The Canfield House
5 Memorial Boulevard
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Canfield House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.canfieldhousenewport.com/
- Phone: 4018470416
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm to 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Maggie Wiggins 4018470416
A word from The Canfield House
Welcome to the Canfield House Restaurant. Once an estate and lavish casino the Canfield House is one of Newport's most historic landmarks and has been restored to it's original 1860's architecture.Experience contemporary American cuisine at it's best.Offering fresh local seafood and game entrees, as well as tavern fare.A treasure to locals and visitor's world wide, the Canfield House restaurant is a dining experience not to be missed while visiting Newport. We are nestled in Historic Hill just steps from famous Bellevue Avenue and the Newport Tennis Hall of Fame.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Canfield House - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Canfield House reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (66)romantic (50)neighborhood gem (48)fit for foodies (45)good for groups (35)notable wine list (21)great for outdoor dining (15)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (3)great for lunch (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014We were a group of 8 who were on a long weekend in Newport. We chose the Canfield House based on the Open Table reviews and it did not disappoint. Our food was delicious. THe environment was elegant. Service was terrific. I would certainly recommend to anyone and will revisit when we return to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did they Forget about us?RichBVIPDined on 10/18/2014Had dinner reservations last Saturday at 7:00. Must of been a very popular time as the place was packed, in fact we waited a few minutes. The hostess was competent but lacked poise. Not sure how else to say it. In fact that would be a similar description for our waitress Denise. Competent but not professional in her manner. i.e. pepper over a good part of the table as she tried to hit the salad. Brought out wine in the wrong glass, her fix? Lets poor it into a new glass right at the table, oops. Spilled some. All said my evening went on too long. Just salad and an entree and we ate 1:45 later. Wish I had better to report but we could of easily skipped this one.
- Beware of slow nightsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Although this place is usually busy and the food is great , I set a reservation for our anniversary and a nice table in a certain area, the reservation wasn't looked up to see if any special info was informed. Then we waited for 10 mins. for one of two waiting on the entire room asked to help us. Once seated all was ok until food arrived. Asked for filet to be cooked medium and got medium -well and dry. Had better meal the last 2 times here. May give pass for off night.Special Features:
- Excellent eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Enjoyable evening returning to Newport after many years. Service was perfect. Food near perfect. Ambiance quiet. Dining room nicely appointed and maintained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great weekday special!Susie184Dined on 10/14/2014My husband and I were vacationing in Newport and we ate at Canfield House because we read a review online about the good food and twofers special. I believe the twofers is Tues., Wed. and Thursday. We enjoyed our delicious food so much we went back again on Thursday! The restaurant was pretty, the food was great and the wait staff couldn't have been more pleasant. A good find!Special Features:
- Fun Outing in a Bustling RestaurantLibrarianjoeVIPDined on 10/11/2014The Canfield House is truly one of the nicest restaurants in Newport, which is saying a lot as the dining scene has matured dramatically over the last ten years. The welcome by the owner is always warm and sincere. The very busy bar was expertly presided over by a single barman with no loss of attention. Dinner was wonderful, and all six dishes were fine. Wild Mushroom Ravioli were perfectly cooked with a superb blue cheese sauce. The single drawback was the table next to us who allowed their child to play a noisy game on her computer. This restaurant always feels more "Newport" than many others in town - you sense that your fellow diners are townspeople who seek a good meal (with a very nice wine list) in a place with a long history.Special Features:
- JohnBoyDined on 10/11/2014Great dining experience on a very busy Marathon weekend. Food was superb. Service exceptional. They accomodated a party of 12 with no problems. Staff is friendly and efficient. Would love to go back. Would recommend it highly to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KEENJVIPDined on 10/11/2014Our group had a very nice birthday dinner here. The dining room is lovely, and we had a nice corner table. The food overall was very good. I wasn't thrilled with the haddock. It was a bit bland and I felt it didn't have enough breadcrumbs on top. We had expected the restaurant to be more quiet, but it was a holiday weekend. Also, I had mentioned in the reservation notes that it was a birthday dinner, but they didn't follow up on that. Still, we all enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive!DoreenDined on 10/9/2014It's grand, gorgeous, but very comfortable. Food was outstanding! We had out of town guests so we wanted a wonderful experience for them, the night was a huge success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent - as always!CookieDined on 10/8/2014Whenever we're in Newport we make it a point to go to the Canfield House, which never disappoints. We go on a week night when the Wine & Dine Special is on, but we're just as likely to be too tempted by the regular menu and order from that. When cost was a major factor, the Wine & Dine Special was an excellent option - and still is, of course. Great menu, delicious food, caring and responsive servers, ample wine list, in an elegant and romantic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Celebrating my wife's birthday at the Canfield House could not have been better. The food was better than the menu described and delicious. The room was comfortable and the service was friendly and prompt. We are already making plans to go back again and again. The place is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MsbtxVIPDined on 10/3/2014Oysters Canfield appetiser had 4 plump oysters on shells with excellent herb seasoning.Special Features:
- A great restaurantGWilson1120Dined on 9/30/2014This was a truly great meal! The service was excellent and the food and wine were superb, in a grand dining room with nice lighting. The bar scene is elegant and the staff were absolutely fantastic. We were very pleased to have had the opportunity to dine in a good restaurant complimented by great staff.Special Features:
- good food and valuetskc1725Dined on 9/30/2014Our dinner was terrific! We had their $35 special for 2. Each of us could choose our main course from a very diverse menu. Not only could we choose our main course we had a choice of a bottle of red or white wine to share. I had chicken parmesan with linguini and my husband had a bowl of lobster soup that was extra but he loved it and chicken with mushroom which also was terrific. Our server had quick wit and added to a fun evening.We would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real GemLibrarianjoeVIPDined on 9/26/2014We've been returning to The Canfield House frequently on our trips to Newport. The greeting by the owner is always sincere and cordial. Servers are always right there for you. The food is prepared perfectly and the prices are reasonable. Good drinks too! I think this is a spot for real Newporters. They have the occasional large group but generally the crowd is convivial and out for a fine evening. And they get it too.Special Features:
- Great Foodcag1Dined on 9/25/2014Just great food, wonderful service and surroundings. I had the Pork Shank excellent and my husband the Pasta dish along with the bread and eggplant dip could not have been better. The mussels and clams app. just wonderful....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Great ambiance & old casino appearance. Food was superb, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came Highly Recommended...FelicificDined on 9/23/2014And met our expectations. We were staying at Victorian Ladies B&B two blocks away and asked for recommendations. The innkeeper without hesitation mentioned to go here for the Tuesday special, which we did. Excellent meal, excellent value, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesPilotDined on 9/23/2014Dining in the Canfield House is like dining in a real "Dining Room" not a ubiquitous restaurant pretending to be a dining room. An architectural masterpiece with high ceiling, beautiful woodwork, sumptuous surroundings, white table cloths, muted conversations, good wine list, cold martinis, pleasing menu with good value. I recommend the braised pork shank.Special Features:
- Excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014From the time we were greeted to the time that we departed we were treated to a warm enviting atmosophere and were treated like friends. It was especially nice to be thanked BY NAME on our arrival and departure.Special Features:
- Bargain special on a weeknightFoodisfunDined on 9/11/2014You get 2 entrees and a bottle of house wine for two people for $35. Good value for the price. The wine was very ordinary but fine for what we paid.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014I wouldn't recommend it as I was disappointed in the quality of the food . I asked our waitress for more butter which we never received. My steak was on the tough side and overcooked after I specifically asked for it to be pink. since we didn't order from the special menu I was expecting it to be much better. The veggies left a little bit to be desired.
- Perfect Anniversary dinnerPrmri9Dined on 9/6/2014Atmosphere unsurpassed... everything ordered was superb from the appetizers to the desert.. presentation was exquisite only surpassed by the quality of the food! Service of waitstaff was excellent...& owner was very warm and friendly...we will definitely be back,,,Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014Went to the Canfield House with sisters! Food and service was excellent. Our server was very attentive and friendly. It was a great dining experience. We would definitely return there if we are in the area. The filet was so tender and the fish was so fresh! The desserts were great also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CanfieldJanmcDined on 9/3/2014Everything was outstanding! I recommend it all. Food, service, and ambiance were all 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/31/2014Our meal was during Labor Day weekend as one of our group was craving lobster mac & cheese which is on the menu. Made reservation, were asked to wait 5 min. at the bar for our table, finally seated 30 min later AFTER going to hostess to check on status & being told we "had been seated". Wait staff was very good. After placing order were told they were out of lobster mac & cheese. Lobster WAS still on the menu. We think the chef was just grumpy…kinda like yes we have tea, yes we have ice, but "no" we do NOT have iced tea. Bouillabaisse was substituted and was actually the tastiest of the three meals. Too many other better places in town w/ better food, attitude & service. (Also, didn't check us in re: Open Table reservation.)
- Great everytime.AmazingVIPDined on 8/31/2014You cannot go wrong going to the Canfield House. Everyone from the hostess to the waitresses are very nice. The building is very charming. We had the baked haddock and root beer short ribs. Amazing!!!! And i recommend the lobster mac and cheese as an appetizer! This place is on my to do list everytime i come to Newport.Special Features:
- Beautiful ambiance & excellent foodLadyinredDined on 8/31/2014My husband & I dined at the Canfield House on Labor Day weekend, & enjoyed the wonderful ambiance it offered. It was quite busy, & since we arrived early, we sat in the lovely bar & had a cocktail. Once we were seated & reviewed the menu, we found many mouthwatering choices. We ultimately ordered the fried calamari, 2 different salads, a chicken dish & the lobster pie. The fried calamari was crisp & had a terrific sauce. Both salads were enjoyed, & my husband found his chicken to be delicious. I loved the lobster pie, & although I really tried, I could not eat a morsel more....so.... my husband finished it! While service was a little slow, it was only because the wait staff were very busy. They certainly hustled! We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, pretty slow servicetheChucksterDined on 8/30/2014Loved the interior setting -- very Newport. Food was excellent. Wife had scallops that were some of the best she has ever had. I particularly loved the Oysters Canfield. We were in no hurry, so pace was not an issue, but we can see why some reviewers got aggravated with the slowness. Will be one of our regular places when in Newport.Special Features:
- Wonderful atmosphere, good foodDMSConcordDined on 8/29/2014Gorgeous Inn with spectacular dining room. My wife thought that the Bolognese was the best she's ever had. My salmon over risotto had wonderful risotto, but the salmon itself, although good, was a bit too plain for my tastes. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Borderline1Borderline1Dined on 8/28/2014A beautiful venue, impeccably maintained and it was our honor to have been able to enjoy such a fine meal with excellent service. The Canfield House is Newport, miss it and you missed what Newport is all about.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerPickyspouse1113Dined on 8/28/2014After reading many restaurant reviews, I chose Canfields for our special dinner. The waitress was one of the best I have ever had . The food was excellent and the price amazing. We would definitely go there again on any visit to newport!Special Features:
- Prix Fixe dinnerSusieDined on 8/28/2014Delicious dinner at Canfield House. This was our 2nd meal this week at this restaurant. Denise, our server remembered us from our first visit and treated us to a lovely dinner. The restaurant is housed in a lovely old building that was a gaming hall in the early 1900's. The food is top quality and we highly recommend it! Dinner was $35 for 2 and included a bottle of either merlot or chardonney. We chose the chardonney and it was wonderful! We had a s'more tart for dessert that would have been better had the marshmellow topping been heated - but the flavors were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatcloutDined on 8/26/2014It is always a pleasure to dine there. food is always wonderful and the atmosphere is greatSpecial Features:
- Great time!LoveDiningInRIDined on 8/23/2014Had the pleasure of dining at Canfield House on a recent Saturday evening. Although busy, the service was prompt and friendly and the food was amazing. Highly recommend the Lobster Bisque and the Pear Salad for appetizers and both the Pasta Bolognese and the Lobster and Scallop Pie entrees were fantastic! Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- Satisfied!mac0903VIPDined on 8/22/2014Food was great! Service was awesome. Loved the atmosphere!! Will definitely be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canfield House-We Love It!lambchopDined on 8/22/2014Whether you order the lobster and scallop pie or the steak frites, the entrees are superb. Other favorites include the duck and the lamb chops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Canfield housesurfcitygeneDined on 8/21/2014This was our most enjoyable meal in Newport, so much so we had to come back for our last night before going back home. The food was very good and not over priced. You can imagine what the gambling must have been like in there back in the day if only the walls could talk. The two for one meal is not to be missed on weeknights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHGpgwarwickDined on 8/15/2014Wonderful atmosphere and away from the hustle and bustle of the Thames Street crowds. Excellent dining selection and always outstanding preparation and presentation. Definitely a plus for the Newport dining scene. Highly recommended for a nice quite dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great History misses markKidfromMaineDined on 8/14/2014The Canfield house though deep in history missed its mark with slow service and underperformed with delivering a cold steak frites. The up side dining room was beautiful our waitress did a great job, however management needs to evaluate the kitchen and may need to add a server or two to speed up service. This may be a summer thong in Newport as all of the local restaurants seem to be in same boat. The appetizers were great, the wine list although not extensive provided value and we would try again in future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.