The Capital Grille - Chevy Chase
5310 Western Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815Neighborhood:
Chevy Chase, DC
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Chevy Chase
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.capitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 3017187812x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm (Bar Menu available from 3:00pm - 4:00pm), Saturday noon - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jose Villanueva
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today. Private dining room can hold up to 30 guests.
A word from The Capital Grille - Chevy Chase
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance & exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks & the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. & as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience & the ideal materials to work with a capital setting, distinctive food & unmatched service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
The Capital Grille - Chevy Chase - Best Restaurants in Chevy Chase, DC ›
The Capital Grille - Chevy Chase reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (121)notable wine list (67)romantic (63)fit for foodies (55)good for groups (47)great for lunch (47)neighborhood gem (44)vibrant bar scene (20)great for outdoor dining (20)great for brunch (17)hot spot (11)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Awesome!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014This is our go-to place for special occasions, or when we just want a little pampering. The annual Generous Pour wine event is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generous pourMPOLVIPDined on 8/29/2014What a great evening.Sat outside, enjoyed wonderful seafood and steak and great wine fom their generous pour program - definitely the best value in fine dining.Special Features:
- ExcellentRTS2Dined on 8/26/2014Stopped in for cocktails and a light dinner. We were seated at a very private table. The service was discreet and unobtrusive. The Bar menu offered tasty and substantial items in smaller portions. Everything was excellent, from the bread to the dessert. We visit often and have yet to be disappointed. Not inexpensive but the value received is comparable. This is not an overpriced steakhouse, this is an excellent restaurant which serves terrific beef dishes.Special Features:
- Great place to start a date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014I eat at the Capital Grille in Chevy Chase frequently and am never disappointed. We dined early on a Sat night and it was not that crowded. Our server spent a lot of time w/ us and personalized a couple of selections when my wife and I had trouble deciding between items. Crab salad appetizer was exceptional; cobb salad was also very good. The Filet Oscar was unique in that the "Oscar" was practically a meal, an entire crab cake. Both steaks were perfectly prepared (The Kona crusted sirloin is unique and really very good). If you haven't had the lobster mac and cheese, try it! What set the experience apart and earned the 5 stars was our server. Just exceptional service throughout the evening. A great date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingOmnivore28VIPDined on 8/17/2014Every aspect of our dining experience at The Capital Grille was excellent. The steaks were cooked perefxtly , the service was impeccible , and the wine pours were quite generous. I have been to many steakhouses in DC, and this one (surprisingly) ranked at or near the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to be excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/17/2014Capital Grille continues to be really a great place to eat. The beef is excellent, and all the other food really good. The servers are very attentive without being "in your face," and very knowledgeable. A genuinely nice place to dine. And yes, the portions are large, but we've learned to take home some food and the leftovers make a great meal the next day.Special Features:
- Past Perfect!WellTraveledDinerDined on 8/17/2014I took my dear friend and real estate agent to Capitol Grille to celebrate the sale of my condo. From the delightful staff, to the complimentary glass of champagne to toast our celebration, the place was just past perfect ... smiles from everyone, bread arriving quickly and warm, and the food was fabulous. House salad featured heirloom cherry tomatoes, and my filet mignon was probably the best I've had ... all in all, Capitol Grille rates as one of the top five restaurants I'd name in a long life, well-traveled, and eating out as a road warrior for many years. Well done! But not my steak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceIloveSteakDined on 8/17/2014As always, the Capital Grille in Chevy Chase never disappoints. The food and service is excellent. It's worth the splurge every once in a while.Special Features:
- All That And Lifesaving Waiters TooMarleyVIPDined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed our restaurant week meal at Capital Grille immensely, notwithstanding the loud child at the next table. But the best part was our attentive waiter Michael Moquin who also saved the life of a choking victim as we paid the check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with in lawsMentorshipDined on 8/16/2014Service was excellent,particularly since it was Reataurant Week and we ordered from that menu. Waiter was patient with older in-laws who needed some extra help and accommodated us to determine how we could get other items we wanted as part of our meal. Food was excellent! Everyone was very pleased!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a tad disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014My friend and I were there during restaurant week and we were one of the first customers there at 4pm. Our server made a mistake on my appetizer which he corrected afterwards. He then proceeded to forget to ask me how I wanted my kona steak done. Needless to say, it came out medium rather than medium rare which I prefer. I didn't enjoy my meal very much and it even gave me an upset stomach but I still give the overall rating 3 stars since my friend enjoyed her dinner.Special Features:
- Nice restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Excellent service! Food was good. Wine was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week 2014BrunchDined on 8/16/2014Great food and wine Our party was delayed and the staff was pleasant about our long meal Not so good- downstairs bathroom was unisex and disgusting, not at all what my group was expecting from such an established restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standard well prepared foodA4wingedlionDined on 8/15/2014The food was not spectacular or unique and filled with flavor but was classically done and we'll prepared. Basic flavors...
- AwesomeKelBeanDined on 8/15/2014Awesome! No need to add any more with dining at the Capital Grille. I love this restaurant!Special Features:
- Horrible Servicedcluv2dineVIPDined on 8/15/2014I have been to the Capital Grille on several occasions, but this was the worst dining experience ever. Our server was horrible. She did not ask if we were interested in drinks, it was what do you want as your entrée. I informed her we would like to start off with drinks, but we just ordered our food. We received our first course, the server returned to say your dinner would be out shortly, we received dinner, however, we never saw our server again. We finished our dinner, never came back to ask how our food was. She finally showed up after I had to ask another server for assistance. Our sever excuse was she had another table that had a problem. As a server do not ignore your other customers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great All Around Restaurant!foodie56Dined on 8/15/2014The service was spot on. The server was always attentive, he was knowledgeable, and he was friendly. My food was great. Maybe not the absolute best (aka there are meals that I reminisce about). I may not be lovingly remembering my meal for the next 10 years, but it was still excellent food. I got the clam chowder and the lobster roll. The bread for the roll was SO good, and the lobster was fresh and delicious. The most outstanding thing was the dessert-the flourless chocolate torte was AMAZING. That is something that I'll remember for a long time. The cheesecake was also amazing. It had caramelized sugar on top and the filling was whipped goodness. It wasn't dense at all, which I loved. I recommend trying this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb ExperienceLAP82Dined on 8/14/2014We frequent this restaurant quite often. By far, this particular location has provided us with one of our most memorable experiences. The food was delcious but our service was exceptional. Altair was friendly, knowledgeable, efficient and patient. I highly recommend this restaurant. Ask for Altair!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service.CharlieDined on 8/14/2014There for two friends birthdays. Brandon, our waiter. Couldn't have been better. Some mistakes with our orders, but overall food was very good. Steaks very nicely doneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid this place at all cost!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014We went during Restaurant Week, and were treated by the waiter as if we were robbing the restaurant. Not only did he mislead us into choosing a cheaper dish, he also tried to charge us an extra 30%. If the restaurant thinks customers who pay a discounted price should be treated like robbers, it really should not participate in thie Restaurant Week promotion.Special Features:
- Akim was fantastic!coachtimDined on 8/13/2014Starving graduate students who took advantage of good week to enjoy some of the best steak and salmon we've had. Our waiter, Akim, was fantastic; the steak was beyond excellent: no bells and whistles, just cooked to an excellent medium and an excellent cut. Dessert was an excellent cheesecake. I will happily go back.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week LunchbocabrokerDined on 8/13/2014Good and as advertised $20.14. I got the Steak Salad and my guest the Chicken Caesar. Steak salad came with 10 oz. sirloin steak sliced on the side. Great lunch, but was disappointed DC location had an 8 oz. Filet on their RW Menu and served me a bowl of clam chowder rather than a cup. Oh well, but this location was convenient today; and tax in DC is 10% WOW. As we lunched late, the allowed us to order the "Generous Pour" which was well worth it. Waiter seemed preoccupied, perhaps as we were one of the last two parties upstairs, we were keeping him? But he didn't rush us. Still a lot of food, so we had them box the small dessert which came with the RW lunch, cheesecake round or espresso/chocolate cake.Special Features:
- Amazing!!!!!lfsaDined on 8/12/2014We spent much time choosing a spot for dinner in Bethesda after a rough day. We requested a quiet spot and were provided with superb seating and an outstanding staff. The food was absolutely perfect...lobster, porterhouse, all were prepared perfectly. Our waitress was very knowledgable and helpful on finding that perfect food/wine. We can't wait to return. Just amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Akim!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/12/2014We had a wonderful dinner, and Akim might be the best server I've ever had. My filet was cooked perfectly according to what I asked for, but needed some salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service??!!Suz43Dined on 8/11/2014The food as always was top notch. Too bad the same couldn't be said for the service. We had to keep looking for our waiter and trying to flag him over. He did have a larger party that he was very attentive to. This is the first time I've had this type of experience at Capital Grill. If the dining room had been busy I would or could have understood. It really was not up to their usual.Special Features:
- The servicer was Incredible!MagicDined on 8/6/2014Dwayne Silver was one of the best servers I have ever dealt withhe was very attentive to our needs and I do appreciate that because it was my girlfriend's birthday excellent services.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, ok ambiance.DCdinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Decent steak at high prices. You can find better steak at similar prices elsewhere with less stuffiness. Lobster was a little overcooked, as usual. Steak tartare was ok, not awesome. Service was slow. I'd probably go back to sit at the bar for a quick bite, not for a sit-down meal. For the price of a dinner with wine at Cap Grille, there are a million better foodie casual dining options in the area (which I prefer over the stuffy steakhouse), even chef's tables and tasting menus with wine pairings that are more inventive, better quality food, and more bang for your buck. Maybe 10 years ago, Cap Grille was a special occasion place. Now it's just good for the bar and an ok wine list.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/2/2014Took my parents and friends (party of 10) to capital grille for their 50th anniversary. I called and mentions that was why we would be there and when we forni out table the staff has scattered little red hearts across the table and left a really nice card. A really sweet touch! Service was impeccable and everyone's meals were outstanding! Loved the experience! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoriteshowardVIPDined on 8/2/2014Capital Grill Chevy Chase is special. Our server, Akim, makes it especially so. Food outstanding, service impeccable, seating quiet enough for people to have conversation. All in all fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!RTS2Dined on 8/1/2014Everything about this visit was outstanding. The food was terrific, the service attentive but unobtrusive, the dining room was quiet, clean and comfortable. Everything you should expect in an upscale establishment. Expensive I suppose but a great value if you wish to have a great dining experience. Kudos to the management team and staff.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceajhamiltDined on 7/31/2014Dirty dishes sat at the table too long, and the food was over cooked. Avoid this location and it's mediocre service.Special Features:
- pamstuartDined on 7/26/2014Our group of four had a nice reunion. My filet Oscar was very nicely prepared. French fries were delicious. Porterhouse steak was just wonderful -- even as "left overs."Special Features:
- Perfection Indeed!ChristopherVIPDined on 7/26/2014Dining is always an experience at The Capital Grille- it is much more than mere eating. If you have not treated yourself to the exquisite food, service, and ambiance that is The Capital Grille, you are sadly missing one of the finest restaurants in the DC area. I must first highlight Kathleen, our server, who was the perfect blend of friendly and professional, and is a definite asset to The Capital Grille. I have always found the service flawless, and Kathleen once again proved that excellence is the expectation. Our meals were heavenly, highlights are the lobster bisque, salmon, filet Oscar, and the flourless espresso torte. Having been to many of the other establishments that serve steak in DC, there is no compare for quality. Perfect!Special Features:
- Always a good choiceBasilDined on 7/25/2014We have dined at Capital Grill in Friendship Heights, MD numerous times and it is always a good choice for great quality food and good service.Special Features:
- RoscoeVIPDined on 7/25/2014I enjoyed our outdoor table, and the waiter was courteous and attentive, except that it took an inordinately long time for a simple order to arrive. Others around us were served relatively quickly and our table (just 2 people) was kept waiting. The waiter explained that there was a large party dining as well and that that had delayed our order. Yet others were served much more quickly. The food was fine. We ordered the coconut cream "pie" and it turns out it is a somewhat deconstructed version with a tart shell that was hard to break and coconut custard and a great deal of whipped cream on top. I would have preferred the traditional pie crust with custard and then whipped cream--easier to eat.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/18/2014It was very easy to get this reservation at the last minute. The restaurant was nearly empty on a friday night at 8:15. The wait staff could not have been nicer. The food was poor. The fish was very overdone as was the steak. The appetizers were ok. There are a lot of good steak houses in DC that can now do food other than steak. This is not one of them.
- Special occasionMortyZVIPDined on 7/18/2014We love the Capital Grill chain and frequent the one in Palm Beach Gardens, FL and the one in Tysons Corner. The waiter was extremely knowledgeable and made it a great visit. My wife ordered her filet medium and it was medium well. The server offered to take it back and make a new one, but she didn't want to wait, so she ate it, but was disappointed. Other than that it was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaksTjugirlDined on 7/14/2014Great food. Con: no kids menu, service was slow and our waiter was inattentive and hard to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveDined on 7/13/2014WE HAD A DELIGHTFUL EVENING AT THE CAPITOL GRILL... ALL FOOD WAS VERY GOOD ESPECIALLY THE CHILEAN BASS AND THE BEEF TARTAR. MY BIRTHDAY COULD NOT HAVE BEEN CELEBRATED IN A BETTER PLACE.... EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH EVERY PENNY OF IT.Special Features:
- High Quality, Superb ServiceSOBE2018Dined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed a dinner for two during the Generous Pour wine event. We shared a crab cocktail to start (appetizers are large here) and tried the three white wine selections. Then, we both had beef with the four red wines, which were all terrific (Pinot Noir, Merlot, Bordeaux Blend and Cabernet). We shared a delicious fruit sorbet, accompanied by a lovely late harvest Chardonnay. We come to Capitol Grille at least once a year--it's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.Special Features: