The Capital Grille - Austin
117 Fourth Street
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
The Capital Grille - Austin
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/
- Phone: (512) 322-2005
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brent Jaeger
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: You are cordially invited to join us in the lounge every Wednesday through Saturday to enjoy live music. For a schedule of upcoming entertainment, please call us at 512-322-2005. We look forward to seeing you soon.
A word from The Capital Grille - Austin
You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you'll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their "Achievement of Excellence Award." Whether you're celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with - a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Live music in our lounge Wednesday-Saturday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
The Capital Grille - Austin - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Capital Grille - Austin reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (77)notable wine list (60)romantic (57)fit for foodies (40)good for groups (37)vibrant bar scene (22)hot spot (10)great for lunch (8)late-night find (8)neighborhood gem (5)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Outstanding experience with fantastic serviceOutstandingVIPDined on 11/22/2014I took my parents here for a recent celebration. I've been to other Capital Grilles in the past but this one exceeded expectations! The décor is warm and comfortable and this feels like an Austin institution and not part of a multi unit concept. From our initial greeting to our last goodbye we were welcomed in a warm yet professional manner. Bryan was our server and we were attended to in a wonderful manner without hovering service. The attention to detail and table maintenance was A+. The quality of the food was fantastic. I've run and owned restaurants for 20 years and knew that we were receiving top quality; especially in the dry ages steaks. Thank you for a wonderful time. I'll be back next time I'm visiting home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion Date NightDinnerAndShowDined on 11/15/2014A great addition to our list of restaurants for those special occasions. The food, service, and ambiance was perfect. I had the Sea Bass and it was prepared and cooked to perfection. The tasting samples provided by our waiter was a real nice touch. The whole wait staff was attentive and friendly. The overall bill puts this out of reach for an anytime restaurant for us but we definitely will be back to celebrate special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was fabulous!LuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 11/14/2014My third time dinning here. The food, service and ambiance was fabulous! A true place for special occasions. They do a very nice job making you feel special if you are celebrating a special occasion. You need to tell them ahead of time and they will make it special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better the second time...ATXwinoVIPDined on 11/14/2014This was our second time at the restaurant. I'm not fond of the sauces and such they try to put on their steaks, so I ordered the Sea Bass, and it was delicious. The wine list is good, if a little over-priced. It's now on an iPad as opposed to a traditional wine list, which has both pros and cons. And of course, the bottle I chose they didn't have - had this same problem last time but with a different bottle!... All in all, a very good restaurant worthy of being one of the handful of high-end steakhouses in Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodAwesomeDined on 11/9/2014The steak was amazing and It was my first poterhouse steak and enjoyed the service of the whole staff. Everyone is very friendly . I will be going there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent .DellTeamDinnerDined on 11/5/2014Waiter, Chris Ward was very professional.... definitely go with his recommendationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine DinnerCardHornDined on 11/2/2014We were very happy with our experience at Capital Grille, and will definitely go back. The food was excellent, and the portion sizes for the soups, salads, sides, and desserts were very generous! The "30 bottles of wine for $30" is fantastic! We chose an Italian wine for $30 that was every bit as good as wines we've had at other restaurants for twice the price or more. Kelly and staff gave us top notch service.Special Features:
- Friendly staff!ServiceDined on 10/31/2014The food was good, but services was the star of the night. The staff seamed to enjoy beeing helpfull. The location is great, we were in Austin for the F1 Fan Fest and this restaurant is just there.Special Features:
- One of the best steaks in townAustindiner56Dined on 10/29/2014We highly recommend the aged rib eye steak. It was delicious and prepared perfectly. Awesome and attentive wait staff.Special Features:
- Group NightZKnowsDined on 10/25/2014The service was perfect. We had a group of 15 and that night was special. Everyone was relaxed. Steak was the best I have had far better than lots of places in Austin. Side dishes were fit for a king. We and a couple of bottles of wineand the selection was grand. They as requested prepared a special dessert strawberry flambe. This is a great find! Finally a place that understands fine dining in a relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific 65thslk1818Dined on 10/24/2014fantastic company. really celebrated with me and had lots of surprises from the Grill.Special Features:
- Awesome!JimmyCVIPDined on 10/17/2014Fabulous evening with friends! Great food, service, atmosphere and very accommodating hostesses! We will be back soon with more friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakwinberiesVIPDined on 10/17/2014the capital grille overall was great. the food was excellent. It is expensive so its a special occasion restaurant for me. the service was really good up till the actual meal. Richard was our waiter and was very good. the manager came over to check on us when i guess she realized our main course wasn't out yet. she apologized for the wait and said she would not charge us for the 80.00 bottle of wine we had ordered. i didn't even complain about the wait because we were enjoying the wine and digesting our 2 appetizers and drinking the wine. i thought that was very generous of them to do that without even a complaint. there were private dinners going on and all the orders hit at once which was the reason. overall service was fantastic.Special Features:
- Excellent, as always!RaineVIPDined on 10/8/2014We were a party of NINE on Wednesday night and the CG wait staff handled it like a dream! Never disappointed!Special Features:
- Great First VisitLive2eatVIPDined on 10/8/2014We were pleasantly surprised at the impeccable service provided by their waitstaff. Our waiter, Clarence was extremely knowledgeable and made some excellent recommendations. We had their Chilean Sea Bass with Heirloom tomatoes which was beautifully done and Dry Aged Steak au Poivre with Courvoiseur cream, both of which tasted amazing. Regrettably, their Coconut Cream Pie was a disappointment. The crust was more like a small cake-y base piled high with whipped cream sprinkled with toasted coconut and very little coconut cream although the large piece of coconut wafer was pretty good. That's one dessert I won't order again. No complaints with their Fresh Seasonal Berries in Vanilla Cream that my husband ordered.Special Features:
- A new steakhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014We wen there for the steaks and found they really do seafood very well. The steaks were very good, the crab cakes some of the best we've had.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/3/2014High quality entrees. Service was extraordinary. Wine list and pairing were excellent. Will recommend to colleagues.Special Features:
- Dinnerbill57kathyVIPDined on 10/2/2014Dinner was great. The server was excellent in providing for our needs on a timely basis. Food came out on time and wine was served as we had requested. It was a great experience and what I have come to expect from Capital GrilleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good foodJennHVIPDined on 10/2/2014I love the Capital Grille. Normally, everything is perfect. This time, I asked for my steak to be cooked medium, but it came out medium rare. They took it back to the kitchen to cook a little longer. Steaks are never as good if you put them back on the grill after you've cut into them. I wish they had just cooked a new one. Either way, the service was excellent and our waiter was very helpful with the wine menu. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as Great as ExpectedDallasdinerVIPDined on 9/20/2014I've visited Capital Gills in Dallas, Plano, Ft Worth, and Seattle..I was excited to try the newest one in Austin. Unfortunately there was a big let down in service. I'll say, the food was still great...my primary issue is with service...and really it was simple things that made big differences. Not enough room to go into detail, but water spilled on my dining partner with just barely an apology, BOTH steaks came out wrong, one was wrong on purpose because server and chef thought I would like it better!? Overall, this was a big miss. I hate to say it but Austin Capital Grill needs some major improvements.
- Client meeting - will not return!ClientDinnerDined on 9/15/2014My boss entertained a client and partner at your restaurant. Unfortunately the client mentioned that he was not that impressed with the steaks and would prefer to go Eddie V's, Three Forks or Perry's next time. Direct responses from my boss are as follows: Steaks and lamb overlooked; lobster a little tough; sides dishes were mediocre; Bread was excellent; service was attentive and friendly enough. Another party attending commented that the waiter was very good.
- Delicious food.susiekaratVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great server. Great ambiance. Delicious food great jazz band in the bar. Recommend and will go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent nightFernandoDined on 9/12/2014Had a great time, 4 of us, Dan N. did a great job. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ATXAceGirlVIPDined on 9/10/2014Service was exceptional! The lobster Mac and cheese is a must try. Even though we didn't order dessert they brought us a little sampler plate complimentary to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014Outstanding - friendly high quality staff, attentive management, awesome food... we have a new #1 in Austin.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014Sat in the corner with just bread and water refills for half an hour before we finally got a server. Food and drinks were fine, but nothing special compared to comparable steak houses down town.
- Wow great service, food & wineDisappointedVIPDined on 9/5/2014You have to try out the Capital Grille. I have been to other locations but the Austin location takes the cake! It is one of the best restaurants I have eaten at in Austin. I will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blown away by food and serviceAustinFoodieDined on 9/5/2014I couldn't have asked for a more perfect dining experience. Both the food and service were outstanding. Thank you Ron for making our dining experience one to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good...ATXwinoVIPDined on 8/31/2014A great remodel of the building, and the ambiance and finish-out are outstanding - it's a beautiful restaurant. The service was impeccable except that the wine I ordered was a 2003, but the server brought out a 2008. The wine list says that bottle is a 2003 but they're out of that vintage - and this was a surprise to the sommelier. Our food was good, though I wouldn't order a steak with the Kona crust again - it's overpowering and you lose any taste of the steak. I'm definitely a purist when it comes to steaks - give me a very rare piece of prime meat with only salt and pepper so I can taste the steak! It was a decent experience but I've been much happier with Ruth's Chris and Bob's, where we dine often. Not sure if we'll be back...Special Features:
- Great experienceChusterDined on 8/29/2014Celebrated my daughters birthday. Enjoyed the service and foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidRobertDined on 8/26/2014The Capital Grille is an excellent choice for business lunches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Dan is the Man!AmylouVIPDined on 8/23/2014Talk about a great dining experience! We had dinner Saturday evening with Big Dan Neves as our server along with Helper Jose. To say he is the consummate professional is an understatement. Our steaks were perfectly prepared and served, and crowned with special touches along the way. My hubby and our guests enjoyed the Endless Pour wine flights (I was the Designated Driver) and haven't stopped talking about it since. Wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014OMG! This place is awesome! It was out first time to a Capital Grille and we will be back! Chris was out waiter and he was fantastic! Management take note! He deserves a shout out at your next pre-service meeting. He was knowledgeable and entertaining. He knew when to approach the table and when to leave us alone. Knew exactly how to describe a Grappa to my wife. I had the Kona rubbed bone-in dry aged New York! Unbelievable! Our friend had the Remantico (something like that) and my wife had the filet. All awesome. The cream of corn was ok and the Lobster Mac-n-cheese was great! We will be back very soon!Special Features:
- Very averageAustindiner56Dined on 8/20/2014Decent food, but nothing to write home about. Steak was over-cooked. Sea bass was good. Service inattentive even though restaurant was not busy.Special Features:
- Gave Cappy Grille a Try in AustinhugenymetsfanVIPDined on 8/19/2014First off, I will say that I LOVE Capital Grille! We live in the Washington, DC area, and it is easily our favorite restaurant to visit for special occasions. That said, the Capital Grille had just opened in Austin. I was there to visit clients, and I decided to take them to the new location. Well, I guess kinks were still being worked out, because the service was spotty. Definitely not what I have come to expect at this signature restaurant. The food was good, but was a bit disappointed that the steaks were a bit "off". Not sure if it was the toppings (I got the Kona rub) or exactly what it was, but it was not what I am used to; again, could be the rub that I don't always get or it could be that the kitchen is still getting underway.
- Work in progressMountainBoyVIPDined on 8/15/2014Service is outstanding. Food was above average but not exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing minus the serviceluv2brunchVIPDined on 8/10/2014We went for my mom's 60th pre-birthday dinner with family. When we arrived this time, we constantly had to ask our server to remove glasses, to not rushing us and drink orders. My parents ordered their wine, I had to ask 12 minutes later to where is their wine. She replied oh I didn't know if they wanted a bottle or a glass. When she gave out the first taste of the wine to not only my parents but also my cousin, she would give a taste and then put the bottle on the table. never filled a glass. Everyone at the table were very upset with our service and I had several people want to get up to ask for a new server. I was hoping that she would turn it around but it just kept getting worse. Great food, great atmosphere, horrible service.Special Features:
- Great!ZenaDined on 8/9/2014We had a wonderful meal. The service was fantastic! The wine was perfect, the filet was delicious and cooked perfectly and creme brûlée was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive, but worth it for a treatSailorsarahDined on 8/7/2014The wait staff was the best, willing to do whatever was needed to make us happy. The steaks are amazing, try the one encrusted with kona coffee! Plus four words: lobster macaroni and cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!KristenDined on 8/7/2014Had my birthday dinner here. Couldn't have been better. From a hand written note, to complimentary birthday champagne, to the wonderful wait staff who made great recommendations and sponge pictures to remember the evening! I highly recommend you check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.