The Capital Grille - Chicago - Downtown
633 North Saint Clair
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Chicago - Downtown
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 3123379400x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Alan Grant
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Chicago - Downtown
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located one block east of Michigan Avenue at the corner of Ontario.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Capital Grille - Chicago - Downtown - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
The Capital Grille - Chicago - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)notable wine list (66)romantic (56)fit for foodies (40)good for groups (32)great for lunch (25)neighborhood gem (22)hot spot (10)late-night find (9)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Great dinner! Food is incredible and Phil our server great!! Talk story with him he's was very helpful w/ suggesting the Chicago science institutieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Fantastic!FoodieDined on 9/20/2014This wasn't my first time at Capital Grille and all my experiences have been very good. But this time, it was the best restaurant experience I have had in years! The special occasion was my mother's birthday. I did let the restaurant know about the celebration. Upon check in, my mother was wished a happy birthday. The table had confetti and a special birthday note. We were served sparkling wine for a toast and then b-day dessert. So, to say we had fantastic service is an understatement. This may have been enough, with good food. However, the food was excellent! The steaks were cooked to perfection, juicy and flavorful. I couldn't have asked for a better birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againSteakLoverVIPDined on 9/17/2014Salad was served with our instructions ignored. We each ordered NY strip steaks medium rare. Both were served medium to well done. Steak was so chewy & tough that I could not eat mine. Server NEVER came back to ask if everything was ok. One of the worst meals I ever had. Chicago has an abundance of great steak restaurants. This is not one if them.
- Great service/stick with red meatOrangetabbyVIPDined on 9/16/2014Capital Grille is consistent in many things in their many locations--excellent service, good wine list, and steaks. I wanted something lighter and went with the halibut on this last visit, but the honey mustard sauce was not a good match for fish, and while the filet was fresh and generous, it was overcooked and dry. Husband's 10 oz filet was excellent and cooked perfectly medium. Salads were fresh and well dressed, not drenched as so many places do now. Service was stellar, as per Capital Grille's usual standards.Special Features:
- Amazing anniversary at CGTheCanadiansDined on 9/13/2014We dine at Capital Grille for special occasions a few times a year and they never disapoint. We took my inlaws for their 56 anniversary. They greeted us and wished them a happy anniversary at the door which surprised them. We had a great dinner with great serviceby Samantha and her team. The deserts and champagne were a great finish to the meal but than they surprised us again with a gift for the anniversary couple. They were in awe of the treatment they got. They will be taliking about this for years to come. Nothing short of amazing. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Last minute reservationJojoVIPDined on 9/12/2014Surprisingly great hamburger for a chain restaurant. Also the ice cream was to die over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Fabulous dinner experience celebraing Wedding Anniversary! Everything was superb! Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!!!KKaccountDined on 9/3/2014This is the third Capital Grill I have enjoyed. I am always extremely happy with service and the quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic good foodHedyVIPDined on 9/2/2014We love The Capital Grille. And even for me, who does not eat meat, there is plenty to enjoy! But for my husband, who is a steak and potato man, the steaks are heavenly. We love the crab cakes and the salads for lunch and dinner. My only complaint is that you no longer have Conundrum on the menu. It's a fabulous wine and I was sooooo disappointed when you took it off.Special Features:
- Great foodFudaholicDined on 9/1/2014My husband and I love the capital grille for our date nights.. They're food is always excellent. I ordered halibut and it was excellent. I will have it again next time I get back. You will get out at the restaurant very satisfied..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Dining ExperienceJazzyladyDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I have been coming to The Capital Grille to celebrate his birthday for the last three years. This year we invited his best friend and his wife to join us. What a great evening. The food, drinks, staff and wait service were all exceptional. The laughter, toasts, the beautiful ambiance of the restaurant all led to an enjoyable and special evening for all. My husband and I will definitely return here for our special celebrations for years to come!Special Features:
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014I am not a meat eater but went for my husbands birthday. I got the halibut that was dry and tasteless. My husband did like his steak
- BobSteakloverDined on 8/25/2014Best steakhouse in Chicago They hand cut steaks and age in house!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak everSandynTheoVIPDined on 8/23/2014We scheduled a reservation to take advantage of the restaurant's Generous Pour event featuring 8 wines with unlimited servings for $25. Service was impeccable from when we were greeted at the door to when the check arrived. Lara our waitress was outstanding - attentive without being disruptive. She came back at intervals to check our wine status. We started with the calamari and prosciutto wrapped mozzarella. The calamari had an unexpected spiciness,which was very tasty. All four of us had the bone in filet, which was melt in your mouth good. The whole dinner was quite pricey, but we knew that going in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capital food at the Capital GrillPeterRDined on 8/23/2014Our first visit to the Capital a Grill and I hope we get to visit again. The service was excellent, the food tasty and the flight of wines offer a good way to taste several quality wines. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic SteakhouseDrDaveVIPDined on 8/23/2014Capital Grille easily stands with the other great steakhouses in Chicago - a city full of them. The steaks come out well seasoned and at the right temperature. They have a great wine list and often have wine specials like the Generous Pour that was going on this month: 3 white wines and 4 reds that you could sample as much as you wanted for $25. Sides are generally good, parmesan fries outstanding. Reliably good service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/22/2014Have dined here on many occasions. It is always consistent. Food is good and fairly priced. Servers are professional and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency is everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014There are lots of steak houses in Chicago, as there are in any city, but there is something to be said about going to a restaurant when travelling when you know exactly what you are going to get. Food was very good, everyone was very accommodating, not to mention the fact that they gave us a sample dessert that was perfect and really hit the spot.
- bruceDined on 8/16/2014We had one of the best dining expierences ever. It was our anniversary and my wife's birthday - they treated us very special. The wine special was fantastic! Waiter was great and very knowledgeable about the wines he was serving. All the service was over the top. Great dining experience! Food was the best....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrankieFrankieDined on 8/14/2014five of us attended dinner the waitress was superlative the food was magnificent. great bar scene in the steaks are excellent.. Hi highly recommend it to any size group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ReviewBethieDined on 8/10/2014The service was just OK. He wasn't particularly friendly, seemed annoyed when one of my guests didn't order any food (despite the fact that this diner had called days in advance to be sure that this was OK), seemed annoyed that another diner ordered only a salad. And then, near the end of our meal, he just plumb disappeared for a good 20 minutes. I wanted to order an additional item and ultimately did it through a gentleman who was the maître d', I believe.Special Features:
- Usual Great ExperienceChicagolandVIPDined on 8/9/2014We go to the Capital Grille in Scottsdale and Phoenix a lot and we have also been to the Indianapolis, Los Angeles, and now Chicago locations. We have never been disappointed with the food or service, which are consistently very good.
- Nice eveningJimboDined on 8/7/2014Went for our anniversary. They honored our request for a nice, quite booth. Had rose petals on the table with a nice card. Server tomatoes while to get to our table, but once she did she was very pleasant. Could not really hear her since it was kind of noisy. She asked for our drink order, the came back with our drinks and a complimentary glass of champagne. Very nice, but if I would have known she was going to bring us a drink, I would have not ordered my cocktail. Had a stripe steal for dinner. Portions big, steak was good, but not great. Little chewy. Asked for our dessert order, but we were so full we Declined. They then bring us a complimentary trio of desserts. Overall nice evening. Reasonable pricing for downtownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014The waitress was awesome with her food and wine selections. The food was exceptional.Special Features:
- A great meal with excellent serviceYesPleaseVIPDined on 8/5/2014Whether you are getting steak or seafood, salad or soup - you are in for a treat. Exceptional menu and equally fantastic service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeDBH11Dined on 8/4/2014I booked this reservation for my wife's 50th Birthday. We were treated like royalty! First class service. I would highly recommend Capital Grille for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Capilal Grille RegularBobbieDined on 8/2/2014Been to many many Capital Grille restaurants around the US. Love the menu, ambiance, service and food. A bit disappointed with the Chicago member of the chain. Service was not as good and food was undercooked vs. the order. Still a nice meal and experience -- just not up to normal standards.Special Features:
- Dave PrestonLyandlytDined on 8/1/2014Dave Preston made our experience at the Capital Grille one to remember. We were celebrating my son's receiving of his Master's degree. He and his wife were first time customers and believe me, they will make it their Chicago favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't get much better ...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2014A constant across the nation is the Capital Grill where one can expect a good meal and great service everytime. Our dinner the other night was no ewxception and we only have good things to say.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/25/2014Although known for their steaks, I ordered fish; the seared tuna and it was outstanding. Adam was our waiter and he was top notch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointmentbbbbDined on 7/25/2014The generous poor package is fabulous. Always get the lobster Mac and cheeseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great anniversarywindyworkerDined on 7/20/2014Two years ago, we had our wedding day lunch at the Capital Grille, and have since returned for our last two anniversaries. Each time has been wonderful! We just celebrated our second anniversary there, and were fortunate to have the same server from our wedding day, and it was great catching up with him. They gave us a beautiful card and seated us at the corner booth, which made us feel important and gave us a great view. The food was awesome -- everything. I had a surf and turf, my wife had halibut, and we both loved each others' dish as much as our own. We will continue to dine there each anniversary, and hopefully throughout the year whenever we want a special treat!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/19/2014We have eaten at The Capital Grille on many occasions. We are never disappointed. Food, service and ambiance are of a very high standard and consistent. This Chicago location is among the best in the organization in our opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentKarenDined on 7/18/2014ALWAYS a number one choice in my book. the Tuna is amazing and staff is fantastic. They will NOT disappointSpecial Features:
- excellenteatingoutDined on 7/12/2014It was our 40th anniversary dinner celebration! and we were both very pleased. The server/waiter did an excellent job and it was an extremely pleasant evening for both of us. The dessert and campaign at the end of the meal were a surprise, but with the card, rose petals, and everyone wishing us congratulations, it was like we were with family. We love the Capital Grille, and the downtown Chicago locations is our absolute favorite!Special Features:
- LunchShowme86VIPDined on 7/11/2014Great food and service without exception. We have yet to be disappointed.Special Features:
- Great again!jjurkoviDined on 7/9/2014We've never been disappointed at the Capitol Grill. Consistent and phenomenal food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeJudyklm1Dined on 7/7/2014I really enjoyed my dinner here with friends. The great customer service started from the valet and continued throughout the night. Love how the waiter could speak great selections that were not on the menu. I had the bone in rib eye oscar styled lobster macoroni and creamed corn with bacon and it was jus great!! The drinks were nice and strong as well. Overall really good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!salgado2nDined on 7/5/2014We were there for our anniversary and was the perfect place. When we confirmed the reservation I was asked if we were celebrating anything and they paid attention to this by giving us champagne and dessert! The food was excellent we had the chop salad and the lobster mac/cheese and the Kona steak, everything was delicious! our server was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As expectedLBJackDined on 7/2/2014Always about the same. Nice place to entertain , everyone will find something on the menu. In Chicago it's just expected the steak will be aged, prime and good, no disappointment. Great drinks, starters and sides. Service is top notch.I would recommend this to a friend.