3010 LaFayette Road
Newport Beach, CA 92663Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cannerynewport.com/
- Phone: 9495660060
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 3:30pm - 9:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:30pm - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Happy Hour: 7-Days a Week 4:00 - 6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Nick Weber
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Call for more information
- Special Events: Please contact Stevie Cruz by calling 949-677-2115 or email- email@example.com
A word from The Cannery
Cannery Seafood of the Pacific has been a fixture to Newport Beach for over 80 years. We are located in the Cannery Village, specializing in more than the freshest and most flavorful seafood. In our water-level Grill Room, enjoy a sophisticated menu of delicious steaks, chops and salads prepared with flair & imagination. Order one of our famous margaritas or a favorite cocktail at our upstairs Jellyfish Bar and enjoy the scene. Choose from Japanese specialties & sushi at the Sushi Bar. Looking for outdoors? Dine al fresco on our heated & enclosed patio where you can relax and watch luxury yachts cruise past on the Rhine Channel. Be sure to check out our Award winning Wine List with selections from California and around the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Cannery reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (115)scenic view (113)special occasion (98)romantic (77)fit for foodies (65)good for groups (56)neighborhood gem (48)notable wine list (42)vibrant bar scene (36)great for lunch (32)hot spot (30)great for brunch (29)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (7)Show More
- Gr8 Food, Gr8 AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/20142 Salmons and an Old Man & the Sea proved super choices for our party of 3. Salmon tasty, moist and perfectly cooked. Scallops were tender, large and plump, and also cooked perfect. Wine list provided lots of quality choices and the Viognier proved a gr8 choice for the fish entrees. Definitely would return, as the food/wine, ambience, and servers were easily worthy of a 4.5 overall rating. Views of the harbor and the boats didn't hurt either. It's a winner!!! (The Open Table method of reservation worked extremely easy and my request for a patio table with heater worked perfectly). Provided a gr8 setting for my Mother-in-laws 91st birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, always goodJasonDined on 10/18/2014Went here with my girlfriend and her parents, had a great time, good service, food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKcheers2UDined on 10/18/2014Bar area was very hot, low airflow, server up-stairs was spot on service! Although, the restaurant was busy, and clearly most enjoyed it we have been to other establishments that offered better service as the one upstairs. Food was mediocre, the venison was lacking on the plate, looked like someone started eating before I received the plate. Our dinner server although very nice and busy seemed to be preoccupied with the larger groups. Check your opened bottle of wines, some taste like its been open too long, taste of cork rather than grape. Overall fair. Not sure if we ourselves we'll be back but I'm sure they will endure our lack of visit.Special Features:
- Great AmbianceDtuckerDined on 10/10/2014Grab a patio table if possible, but really the while restaurant is great for date night. Food was good. Swordfish and short ribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!NewportLocalVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great experience! Surf n turf, halibut and short ribs were all delicious! Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TMGOLDDined on 10/9/2014Great food, great scenery, great service. I ordered the Ahi and my wife had the Swordfish. Both were very fresh and exceptionally delicious.Special Features:
- Great place!GrantsgirlDined on 10/9/2014We brought out of town customers here (a group of 10) and sat out on the patio. It was a beautiful evening. Everyone enjoyed watching the boats, etc. The starters were wonderful, the entrees were amazing (everything from the salads and soups to the halibut to filet to bouillabaisse), and the wine list was very nice. Had great service too! This has become our new customer go-to spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014The place for fresh seafood. Well cooked, great presentation, by very knowledgable wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Surprisearrowhead5mDined on 10/8/2014While making a reservation for a Pirate duffy boat rental nearby, I requested a recommendation for a nearby restaurant, This was the seafood restaurant that was recommended. Our group enjoyed the Ahi served in a jalapeno miso type sauce with vegetables and noodles, the halibut with mashed potatoes and veggies, and the short ribs with a wine reduction sauce, mashed potatoes & veggies. topped of our meal with the Balboa sundae with carmelized bananas and the molten lava cake. All were yummy.Special Features:
- Very romanticSSadriDined on 10/4/2014great place to go for a candle light dinner. I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor settingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/30/2014The best seating is on the patio, with a gorgeous view of the back bay-[ need to reserve early, as patio tables are @ a premium. Service was great-I would recommend the chopped Cobb salad as a very flavorful lunch choice. J.Special Features:
- Monday Night Dinner @ The CanneryMattDined on 9/29/2014When making the reservation I requested a view of the harbor; upon arrival our table was inside and w/o a view and we were informed that two table are finishing up and they may become available soon. I did not want to make a big deal and sat inside. We sat down and had to wait a fair amount of time for our server (this always seems to be the case when you are ready for a drink and appetizers). The seat was falling apart and above you see the paint peeling in large chunks. That was the low point of service. Upon our server arriving and introducing himself, the service was quick and friendly. This food was delicious: ROASTED TOMATO SOUP, BRENDON’S FILET MIGNON, SALTED CARAMEL PUDDING), this was just okay: (AHI TUNA POKE ).Special Features:
- Great group meeting placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014The food was very good. I had the King Salmon which was out of this world. The speciality drink were all sour and lift on alcohol. My wife had the steak and potatoes which was safe and very good. Loud! This place is not romantic. Great for big groups and loud parties!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmyKVIPDined on 9/27/2014First time in years that we have been there. Our granddaughters had the clam chowder & loved it. I had the king salmon and it was cooked perfectly medium rare. My husband's halibut was a little over cooked and dry. Service was excellent & manager, Alyssa, checked to make sure everything was fine. I will go back to give it another try.Special Features:
- Thoroughly Enjoyable!MangiareVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was superb, the service exceptionally good, and the view marvelous! This will definitely become one of our "go to" places when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningCAM33Dined on 9/26/2014The food, service, atmosphere were perfect. Great place for a 1st date as well. 6:45 reservation was to the minute. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EatingocflashDined on 9/26/2014We love going to the Cannery. Take lots of people there and was one of my Mom's favorite places. Love going for lunch because of 1/2 price wines.Special Features:
- Always been pleasedMojoDined on 9/23/2014The food quality is top notch, perfectly prepared. The portion sizes seemed a bit small by today's standards, but actually adequate. Excellent wines. Quite pleased over all. But perhaps somewhat pricey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiefanDined on 9/23/2014We have dined at Cannery many times in the past and have always been pleased. Not so this time. I ordered the $28.00 seafood salad and was so disappointed. It just looked like a bowl of lettuce with some pieces of seafood thrown in for you to discover-no presentation. Long, limp pepper strips in the bottom of the bowl. A very nondescript dressing. The service was certainly not up to their standards. Iced tea was not refreshed. Service slow and impersonal.Special Features:
- will come back! again and againsk714Dined on 9/22/2014I came here for my 30th bday. it was awesome! i requested a booth by the window a few days in advance just to make sure they would have one available the day of. They were very sweet about it and were able to seat us as requested. Our server was great and also funny. He came out with a dessert just by over hearing our conversation on it being my birthday :) very touching gesture. I would most definatly come here again. THe calamari was super delicious along with the salmon dish, the ahi tuna poke, the chicken and the poor mans skewer entree. My parents left satisfied and full. loks like small portions, but it's very filling and lightSpecial Features:
- Always great!TThomasDined on 9/20/2014My family and I has been going to the Cannery for years. Birthday's, Anniversaries, special events, or just to have a great dinner on the coast in a great restaurant. We have always been treated to wonderful food expertly prepared with very good service from a friendly staff. The wait staff is attentive without being intrusive. The bar is a treat by itself with a wonderful selection of specialty drinks. We have gone throughout the year and appreciate the changing menu and seasonal selections. We have never had a bad or disappointing meal. I highly recommend the Cannery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I went to the Cannery for date night. The first table they sat us at (which they called the "Owner's Table"), was right next to the kitchen. I wasn't thrilled, particularly since my husband and I rarely get out to a nice dinner without the kids. We asked if we could have a different table, and they immediately sat us at a wonderful table for two outside, waterside. It was a beautiful night and the table was perfect. I had the grilled lobster tail, which was cooked perfectly, and my husband had the halibut, which he also enjoyed. For dessert we shared the pistachio sundae, which was delicious. Service was great too. I will definitely be back. Thanks Cannery for a delightful date night!Special Features:
- Great outdoor diningRobertJoanneDined on 9/14/2014food and service were excellent. Nice view of the bay. We'll be back for another special ocassion.Special Features:
- Lesliell21Dined on 9/13/2014Came here to celebrate my fiance's birthday. It was our first time and it really blew away our expectations. From the start to end, we received great service and our server was very prompt with everything. The food was great ! My fiance ordered the steak and lobster and I ordered the swordfish. It was delicious !!!! Our server did such an amazing job making sure we had a great dining service. Definitely coming back.Special Features:
- Perfect DinnerKayBaxDined on 9/12/2014My mom came to visit me and I wanted to take her to a nice dinner. I was recommended the Cannery and it definitely lived up to everyone's reviews. The service was outstanding, the wine list was amazing, and the food was fantastic. Ended up being the perfect place to catch a drink at the bar before our table was ready. Would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a date spot or a girls night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Wonderful CelebrationOCFoodiesVIPDined on 9/6/2014Thanks for another wonderful evening at The Cannery! We got engaged here, and come back for every anniversary we're in the mood to celebrate with excellent food and wine! See you next time!Special Features:
- Good dinnerFine67Dined on 9/6/2014We went for our anniversary and were very pleased with the dinner, the service and the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!1eyedladyDined on 9/6/2014The Cannery was recommended by my hotel. It was exceptional. The service, menu, food and wine list were fantastic. I would definitely recommend this restaurant for a special occasion, out of town guests, or just a wonderful date night for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great atmosphere!diningRamboDined on 9/5/2014The food is really delicious. With great surrounding. Proper staff great service. And great dishes prepared by one of OC's greatest chefs Nick Weber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunchAJ121212Dined on 9/3/2014I took a special person to lunch for the first time alone and had a great time. The service was excellent and the food could not have been better. Because of the quiet surroundings, we were able to talk and get to know each other. After 4.5 hours we noticed the lunch crowd had left and happy hour was going to start. I'm glad I pick the cannery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatCruise2eatVIPDined on 8/28/2014We love going to the Cannery by Duffy. The new chef has really bumped up the menu. Fish is fresh and delicious. The no cream tomato soup is yummy. A favorite restaurant of ours.Special Features:
- Wedding anniversaryBuddyboy97Dined on 8/26/2014Came here after a gondol ride. Fish was delicious, service great, got a spot in the corner of the outdoor dockside patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerPaulDined on 8/24/2014When we got there we did not have to wait to long. The waitress was very knowledgeable friendly. They left us alone to have a romantic dinner. The appetizer was great along with the food and thy surprised us with a special dessert. The only bad was is that it was real cold and they did not keep our Ice tea full.Special Features:
- HappycamperVIPDined on 8/24/2014Been a while since we have been here and now I know why. Service was slow and inattentive by our waiter who was more interested in larger parties and friends. Sorry but just because there are only 2 of us is no reason to be put in corners by the kitchen and ignored by staff. We made a reservation ahead of time, bought expensive dishes and ordered an expensive wine! Over $200 for two is not cheap! I know it is our choice on what we eat and drink, but point is we were not cheap customers, and were treated as such. Getting quite tired of these so called "hip" restaurants that treat people over 50 like we cannot be bothered with. Get a grip people we hate corners,like views just like the "hip" crowd and probably have more money to spend.
- Sundays are not good at the CanneryMoumyDined on 8/24/2014I went on Sunday for lunch and found an extremely limited menu. While the restaurant does have a robust menu for evening dining, I didn't want eggs at 1 p.m. and was sorry that I had selected it. Additionally, I purchased a gift card for a friend via the online site and have yet to receive it. I took my receipt to the restaurant and they would not do anything except offer me to purchase a second gift card. I will never do this again!!Special Features:
- Great Place in NewportMaryygVIPDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I were visiting Newport Beach and had dinner at The Cannery. We arrived early and went upstairs to have a drink in the lounge. We loved the lounge, they have a sushi bar, large bar and open seating. The menu looked great and the appetizers we saw going out looked really good. The hostess told us to come back down at the time of our reservation. It would have been nice of them to come and get us when our table was ready as there were loads of hostesses. We ate downstairs and had a delicious meal. I had the John Dory, which was really outstanding. The service was very good, the waitress was pleasant, informative and attentive but not intrusive. We loved the atmosphere and would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special findTleafDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant is a rare find good for all types of people- service exceptional ask for Corey he was amazing- view spectacular on the water and so much good food to choose from hard to pick all fish great and the filet mignon melts in your mouth- will be back oftenSpecial Features:
- Great place!nelsonVIPDined on 8/22/2014Always good. Service, ambience, views all great. We have been going here for years, never a bad meal.Special Features:
- NoisyKathrynDined on 8/20/2014Good restaurant for groups or families. Noisy. High energy. Good selection of fish.Special Features:
- The Cannery at Newport BeachFood4lifeDined on 8/17/2014We were out exploring the Newport Beach area & wanted to eat informally but still eat really good food. We had been recommended The Cannery, & were really pleased to discover on Open Table they had availability for our party of six. We realised when we arrived that this had been a happy coincidence as it was so busy. It's as the name suggests in an old Cannery, so it enjoys being accessible by boats and they offer a tender service but if you were driving there is parking available. The decor is sympathetic to the buildings heritage with loads of references to its past without looking tacky, it's really a gem. The food was faultless, with a great choice. The wine list was comprehensive & good value. The service was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.