The Capital Grille - Austin
117 Fourth Street
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
The Capital Grille - Austin
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: 5123222005x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brent Jaeger
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: You are cordially invited to join us in the lounge every Wednesday through Saturday to enjoy live music. For a schedule of upcoming entertainment, please call us at 512-322-2005. We look forward to seeing you soon.
A word from The Capital Grille - Austin
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you'll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their "Achievement of Excellence Award." Whether you're celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with - a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Live music in our lounge Wednesday-Saturday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
The Capital Grille - Austin - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Capital Grille - Austin reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (77)romantic (58)notable wine list (54)fit for foodies (38)good for groups (30)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (16)great for lunch (11)neighborhood gem (6)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Not as Great as ExpectedDallasdinerVIPDined on 9/20/2014I've visited Capital Gills in Dallas, Plano, Ft Worth, and Seattle..I was excited to try the newest one in Austin. Unfortunately there was a big let down in service. I'll say, the food was still great...my primary issue is with service...and really it was simple things that made big differences. Not enough room to go into detail, but water spilled on my dining partner with just barely an apology, BOTH steaks came out wrong, one was wrong on purpose because server and chef thought I would like it better!? Overall, this was a big miss. I hate to say it but Austin Capital Grill needs some major improvements.
- Client meeting - will not return!ClientDinnerDined on 9/15/2014My boss entertained a client and partner at your restaurant. Unfortunately the client mentioned that he was not that impressed with the steaks and would prefer to go Eddie V's, Three Forks or Perry's next time. Direct responses from my boss are as follows: Steaks and lamb overlooked; lobster a little tough; sides dishes were mediocre; Bread was excellent; service was attentive and friendly enough. Another party attending commented that the waiter was very good.
- Delicious food.susiekaratVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great server. Great ambiance. Delicious food great jazz band in the bar. Recommend and will go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent nightFernandoDined on 9/12/2014Had a great time, 4 of us, Dan N. did a great job. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ATXAceGirlDined on 9/10/2014Service was exceptional! The lobster Mac and cheese is a must try. Even though we didn't order dessert they brought us a little sampler plate complimentary to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Outstanding - friendly high quality staff, attentive management, awesome food... we have a new #1 in Austin.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Sat in the corner with just bread and water refills for half an hour before we finally got a server. Food and drinks were fine, but nothing special compared to comparable steak houses down town.
- Wow great service, food & wineDisappointedVIPDined on 9/5/2014You have to try out the Capital Grille. I have been to other locations but the Austin location takes the cake! It is one of the best restaurants I have eaten at in Austin. I will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blown away by food and serviceAustinFoodieDined on 9/5/2014I couldn't have asked for a more perfect dining experience. Both the food and service were outstanding. Thank you Ron for making our dining experience one to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good...ATXwinoVIPDined on 8/31/2014A great remodel of the building, and the ambiance and finish-out are outstanding - it's a beautiful restaurant. The service was impeccable except that the wine I ordered was a 2003, but the server brought out a 2008. The wine list says that bottle is a 2003 but they're out of that vintage - and this was a surprise to the sommelier. Our food was good, though I wouldn't order a steak with the Kona crust again - it's overpowering and you lose any taste of the steak. I'm definitely a purist when it comes to steaks - give me a very rare piece of prime meat with only salt and pepper so I can taste the steak! It was a decent experience but I've been much happier with Ruth's Chris and Bob's, where we dine often. Not sure if we'll be back...Special Features:
- Great experienceChusterDined on 8/29/2014Celebrated my daughters birthday. Enjoyed the service and foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidRobertDined on 8/26/2014The Capital Grille is an excellent choice for business lunches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Dan is the Man!AmylouVIPDined on 8/23/2014Talk about a great dining experience! We had dinner Saturday evening with Big Dan Neves as our server along with Helper Jose. To say he is the consummate professional is an understatement. Our steaks were perfectly prepared and served, and crowned with special touches along the way. My hubby and our guests enjoyed the Endless Pour wine flights (I was the Designated Driver) and haven't stopped talking about it since. Wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014OMG! This place is awesome! It was out first time to a Capital Grille and we will be back! Chris was out waiter and he was fantastic! Management take note! He deserves a shout out at your next pre-service meeting. He was knowledgeable and entertaining. He knew when to approach the table and when to leave us alone. Knew exactly how to describe a Grappa to my wife. I had the Kona rubbed bone-in dry aged New York! Unbelievable! Our friend had the Remantico (something like that) and my wife had the filet. All awesome. The cream of corn was ok and the Lobster Mac-n-cheese was great! We will be back very soon!Special Features:
- Very averageAustindiner56Dined on 8/20/2014Decent food, but nothing to write home about. Steak was over-cooked. Sea bass was good. Service inattentive even though restaurant was not busy.Special Features:
- Work in progressMountainBoyVIPDined on 8/15/2014Service is outstanding. Food was above average but not exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing minus the serviceluv2brunchVIPDined on 8/10/2014We went for my mom's 60th pre-birthday dinner with family. When we arrived this time, we constantly had to ask our server to remove glasses, to not rushing us and drink orders. My parents ordered their wine, I had to ask 12 minutes later to where is their wine. She replied oh I didn't know if they wanted a bottle or a glass. When she gave out the first taste of the wine to not only my parents but also my cousin, she would give a taste and then put the bottle on the table. never filled a glass. Everyone at the table were very upset with our service and I had several people want to get up to ask for a new server. I was hoping that she would turn it around but it just kept getting worse. Great food, great atmosphere, horrible service.Special Features:
- Great!ZenaDined on 8/9/2014We had a wonderful meal. The service was fantastic! The wine was perfect, the filet was delicious and cooked perfectly and creme brûlée was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive, but worth it for a treatSailorsarahDined on 8/7/2014The wait staff was the best, willing to do whatever was needed to make us happy. The steaks are amazing, try the one encrusted with kona coffee! Plus four words: lobster macaroni and cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!KristenDined on 8/7/2014Had my birthday dinner here. Couldn't have been better. From a hand written note, to complimentary birthday champagne, to the wonderful wait staff who made great recommendations and sponge pictures to remember the evening! I highly recommend you check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodMidlandVIPDined on 8/3/2014Always the same.....good. Filet and sea bass were wonderful. Great ambience. Try the calamari and peppers starter...always a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/2/2014Prior to eating here, I only read reviews about it. Let me just say, the reviews didn't do it justice. From the time we walked in, until the time we walked out, the dining experience was exceptional. The staff was more than friendly and courteous, and made sure our dinner was perfect. The wine list was extensive, yet affordable, and the lobster mac and cheese....HEAVEN. If you get the chance to dine here, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/1/2014Our server was absolutely amazing. The "generous pour" wine promotion was a real bargain. Would totally go again!
- Great lobster mac and cheese.ZanettiDined on 8/1/2014Food was very good - the lobster mac and cheese side was excellent. We would happily have settled for that alone it was that good. The restaurant has a good wine list at reasonable prices. Slightly pretentious waiting staff spoil it a little, but only a little.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2014Great food , atmosphere and waiter was excellent. We enjoyed the generous pour wine sampler special which was a collection of delicious wines and bottomless pour of any one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medium steak burnt crispannieDined on 7/29/2014Beautiful decor, wait staff was very nice. $10 valet parking. Had reservations & were seated immediatley. The website does not list prices on menu. Steaks & seafood are upper $40's & up, salad & vegie's are separate costs - very typical of upscale steak house. I ordered filet mignon medium, I got a filet mignon well - burnt crisp. By the time my waiter brought me a medium steak, everyone had finished their steak since they were getting cold (at my insistence). It took a VERY long time to get the corrected steak & it was cooked perfectly. They were apologetic but did not comp anything. Won't go back. Too much money to have a steak cooked so incorrectly - not even a little close. Too many upscale steak houses in Austin to return there.Special Features:
- Loved it.PatrickDined on 7/26/2014Great steaks and friendly service. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WONDERFULnot2welcomeDined on 7/25/2014Might be the best steak we have ever had. The crab cake was great as well. We split an appetizer, a salad, and the porterhouse, and still took food home. My husband said he had jello that was tougher than the steak. Incredible flavor. Outstanding service.Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderfulthewholewideworldDined on 7/24/2014Really great meal, and the service shines. Food was delicious- we got the steak and lobster tail, and really delicious lobster mac and cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More of the same.NobodyDined on 7/23/2014There is hardly any difference between Capital Grille and every other big corporate chain streak house in America. They all look the same, have the same food, and cater to the expense-account and convention crowd. They crow about their master sommelier, when in fact the wine list is nothing special, consisting of generally-known wines available anywhere. The menu is posted on line, without prices--not user-friendly. The wine list is not posted online. One cannot make a reservation online without giving phone number and email. I am NOT giving them my email! Finally, for all the supposedly over-the-top elegant club atmosphere, at the table next to us sat a man wearing shorts, T-shirt and flip flops. Really?
- Why even make a reservationAtxfoodieDined on 7/19/2014We had a business dinner set for 8:30. We arrived at 8:20 and the hostess stated we would be seated by 8:30....30 minutes later we were still waiting in the foyer with no follow up from them. It wasn't until we went up to the stand and asked and they said oh just 5 more minutes. We were seated around 9:05, 35 minutes past our reservation time. Frustrating. Food was great, though and our waitress was very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly ExceptionalCasualDineVIPDined on 7/18/2014While I mostly shy away from "chain" restaurants, Capital Grille is an exception. I recently moved from Denver where Capital Grille was a regular stop for us. The 5 star service we ALWAYS received kept us coming back again and again. I was tentative about going in Austin on the chance that it didn't "live up" to our previous experiences. That concern was quickly put to rest. I was pleasantly amazed at the service and care we received. I will keep coming back again and again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumDelishDined on 7/18/2014Service was absolutely perfect! All the food was great but just missing one little thing, can't tell you what but something. Would I go back, yes! Just felt it was pricey and the great but not amazing for the price. Though I would say the French onion soup was amazing!Special Features:
- Capital Grille AustinIdwtgiDined on 7/12/2014Excellent service; wonderful food. Cheesecake was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Steak RestaurantErikVIPDined on 7/10/2014Great appetizers, steaks, wine and service. Even though this is part of a larger chain, the restaurant is excellent. It is expensive but worth it if you like great steaks. We enjoyed the 7 different wine tasting from the Kendall-Jackson collection of wineries for $25. We had terrific service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatGreatDined on 7/8/2014Our server, Chris was just fantastic as was the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMGJustinDined on 7/6/2014I love good food and good service and I'm skeptical of some chains but Capital Grille is the real deal. The food was amazing with great flavors and great quality of meats. The onion soup had the most rich beef flavor I have had in a while and the steaks were flavorful and tender with out resorting to just coating them in butter as some do. Service was perfecly pleasent and attentive with out crossing over into hovering or unprofessionalism.Special Features:
- Cooked MeatsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/5/2014Finally! A steak place in Austin that doesn't overcook your meats. Good service, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DonaldDined on 7/1/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our oysters, steak, vegies and wine. Our waiter was excellent, the wine list is extensive and the food was very good with a fine presentation.Special Features:
- Excellent Dinner!!!RudeDined on 6/28/2014Celebrated my Birthday here and had a great experience! Our Waitress was Kat who took excellent care of us. The table had birthday confetti on it and a birthday card. They brought ours a glass of champagne to start with and then we both had cocktails which were excellent. Appetizers were delicious and the steak was the best I have had in a very long time. They even brought us piece of flour-less chocolate cake for dessert which was awesome! The service was great! The food was delicious! We will definitely be going back!Special Features: