3010 LaFayette Road
Newport Beach, CA 92663Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cannerynewport.com/
- Phone: (949) 566-0060
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 3:30pm - 9:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Happy Hour: 7-Days a Week 4:00 - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Nick Weber
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Call for more information
- Special Events: Please contact Stevie Cruz by calling 949-677-2115 or email- email@example.com
A word from The Cannery
Cannery Seafood of the Pacific has been a fixture to Newport Beach for over 80 years. We are located in the Cannery Village, specializing in more than the freshest and most flavorful seafood. In our water-level Grill Room, enjoy a sophisticated menu of delicious steaks, chops and salads prepared with flair & imagination. Order one of our famous margaritas or a favorite cocktail at our upstairs Jellyfish Bar and enjoy the scene. Choose from Japanese specialties & sushi at the Sushi Bar. Looking for outdoors? Dine al fresco on our heated & enclosed patio where you can relax and watch luxury yachts cruise past on the Rhine Channel. Be sure to check out our Award winning Wine List with selections from California and around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
The Cannery - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
The Cannery reviews from OpenTable diners
168 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (106)scenic view (104)special occasion (89)romantic (74)good for groups (66)fit for foodies (64)neighborhood gem (49)notable wine list (47)hot spot (35)vibrant bar scene (34)great for lunch (28)great for brunch (23)kid-friendly (15)late-night find (9)Show More
- Anniversary DinnerLindleyDined on 11/17/2014My wife and I went there for our 40th wedding anniversary and sat at a quiet table in the main dining room. The food and service was outstanding and our waiter left us alone so we could enjoy each others company and have a quiet conversation. We were surprised by a complimentary dessert, lava cake, with a small chocolate note congratulating us on our anniversary. Very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobfromAZVIPDined on 11/15/2014Good service. The Peter Michael single vinyard Chard is off the chartsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLuv2eatoutDined on 11/15/2014Its a nice location and the food was good,but the service was very disappointing. For close to $40 a plate you expect better. The waiter was clearly distracted looking at another table, not just once, but twice when we were trying to ask him questions and place our order. We tried to wave him (and others) down several times to ask for water and he would look straight at us and not acknowledge us. The runner who brought our soup had no idea which table he was suppose to bring it to. Its hard to relax and enjoy yourself when the wait staff is stressed and disorganized and not taking care of basic needs. Also, a more minor thing, but there was condensation that dripped on us from the ceiling. Fortunately it did not drip on the food and we were able to just move the table slightly to get out of the way.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I've always enjoyed the ambiance of the entire restaurant and the cocktails have always been very good. My mashed potato and broccoli were so salty it was bitter to the taste. My lobster was OK- other than that I enjoyed myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great niteTleafDined on 11/15/2014We arrived and was welcomed warmly, the restaurant was charming and the upstairs is amazing- the sushi bar is a great fun place and the bar is always happening - everything we ordered was delicious and if u like venison you will go ballistic- definitely a restaurant I want to return to- we had Kate as a waitress she was marvelousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with GLMOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014When I made the reservations, I asked for a booth with a water view and was surprised to see that we weren't seated by the window...there were no booths by the window so we were seated just one table away...which turned out to be just fine with the four of us. Dinner was very good although the portions were a little skimpy. The wine list seemed quite adequate although a little pricey, but not to the extent of preventing us from ordering two bottles. Very enjoyable evening, dinner, etc. Would like to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicenicole1020Dined on 11/8/2014The food was wonderful and the server was great too... we always had a glass full of a drink and asked if we needed anything....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must do in NewportBoilerDined on 11/7/2014Great food, wonderful service. Sat outside on November 7th so that tells you how beautiful it is! Every aspect was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TasteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014The rich diver scallops did not pair well with the Parmesan risotto and the over seasoned Brussel sprouts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner ExperienceGood2eathereDined on 11/2/2014One of the best date spots to have dinner. The quality of the food and wine selection are second to none. The environment not too noisy which makes it perfect to have a date and nice conversation. Dinner for two can be very pricey here, but you get what you paid for. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrissyChrissyDined on 11/1/2014Our waitress was so bad! She had an attitude from the start. She never came back after taking our order. I had to stop her and ask her,10 minutes after our plates were cleared, if we could talk to her. I asked her her name and then she was a kiss a**. Our bill was over $160 without alcohol for 3 people. The Butterfield was bland and dry. My vegetables had a vinegar taste and I didn't eat them. The scallops were average along with the risotto. They recently changed the menu and must have changed chefs. I won't go back. I have been there 4-5 times over the past 11 months. The waitress killed it! An older lady who can be good if she wants to.Special Features:
- New Menu- Bad IdeafrequentdinerVIPDined on 10/28/2014Any time a restaurant changes 80% of their menu (or so we were told) there must be a reason. While the atmosphere is nice the food left a lot to be desired.Special Features:
- Service made the mealHBFOODIEDined on 10/28/2014Our server made the evening. Her honest opinion of the food, wine and dessert selections were on the mark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014Visiting from Chicago and impressed with this great restaurant and wonderful view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Consistently GoodnewportfoodieVIPDined on 10/25/2014Dine here often and The Cannery is always consistent. The menu has changed a bit for Fall and the chef has added other appetizers and main courses. Two of us tried the ahi cerviche with avocado and one the piquillo peppers. For entrees the butterfish (excellent) and the swordfish is always a favorite enjoyed by the two other guests. Key lime pie was the dessert of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gr8 Food, Gr8 Ambiancengoti8rDined on 10/19/20142 Salmons and an Old Man & the Sea proved super choices for our party of 3. Salmon tasty, moist and perfectly cooked. Scallops were tender, large and plump, and also cooked perfect. Wine list provided lots of quality choices and the Viognier proved a gr8 choice for the fish entrees. Definitely would return, as the food/wine, ambience, and servers were easily worthy of a 4.5 overall rating. Views of the harbor and the boats didn't hurt either. It's a winner!!! (The Open Table method of reservation worked extremely easy and my request for a patio table with heater worked perfectly). Provided a gr8 setting for my Mother-in-laws 91st birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, always goodJasonDined on 10/18/2014Went here with my girlfriend and her parents, had a great time, good service, food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKcheers2UDined on 10/18/2014Bar area was very hot, low airflow, server up-stairs was spot on service! Although, the restaurant was busy, and clearly most enjoyed it we have been to other establishments that offered better service as the one upstairs. Food was mediocre, the venison was lacking on the plate, looked like someone started eating before I received the plate. Our dinner server although very nice and busy seemed to be preoccupied with the larger groups. Check your opened bottle of wines, some taste like its been open too long, taste of cork rather than grape. Overall fair. Not sure if we ourselves we'll be back but I'm sure they will endure our lack of visit.Special Features:
- Great AmbianceDtuckerDined on 10/10/2014Grab a patio table if possible, but really the while restaurant is great for date night. Food was good. Swordfish and short ribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!NewportLocalVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great experience! Surf n turf, halibut and short ribs were all delicious! Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TMGOLDDined on 10/9/2014Great food, great scenery, great service. I ordered the Ahi and my wife had the Swordfish. Both were very fresh and exceptionally delicious.Special Features:
- Great place!GrantsgirlDined on 10/9/2014We brought out of town customers here (a group of 10) and sat out on the patio. It was a beautiful evening. Everyone enjoyed watching the boats, etc. The starters were wonderful, the entrees were amazing (everything from the salads and soups to the halibut to filet to bouillabaisse), and the wine list was very nice. Had great service too! This has become our new customer go-to spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014The place for fresh seafood. Well cooked, great presentation, by very knowledgable wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Surprisearrowhead5mDined on 10/8/2014While making a reservation for a Pirate duffy boat rental nearby, I requested a recommendation for a nearby restaurant, This was the seafood restaurant that was recommended. Our group enjoyed the Ahi served in a jalapeno miso type sauce with vegetables and noodles, the halibut with mashed potatoes and veggies, and the short ribs with a wine reduction sauce, mashed potatoes & veggies. topped of our meal with the Balboa sundae with carmelized bananas and the molten lava cake. All were yummy.Special Features:
- Very romanticSSadriDined on 10/4/2014great place to go for a candle light dinner. I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor settingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/30/2014The best seating is on the patio, with a gorgeous view of the back bay-[ need to reserve early, as patio tables are @ a premium. Service was great-I would recommend the chopped Cobb salad as a very flavorful lunch choice. J.Special Features:
- Monday Night Dinner @ The CanneryMattDined on 9/29/2014When making the reservation I requested a view of the harbor; upon arrival our table was inside and w/o a view and we were informed that two table are finishing up and they may become available soon. I did not want to make a big deal and sat inside. We sat down and had to wait a fair amount of time for our server (this always seems to be the case when you are ready for a drink and appetizers). The seat was falling apart and above you see the paint peeling in large chunks. That was the low point of service. Upon our server arriving and introducing himself, the service was quick and friendly. This food was delicious: ROASTED TOMATO SOUP, BRENDON’S FILET MIGNON, SALTED CARAMEL PUDDING), this was just okay: (AHI TUNA POKE ).Special Features:
- Great group meeting placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The food was very good. I had the King Salmon which was out of this world. The speciality drink were all sour and lift on alcohol. My wife had the steak and potatoes which was safe and very good. Loud! This place is not romantic. Great for big groups and loud parties!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmyKVIPDined on 9/27/2014First time in years that we have been there. Our granddaughters had the clam chowder & loved it. I had the king salmon and it was cooked perfectly medium rare. My husband's halibut was a little over cooked and dry. Service was excellent & manager, Alyssa, checked to make sure everything was fine. I will go back to give it another try.Special Features:
- Thoroughly Enjoyable!MangiareVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was superb, the service exceptionally good, and the view marvelous! This will definitely become one of our "go to" places when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningCAM33Dined on 9/26/2014The food, service, atmosphere were perfect. Great place for a 1st date as well. 6:45 reservation was to the minute. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EatingocflashDined on 9/26/2014We love going to the Cannery. Take lots of people there and was one of my Mom's favorite places. Love going for lunch because of 1/2 price wines.Special Features:
- Always been pleasedMojoDined on 9/23/2014The food quality is top notch, perfectly prepared. The portion sizes seemed a bit small by today's standards, but actually adequate. Excellent wines. Quite pleased over all. But perhaps somewhat pricey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiefanDined on 9/23/2014We have dined at Cannery many times in the past and have always been pleased. Not so this time. I ordered the $28.00 seafood salad and was so disappointed. It just looked like a bowl of lettuce with some pieces of seafood thrown in for you to discover-no presentation. Long, limp pepper strips in the bottom of the bowl. A very nondescript dressing. The service was certainly not up to their standards. Iced tea was not refreshed. Service slow and impersonal.Special Features:
- will come back! again and againsk714Dined on 9/22/2014I came here for my 30th bday. it was awesome! i requested a booth by the window a few days in advance just to make sure they would have one available the day of. They were very sweet about it and were able to seat us as requested. Our server was great and also funny. He came out with a dessert just by over hearing our conversation on it being my birthday :) very touching gesture. I would most definatly come here again. THe calamari was super delicious along with the salmon dish, the ahi tuna poke, the chicken and the poor mans skewer entree. My parents left satisfied and full. loks like small portions, but it's very filling and lightSpecial Features:
- Always great!TThomasDined on 9/20/2014My family and I has been going to the Cannery for years. Birthday's, Anniversaries, special events, or just to have a great dinner on the coast in a great restaurant. We have always been treated to wonderful food expertly prepared with very good service from a friendly staff. The wait staff is attentive without being intrusive. The bar is a treat by itself with a wonderful selection of specialty drinks. We have gone throughout the year and appreciate the changing menu and seasonal selections. We have never had a bad or disappointing meal. I highly recommend the Cannery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I went to the Cannery for date night. The first table they sat us at (which they called the "Owner's Table"), was right next to the kitchen. I wasn't thrilled, particularly since my husband and I rarely get out to a nice dinner without the kids. We asked if we could have a different table, and they immediately sat us at a wonderful table for two outside, waterside. It was a beautiful night and the table was perfect. I had the grilled lobster tail, which was cooked perfectly, and my husband had the halibut, which he also enjoyed. For dessert we shared the pistachio sundae, which was delicious. Service was great too. I will definitely be back. Thanks Cannery for a delightful date night!Special Features:
- Great outdoor diningRobertJoanneDined on 9/14/2014food and service were excellent. Nice view of the bay. We'll be back for another special ocassion.Special Features:
- Lesliell21Dined on 9/13/2014Came here to celebrate my fiance's birthday. It was our first time and it really blew away our expectations. From the start to end, we received great service and our server was very prompt with everything. The food was great ! My fiance ordered the steak and lobster and I ordered the swordfish. It was delicious !!!! Our server did such an amazing job making sure we had a great dining service. Definitely coming back.Special Features:
- Perfect DinnerKayBaxDined on 9/12/2014My mom came to visit me and I wanted to take her to a nice dinner. I was recommended the Cannery and it definitely lived up to everyone's reviews. The service was outstanding, the wine list was amazing, and the food was fantastic. Ended up being the perfect place to catch a drink at the bar before our table was ready. Would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a date spot or a girls night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.