The Capital Grille - Charlotte
201 North Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Charlotte
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: (704) 348-1400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Daniel Frier
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Charlotte
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business meeting, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Located in the heart of the Uptown Financial District just blocks from the Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte Convention Center, and Time Warner Cable Arena.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Capital Grille - Charlotte - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
The Capital Grille - Charlotte reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (142)notable wine list (93)romantic (81)fit for foodies (61)good for groups (59)vibrant bar scene (37)great for lunch (29)hot spot (24)great for outdoor dining (17)neighborhood gem (16)great for brunch (6)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)Show More
- Perfect for Dinner and a Show at Belk TheaterreeagleDined on 11/23/2014If you are looking for a great special occasion outing, or simply a way to make attending the Belk Theater easy, consider dinner at CG. Valet parking for the restaurant is right across the street from the theater and they get your car to the curb just as the show ends so you walk out, pay, get in and go. Can you say "EASY!" Of course the food, service, ambiance are all top flight, and also of course, you pay a premium in the final bill. But for that once in a while "spoil/pamper yourself and your loved one" book dinner at the Grille.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Experience Don't Go!firsttimerDined on 11/23/2014For the price we paid we certainly expected better service. We never received our "complete pour" from our bottle of wine. They forget our side dish, had to ask twice. Manager apologized for it and agreed to take it off of the bill, didn't happen. Waiter seemed overwhelmed and confused. I get better service at McDonalds. Don't waste your time or money!
- Not worth the moneyAllisonDined on 11/22/2014My husband and I were extremely excited to finally try Capital Grille for the first time. Our entire experience was extremely disappointing. All the way from the service to the food. Our waiter was fine, but did not make us feel welcome. He did not smile once. We ordered numerous things to share since it was our first experience here. The Calamari was very good. Then we also split a Ceasar salad, great dressing, but a little too much of it. Then this is where the disappointment started. (besides the luke warm waiter). My water ran out as I was trying to eat the spicy calamri. Would think tthey should be looking to fill your drink at a place like this. Our French Onion soup never came. We wondered about it, but our waiter never came by for us to even ask. Then it came at the same time as our steak and side of lobster mac and cheese. Except they brought us the wrong side. So, she took that back and our steak as well since I needed an extra plate to split (which I had already asked our waiter about when we ordered and I said we were splitting everything.) She left the soup, but no one had brought us any soup spoons. Once we got those it was a good soup, but would have rather it come either with the salad or between the salad and meal, not with my meal. Then they brought the steak back, before our side was ready. So, we didn't have them at the same time. Then the steak was a huge disappointment No seasoning! When the waiter asked I told him that, and he said okay and walked off. No apology, no reaction. Then upon leaving the valet was also a strange experience. As we waited in the cold for 10 minutes wondering where our car was, I noticed it on the side street. I guess they didn't want to go around the block, so pulled it on the side street (which is fine) but no one told us that is where they would bring it or came to get us when it arrived. So, overall, just a very unsatisfactory experience for such a supposed fine dining restaurant.
- Right Place, right time - again!TheTwoOfUsDined on 11/22/2014Capital Grille remains our "special" go to place once or twice a year. It is pricey but we get what we pay for, including food, service and atmosphere. The lobster bisque is always velvet smooth with the right amount of lobster meat. Special this evening was a "bone in" fillet mignon which added quite a bit of natural flavor to this tender cut. Left well satisfied, once again, feeling/seeing the energy of the lit up city outside while relaxing with good food and drink insideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebration!CynthiaDined on 11/21/2014We had THE BEST TIME EVER with our family at The Capital Grille. Everything was perfect. Thank you all so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foody23Dined on 11/21/2014The evening at the Capital Grille was terrific. The service was exceptional. We were going to a show after dinner, and the waiter was respectful of that, and made sure we received all courses in a timely fashion, and we wer not rushedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2014The food was very good but two things ruined a very expensive birthday celebration with our guests. The server didn't offer to tell of the specials. Said he was saving his voice. The guests surrounding us were so loud and intoxicated that we could not hear our own conversation. It wash very disappointing.
- 10 year engagement anniversaryLoverDined on 11/18/2014We got engaged here 10 years ago and we wanted to return to celebrate. Service was exceptional and the food was excellent. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion gemChristiaanDined on 11/13/2014Chose Capital grille for my 40th birthday dinner with my wife. Mentioned this in the reservation as I wanted a corner/quiet booth. The staff were amazingly friendly and accommodating so far as we each received a glass of champagne when we were seated, and a dessert...both complimentary. Numerous staff made it a point to come over and wish me a happy birthday. It was truly a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Not Worth ItJaymeVIPDined on 11/13/2014The main reason for the 2 star rating is price vs quality. The food is very expensive and simply not that good. I had a nice piece of fish for $43, but it was NOT exceptional, and nothing came with it. The sides were approximately $10 extra, each. The mashed potatoes were quite tasty but of a creamy-paste texture, leading me to think there was as much cream and butter in there as potatoes. The wild mushrooms side was actually special, so that one gets 5 stars from me. The two steaks I tasted from my companions were average at best. My husband could easily grill a $12 steak at home that would taste much better. The one cocktail I ordered was very weak. The service was good, but again, not exceptional. Nothing stood out as excellent except the mushrooms. I would never willingly go back.
- Good steak n wine list but priceybillreedredVIPDined on 11/10/2014Took customer here for dinner the service was very good with great expensive wines and steaksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- David was a great serverUSMCVIPDined on 11/10/2014Everyone was very pleasant and the atmosphere was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not awesomeAnonymousVIPDined on 11/1/2014Was not 100% happy with my steak. It came to my table and was over cooked. It was still good but given the price point, I was disappointed. Also ordered the brussel sprouts which were a bit bland. Dessert was good but overall, not sure I'd go back and spend this amount of money for just a "good" meal. I prefer some of the other steakhouse options in Charlotte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gammyVIPDined on 11/1/2014Another great dinner at Capital Grill especially with the bone-in filet. If you have not tried this new offering you must on your next visit. Best filet we ever had and we have had many.Special Features:
- Typical ExcellenceCharlesDined on 11/1/2014I found our experience typical of previous visits to Capital Grille. Service was excellent. Steaks cooked perfectly. Sides were great. Portions were generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect birthdayGrishamDined on 11/1/2014My husband LOVED his birthday dinner surprise. I LOVED the surprise if champaign and dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capital Grill virginsNu2QCDined on 10/25/2014my wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at the CG - what a great experience. At our festively decorated table were presented with a celebratory champagne toast by our waiter Steve, great touch! Being our first time at a CG we were pleasantly surprised by all the menu options as well as the daily specials and extensive wine list. We enjoyed a perfectly seasoned and cooked (rare) sirloin and the scallops - Steve helped us choose a wine that worked well with both entrees. After a leisurely dinner followed a dessert sampler and perfectly made cappuccino - a perfect way to end our dining experience. We will definitely be back, not just for our next anniversary but looking forward to making up a reason to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy visitorssheepndog683Dined on 10/24/2014We were visiting from San Francisco and we're looking for a steak house that had it all. The food was perfect, great service and a vibrant atmosphere. Steak houses can be staid and stuffy, this was grown up without being boring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grilled Rack of LambJamabreeze13VIPDined on 10/22/2014This was the best rack of lamb I ve had in quite some time. The cherry reduction did add a favor I have not experienced before but I did fall back on an old stand by... Horseradish fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special EveningDisappointedDined on 10/20/2014Everything about our experience at The Capital Grille was outstanding. The Server, David, was knowledgeable and extremely courteous. You knew he was there refreshing our wine on several occasions but his presence was never intrusive. We both had the bone-in Filet which was delicious. The lobster mac and cheese was excellent as were the brussel sprouts. The decor is elegant with dark wood throughout. The restaurant was crowded but the noise levels were such that a conversation with my companion was possible without raising our voices. It is expensive but well worth it for a special occasion. The Capital Grille was recommended to me by a friend and I would certainly do the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service = A+OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014The crab cakes are phenomenal! Capital Grille's cheesecake is the best I've ever had...it's so good. The wait staff is fantastic as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome steaksGreatfoodforfunDined on 10/18/2014Pathetic occasion was a birthday....they sprinkled the table with birthday confetti, took a picture and printed it for us...what a nice touch 😀Special Features:
- Excellent FoodSelPDined on 10/18/2014Went out for a fancy bachelorette dinner and the food was amazing. Service was a little slow but it was well worth the wait for the quality of food you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousBoonelocalDined on 10/15/2014This place was a bit pricey but the service was excellent and the steaks were impeccably tender and cooked to perfection. I would definitely recommend this place for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Impeccable service. Great food. Really made our anniversary a special nite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+++ all aroundPamelaDined on 10/12/2014We love the Capital Grille for special occasions. The dinner was superb! I had fillet which was perfectly cooked. We a shared side dishes of asparagus and mashed potatoes...so good! Be sure to try their Chocolate Hazelnut cake which is to die for, and so huge it can be shared by many!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/12/2014Love the bar area - a friendly, energetic vibe. The dining room is quiet and lovely but the Strip Steak and even the entree salad fell flat. Steaks just weren't as juicy and flavorful as expected. Service and welcoming staff couldn't have been nicer, but we were disappointed with the food.
- Always awesome!GigiVIPDined on 10/11/2014You can count on Capital Grille to deliver on all counts: food, service and atmosphere. My only observation is that the Caesar salad did not seem up to par....and I am a fanatic about Caesar salads....we had dinner at the location in Philadelphia recently and it was perfect, but this was not the best. Please give me nice dark green romaine, not the bottom of the leaves!! Otherwise, overall a great dining experience and we will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food and serviceKenkaylamomDined on 10/11/2014We were hesitant to dine at a chain but because the reviews were so good, we decided to go with a tried and true. Good decision on out part. My husband and I both had the Petit Filet Mignon Trio special. 3 small steak all prepared with a different sauce, melt in your mouth flavor! The lobster mac n cheese is a must with it's huge chunks of fresh lobster and the scalloped potatoes were cheesy and creamy. The service is impeccable and felt very personal. If you want excellent food and service away from the trendy crowd, eat here. You can always head to the Charlotte bar scene after dinner.Special Features:
- A great way to celebratefinedineVIPDined on 10/11/2014Capitol Grill is always a great dining experience for us. They food is terrific and the service was top notch. We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary there and they really did a nice job with making it be a special occasion. Our servers were the best.Special Features:
- Always a great meal and atmosphereCLTFoodieVIPDined on 10/10/2014We ate at the bar which we usually prefer. The bartenders are very welcoming and provide great service. Excellent steaks and lobster bisque. Good wines by the glass. The atmosphere is excellent - solid, classy bar; ample seating around the bar area.Special Features:
- Open Table AppBirthdaygirlDined on 10/10/2014Open Table App easy and convenient. Able to make reservation quickly and to make restaurant aware of special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2littleDined on 10/7/2014Our server was OK at the start but services were changed mid-meal and the new server was not very attentive. I ordered the Chilean Sea Bass and got a "Medallion" of fish, two, maybe three bites. For this I paid $42. Our total bill exceeded $500 for six people.. For this we should have had a fabulous memory. Instead, it will be a disappointing memory.
- Great Lobster Bisque AWESOMECelebrateVIPDined on 10/3/2014The Capital Grille has the BEST Lobster bisque. Huge chucks of lobster! My must have every visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014My husband wanted to take me somewhere special for our anniversary but we didn't mention it when we made our reservations. When our waiter saw us exchanging cards he asked if it was a special occasion and we told him it was out anniversary. He congratulated us and when we declined desert-we were both full from the wonderful meal we'd had-he boxed us up a piece of exquisite chocolate cake for later. It was as good as the main meal. Capital Grille is always wonderful. As we were leaving the hostess and manager on duty also wished us a happy anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/23/2014Always a 5 star experience. The food wine service and ambience are always top notchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oldman68Dined on 9/23/2014One of the top spots in Charlotte. Old time elegance and charm, great service and food.Special Features:
- Wonderful Eveningjc2sheDined on 9/19/2014We enjoyed a wonderful evening at the Capital Grille and Charlotte Symphony. Excellent food and service by most professional staff in Charlotte. Thank you very much !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014The steak was exceptional. The wait staff was very attentive. They helped create a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Town!Fish4LifeDined on 9/17/2014From the friendly reservation associates to the waiter and assistant waiter, the service was impeccable. Warm welcome and appropriate attention, not to much, not to little, just right. Food was over the top delicious across all items. Definitely recommend to all!Special Features: