light dressing with plenty of lobster, including the claws, with fresh greens and tomatoes. The service was excellent, as always, and the manager came by to say hello and make sure everything was up to par. We frequent this restaurant at least twice a month, and enjoy the excellent food dishes, great service, and the fact that management actually cares about the customer's satisfaction! We go back to Capital Grill this Sunday, as our friends from South County will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary here with friends and family for a delicious brunch. They had all of Orange County to choose from for the special celebration, and they chose the Capital Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappydinerDined on 10/21/2014I was very happy with my experience there and they went out of their way to help our birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationBummedDined on 10/21/2014I usually bring people to Capital to celebrate their birthday because they use to make you feel special. This time it was not a big deal. They did not bring out champagne or make it a big deal. The table was not even decorated in advance. I was very disappointed and may need to find a new place to celebrate. I do have to say the food was very good but the service was not what we have received in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to celebrate!BonBriVIPDined on 10/18/2014We had a spectacular evening, the service was exceptional and professional. We were not rushed and were patiently guided through the menu with great knowledge. Our I credible stakes were expertly prepared. We celebrated a birthday which was prepared for with great enthusiasm; sparkly confetti, champaign. a welcome card and a beautifully presented desert. The celebration and meal were memorableSpecial Features:
- Great for Business Dinners!SuzieDined on 10/17/2014We had 2 groups of 6 and everything went perfect! Excellent food! Perfect Service! Great Menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeTimmahDined on 10/17/2014First time, was nervous it would be like any "high end" chain, truth is it was awesome. The food was great, the service was great, and atmosphere was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014Our waiter, Derrick, was very knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:
- nieuport17VIPDined on 10/11/2014Beyond excellent - we will most definitely be back!
- Wagyu and WinesassyreinVIPDined on 10/10/2014We went for the Wagyu and Wine promotion and was enjoyed a lovely wine with a tasty burger. The one thing that needs work at this location is how the chef determines the wellness of the meat which is consistently overcooked (It has been a problem at other visits). That said however, the service is always outstanding- servers Megan and Tabitha are always personable and attentive (even with overcooking issues). The management staff, Bill and Josh, make the restaurant one that we return to and recommend again and again. Creative menus and superb service are the core achievement of Capital Grill.Special Features:
- The best first time experiencelmsolaresDined on 10/8/2014My family and I went to Capital Grille for my sisters birthday and beside everything looking beautiful, the service was AMAZING. They really nailed all the expectations for you to have a wonderful time. I will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Dissapoints..WorldTravelerDined on 10/6/2014Always delcious food, maticulous service, our go to place for a fanatasitic meal in a classy setting.Special Features:
- Very NiceDenisVIPDined on 10/5/2014We were expecting slightly different, and was quite expensive. This is more a 'steakhouse'. We had the halibut and it was good but certainly not great. Compared to some competing places very close by, we thought it a bit overpriced.Special Features:
- Thanks for a wonderful bday mealBdayVIPDined on 10/4/2014As a seafood lover, capital grille is the only restaurant where I can share a 14 oz dry aged sirloin with a meat lover and still be perfectly happy. The lemon oil asparagus is the best I've ever had and thanks for the tip that the au gratin potatoes are available as a half order. Also much appreciated is the impressive and wide ranging wine list. There's something there for everyone. Most of all, thanks for the lovely birthday cheesecake, espresso cake and fruit. Elegant and just the perfect size. We'll be back !Special Features:
- ElmoelmoVIPDined on 10/3/2014Great service with very attentive corporative staff that didn't miss a trick to improve your experience. Dardin is backing a winnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hbgirlhbgirlDined on 10/3/2014Our party of 8 was seated in a quaint private room. Everything about the experience was excellent. Tim, our server was outstanding.Special Features:
- Best beef in town!HazHDined on 9/27/2014Variety cuts of best tasting beef. Extensive wine list. Wonderful service. Ask for a quiet table as the restaurant is noisySpecial Features:
- Good food with traditional decorPolo9998Dined on 9/27/2014The food was great. We didn't have to wait at all when we arrived. Got seated right away. Service was a little odd. I am not sure if the server was trying to be impersonal so we can enjoy our dinner and won't bug us. She never smiled once. She just took orders, answered our questions, and deliver the food. I just wasn't expecting that kind of service.Special Features:
- LoboVIPDined on 9/27/2014Not only is The Capital Grille excellent for dinner, but it is also outstanding for Lunch! We had tickets for a 2:00 pm Matinee and decided to dine at The Capital Grille. Always consistent...service, ambiance, menu, food taste and presentation. We highly recommend Lunch or Dinner at The Capital Grille.Special Features:
- Special DiningKellyDined on 9/26/2014Our first time in dining area of restaurant. Have visited bar area before. My husband's birthday. All was excellent. Server Shawn Silva was very good. Food very good. Will visit again on special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous meal!MartiniManVIPDined on 9/23/2014Not only was each course prepared to perfection, Aimee served us with grace and efficiency.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Evening RuinedRuinedEveningDined on 9/20/2014The hostess & supervisor that finally seated my wife and I ruined our special evening. The hostess & supervisor were unfriendly, disrespectful, demeaning and dismissive. Hostess directed us to a table in the center of the room and asked if the table was okay. My wife said no, and requested the more private table near the window. Hostess said no that the window table was set for four. Hostess left us standing in the center of the room, brought her supervisor who also said no, table is set for 4 people. My wife said the table you are sitting us at is also for 4 people. Quickly, but reluctantly we were moved to the window table. How sad that we were served in such a way. Food, delicious! Ambiance, not so much.
- Amazing specialsPowleyGirl70VIPDined on 9/15/2014Lunch was delicious and cocktails were amazing! We loving hearing about the special drinks and dishes made for that day! Love trying anything new! Always amazing choices too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing experience!!dadorkjoeyDined on 9/14/20141st time there had an amazing experience. Everyone was very welcoming all the staff. Food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best steak I've ever had!FishandchipsVIPDined on 9/13/2014The service was excellent, they have the BEST steak ever! Only thing I notice was the room being too dark, I want to be able to see the food to enjoy. I've recommended The Capital Grille to my friends already!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightWeLove2EatDined on 9/13/2014Made reservations for a birthday dinner & our table was sprinkled w/confetti & a handwritten birthday card was there. We had the calamari appetizer (spicy but good) & wedge salad. For dinner we had the Kona crusted sirloin, Chilean sea bass & creamed spinach--all delicious! The Stoli Doli is great! And we loved the creme brûlée cheesecake. Service was friendly and attentive. We preferred our dining experience here over Mastros.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.