3010 LaFayette Road
Newport Beach, CA 92663Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cannerynewport.com/
- Phone: 9495660060
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 3:30pm - 9:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Happy Hour: 7-Days a Week 4:00 - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Nick Weber
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Call for more information
- Special Events: Please contact Stevie Cruz by calling 949-677-2115 or email- firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from The Cannery
Cannery Seafood of the Pacific has been a fixture to Newport Beach for over 80 years. We are located in the Cannery Village, specializing in more than the freshest and most flavorful seafood. In our water-level Grill Room, enjoy a sophisticated menu of delicious steaks, chops and salads prepared with flair & imagination. Order one of our famous margaritas or a favorite cocktail at our upstairs Jellyfish Bar and enjoy the scene. Choose from Japanese specialties & sushi at the Sushi Bar. Looking for outdoors? Dine al fresco on our heated & enclosed patio where you can relax and watch luxury yachts cruise past on the Rhine Channel. Be sure to check out our Award winning Wine List with selections from California and around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Cannery reviews from OpenTable diners
203 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (137)scenic view (136)special occasion (113)romantic (76)fit for foodies (69)good for groups (61)great for brunch (52)great for lunch (46)neighborhood gem (44)vibrant bar scene (40)notable wine list (39)hot spot (22)kid-friendly (16)late-night find (10)Show More
- Always greatCruise2eatVIPDined on 8/28/2014We love going to the Cannery by Duffy. The new chef has really bumped up the menu. Fish is fresh and delicious. The no cream tomato soup is yummy. A favorite restaurant of ours.Special Features:
- Wedding anniversaryBuddyboy97Dined on 8/26/2014Came here after a gondol ride. Fish was delicious, service great, got a spot in the corner of the outdoor dockside patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappycamperVIPDined on 8/24/2014Been a while since we have been here and now I know why. Service was slow and inattentive by our waiter who was more interested in larger parties and friends. Sorry but just because there are only 2 of us is no reason to be put in corners by the kitchen and ignored by staff. We made a reservation ahead of time, bought expensive dishes and ordered an expensive wine! Over $200 for two is not cheap! I know it is our choice on what we eat and drink, but point is we were not cheap customers, and were treated as such. Getting quite tired of these so called "hip" restaurants that treat people over 50 like we cannot be bothered with. Get a grip people we hate corners,like views just like the "hip" crowd and probably have more money to spend.
- Sundays are not good at the CanneryMoumyDined on 8/24/2014I went on Sunday for lunch and found an extremely limited menu. While the restaurant does have a robust menu for evening dining, I didn't want eggs at 1 p.m. and was sorry that I had selected it. Additionally, I purchased a gift card for a friend via the online site and have yet to receive it. I took my receipt to the restaurant and they would not do anything except offer me to purchase a second gift card. I will never do this again!!Special Features:
- Great Place in NewportMaryygVIPDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I were visiting Newport Beach and had dinner at The Cannery. We arrived early and went upstairs to have a drink in the lounge. We loved the lounge, they have a sushi bar, large bar and open seating. The menu looked great and the appetizers we saw going out looked really good. The hostess told us to come back down at the time of our reservation. It would have been nice of them to come and get us when our table was ready as there were loads of hostesses. We ate downstairs and had a delicious meal. I had the John Dory, which was really outstanding. The service was very good, the waitress was pleasant, informative and attentive but not intrusive. We loved the atmosphere and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special findTleafDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant is a rare find good for all types of people- service exceptional ask for Corey he was amazing- view spectacular on the water and so much good food to choose from hard to pick all fish great and the filet mignon melts in your mouth- will be back oftenSpecial Features:
- Great place!nelsonVIPDined on 8/22/2014Always good. Service, ambience, views all great. We have been going here for years, never a bad meal.Special Features:
- NoisyKathrynDined on 8/20/2014Good restaurant for groups or families. Noisy. High energy. Good selection of fish.Special Features:
- The Cannery at Newport BeachFood4lifeDined on 8/17/2014We were out exploring the Newport Beach area & wanted to eat informally but still eat really good food. We had been recommended The Cannery, & were really pleased to discover on Open Table they had availability for our party of six. We realised when we arrived that this had been a happy coincidence as it was so busy. It's as the name suggests in an old Cannery, so it enjoys being accessible by boats and they offer a tender service but if you were driving there is parking available. The decor is sympathetic to the buildings heritage with loads of references to its past without looking tacky, it's really a gem. The food was faultless, with a great choice. The wine list was comprehensive & good value. The service was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNB14Dined on 8/17/2014My family and I have had great meals at the Cannery in the past, even on Christmas Eve. This time the service was very slow and we heard more than one table ask about their server. The dinner was so-so, but definitely not worth $200. We live locally and probably won't be back in the future.Special Features:
- The Cannery - Birthday EventHjAReviewDined on 8/16/2014I gave the same review on Yelp as my overall experience was good. The food was excellent as usual as I had the bouillabaisse for dinner and Creme Brulle for dessert, which they did not have on menu, but did on special request. I typically go a few times a year for Happy Hour, so the place is not a huge surprise, and only once a year for dinner as it is pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No SayjockoVIPDined on 8/16/2014We have enjoyed the Cannery in the past but stay away on Sat nights. The fish was dry, noise loud, service poor and fumes from the boats awful.Special Features:
- WynnDined on 8/16/2014The food was a little better the last time we were there.Special Features:
- Perfect anniversary spotCapperDined on 8/13/2014We stopped in here for a romantic dinner for our anniversary. We requested a patio table to see the water and it provided an excellent ambiance for dinner. My wife had the halibut and I had the filet. Both came out perfect. To top the meal off we enjoyed a complimentary chocolate molten cake complete with an anniversary sign for us. Great food, excellent service and a perfect romantic atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will not returnrickDined on 8/13/2014I made a special trip to the Cannery during the afternoon to request an outside table. When I got there they told me that an outside table was not possible because a large party had just came in. The Drinks came after appetizers and just before maincourse. First they were not what was ordered but they finally got it right. The shrimp cocktail was soggy like they had just been thawed. Then they delivered someone else's order to our table. We asked for the dressing on the side for the salads and this did not happen. The main courses were OK but by that time no one cared and the the topic of conversation at the table was how poor everything was. For a $250 bill this is not a restaurant I would return to. They never took the menus too!Special Features:
- Great spot for a family birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Celebrated my sister's 40th we had a wonderful time. The wine list was good and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- The food was very good!!kevmar92Dined on 8/9/2014It was our first time there. The food was very good and the service was great..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceCookieDined on 8/9/2014The people are friendly and helpful with the menu.Special Features:
- 21 Years agoFoodie4everDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding reception at the Cannery 21 years ago and I surprised her by taking her here this night. She absolutely was in heaven. Food and service was excellent.Special Features:
- Super!HiitsdiDined on 8/8/2014We had a great experience. The food was absolutely wonderful. I had the John Dory and my partner had the salmon and both were well prepared, flavorful, and piping hot. Dessert was equally as good. Paula, our server, was fun and humorous. Couldn't have asked for a better evening.Special Features:
- ...first timerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014Excellent food, great outdoor dining, overall really good, will defintely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationlaurabeezVIPDined on 7/26/2014we had a fairly large party and JESSICA took great care of us! the room and service (a shout out to the bus guys - thank you) were great but the food overall is "fair" - a bit unimaginative for Newport Beach (considering the competition among restaurants) but service makes up for a lot. Also, why no Rombauer chardonnay by the full bottle but only half bottles?Special Features:
- Would'nt order land again Only seaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014The service was great! However, I had my sister in from NY and while the seafood is usually good, the $40+ filet was really bad. I could have grilled an $8 steak myself that tasted better and of higher quality.Special Features:
- A great find!JonniDeeDined on 7/25/2014I needed a special occasion place to take out-of-town guests, that would highlight our lovely Southern California coast. A friend recommended The Cannery. I can't believe we had never heard of it before! We had a fantastic dinner, start to finish. I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great placeEaterVIPDined on 7/24/2014A must go to! Great food, excellent service. If you have not been back in a while, you should. Summer time is the best time!Special Features:
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Exceptional food in a great setting followed by friendly, attentive service made for a memorable night for my family.Special Features:
- good not greatwineloverDined on 7/21/2014I have been to the Cannery many many times & it remains one of our favorite spots for dinner & brunch. This visit was just not great. The ahi poke came out extremely salty & we sent it back. Our server was great & offered to bring us something else. We ordered the crab cake (one of our favorites) but it just wasn't as flavorful as usual. The real issue for us was that our entrees took an additional 25 minutes after we finished our salads. Our server was really nice & pleasant but must have been busy because it was hard to find him after we had finished our entrees. We felt a little forgotten about towards the end. We will be back, maybe it was an off night for the staff.Special Features:
- fine/casual diningAlanDined on 7/21/2014The Cannery is always our last stop before heading home from vacation. It is a tradition my wife and I have enjoyed for more than 10 years. The Cannery is a romantic dining experience. With respect to the food and wait staff, they get 11's on a 1-10 scale for their attention to detail, and the variety on the menu, especially the seafood items which are very fresh. The wait staff is very attentive and you don't have to signal to get refills to your drinks (even if it is just water). Often times, they do it without you even knowing they were at the table. That part is awesome. I highly recommend The Cannery and if you want a waterside table, you do need to reserve way in advance as everyone wants those tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OldFriendsMeetDined on 7/20/2014The service was great! We enjoyed our lunch at The Cannery! The valet person, reservationist and the waitress were all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly disappointedCaliDined on 7/20/2014Once or twice a year my sister and I look forward to coming to the Cannery as part of our Beach experience. We were surprised at the change in menu and the poor seating experience. We ended up with the Fish Tacos, which were really good, but missed the old menu which featured more lunch friendly fish options. We will definitely be back, as we love the atmosphere and the area.Special Features:
- Good setting, bit noisyjcc1Dined on 7/19/2014Good for a night out with a group of friends, vibrant, good food and the fish is fresh. Nice setting overlooking the water if you can get a patio table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Fish RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The fish (swordfish for me and halibut for her) was of high quality and cooked perfectly. Sauces and presentation were high end but not overpowering. Raw oysters were excellent as well but had to ask for the horseradish. Service and ambiance were top notch. My date left her sweater at the table and the restaurant called me as I was halfway home to let us know that we could pick it up the next day. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What? What did you say???StreamlinerVIPDined on 7/18/2014We got there at 6pm on a Friday evening. It was great. By 7, we could not hear each other from across the table, as the ROAR was just deafening. We like this place, but we will make sure that future dinners are on a Sunday through Thursday.Special Features:
- NiceluvitVIPDined on 7/16/2014We had a wonderful time as always good food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Excellent!AdieDined on 7/11/2014Been a fan of the Cannery since the 70's. It has managed to stay a favorite through changes in ownership, closures & economic challenges. Always been our not to miss spot in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant great/open table notUnhappyDined on 7/10/2014We have been trying to use our open table gift certificate many times. Given to us from a satisfied client but Cannery told us that it was only for a holiday special and they didn't participate in holiday specials. Where was this written on the certificate we received...nowhere! Open table has a great concept, unfortunatley it is very difficult to use. We are sitting here with a worthless $100 certificate. There is no expiration date on the certificate nor any restrictions so why did Cannery not take it and why would open table not make restrictions more clear. Cannery is a great restaurant however not happy about their decision not to take certificate.....why did we not know this...why did open table not make it specific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always OutstandingToddVIPDined on 7/6/2014The Cannery Seafood Restaurant has been a fixture at the end of the Lido Marina Village for decades. This is no small feat in a town known for its gastronomic prowess. The reason why the Cannery is still there is because it has terrific food, a great location and amazing service. It also continually reinvents itself and its menu to stay ahead of the competition. Although Sunday brunch is our favorite time to go there, you won't go wrong with any meal - or just cocktails and appetizers upstairs.Special Features:
- Fantastic Foodluv2eatDined on 7/5/2014I always enjoy my experience at The Cannery. I was with three other people. I had the Surf & Turf which was a half lobster and a flitet mignon. The lobster was delicious and the filet was cooked to perfection. The others in my party had sushi; a ribeye; and salmon. They were all equally satisfied with their meal. I plan to go to The Cannery again soon. Not only is the food excellent, but the atmosphere is very nice. The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014The food was terrible! They need a rehaul on their menu or a new chef!
- A missMitchVIPDined on 7/2/2014Have been here many times, especially for business, and had good meals. . This time was a big miss. Poor and inattentive service, brought out the wrong oysters (turns out they ran out of what we ordered and did not ask if OK to replace. The replacements were awful). Sushi rolls very mediocre. Light burned out over our table so ate in total darkness. Not sure I'll try again when there are so many other choices in the area.