The Canfield House
5 Memorial Boulevard
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Canfield House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.canfieldhousenewport.com/
- Phone: 4018470416
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm to 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Maggie Wiggins 4018470416
A word from The Canfield House
Welcome to the Canfield House Restaurant. Once an estate and lavish casino the Canfield House is one of Newport's most historic landmarks and has been restored to it's original 1860's architecture.Experience contemporary American cuisine at it's best.Offering fresh local seafood and game entrees, as well as tavern fare.A treasure to locals and visitor's world wide, the Canfield House restaurant is a dining experience not to be missed while visiting Newport. We are nestled in Historic Hill just steps from famous Bellevue Avenue and the Newport Tennis Hall of Fame.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Canfield House - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Canfield House reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (58)romantic (41)neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (32)good for groups (26)notable wine list (18)great for outdoor dining (12)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014From the time we were greeted to the time that we departed we were treated to a warm enviting atmosophere and were treated like friends. It was especially nice to be thanked BY NAME on our arrival and departure.Special Features:
- Bargain special on a weeknightFoodisfunDined on 9/11/2014You get 2 entrees and a bottle of house wine for two people for $35. Good value for the price. The wine was very ordinary but fine for what we paid.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014I wouldn't recommend it as I was disappointed in the quality of the food . I asked our waitress for more butter which we never received. My steak was on the tough side and overcooked after I specifically asked for it to be pink. since we didn't order from the special menu I was expecting it to be much better. The veggies left a little bit to be desired.
- Perfect Anniversary dinnerPrmri9Dined on 9/6/2014Atmosphere unsurpassed... everything ordered was superb from the appetizers to the desert.. presentation was exquisite only surpassed by the quality of the food! Service of waitstaff was excellent...& owner was very warm and friendly...we will definitely be back,,,Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Went to the Canfield House with sisters! Food and service was excellent. Our server was very attentive and friendly. It was a great dining experience. We would definitely return there if we are in the area. The filet was so tender and the fish was so fresh! The desserts were great also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CanfieldJanmcDined on 9/3/2014Everything was outstanding! I recommend it all. Food, service, and ambiance were all 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/31/2014Our meal was during Labor Day weekend as one of our group was craving lobster mac & cheese which is on the menu. Made reservation, were asked to wait 5 min. at the bar for our table, finally seated 30 min later AFTER going to hostess to check on status & being told we "had been seated". Wait staff was very good. After placing order were told they were out of lobster mac & cheese. Lobster WAS still on the menu. We think the chef was just grumpy…kinda like yes we have tea, yes we have ice, but "no" we do NOT have iced tea. Bouillabaisse was substituted and was actually the tastiest of the three meals. Too many other better places in town w/ better food, attitude & service. (Also, didn't check us in re: Open Table reservation.)
- Great everytime.AmazingVIPDined on 8/31/2014You cannot go wrong going to the Canfield House. Everyone from the hostess to the waitresses are very nice. The building is very charming. We had the baked haddock and root beer short ribs. Amazing!!!! And i recommend the lobster mac and cheese as an appetizer! This place is on my to do list everytime i come to Newport.Special Features:
- Beautiful ambiance & excellent foodLadyinredDined on 8/31/2014My husband & I dined at the Canfield House on Labor Day weekend, & enjoyed the wonderful ambiance it offered. It was quite busy, & since we arrived early, we sat in the lovely bar & had a cocktail. Once we were seated & reviewed the menu, we found many mouthwatering choices. We ultimately ordered the fried calamari, 2 different salads, a chicken dish & the lobster pie. The fried calamari was crisp & had a terrific sauce. Both salads were enjoyed, & my husband found his chicken to be delicious. I loved the lobster pie, & although I really tried, I could not eat a morsel more....so.... my husband finished it! While service was a little slow, it was only because the wait staff were very busy. They certainly hustled! We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, pretty slow servicetheChucksterDined on 8/30/2014Loved the interior setting -- very Newport. Food was excellent. Wife had scallops that were some of the best she has ever had. I particularly loved the Oysters Canfield. We were in no hurry, so pace was not an issue, but we can see why some reviewers got aggravated with the slowness. Will be one of our regular places when in Newport.Special Features:
- Wonderful atmosphere, good foodDMSConcordDined on 8/29/2014Gorgeous Inn with spectacular dining room. My wife thought that the Bolognese was the best she's ever had. My salmon over risotto had wonderful risotto, but the salmon itself, although good, was a bit too plain for my tastes. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Borderline1Borderline1Dined on 8/28/2014A beautiful venue, impeccably maintained and it was our honor to have been able to enjoy such a fine meal with excellent service. The Canfield House is Newport, miss it and you missed what Newport is all about.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerPickyspouse1113Dined on 8/28/2014After reading many restaurant reviews, I chose Canfields for our special dinner. The waitress was one of the best I have ever had . The food was excellent and the price amazing. We would definitely go there again on any visit to newport!Special Features:
- Prix Fixe dinnerSusieDined on 8/28/2014Delicious dinner at Canfield House. This was our 2nd meal this week at this restaurant. Denise, our server remembered us from our first visit and treated us to a lovely dinner. The restaurant is housed in a lovely old building that was a gaming hall in the early 1900's. The food is top quality and we highly recommend it! Dinner was $35 for 2 and included a bottle of either merlot or chardonney. We chose the chardonney and it was wonderful! We had a s'more tart for dessert that would have been better had the marshmellow topping been heated - but the flavors were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatcloutDined on 8/26/2014It is always a pleasure to dine there. food is always wonderful and the atmosphere is greatSpecial Features:
- Great time!LoveDiningInRIDined on 8/23/2014Had the pleasure of dining at Canfield House on a recent Saturday evening. Although busy, the service was prompt and friendly and the food was amazing. Highly recommend the Lobster Bisque and the Pear Salad for appetizers and both the Pasta Bolognese and the Lobster and Scallop Pie entrees were fantastic! Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- Satisfied!mac0903VIPDined on 8/22/2014Food was great! Service was awesome. Loved the atmosphere!! Will definitely be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canfield House-We Love It!lambchopDined on 8/22/2014Whether you order the lobster and scallop pie or the steak frites, the entrees are superb. Other favorites include the duck and the lamb chops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Canfield housesurfcitygeneDined on 8/21/2014This was our most enjoyable meal in Newport, so much so we had to come back for our last night before going back home. The food was very good and not over priced. You can imagine what the gambling must have been like in there back in the day if only the walls could talk. The two for one meal is not to be missed on weeknights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHGpgwarwickDined on 8/15/2014Wonderful atmosphere and away from the hustle and bustle of the Thames Street crowds. Excellent dining selection and always outstanding preparation and presentation. Definitely a plus for the Newport dining scene. Highly recommended for a nice quite dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great History misses markKidfromMaineDined on 8/14/2014The Canfield house though deep in history missed its mark with slow service and underperformed with delivering a cold steak frites. The up side dining room was beautiful our waitress did a great job, however management needs to evaluate the kitchen and may need to add a server or two to speed up service. This may be a summer thong in Newport as all of the local restaurants seem to be in same boat. The appetizers were great, the wine list although not extensive provided value and we would try again in future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite didn't disappointSailorBillDined on 8/13/2014Canfield House is one of our favorites. It is a beaufitful old place and the food is good. The weekday "wine and dine" specials are a particularly good deal. We took visiting friends, and all were pleased with our dinners and the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Mansion with a RestaurantHdhejVIPDined on 8/10/2014This restaurant is in a nice mansion looking place with 4 guest rooms upstairs. They have a nice outdoor and indoor bar. The main dining room is lined with this dark oak paneling on the lower part of the wall and on the ceiling. The food was very good and they accommodated my Mother's diet of gluten and dairy. Her review is that it was all tasty. Mine was also perfect. She got the filet and I got the seafood trio with wine and tomato. The mushroom risotto was so creamy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of top restaurants in the statemiloDined on 8/7/2014Enjoyed an extremely pleasant evening with friends at the Canfield House and thoroughly enjoyed it all. Food, service, ambiance and meeting some other folks in the restaurant. Looking forward to a return, with or without friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 8/3/2014We have dined at the Canfield House several times in the past and have consistently found it to be exceptional in every way.My husband had the mixed grill last time which is a meatlovers fantasy and I had the seafood alfredo,generous portions of lobster,scallops and shrimp,almost too big to finish but I had to!We have recommended the Canfield House to others and will return whenever we crave a special night out in NewportSpecial Features:
- Truly a favoriterobing2748Dined on 7/31/2014We come to Newport each year for the Jazz and always come to Canfield House one evening. It looks like a more formal, elegant dining experience but doesn't have a stuffy bone in its body. The food is excellent. I had mussels and little necks and my husband had the lobster pot pie which was absolutely luscious!! Our friends had never been and really loved everything. Don't hesitate to come here. You won't be disappointed!!Special Features:
- Classic New EnglandllllVIPDined on 7/27/2014We were the only table on a Sunday night, late. Our waitress and staff could not have been more patient as we lingered over our last meal in lovely Newport. Our only complaint was that the portions were a bit large. The food was terrific, especially the shrimp appetizer and the seafood pot pie.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Food very good. Little expansive but overall quality/price is good.Special Features:
- Among the very bestShutterBugDined on 7/24/2014We are here each year for two weeks, and this week alone we ate three times at Canfield. Only once was the noise level high, when there was a party of 13 diners trying to talk with each other. We run out of days long before we run out of desirable menu choices. The food is reliably good and not outrageously priced, the menu is interesting, and the servers are friendly. I would gladly keep eating their Oysters Canfield appetizers until they stopped bringing them to me. It is THE place we select to treat our musician friends from the Chamber Music Festival.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely night outRIresidentDined on 7/24/2014Canfield House was a great spot to invite some out of town guests for dinner. Everyone had the lobster mac and cheese and while we had it as a starter, the portions were big enough to be a main course for the women. I am certainly having it again.Special Features:
- Loved it!lisa1988Dined on 7/22/2014We chose Canfield House for our anniversary dinner based on reviews from here and tripadvisor and were not disappointed. Menu had so many delicious options to choose from and we loved the calamari and the mushroom ravioli as apps. Had a nice bottle of Kim Crawford to go with the salmon and bouillabaisse. Salmon was cooked perfectly. Everything was wonderful and the service was delightful. Did not go with the weeknight dinner special of $35 for dinner and wine but could see that many were choosing this option around us. There were some good choices on the menu for this but none appealed to us that evening.Special Features:
- definitely be backbarscoDined on 7/19/2014Great food. Great service. Great prices. My sister and I both enjoyed the root beer short ribs. They were very flavorful served with a mixture of beets, white and sweet potatoes. I'd definitely recommend this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulDined on 7/19/2014Long standing Newport option. Good quality food. Per my guest that was very familiar with Canfield House..."You can always expect a good meal. Filled with local families, not so much a tourist spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindlisaDined on 7/18/2014We made last minute reservations for a Friday night and were promptly seated by the hostess. Although our waitress had many large parties we were serviced in a timely fashion. The food was extraordinary, the dining room was beautiful, the staff attentive. Definitely a place we will eat at again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful anniversary dinnerJOJODined on 7/16/2014We celebrated our anniversary with a wonderful dinner at Canfield House. Our food was well-prepared and attractively presented. The server was attentive but not intrusive. Her descriptions of menu items were enticing. The desserts were delicious and just the right size to tempt us. The gleaming paneled walls and ceiling are just lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good service was slowOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014The food was great, but the service was excruciatingly slow. After 15 mins we had to get up and get our own menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhilVDined on 7/11/2014Canfield haas been a long time favorite. Every time we visit the food and service has been excellent and never disappoints. Cuisine is among the best in Newport. We recommend this to anyone visiting Newport who wants to get away from downtown touristy food factories. It is next to the Newport Tennis Hall of Fame, but not too far off the beaten path.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Atmosphere & Wonderful FoodtheportsmouthoutoftownerDined on 7/5/2014Canfield House is one of my husband's and my FAVORITE restaurants in Newport! The food is consistently delicious, with interesting menu selections. The service is great; waitresses are engaging, knowledgeable and offer suggestions for both food and drinks! This is a wonderful choice for a romantic dinner or a special occasion party on a small scale! We enjoy taking friends from out of town to this converted gambling hall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerFredchDined on 6/29/2014Probably our 10th visit both early and late. Consistently pleasant and a nice place to have an elegant dinner or drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canfield DelightlambchopDined on 6/28/2014We love dining at the Canfield House. From the rack of lamb to the lobster and scallop pie, not to mention the lobster bisque and the French onion soup, everything has a unique taste that leaves you satisfied. We love the feeling of yesteryear thinking of a time when gentlemen gamblers filled the room. The hostess and wait staff are top notch. We can't wait to return in August.Special Features: