The Canfield House
5 Memorial Boulevard
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Canfield House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.canfieldhousenewport.com/
- Phone: 4018470416
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm to 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Maggie Wiggins 4018470416
A word from The Canfield House
Welcome to the Canfield House Restaurant. Once an estate and lavish casino the Canfield House is one of Newport's most historic landmarks and has been restored to it's original 1860's architecture.Experience contemporary American cuisine at it's best.Offering fresh local seafood and game entrees, as well as tavern fare.A treasure to locals and visitor's world wide, the Canfield House restaurant is a dining experience not to be missed while visiting Newport. We are nestled in Historic Hill just steps from famous Bellevue Avenue and the Newport Tennis Hall of Fame.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Canfield House - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
The Canfield House reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (51)romantic (36)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (24)fit for foodies (20)notable wine list (16)great for outdoor dining (11)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- always greatcloutDined on 8/26/2014It is always a pleasure to dine there. food is always wonderful and the atmosphere is greatSpecial Features:
- Great time!LoveDiningInRIDined on 8/23/2014Had the pleasure of dining at Canfield House on a recent Saturday evening. Although busy, the service was prompt and friendly and the food was amazing. Highly recommend the Lobster Bisque and the Pear Salad for appetizers and both the Pasta Bolognese and the Lobster and Scallop Pie entrees were fantastic! Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- Satisfied!mac0903VIPDined on 8/22/2014Food was great! Service was awesome. Loved the atmosphere!! Will definitely be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Canfield housesurfcitygeneDined on 8/21/2014This was our most enjoyable meal in Newport, so much so we had to come back for our last night before going back home. The food was very good and not over priced. You can imagine what the gambling must have been like in there back in the day if only the walls could talk. The two for one meal is not to be missed on weeknights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PHGpgwarwickDined on 8/15/2014Wonderful atmosphere and away from the hustle and bustle of the Thames Street crowds. Excellent dining selection and always outstanding preparation and presentation. Definitely a plus for the Newport dining scene. Highly recommended for a nice quite dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great History misses markKidfromMaineDined on 8/14/2014The Canfield house though deep in history missed its mark with slow service and underperformed with delivering a cold steak frites. The up side dining room was beautiful our waitress did a great job, however management needs to evaluate the kitchen and may need to add a server or two to speed up service. This may be a summer thong in Newport as all of the local restaurants seem to be in same boat. The appetizers were great, the wine list although not extensive provided value and we would try again in future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite didn't disappointSailorBillDined on 8/13/2014Canfield House is one of our favorites. It is a beaufitful old place and the food is good. The weekday "wine and dine" specials are a particularly good deal. We took visiting friends, and all were pleased with our dinners and the experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Mansion with a RestaurantHdhejVIPDined on 8/10/2014This restaurant is in a nice mansion looking place with 4 guest rooms upstairs. They have a nice outdoor and indoor bar. The main dining room is lined with this dark oak paneling on the lower part of the wall and on the ceiling. The food was very good and they accommodated my Mother's diet of gluten and dairy. Her review is that it was all tasty. Mine was also perfect. She got the filet and I got the seafood trio with wine and tomato. The mushroom risotto was so creamy!I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of top restaurants in the statemiloDined on 8/7/2014Enjoyed an extremely pleasant evening with friends at the Canfield House and thoroughly enjoyed it all. Food, service, ambiance and meeting some other folks in the restaurant. Looking forward to a return, with or without friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 8/3/2014We have dined at the Canfield House several times in the past and have consistently found it to be exceptional in every way.My husband had the mixed grill last time which is a meatlovers fantasy and I had the seafood alfredo,generous portions of lobster,scallops and shrimp,almost too big to finish but I had to!We have recommended the Canfield House to others and will return whenever we crave a special night out in NewportSpecial Features:
- Truly a favoriterobing2748Dined on 7/31/2014We come to Newport each year for the Jazz and always come to Canfield House one evening. It looks like a more formal, elegant dining experience but doesn't have a stuffy bone in its body. The food is excellent. I had mussels and little necks and my husband had the lobster pot pie which was absolutely luscious!! Our friends had never been and really loved everything. Don't hesitate to come here. You won't be disappointed!!Special Features:
- Classic New EnglandllllVIPDined on 7/27/2014We were the only table on a Sunday night, late. Our waitress and staff could not have been more patient as we lingered over our last meal in lovely Newport. Our only complaint was that the portions were a bit large. The food was terrific, especially the shrimp appetizer and the seafood pot pie.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Food very good. Little expansive but overall quality/price is good.Special Features:
- Among the very bestShutterBugDined on 7/24/2014We are here each year for two weeks, and this week alone we ate three times at Canfield. Only once was the noise level high, when there was a party of 13 diners trying to talk with each other. We run out of days long before we run out of desirable menu choices. The food is reliably good and not outrageously priced, the menu is interesting, and the servers are friendly. I would gladly keep eating their Oysters Canfield appetizers until they stopped bringing them to me. It is THE place we select to treat our musician friends from the Chamber Music Festival.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely night outRIresidentDined on 7/24/2014Canfield House was a great spot to invite some out of town guests for dinner. Everyone had the lobster mac and cheese and while we had it as a starter, the portions were big enough to be a main course for the women. I am certainly having it again.Special Features:
- Loved it!lisa1988Dined on 7/22/2014We chose Canfield House for our anniversary dinner based on reviews from here and tripadvisor and were not disappointed. Menu had so many delicious options to choose from and we loved the calamari and the mushroom ravioli as apps. Had a nice bottle of Kim Crawford to go with the salmon and bouillabaisse. Salmon was cooked perfectly. Everything was wonderful and the service was delightful. Did not go with the weeknight dinner special of $35 for dinner and wine but could see that many were choosing this option around us. There were some good choices on the menu for this but none appealed to us that evening.Special Features:
- definitely be backbarscoDined on 7/19/2014Great food. Great service. Great prices. My sister and I both enjoyed the root beer short ribs. They were very flavorful served with a mixture of beets, white and sweet potatoes. I'd definitely recommend this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulDined on 7/19/2014Long standing Newport option. Good quality food. Per my guest that was very familiar with Canfield House..."You can always expect a good meal. Filled with local families, not so much a tourist spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindlisaDined on 7/18/2014We made last minute reservations for a Friday night and were promptly seated by the hostess. Although our waitress had many large parties we were serviced in a timely fashion. The food was extraordinary, the dining room was beautiful, the staff attentive. Definitely a place we will eat at again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful anniversary dinnerJOJODined on 7/16/2014We celebrated our anniversary with a wonderful dinner at Canfield House. Our food was well-prepared and attractively presented. The server was attentive but not intrusive. Her descriptions of menu items were enticing. The desserts were delicious and just the right size to tempt us. The gleaming paneled walls and ceiling are just lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good service was slowOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/12/2014The food was great, but the service was excruciatingly slow. After 15 mins we had to get up and get our own menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhilVDined on 7/11/2014Canfield haas been a long time favorite. Every time we visit the food and service has been excellent and never disappoints. Cuisine is among the best in Newport. We recommend this to anyone visiting Newport who wants to get away from downtown touristy food factories. It is next to the Newport Tennis Hall of Fame, but not too far off the beaten path.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Atmosphere & Wonderful FoodtheportsmouthoutoftownerDined on 7/5/2014Canfield House is one of my husband's and my FAVORITE restaurants in Newport! The food is consistently delicious, with interesting menu selections. The service is great; waitresses are engaging, knowledgeable and offer suggestions for both food and drinks! This is a wonderful choice for a romantic dinner or a special occasion party on a small scale! We enjoy taking friends from out of town to this converted gambling hall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerFredchDined on 6/29/2014Probably our 10th visit both early and late. Consistently pleasant and a nice place to have an elegant dinner or drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canfield DelightlambchopDined on 6/28/2014We love dining at the Canfield House. From the rack of lamb to the lobster and scallop pie, not to mention the lobster bisque and the French onion soup, everything has a unique taste that leaves you satisfied. We love the feeling of yesteryear thinking of a time when gentlemen gamblers filled the room. The hostess and wait staff are top notch. We can't wait to return in August.Special Features:
- Newport dining without the noisemom2tristanVIPDined on 6/28/2014We went to Canfield House on recommendation of the innkeeper where we were staying. I checked out their website before we went, and wasn't wowed, but we gave it a try. I'm so glad we did! Unlike other Newport options, Canfield a House is quiet and intimate. (it's a 10 minute walk from the waterfront) We had 7pm reservations on a Saturday night, and while the restaurant was busy, it wasn't crowded or too loud. We were greeted by one of the owners and given an intimate corner seat. The staff were all attentive without hovering. We knew we were going to have a good meal when we wanted everything on the appetizer and salad menu. We shared mussels and clams, the cheese plate (amazing!) and the seared scallops. Portions were generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine & DinespecialDined on 6/26/2014The ability to take advantage of the Wine & Dine for a great Anniversary surprise was just right. Service was very good and servers were very friendly. They made us feel like we were the only ones there, except the noise level was fairly high. My meal was good (Bolognese), but I found a shrimp crustacean shell in it. The server was very good about it and compensated us with a complimentary dessert which I thought was nice.Special Features:
- Great eats at a great priceDealDinerDined on 6/25/2014We had the wine and dine special, 2 entrees and a bottle of wine for $35. Can't beat the price but the food was fantastic to boot !!! Highly recommend this restaurant. Free parking is also a boon.Special Features:
- Great find!CherVIPDined on 6/21/2014We needed a special restaurant for a birthday dinner and found it! Service and food was impeccable. We had prime rib and haddock dinners. And it is in walking distance to all the B&B's in Newport and a lovely walk back to ours after dinner. I'd certainly recommend to anyone wanting a great meal. A bit conservative in atmosphere after going to marina seafood restaurants and bars, but great for old world charm and elegance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great priceDealDinerDined on 6/19/2014We ate the WINE AND DINE meal ... 2 entrees & bottle of wine for $35, to which we each added a $4 salad and I had a gelato dessert. Our waitress was very friendly but sloshed wine as if in a different category of restaurant but she was attentive and efficient. Dinner came with great artisan bread,too. Free parking ... Rare in Newport.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2014So glad a friend recommended Canfield House. It was very good and the restaurant itself has a warm, elegant, feel. It was only my first time to Newport but would definitely eat there again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambianceNewportTonyDined on 6/14/2014Along with my wife and I, a bunch of friends try to get into Newport every weekend. Whenever we have the occasion for an extra fancy get together we generally pick the Canfield House. The food and service here are always consistently good. The food is exceptional - from appetizer to dessert. We've never had a bad experience and always look forward to a dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealGolfoodieVIPDined on 6/5/2014We had a reasonably priced dinner. The two entrees included a bottle of wine. The steak frites was prepared med rare and the French fries with truffle oil were hard to leave on the plate. Attentive staff.Special Features:
- Night on the townblondieDined on 6/4/2014We enjoyed learning about the history of the restaurant. The food was very tasty and I would recommend it to others.Special Features:
- A wonderful nightTYTOP5Dined on 5/29/2014We have dinner here every time we come to Newport. Sent friends here. Brought my parents from NJ to celebrate Dad's 90th Birthday. Always look forward to dinner at the Canfield House. The dining room is beautiful and we always feel special. The food has always been delicious. It's nice to see the same waiter and his friendly style. We also tried the dinner for 2 twice and it's the best deal in all Newport with the same fine food. We go out to dinner several times a week in NJ & NYC and rate the Canfield House in the top 5. Thank you for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014The two guest and myself, had a wonderful dinner and a lovely evening. THANK YOUSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous graduation dinner.BFamilyfoodiesDined on 5/18/2014Our family booked reservations for 6 people for a family graduation dinner after our son graduated from URI. Because of the uncertainty of the length of the ceremonies we arrived at the restaurant an hour early but we were graciously seated anyway. Our waitress was very friendly and knowledgable about the menu and made suggestions that we followed to our great satisfaction. Three of us had the Seafood Alfredo and it was simply delicious with so many large piece of scallops and shrimp that one person had to share hers with others. The other three had prime rib and steaks and again, no one was disappointed. We will definitely come again and have already raved to others about our experience. Beautiful setting too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and A Great Night OutLibrarianjoeVIPDined on 5/17/2014We've been a few times before and this last trip may see us becoming much more frequent guests. While waiting, various staff members told us that Maggie would be right with us. Very nice of them all in making us feel welcome. Maggie seated us promptly and Stephanie took orders promptly and efficiently, with friendliness and charm. Our dinner (a wonderfully prepared calamari and a French onion soup, then expertly prepared scallops and a delicious prime rib) was top-notch. I was tempted by the soup (Vermont cheddar bisque with ham) and mentioned that it sounded wonderful. Stephanie very thoughtfully brought a demitasse to try. An A-1 evening out with good drinks, great food, and a lot of warmth.Special Features:
- Poor Service/Good foodPuckyLDined on 5/16/2014I ordered lobster bisque and the lamb chop appetizer....was brought lamb chop dinner which was more than I could eat or wanted to pay for after my 12 hour drive there. The waitress was most unattentive. Very disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy with Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We did a Mother's Day brunch at Canfield House and while I expected good food based on the restaurant's reputation, what they delivered exceeded my expectations. All the normal breakfast foods were executed perfectly, but in addition, the Chicken Parmesan and baked fish were to die for - in a buffet! Creative and excellent salads and mounds of cheeses and smoked salmon rounded out one of those buffets that make you overeat. The ambiance was 19th Century elegance in their main dining room and the service was friendly and efficient, making you feel like a special friend. The nice thing about Canfield House is that its acoustics make it quiet so that you can have a conversation even in the big dining room filled with people.Special Features: