The Capital Grille - Charlotte
201 North Tryon Street
Charlotte, NC 28202Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Charlotte
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 7043481400x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Daniel Frier
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Special Events: For group dining or other special events, please contact the Sales Manager today.
A word from The Capital Grille - Charlotte
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business meeting, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Located in the heart of the Uptown Financial District just blocks from the Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte Convention Center, and Time Warner Cable Arena.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Capital Grille - Charlotte - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
The Capital Grille - Charlotte reviews from OpenTable diners
248 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (212)notable wine list (139)romantic (138)fit for foodies (77)good for groups (57)vibrant bar scene (51)great for lunch (41)hot spot (33)great for outdoor dining (25)neighborhood gem (24)late-night find (16)great for brunch (12)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Wife's BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014This was the second visit to Capital Grille for my wife and I. It was my wife's birthday and I wanted the evening to be rememberable. Everyone was very cognizant of the fact that it was her birthday and everyone we came in contact with gave happy birthday wishes. Sherry provided excellent service throughout the evening as did the maître d. Food was fantastic!!! Needless to say the evening was FANTASTIC! We will definitely dine here again and again. Thank you Capital Grille for an evening to remember!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BartenderOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2014A good solid steakhouse experience. Paul the bartender does a great job handling the busy bar while being personable. Once seated and served, the server tried to remove food from the table before my guest had finished his meal. He reached for the plate, then he asked if the guest is finished eating. He actually had his hand on the plate the first time. Also, required a call back to confirm OT reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Consistant!!BobHoffmanVIPDined on 9/15/2014My partner and I went to Capital Grille for our 15 year anniversary and as always we were blown away by the service, staff and the food. We can always count on a fantastic experience every time we go. Thank you for everything and for making our anniversary so special.Special Features:
- Superb in every way!!!henyVIPDined on 9/12/2014We ate there for lunch today to celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary. It far exceeded our expectations in every way. The food was delicious, the ambiance was stately and warm, but most remarkable was the service. We have not experienced anything on it's level here in Charlotte, and we've lived here for over 14 yrs. From the moment we walked in, we were treated like royalty. Everyone was so polite and attentive. I cannot say enough positive things about our dining experience here. We will definitely come back and highly recommend it!!Special Features:
- Great Steak Salads!tweety08VIPDined on 9/11/2014We had 3 adults and 3 children and a booth with 2 chairs was perfect. Antonio and his staff did a superb job in making us feel at ease and catered to our every need - such as extra cheese for the pasta. The southwest steak salad was delicious and had just enough zing! The steak greek salad was also wonderful as was the lobster salad. The kids enjoyed the chicken fingers and pasta and all enjoyed the creme brulee and the coconut cream pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK experiencelakerman49Dined on 9/10/2014Waitstaff very attentive and helpful. Waiter had good suggestions and recognized that we were celebrating a birthday. main courses -- filet mignon and salmon were cooked to perfection and of fine quality. Appertizers were good but average. Overall, however, overpriced compared to other steakhouses, such as Epic Chophouse. Had I not had a $50 gift certificate probably woulnt not go there.Special Features:
- LorenzoBigticketDined on 9/7/2014The food and service was great .......Nice wine list ..Special Features:
- Can't Go Wrong!absolutetpVIPDined on 9/1/2014My wife and I went here for our anniversary dinner. It was a very good dinner. We decided to try their seafood and it was great. I got the halibut special over lobster risotto and my wife got the salmon. We did have the steak tartare for an appetizer which was fantastic. Definitely a great dining experience. Can't go wrong with this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True surpriseMgvetteDined on 8/30/2014When dining uptown we had considered The Capital Grille on several occasions and ended up opting for other restaurants. This time we decided to try it and werer delighted to find it was definitely not over rated. We mentioned we were celebrating a special occasion and when we were seated found red hearts on the tablecloth and were immediately brought complimentary glasses of champagne. We chose the generous pour wine tasting and very pleased with the wine selections and the pours! Our waited Peter Karas was extremely attentive and his service was top notch. The food was outstanding and worth every penny. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great steak...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/30/2014This was only my second visit, so take that for what's it's worth. The steak, as last time was very good. However, as in my first visit, their appetizers and salads were good, not memorable…hence the 3 star on the food. Service was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better in Baltimore?sevcoopVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our previous experience with Capital Grille occurred in Baltimore, and we were wowed by the service and solicitous treatment. But contrary to our experience there (and several reviews here) we were not asked if our visit was for a special occasion. It was. We were not offered complimentary dessert or champagne (which we had been given in Baltimore on an anniversary). The steaks were fantastic, but the crabmeat on my filet oscar was not fresh and had a distinct aftertaste; I did not finish it. All others (5) enjoyed their meals. However, for the price and reputation, I expected more. Still enjoy the Capital Grille - just not on this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As expected--deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/29/2014Very consistent, no matter the location. Definitely out favorite of all the steakhouse chains.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent!Aloha2uDined on 8/29/2014The Capital Grill routinely blows me away with sumptuous food, excellent service, and a menu that will work for all types of diet restrictions and preferences. Add in a great wine list and The Best dirty martinis with blue cheese stuffed olives - simply sublime.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerJerryDined on 8/27/2014Mentioned that we were celebrating our anniversary, and we were treated to a nice dessert surprise.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC SERVICEThauserVIPDined on 8/24/2014SOME OF THE BEST SERVICE WE COULD EVER ASK FOR! GREAT EXPERIENCE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreedyDined on 8/24/2014I love The Caoital Grille Charlotte, they made my birthday special.Special Features:
- A Wonderful ExperienceCatherineVIPDined on 8/23/2014Made reservations via OpenTable for Capital Grille after receiving a generous gift certificate for the restaurant. We arrived and opted to wait until our reservation time (we were 10 mins early) for a quieter choice of seating. Once sat, our waitstaff was completely on point. Jim introduced himself to us first, but it was Rebecca who was our go-to person for anything we needed. This was our first time doing the "Generous Pour" event and Rebecca helped us quickly find out favorites. The food was marvelous, best I've had at any high end restaurant in Charlotte. They truly were generous with the pours as well! Rebecca's service was stand-out, and deserves special recognition. She has the ultimate "tableside" manner. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TandJ2dineDined on 8/23/2014The food was wonderful and the service excellent. A perfect spot to celebrate an anniversary.Special Features:
- Anniversary MealOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/20/2014What a great meal we had. After mentioning to our waiter that the evening was our 31st anniversary, he escorted us to a special table, gave us a special appetizer, champagne for both of us, and finished the meal with a lovely dessert, all at no charge. the meal and service were outstanding and reminded me why we love to go to Capitol Grille for our anniversary.Special Features:
- Back for another Generous PourFoodiesMom1Dined on 8/19/2014My sister was in town for a night and we went for the Generous Pour. It was the first time for her and she enjoyed it. She had the lamb chops and I had the Chef's special which was the salmon. The seasoning was wonderful. You can tell by the number of reviews that I write on Capitol Grille that this is one of my favorite places.Special Features:
- Good timeslafletchDined on 8/19/2014Always enjoy stopping into Capital Grille for a nice dinner. The staff is always helpful and friendlySpecial Features:
- Just a great spot in generalEWFoodieDined on 8/16/2014If you like red meat, this is the place for you. The dry aged steaks, the delicious sides, and the service are great. Waitstaff seems very informative and knowledgeable on all of the different processes involved with food prep as well as the different wines, where they come from, etc... Definitely a must if you're in Charlotte. The only caveat to my review is: I'd stay away from the bar. Do pre/post dinner drinks somewhere else.Special Features:
- FantasticLuvfoodDined on 8/16/2014We brought our friends here to celebrate a special birthday. Capital Grille went out of their way to make it a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five stars and beyondfoodisloveDined on 8/15/2014This restaurant, although pricey, absolutely worth every single cent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar Lunch PlaceKathyfromChiTownDined on 8/12/2014From the hostess to the waiters, this is a classy restaurant. If you want to impress your clients, this is a place to go. Not only are the staff impressive, but the food is as well. From the specialty salads, to the lobster/crab sandwich, you won't be disappointed. We even opted for dessert and shared the chocolate cake - unless you have a big appetite I wouldn't recommend ordering for just one. The cake is huge and is to die for. Also, kudos to our waiter, Josh, who made our experience memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Enjoy Cap GrilleFoodiesMom1Dined on 8/11/2014This time we went for the Generous Pour and it is Generous! As always the food was delicious and the service excellent.Special Features:
- Great dining spot!GigiVIPDined on 8/9/2014So I have to admit I am TOTALLY addicted to their calamari appetizer...it is so delicious!! Food is always outstanding, wait staff and bartenders are always on top of their game and the setting is beautiful. What's not to love? Nothing...that's what keeps us going back for more!! I'm craving calamari writing this! Paul is an excellent bartender and made sure to bring me a cheesecake dessert for my birthday. Just overall a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- Quality SlippingFoodie73Dined on 8/9/2014The Capital Grille has been our restaurant of choice for special occasions for years. The food and service have always been superb until this visit. Everything was more along the lines of satisfactory, which is not what I want when I'm paying $200 for a meal. Our meal took an extremely long time to arrive, my husband's steak was overcooked, and my steak was average. I order the same steak every time and usually swoon over how delicious it is. It seems like the quality of the cuts of meat are not up to par and then the preparation of them isn't being handled well either. Service was also fine, but missing some of the finesse and finer touches usually provided. I really hope this was an isolated incident and not the new standard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOlivejuiceDined on 8/8/2014This was my first time at The Capital Grille and the food was amazing, the service was excellent and the complimentary birthday dessert was a nice surprise! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual1lakeguyDined on 8/1/2014My 1st choice in Charlotte for lunch or dinner. Always a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the BestFullysatisfied14Dined on 7/28/2014The CG is really the best dining experience available! The food, service and ambience is unrivaled. The high price is equivalent to its high value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Queens FeastFeastDined on 7/27/2014Our experience at Capital Grille was notable. The food selections for the Queen's feast were admirable, three steaks, one fish, one chicken entrees were offered. Our server , David, was one of the best. He was attentive to every detail, he knew "his menu" exceptionally well, provided good suggestions, and, was extremely pleasant and considerate through-out our meal. The wine selections are outstanding, so if you have a desire the Capital Grille should be able to meet or exceed expectations. Dessert was well prepared and a nice size to top off our meal. We shall definitely return to the Capital Grille in our future dining out plans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CG ROCKS!DinerDined on 7/26/2014Had a nice romantic dinner at the CG. Food was excellent and although crowded, service shined. Have never had a bad experience there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Queens Feast a bust!CharlottefoodieDined on 7/26/2014I am disappointed with the food served during the "Queens Feast" in Charlotte. It seems they downgraded to fit the prices for this event! Isn't the menu and dinner served suppose to reflect the best of what a restaurant can do!. The shrimp on the upgraded menu tasted like brine, must have soaked all day in salt water. The desert was a small cookie sized cheesecake, although tasty it was to small. The steak was overcooked, but the service was fabulous. My ratings were based on the food not the service.Special Features:
- outstanding serviceNCFoodieGalDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I went here to celebrate my birthday, what a great choice. The service was amazing and the food was very good. Their attention to detail for birthdays and service in general is excellent. the creme brulee was amazing, the filet was very good and the mashed potatoes, wow yummy! When you're done enjoying an excellent meal you can walk down the street to the epicenter and partake in a vast array of entertainment available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!Billy4AngelDined on 7/26/2014Our evening at The Capital Grille was everything we thought it would be, and more. The food and service were superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening on the townFoodiesinloveDined on 7/26/2014The food was good, but the reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5 is because it seemed basic steak, salad, veggie. There was nothing so outstanding that I would just absolutely have to go back. The service was almost too much. Maybe because it was restaurant week. It seems they were getting people in and out too quickly. Although our server was very nice it made me uncomfortable that he kept coming over behind me to do something. We have dined at other very nice restaurants like Ruth Chris and Charleston Grille and I really enjoyed those and didn't feel over attended. I just felt rushed and uncomfortable. Also there was not much of a choice for sides. We were given green beans and mashed potatoes. It was not outstanding in taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ratedEx2135Dined on 7/25/2014They just weren't everything I expected ! My last visit was much better but that was over a year ago and this time everything was just blah ....Special Features:
- Excellent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2014I had the 8 oz filet - cooked to perfection, would recommend to anyone looking for a great steak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reataurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Our food was great! Best steak I've ever had (had the filet). The server however seemed less than pleased when we opted for the restaurant week menu and was kind of short with us after that. But the food was delicious and we had a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.