The Canfield House
5 Memorial Boulevard
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Canfield House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.canfieldhousenewport.com/
- Phone: (401) 847-0416
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm to 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Maggie Wiggins 4018470416
A word from The Canfield House
Welcome to the Canfield House Restaurant. Once an estate and lavish casino the Canfield House is one of Newport's most historic landmarks and has been restored to it's original 1860's architecture.Experience contemporary American cuisine at it's best.Offering fresh local seafood and game entrees, as well as tavern fare.A treasure to locals and visitor's world wide, the Canfield House restaurant is a dining experience not to be missed while visiting Newport. We are nestled in Historic Hill just steps from famous Bellevue Avenue and the Newport Tennis Hall of Fame.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Canfield House - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Canfield House reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (62)neighborhood gem (48)fit for foodies (43)romantic (43)good for groups (32)notable wine list (15)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Weeknight BargainJamesDined on 11/12/2014Canfield House is a Newport mainstay. We opted for the weeknight special of two entrees and a bottle of wine for $35!! The menu wasn't nearly as limited as you might expect. We had wild-caught Atlantic salmon with seasonal veggies and rice, and pork shank over white beans--both well prepared and delicious. The wine was adequate. We chose the Merlot; there was a white option as well. We opted for an add-on salad and split a dessert and were amazed at the value. It was a quiet Wednesday night. Service was excellent. The pace of the meal was just right. We would go again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDaveVIPDined on 11/11/2014We are a the restaurant during restaurant week and the value was stunning. It is always handled well with great food and very good service.Special Features:
- They could have packed it in ...jd37Dined on 11/9/2014We went on a Sunday night, and we were the only ones there! Wonderful food, and how could we not have spectacular service?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaurenVIPDined on 11/8/2014Food and décor were nice but the service here is so atrociously slow, you think they forgot about you. And it wasn't a busy night!
- Anniversary treatfoodloverDined on 11/8/2014My wife and I came to Newport to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We picked Canfield House based on reviews we read, and we were not disappointed. The lobster and scallop pie was unique and delicious. The calamari appetizer was unusually presented, with a wasabi-aioli and ginger sesame drizzle. Also delicious. The restaurant itself is a beautiful space, having been once used as an up-scale 19th-century gambling palace, and the interior ceiling is gorgeous to gaze at while dining. The lighting utilizes antique gas fixtures converted to electricity, but maintains a charming glow that adds to the pleasant ambiance. The interior space is open and the ceilings high, so the noise level can be quite animated. The service were excellent.Special Features:
- Disappointed!!Food4foodieDined on 11/8/2014I looked at all the positive reviews of the restaurant and was really looking forward to going. I started with the lobster bisque which tasted nothing like it was supposed to. There was a film on it when it arrived and that should have been my first hint. I had the others at the table taste it as well just to make sure it wasn't me and we all agreed it was not good. I followed that with the pasta bolongese and that was greasy, it's not supposed to be greasy. We sat there for ten minutes waiting for someone to come over to offer water and then we waited another 15 minutes just to pay the bill. I have been going to newport for years and this by far the worst meal I have ever had. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone!!
- good food and service but noisy.dachsieladyDined on 11/8/2014Two people in our party wear hearing aids. As soon as the room filled up they could not hear nor talk to others., nor could the others who were not hearing impaired. We did not linger. Go early to avoid the noise. The food was good and interesting. Service was fine for a full restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014We've eaten at The Canfield House several times and have never been disappointed with either the food or the service.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC Restaurant Week Dinner!DineDivaDined on 11/7/2014WOW! VERY, very impressive dinner here for Newport's Nov 2014 Restaurant Week! Definitely delighted and exceeded expectations. Quality of meal was OUTSTANDING in all respects: a) presentation (beautiful on the plate!), b) portion (definitely standard vs. skimpy portion on the "robust" side!), c) caliber of food (rave reviews!). We had: Oysters Canfield (3-yum!) & Arugula Salad for apps, Pork Shank (FABU!) & Crispy Salmon (great portion size & crispy to die for!), Warm Berry Tart/Ice Cream & Chocolate "Pillows" (chocolate raviolis filled w chocolate - divine!). DEFINITELY recommend and plant to return!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Lovely place to dine. The service and staff are very friendly. The food was delicious. We celebrated our anniversary and had a truly wonderful experience. We will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Overall great time. Went with a group of five and everyone loved everything we had!Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014We were a group of 8 who were on a long weekend in Newport. We chose the Canfield House based on the Open Table reviews and it did not disappoint. Our food was delicious. THe environment was elegant. Service was terrific. I would certainly recommend to anyone and will revisit when we return to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did they Forget about us?RichBVIPDined on 10/18/2014Had dinner reservations last Saturday at 7:00. Must of been a very popular time as the place was packed, in fact we waited a few minutes. The hostess was competent but lacked poise. Not sure how else to say it. In fact that would be a similar description for our waitress Denise. Competent but not professional in her manner. i.e. pepper over a good part of the table as she tried to hit the salad. Brought out wine in the wrong glass, her fix? Lets poor it into a new glass right at the table, oops. Spilled some. All said my evening went on too long. Just salad and an entree and we ate 1:45 later. Wish I had better to report but we could of easily skipped this one.
- Beware of slow nightsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Although this place is usually busy and the food is great , I set a reservation for our anniversary and a nice table in a certain area, the reservation wasn't looked up to see if any special info was informed. Then we waited for 10 mins. for one of two waiting on the entire room asked to help us. Once seated all was ok until food arrived. Asked for filet to be cooked medium and got medium -well and dry. Had better meal the last 2 times here. May give pass for off night.Special Features:
- Excellent eveningPhillytravelerDined on 10/17/2014Enjoyable evening returning to Newport after many years. Service was perfect. Food near perfect. Ambiance quiet. Dining room nicely appointed and maintained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great weekday special!Susie184Dined on 10/14/2014My husband and I were vacationing in Newport and we ate at Canfield House because we read a review online about the good food and twofers special. I believe the twofers is Tues., Wed. and Thursday. We enjoyed our delicious food so much we went back again on Thursday! The restaurant was pretty, the food was great and the wait staff couldn't have been more pleasant. A good find!Special Features:
- Fun Outing in a Bustling RestaurantLibrarianjoeVIPDined on 10/11/2014The Canfield House is truly one of the nicest restaurants in Newport, which is saying a lot as the dining scene has matured dramatically over the last ten years. The welcome by the owner is always warm and sincere. The very busy bar was expertly presided over by a single barman with no loss of attention. Dinner was wonderful, and all six dishes were fine. Wild Mushroom Ravioli were perfectly cooked with a superb blue cheese sauce. The single drawback was the table next to us who allowed their child to play a noisy game on her computer. This restaurant always feels more "Newport" than many others in town - you sense that your fellow diners are townspeople who seek a good meal (with a very nice wine list) in a place with a long history.Special Features:
- JohnBoyDined on 10/11/2014Great dining experience on a very busy Marathon weekend. Food was superb. Service exceptional. They accomodated a party of 12 with no problems. Staff is friendly and efficient. Would love to go back. Would recommend it highly to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KEENJVIPDined on 10/11/2014Our group had a very nice birthday dinner here. The dining room is lovely, and we had a nice corner table. The food overall was very good. I wasn't thrilled with the haddock. It was a bit bland and I felt it didn't have enough breadcrumbs on top. We had expected the restaurant to be more quiet, but it was a holiday weekend. Also, I had mentioned in the reservation notes that it was a birthday dinner, but they didn't follow up on that. Still, we all enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive!DoreenDined on 10/9/2014It's grand, gorgeous, but very comfortable. Food was outstanding! We had out of town guests so we wanted a wonderful experience for them, the night was a huge success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent - as always!CookieDined on 10/8/2014Whenever we're in Newport we make it a point to go to the Canfield House, which never disappoints. We go on a week night when the Wine & Dine Special is on, but we're just as likely to be too tempted by the regular menu and order from that. When cost was a major factor, the Wine & Dine Special was an excellent option - and still is, of course. Great menu, delicious food, caring and responsive servers, ample wine list, in an elegant and romantic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Celebrating my wife's birthday at the Canfield House could not have been better. The food was better than the menu described and delicious. The room was comfortable and the service was friendly and prompt. We are already making plans to go back again and again. The place is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MsbtxVIPDined on 10/3/2014Oysters Canfield appetiser had 4 plump oysters on shells with excellent herb seasoning.Special Features:
- A great restaurantGWilson1120Dined on 9/30/2014This was a truly great meal! The service was excellent and the food and wine were superb, in a grand dining room with nice lighting. The bar scene is elegant and the staff were absolutely fantastic. We were very pleased to have had the opportunity to dine in a good restaurant complimented by great staff.Special Features:
- good food and valuetskc1725Dined on 9/30/2014Our dinner was terrific! We had their $35 special for 2. Each of us could choose our main course from a very diverse menu. Not only could we choose our main course we had a choice of a bottle of red or white wine to share. I had chicken parmesan with linguini and my husband had a bowl of lobster soup that was extra but he loved it and chicken with mushroom which also was terrific. Our server had quick wit and added to a fun evening.We would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real GemLibrarianjoeVIPDined on 9/26/2014We've been returning to The Canfield House frequently on our trips to Newport. The greeting by the owner is always sincere and cordial. Servers are always right there for you. The food is prepared perfectly and the prices are reasonable. Good drinks too! I think this is a spot for real Newporters. They have the occasional large group but generally the crowd is convivial and out for a fine evening. And they get it too.Special Features:
- Great Foodcag1Dined on 9/25/2014Just great food, wonderful service and surroundings. I had the Pork Shank excellent and my husband the Pasta dish along with the bread and eggplant dip could not have been better. The mussels and clams app. just wonderful....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Great ambiance & old casino appearance. Food was superb, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came Highly Recommended...FelicificDined on 9/23/2014And met our expectations. We were staying at Victorian Ladies B&B two blocks away and asked for recommendations. The innkeeper without hesitation mentioned to go here for the Tuesday special, which we did. Excellent meal, excellent value, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesPilotDined on 9/23/2014Dining in the Canfield House is like dining in a real "Dining Room" not a ubiquitous restaurant pretending to be a dining room. An architectural masterpiece with high ceiling, beautiful woodwork, sumptuous surroundings, white table cloths, muted conversations, good wine list, cold martinis, pleasing menu with good value. I recommend the braised pork shank.Special Features:
- Excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014From the time we were greeted to the time that we departed we were treated to a warm enviting atmosophere and were treated like friends. It was especially nice to be thanked BY NAME on our arrival and departure.Special Features:
- Bargain special on a weeknightFoodisfunDined on 9/11/2014You get 2 entrees and a bottle of house wine for two people for $35. Good value for the price. The wine was very ordinary but fine for what we paid.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014I wouldn't recommend it as I was disappointed in the quality of the food . I asked our waitress for more butter which we never received. My steak was on the tough side and overcooked after I specifically asked for it to be pink. since we didn't order from the special menu I was expecting it to be much better. The veggies left a little bit to be desired.
- Perfect Anniversary dinnerPrmri9Dined on 9/6/2014Atmosphere unsurpassed... everything ordered was superb from the appetizers to the desert.. presentation was exquisite only surpassed by the quality of the food! Service of waitstaff was excellent...& owner was very warm and friendly...we will definitely be back,,,Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Went to the Canfield House with sisters! Food and service was excellent. Our server was very attentive and friendly. It was a great dining experience. We would definitely return there if we are in the area. The filet was so tender and the fish was so fresh! The desserts were great also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CanfieldJanmcDined on 9/3/2014Everything was outstanding! I recommend it all. Food, service, and ambiance were all 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/31/2014Our meal was during Labor Day weekend as one of our group was craving lobster mac & cheese which is on the menu. Made reservation, were asked to wait 5 min. at the bar for our table, finally seated 30 min later AFTER going to hostess to check on status & being told we "had been seated". Wait staff was very good. After placing order were told they were out of lobster mac & cheese. Lobster WAS still on the menu. We think the chef was just grumpy…kinda like yes we have tea, yes we have ice, but "no" we do NOT have iced tea. Bouillabaisse was substituted and was actually the tastiest of the three meals. Too many other better places in town w/ better food, attitude & service. (Also, didn't check us in re: Open Table reservation.)
- Great everytime.AmazingVIPDined on 8/31/2014You cannot go wrong going to the Canfield House. Everyone from the hostess to the waitresses are very nice. The building is very charming. We had the baked haddock and root beer short ribs. Amazing!!!! And i recommend the lobster mac and cheese as an appetizer! This place is on my to do list everytime i come to Newport.Special Features:
- Beautiful ambiance & excellent foodLadyinredDined on 8/31/2014My husband & I dined at the Canfield House on Labor Day weekend, & enjoyed the wonderful ambiance it offered. It was quite busy, & since we arrived early, we sat in the lovely bar & had a cocktail. Once we were seated & reviewed the menu, we found many mouthwatering choices. We ultimately ordered the fried calamari, 2 different salads, a chicken dish & the lobster pie. The fried calamari was crisp & had a terrific sauce. Both salads were enjoyed, & my husband found his chicken to be delicious. I loved the lobster pie, & although I really tried, I could not eat a morsel more....so.... my husband finished it! While service was a little slow, it was only because the wait staff were very busy. They certainly hustled! We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, pretty slow servicetheChucksterDined on 8/30/2014Loved the interior setting -- very Newport. Food was excellent. Wife had scallops that were some of the best she has ever had. I particularly loved the Oysters Canfield. We were in no hurry, so pace was not an issue, but we can see why some reviewers got aggravated with the slowness. Will be one of our regular places when in Newport.Special Features: