The Capital Grille - Chicago - Downtown
633 North Saint Clair
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Chicago - Downtown
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: (312) 337-9400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Alan Grant
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Chicago - Downtown
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located one block east of Michigan Avenue at the corner of Ontario.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
The Capital Grille - Chicago - Downtown - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
The Capital Grille - Chicago - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (110)notable wine list (77)romantic (58)fit for foodies (56)good for groups (49)great for lunch (34)neighborhood gem (33)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (10)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent food and service!MagicDined on 11/18/2014Loved the citrus salmon- the steak tartare- the coconut cream pie- the steak- the Stoli-do lee sample. Derrick was outstanding in his recommendations and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've had better...ajswifeDined on 11/16/2014The customer service was decent. The food was definitely not like I expected based on the reviews. We have been to many Chicago steakhouses and unfortunately Capital Grille has some work to do. The steak I had was cooked to the temperature I wanted but it must have been a poor quality piece of meat because it was dry and not tender at all. My husband's steak was a little better but it sure was salty. I appreciated the waitress for removing the steak I ordered from my bill because I never asked her to so it was nice that she paid attention to my dissatisfaction. I don't think we'll be back.
- GREAT !!!KatrinDined on 11/14/2014As usual the place, the service and the food were close to the perfection. And the Filet mignon is really GREAT !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodjerryandD1Dined on 11/14/2014Service was good,steaks were very good. Nice flavor. Over all not a bad place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodFood4meDined on 11/11/2014The food was amazing with a very knowledgeable staff. Service was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was just okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014We choose a 9:45 pm reservation because we had a packed day of activities downtown. Due to our late dining reservation we each (4 of us) ordered a filet and that was it. The waiter was almost put off that we didn't want any appetizers or sides to accompany our meal. He was pushing us to order more food and we felt he was trying pad the bill so he could get a larger tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super NicechigrlDined on 11/8/2014If you have younger kids, they will love the Mac N' Cheese. The sea scallops were amazing and I can't believe how big the Brussels Sprouts were. The only suggestion I'd offer is to roast the Sprouts a big longer, they were a bit under cooked. But overall amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2014Dave, our waiter was outstanding. Food was excellent and table was very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated like a queenTheTWoBrides30Dined on 11/5/2014The welcome was warm as I celebrated my wedding. Wade our sever was amazing and knowledgeable! Food was succulentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service/delicious foodprincesst30Dined on 11/1/2014My husband's appetizer of butternut squash soup was absolutely delicious. I had the lamb chops, which were seasoned extremely well and were perfectly cooked. Our waitstaff was attentive and pleasant and the manager stopped by to check on us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayMrsJ92107Dined on 10/30/2014We enjoy fine dining, so we were excited to try out capital grill. The service was extremely disappointing, so much so we probably will not return. She treated us as if we were a bother and really put a damper on our evening. Steaks were great, but you can get a great steak with GREAT service in Chicago.
- DisappointedMellymelVIPDined on 10/28/2014We normally have a great experience at Cap Grille but last experience was not great. Our table was forgotten often and food was late coming to our table.Special Features:
- Great for singlesMoniDined on 10/27/2014As a single person that often dines alone, I like attentiveness, but with privacy and respect. Front area with a view of pedestrian traffic, through immaculately clean windows. I was able to read my book, enjoy my lunch, in peace and relative quiet. A great midday break during a hectic week.Special Features:
- First time customerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014There are no shortage of reasons not to return for future business.Special Features:
- Consistency is Appreciatedmlrh100Dined on 10/25/2014When choosing a steak house in Chicago...... oh boy there are so many choices. For us (my spouse) it always starts and finishes with the quailty of the food and service. CG from state to state delivers very high quality prime aged beef. The service is consistent with knowledgable servers who are welcoming but not too cheesy. While the decour is decidely clubby, it's very comfortable and meets everyones needs. The tables aren't too close and you don't have to worry about guests and/or servers constantly bumping into your table. The noise level is conversational so you don't have to yell across the table to your aging mom/dad to say "how's your steak". We do like some other spots in Chicago but alway come back to CG. ThxSpecial Features:
- The same qualityToutiDined on 10/20/2014We had dinner in Boston, we the same resturant, we were amazed but more impressive that they could be of the same quality service, food and ambience or even better here in chicagoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelletnKarenDined on 10/17/2014Food was excellent. Waiter was very helpful. We went early, so was quiet at first, but full later and noise level was fine. Very nice interior of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent food, bad serviceBruno1984Dined on 10/15/2014I brought a group of friends to the CG downtown Chicago expecting the same excellent food & service I experienced in the past in the same and other locations. We have not been disappointed by the food that was great, but the waiter who "took care" of us did not look happy with his role. We had almost no explanations on the menu, no eye contact and he did barely answered to our questions. It has been very disappointing to face this kind of service in such an established restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good at the GrillecmcnewVIPDined on 10/12/2014Capital Grille never disappoints. Same great food and wine list at every location. Will recommend to anyone, anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Steaks2bigeatersVIPDined on 10/12/2014The steaks were simply the best anywhere. One of us ordered the seared ahi and too was very good. Perfect service at a pleasant pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tom & nancyNancyDined on 10/11/2014We had a wonderful evening. The steaks were wonderful. The special birthday dessert was great and a treat. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner !!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/8/2014one of the most reliable and consistent dining experience in the city of Chicago !!Special Features:
- Great as usualEnbarVIPDined on 10/6/2014I love steak and have tried most of the top-rated steakhouses in Chicago... I have to say that Capital Grille is clearly the best, the Porterhouse and the Bone-in Mignon are out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfultogoboxDined on 10/4/2014Was everything that we needed it to be......excellent service, food, and atmosphere. With so many choices in Chicago it's hard to say where we will wind up dining the next time we go, but I know that Capital Grille will be on our list of possibilities! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent experience!NORNVIPDined on 10/3/2014Enjoyed a nice birthday dinner - as they tastefully decorate the table, leave a birthday card, serve an amazing dessert, and then take your picture. Thoughtful details to help make the celebration special. Not to mention, the food, ambiance, and wine are top notch. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014The food was wonderful and the service impeccable. Great restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Special Evening and Delicious Meal!2CanadiansDined on 10/3/2014We very much enjoyed this restaurant. We went early to have a drink at the bar and Zack was very friendly and mixed delicious drinks. Our reservation was at 7 pm and the hostess came promptly to show us to our table. The lighting was low for a perfect romantic birthday dinner and our waiter and table assistant were very efficient. We enjoyed all the food we ate and my husband kept saying how delicious the filet mignon was for days after our meal. They had signed a birthday card for me and had small table decorations as well as took our picture for memories of my birthday dinner which was a nice touch. They also brought us a delicious birthday dessert which we both enjoyed. We loved our dining experience at the Capital Grille!Special Features:
- Amazing!HappyDinerDined on 10/2/2014Enjoyed a fabulous dinner at the Capital Grille - would highly recommend for anyone visiting Chicago. Great for business dinner or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treated like royaltyTWPaulVIPDined on 10/1/2014We visited Capital Grille for our anniversary and they outdid themselves. Greeted at the door with "Happy Anniversary", taken to our quiet booth which was strewn with rose petals and a card signed by the staff. The food was excellent, steak, au gratin potatoes, and fresh creamed spinach. We were pleasantly and complete satisfied when a tray with "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate arrived with two exceptional desserts, cheese cake and flour less chocolate cake. We left happy and pleased that on our special day we were treated like royalty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014We went for a Birthday dinner before going to one of the local comedy clubs. We had a tight turnaround time and the staff took great care of us. I would highly recommend that you request Scott Johnston as your server. He is very unique, a bit on the eccentric side, which makes for a fun and memorable dining experience. He is a skilled professional with great knowledge and skills. The sequence of service from the whole team was impeccable. The Kona Crusted filet is amazing!Special Features:
- DSE104Dined on 9/21/2014Great dinner! Food is incredible and Phil our server great!! Talk story with him he's was very helpful w/ suggesting the Chicago science institutieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Fantastic!FoodieDined on 9/20/2014This wasn't my first time at Capital Grille and all my experiences have been very good. But this time, it was the best restaurant experience I have had in years! The special occasion was my mother's birthday. I did let the restaurant know about the celebration. Upon check in, my mother was wished a happy birthday. The table had confetti and a special birthday note. We were served sparkling wine for a toast and then b-day dessert. So, to say we had fantastic service is an understatement. This may have been enough, with good food. However, the food was excellent! The steaks were cooked to perfection, juicy and flavorful. I couldn't have asked for a better birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againSteakLoverVIPDined on 9/17/2014Salad was served with our instructions ignored. We each ordered NY strip steaks medium rare. Both were served medium to well done. Steak was so chewy & tough that I could not eat mine. Server NEVER came back to ask if everything was ok. One of the worst meals I ever had. Chicago has an abundance of great steak restaurants. This is not one if them.
- Great service/stick with red meatOrangetabbyVIPDined on 9/16/2014Capital Grille is consistent in many things in their many locations--excellent service, good wine list, and steaks. I wanted something lighter and went with the halibut on this last visit, but the honey mustard sauce was not a good match for fish, and while the filet was fresh and generous, it was overcooked and dry. Husband's 10 oz filet was excellent and cooked perfectly medium. Salads were fresh and well dressed, not drenched as so many places do now. Service was stellar, as per Capital Grille's usual standards.Special Features:
- Absolutely FantasticMerisamDined on 9/14/2014I decided to take my parents here for their 35th anniversary having had an anniversary dinner here myself in the past. Between the food, the environment, and the incredible hospitality shown towards my parents and myself, this was undoubtedly the best anniversary dinner they ever had (their words, not mine). Starting with a happy and smiling "Happy Anniversary" from the hosts, the fantastic seating location, the marvelous food, champagne and desserts, and the manager coming over to ensure my parents had a memorable anniversary (along with a wonderful gift presented by him), I cannot possibly say enough how much of an absolute delight this dining experience was. This dinner will something my parents and I will always remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing anniversary at CGTheCanadiansDined on 9/13/2014We dine at Capital Grille for special occasions a few times a year and they never disapoint. We took my inlaws for their 56 anniversary. They greeted us and wished them a happy anniversary at the door which surprised them. We had a great dinner with great serviceby Samantha and her team. The deserts and champagne were a great finish to the meal but than they surprised us again with a gift for the anniversary couple. They were in awe of the treatment they got. They will be taliking about this for years to come. Nothing short of amazing. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Last minute reservationJojoVIPDined on 9/12/2014Surprisingly great hamburger for a chain restaurant. Also the ice cream was to die over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/10/2014Capital Grille rarely disappoints - good quality and service, nice lunch special, and the thoughtful gestures for celebrations are greatly appreciated.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Fabulous dinner experience celebraing Wedding Anniversary! Everything was superb! Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!!!KKaccountDined on 9/3/2014This is the third Capital Grill I have enjoyed. I am always extremely happy with service and the quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.