The Cafe Carlyle
35 East 76th St.
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
The Cafe Carlyle
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thecarlyle.com/
- Phone: 2127441600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, French
- Executive Chef: Rolf Weithofer
- Dress Code: Jacket Required
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Cover charge, $75.00 per person and up, depending on performing artist. A la Carte menu available.
- Private Party Contact: Catering 2125707123
- Entertainment: Jazz and Cabaret featuring the likes of Woody Allen on Mondays only and other artists. Please see our Event Calendar at http://www.thecarlyle.com
for more information.
A word from The Cafe Carlyle
The Cafe is open from Monday through Saturday. Decorated with Vertes Murals, this legendary cabaret is an intimate venue in which to enjoy superb French culinary creations. Kindly note this reservation is for dinner prior to Café Carlyle’s scheduled music performance at 8:45pm. A cover charge will apply for the performance and varies according to artist. Please check our entertainment calendar at www.thecarlyle.com to confirm artist and pricing. Dinner is required for 6:30, 7:00 or 7:30 seatings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Cafe Carlyle reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (5)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (2)neighborhood gem (1)good for groups (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Once was more than enoughcatearlissVIPDined on 6/6/2014Had wanted to go to the famous Cafe Carlyle for years. If you can see a performer in any other venue do it! Horrible cramped room, lousy service and bad food. Only worth it if you adore the performer. Even then the show is relatively short.Special Features:
- 35TH Anniversary.. BEST EVERahiddengem2Dined on 5/31/2014wanted to do something memorable for our anniversary and I remembered the Carlyle. What a hidden jewel. A throw back to when men wore jackets and women dressed up for dinner. Service was impeccable and the food and wine were perfect. Megan Hilty's performance was fantastic. From a beautiful duet with her husband and band member Brian Gallagher, to Rainbow Connection from the Muppet movie we were moved. So nice to see a 4pc band instead of a person with a keyboard. Enjoyed our special night so much. Have not stopped talking about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diningBartDined on 5/31/2014The reason to go to Cafe is for the entertainment. It is not relaxed dining as everything depends on show time. Better for late show with lighter fare and excellent drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Evening at Cafe CarlyleLaurenVIPDined on 5/29/2014My girlfriend an I dined at Cafe Carlyle to see Megan Hilty perform. I had purchased the tickets and dinner via a Gilt City voucher, so wasn't sure what to expect. The staff was incredibly accomodating and welcoming, despite the fact I was there on a coupon. We had a wonderful evening and the performance was superb. This is such a wonderful gem of a place that you'll only find in NYC. Absolutely loved it.Special Features:
- The following 156 reviews are from the The Cafe Carlyle reviews archive.
- ClassictimmmykVIPDined on 5/22/2014Beautiful room, terrific service. great atmosphere, delicious food. Our Captain, Chuck, is a treasure.Special Features:
- Great service & entertianmentOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/13/2014If it wasn't for the entertanment, we would NEVER go back there ...the price of the dinner was VERY high for the quality. In ea city of the best food in the world, this cafe needs cooking training....the food was very old fashion and everything overcooked. The service professional.Special Features:
- Not worth the moneyBeatrizDined on 5/10/2014The show wasnt what I've expected. The singer Steve Tyrell is not a good singer. He may be a good showman, but very old fashioned. The food was ok but very very modest in quantity, and the waiter was too busy too serve us with care. We had to borrow the Menu from the couple sitting next to us. The monday night shows with Woody Alen are for sure worth the money.Special Features:
- DonaldoDined on 5/3/2014Unique entertainment cFe dining NYC one of a kind.Special Features:
- Greast EntertainmentannieDined on 5/2/2014We went to the Café Carlyle to see Tommy Tune perform. He was wonderful! Unfortunately the food was not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and entertainmentdandyabouttownDined on 5/1/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at the cafe Carlyle. The performer - Tommy Tune was very entertaining and the food was excellent. Overall, a great value evening in a friendly place with a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- DISAPPOINTEDDined on 5/1/2014TABLES WERE TOO CLOSE TOGETHER. WAITERS BUMPED MY CHAIR REPEATEDLY. OUR WAIT FOR DESSERT WAS MUCH TOO LONG.
- Great experienceBrittosbookDined on 4/23/2014Although crowded, it a great place to participate from the cultural american way of life. Good shows, excelente food, good wines!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True New York ExperienceTheAussiesDined on 4/16/2014We wanted to go to a true New York Supper Club and see a live act and our research took us to the Cafe Carlyle. The food was great and we saw Lucille Arnaz who not only had a fabulous voice but was a true performer. We had a very memorable time. Our only regret is that we live in Australia and New York is such a long flight away that we can't go more often.Special Features:
- Dinner and an almost showtrvlgirl1VIPDined on 4/12/2014Food was good not great...service was attentive and nice..wine list very unremarkable and desert ok Cooked well assembled nicely Served promptlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy dinnerJazzydoDined on 4/9/2014Love this neighborhood gem. Great service, love the music, great food too. Always a top rated class act.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner and showSHLEI688Dined on 4/1/2014I had a wonderful dinner and Alexa Ray Joel openning show with my family .every thing were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was there to hear John PizzarelliOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/28/2014I was there to hear John Pizzarelli perform which was wonderful. I think that a lot of the appeal of this room depends on who the musical act is that night. That said, I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- I came for the artists whoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2014I came for the artists who were performing . Great showroom with great talent always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service and entertainmentmarcopolodinerDined on 3/22/2014Took my mother-in-law for her 92 nd birthday -- she loves John Pizzarelli and he was great. He and Martin were sweet to her stopping to see her after concert. Our captain and server were fantastic and so was the food. First class all the way!! I could not be happier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The focus here is obviouslyrestauraterVIPDined on 3/22/2014The focus here is obviously on the jazz performance, but the food is excellent, and so is the service. We don't go to many jazz clubs, but this is our favorite.Special Features:
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2014We had a great time - Saw Shirley Jones and she was sensational!!!Special Features:
- Cabaret yes, dinner noOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/15/2014At these prices, I expect stellar service.Kitchen and staff were clearly in the weeds.We weren't offered refills of our water; nor from the bread basket. Ordered dessert and coffee; coffee came (cold already) but then waited half an hour for dessert. No adjustment made to check; and I had to wolf down my dessert in the dark during the show, when we had specifically booked our dinner reservation almost 2 hours early so that we could eat a leisurely meal. Staff and kitchen clearly can't keep up with cabaret room demands, which is shocking after so many years. Would not go back except to see a performer at the top of my list; and then would only go for the F&B minimum. Food tasted good, but loses stars for lousy service. Disappointing.Special Features:
- john lloyd young is simply the bestloooveditDined on 2/8/2014food was great, service was exquisite but the entertainment was to die for.... Absolutely loved john lloyd young and i would strongly recommend that the carlyle invites him more than once or twice a year to perform... He is the best of all young singers (and old) out thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Music Mediocre Expensive FoodMikeADined on 1/24/2014Saw Sutton Foster. Great show. But a very expensive night. The food was good, but I would never go to the Café Carlyle for dinner only. A nice place for something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/17/2014Beautiful room with murals. Very classy but bring your wallet.Special Features:
- Sutton Foster & Michael RafterSlalomDined on 1/15/2014The show is what made our evening. What a magical night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CAFE CARLYLEREDSELFDined on 12/20/2013LOVELY XMAS CELEBRATION WITH STEVE TYRELL PERFORMING PERFECT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit to Cafe CarlyleLeapsterDined on 12/12/2013Our first visit - planned well ahead as part of our Christmas trip to the City. Great evening. Steve Tyrell just as good as I imagined - especially in this intimate setting. Some tables were close but we had seats on the wall. Will definitely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Night showMattWDined on 12/6/2013We booked to see Steve Tyrell in the late spot at 10:45pm. They seemed to be overrunning and eventually we were seated by 11:15pm though this wasn't a problem as gave great opportunity for people watching! Though expensive it was worth it, as if you're not wanting to spend then this isn't the place for you to go. As it was the late show food service was optional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningfnewmanDined on 12/5/2013The Cafe Carlyle is a rare venue in today's world. An intimate setting, filed with great food and outstanding entertainment that is not to be missed when in New York city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CabaretJennyDined on 11/30/2013Great for listening to a favorite singer (Steve Tyrell), but not for foodies. Expensive and food mediocre, but you can't beat it for a taste of old New York and a special evening.Special Features:
- Go for the Music, NOT the FooddowneyjusticeDined on 11/27/2013Great place, with great music, but the food was mediocre at best and the service, at times, was rude, but quick with an open palm expecting a large tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably the best they can doWillMEDined on 11/21/2013At best a so-so experience. The challenge is to serve the whole room close to simultaneously since this is a jazz performance venue, and it is not a challenge the restaurant is capable of meeting successfully. Our food was generally bland, and one fish entree was decidedly overcooked. Service is chaotic; you can't tell when you will see your server next. We were brought one incorrect appetizer and not sure who to ask to exchange it for the right one. Since they charge top dollar (and the credit slip has a blank for tipping the captain), I was expecting very good food and excellent, caring service, with an old-world feel (which I like). None of this happened, including the latter; it felt more like contemporary commerce than dining elegance.Special Features:
- Great For Entertainment SiteluvNYCDined on 11/20/2013The food and service were excellent, but we got there for the incredibly good entertainment! There is no place like the Carlyle for the quality of service, good food, ambience, quiet, and the fabulous entertainers like Barbara Cook and John Pizzarelli. We saw the Modern Jazz Quartet there many years ago. We watch for who is playing there and head for NYC for an incomparable evening of food and music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We found the bar to be exceptionallLindajsweetpeaVIPDined on 11/15/2013We found the bar to be exceptionally noisy and very crowded, as well as EXPENSIVE! 2 cocktails - $58. Cafe was also very crowded, but entertainment was exceptional. Service was fair. They seated us (2) and we waited about 20 minutes before they came to take our drink order. The 3 more tables were seated and the servers took care of them first.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We came for the show and weremarilDined on 11/6/2013We came for the show and were not disappointed. But the food was just fair, the service, just okay, and the wine prices outrageous. The mural was the highlight of this intimate space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Judy Collins - Cafe CarlyleRTBJrDined on 10/22/2013Truly a treat in entertainment, ambiance, and food.Special Features:
- the show was canceled --christineDined on 9/24/2013when I got there I was surprised to find out the show was canceled. they said they had contacted everyone, but the last email I got was the day before, 9/23, confirming my reservation. We went elsewhere to eat since we were there for the show, not the food. I had eaten there before.
- A PleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2013The staff are wonderful and take care of you like old friends even on your first visit. Entertainment and intimacy were beyond compare. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You eat there for the showPianogirl7VIPDined on 9/18/2013Beware of the $90 per person charge for entertainment on top of the food bill . Sitting behind the performer is not advised!