The Café at Taj Boston
15 Arlington Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Café at Taj Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.tajhotels.com/boston
- Phone: 6175985255x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday, 6:30am – 11:00am
Lunch: Monday – Friday, 11:30am – 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday, 5:30pm – 10:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday, 7am – 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Certified Master Chef Daniel Dumont
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Café at Taj Boston
A Boston landmark for over 55 years, its wall of windows overlooks the bustle of Newbury Street. The fresh New England flavors are accented by a subtle blending of Italian and French influences. Indian Specialties featured daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Café at Taj Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (10)romantic (6)fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (5)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Lovely lunch spotBoomaaDined on 10/3/2014Decor is very attractive, with a large bay looking onto Newbury St. and comfortable seats. Service is attentive without being overwhelming. My companion selected a bottle of champagne, so I didn't get a look at the wine list. Rolls served before our food were delicious - warm and yeasty, with sweet butter. Prices are high here, as you might expect from a luxury hotel, and although we enjoyed our food, we could have had better for less in any number of restaurants. The value for us was in being to linger and visit in a lovely and comfortable atmosphere. The only problem we encountered was a group of noisy diners, who thankfully finished their brunch soon after our arrival. I'd happily return as the overall experience was delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014I wish they had been participating in the second week of Dine Out Boston. The DOB website was misleading. But The Taj personnel were kind and the experience was great.Special Features:
- Very goodKathDined on 8/28/2014but we thought it was Restaurant Week which we found to our surprise it wasn't. Though we spent more than we planned, it was well worth it.Special Features:
- a mistakejudithnortonVIPDined on 8/23/2014Open Table included Café at Taj on their Dining Boston (Rest Wk) schedule, offering dinner both weeks and also on Sat. Upon our arrival we were told that Sat night was not part of that special menu. On your website, each restaurant has careful info re: whether lunch, dinner or both is offered, along with a personalized daily schedule of participation. It was totally wrong. Now, this is partly the restaurant's fault, because they didn't bother to check the official website, but also partly Open Table's fault. Slightly embarrassing to arrive for the special prices and see the Taj's real prices. We had an excellent dinner, without appetizer or dessert for about the same price as 3 courses might have been.Special Features:
- Food & AmbiencepaipDined on 8/21/2014The food was excellent. Definitely the food speaks a lot about the Chef. The ambience is really good for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob from LexingtonRWA76Dined on 7/8/2014Smoked salmon eggs benedict all world . .as was Pam's omeletSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AprilVIPDined on 7/4/2014We were staying at the Taj hotel and since it was pouring rain, we decided to eat at The Cafe. Despite the fact that it is a hotel restaurant, it was better than I expected. The swordfish was delicious and my husband's steak was also good. We had breakfast here the next morning, and again we were pleased overall with the food and service. If you can get a table near the window, and the sun is shining, it is an even nicer experience. What really stands out is the service. Everyone from the maître d' to the waitress and other junior waiters were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like "not so great"bigjamiectVIPDined on 7/4/2014then you will enjoy Taj. It's simply a hotel restaurant. no different than any other, except for spotty service and bland food. Careful ordering cocktails as the server has to leave the restaurant, go across the Hotel's lobby and order it, then wait and return with it while all the other customers wonder where there food and drinks are.
- Emergency testingLrubinDined on 7/1/2014The Taj is one of the only spots on Newbury Street to have a delicious lunch in a quiet, lovely setting. This time when I took my friend out for her birthday, a special birthday, and the hotel decided that lunch time was an acceptable time to test their emergency evacuation practices, the entire restaurant service came to a screeching halt. Our salads, yes I said SALADS, took 25+ minutes. Loud alarms and announcements played over and over again while staff in the hotel left the building. A complementary dessert, which we didn't like, and champagne were offered. The manager came to our table and never once even apologized for the disruption. The management needs to rethink the timing of practicing their emergency preparedness drills.Special Features:
- The following 209 reviews are from the The Café at Taj Boston reviews archive.
- Hotel restaurantLibra13VIPDined on 6/9/2014Just because the Cafe is in a hotel isn't a reason not to go - it was one of the best meals we had while in Boston. Give it a try!!Special Features:
- Best Indian FoodFoodieVIPDined on 5/31/2014This was by far the best Indian food I have had in Boston. The Kottayam Crab curry and Lamb dish were delicious and the portions were a good size. The service was also very good and the waitstaff was very accommodating. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Disappointed - againfrankcDined on 4/20/2014Went here fore Easter - dinner at 7:30 p.m. Greeting us and showing us to our table was haphazardly handled. Pre-fix menu. Oh well, it was Easter. Food was mediocre. The waiter seemed to rush us and just "yes yes" our questions away. My son is allergic to all tree nuts. The waiter didn't seem to know the menu. He said the sorbet was OK, but then brought it in an almond encrusted cookie. The café leaves a lot to be desired as the only dinner option in the hotel. If you are going to spend $100 per person on dinner, a glass of wine and maybe a coffee, they could serve it in a nicer room. The ambiance of the café is more fitting for a lunch. I have been here on other occasions and have felt the same way.
- The Taj is pricey, but very goodTonyCDined on 4/18/2014The Taj cafe is a very elegant room with The Taj Hotel, Boston. Stop into the bar beforehand for a pre-dinner cocktail. The service is excellent and the room is timeless. The food at the Taj is excellent, inparticular, the Indian section of the menu which has some really delicate, yet full dishes. It is quiet and refined so if you are looking for a special hotel for a romantic evening or similar, I recommend it. Try for a table at the window as the Taj is brilliantly placed at Boston Common.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly what we were looking forCdt518Dined on 4/12/2014Brought my girlfried here for a nice evening dinner after seeing the sights and sounds of Boston. The service was great amd the food was just as fantastic. I couldnt have asked for anything better. Next to the public garden, the ambiance was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice overallkeithmVIPDined on 4/6/2014The food here is always very good. Not quite up to the top gourmet restaurants of Boston, but still better than most. I had the Clam chowder to start. Extremely good with excellent flavor. One of the best chowders of the last few years. Not too thick, which seems to be the norm these days. Richard had the Minestrone, which was also excellent. Next up I had the Maple Glazed Salmon. Cooked just right. Richard had the Kotteyam Crab Curry, which is one of the best he's had. We were too full for dessert. Now here is the only downside. Due to a Sox game, many sloppy people came in & trashed the restroom. The toilet stalls were unusable. Not a pretty sight. It still hadn't been attended to after 2 mentions by me in a hour & a half time frame.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to snuffwildasparagus24VIPDined on 4/5/2014We came here for an early, pre-theatre dinner, allowing plenty of time. The service was dreadful. We sat for just over 15 minutes before one of the many waiters who were bustling around busily finally came over to provide water. It took longer to order drinks. By then we were out of time to linger in conversation and had to order food immediately. The food was excellent, as it always is. The service in no way matched up.Special Features:
- We totally enjoyed our dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/22/2014We totally enjoyed our dinner and the restaurant. The restaurant has an aura of elegance and an international ambiance. We loved it. The food was very good and the service was excellent. Will definitely go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious IndianmomoDined on 3/14/2014Just back from 3 weeks of travel in south India, I appreciated the well-prepared entrees and breads from Indian cuisine in this elegant Boston setting.Special Features:
- Catching up..and then someMamasaysDined on 3/7/2014I hadn't seen my friend in weeks and wanted a cozy, elegant spot to catch up and enjoy our friendship. The wait staff are perfect,Present, respectful of distance while being engaging. Our lobster roll lunch was delicious! We must have sat for two hours enjoying catching up while being treated like princesses ! :) Fabulous food and dining experience. Thank you Taj!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jewel in the CrownPrincecharmingDined on 2/28/2014We have lived in the neighborhood for many years but only recently "discovered" this wonderful spot. After a cocktail in the bar by the fireplace, we proceeded to a window table in the cafe. The room is strikingly beautiful. Our waiter was delightful and helpful. We shared an unusually delicious Caeser salad (with correct and freshly made dressing) and then, after a perfectly relaxing interval over wine, savored wonderful Indian dishes--one lamb and one crabmeat. The flavors were exotic and extraordinary. Just right. No room for dessert, but we have enjoyed creme brulee and opera cake here previously. The cafe at the Taj is a most elegant, civilized, and delicious spot in the Back Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/28/2014It may not be the Ritz Cafe anymore, but the food, service and style are the same or better. This is not just really good food but an "experience" -- traditional and conservative -- but nonetheless an experience.Special Features:
- Sorrowful serviceICouldEatVIPDined on 2/16/2014For nearly a decade, our custom has been to take our daughter for Indian food on her birthday. We have stepped up the quality chain each year so we decided to go very high end this time. The outcome was poor. It took over 20 minutes to place our order but much longer for the food to arrive, so much so that we were given complimentary misted greens with jumbo shrimp. The entrees (dahl, murgh tikka masala, lamb rogan josh) were indeed fantastic but the garlic naan bread we ordered never arrived. My son and I felt his beef tenderloin had an offensive taste and he ate less than a third of it. We were so disappointed that we did not stick around for dessert (remember, this was my daughter's birthday celebration). Off night perhaps?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014Best Valentine's Day dinner ever! Superb food, outstanding warm and personalized service, elegant atmosphere. This place is a treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Cafe has a great ambienceskmjdsiDined on 2/14/2014The Cafe has a great ambience - casual but still with an elegant feel. The Staff was attentive and helpful and the food ( from the Valentine's Day prix fixe menu) was very good. The cocktails were delcicious. Overall, we had a very enjoyable evening and the long-stemmed red rose as a parting gift was a nice gesture. Highly recommed for a special evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines day dinnerFinediningfor4Dined on 2/14/2014This was the perfect experience for me and my date. Upon arrival at 5:30pm to the Cafe, the matri'd walked us to the best seat I'm the house. We sat right in the middle bay window overlooking the sidewalk of Newbury street. It was very nice and quiet. We had tickets to the boston baroque at 8:00, so we thought we would be in and out quickly. Not at all! Our waiter suggested a bottle of wine, which turned our not to get the most expensive on the list. And, it was probably the best bottle of Pino we ever had. We each ordered different items on the prix fixe menu to try. The food was absolutely superb!! By the time we left at 7:30, the matri'd gave my date a red rose and got to the show on time. The staff, waiter and valet was excellent!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was average.I had theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/7/2014food was average.I had the Indian food.Taj has amazing restaurents all over the world.This is subpar.Special Features:
- New MenuMimiVIPDined on 1/25/2014We recently celebrated my husband's birthday at the Taj cafe which we've visited a number of times before. It is one of the prettiest dining rooms in Boston overlooking Newburyport St, elegant and quiet. The new menu or chef is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful respiteEnigmanderVIPDined on 1/20/2014This gorgeous cafe with windows fronting Newbury Street allow an intimate setting for a lovely meal with a never ending scene outside. Perfect service! Our 11:30 meal allowed for breakfast or lunch options.Special Features:
- A very memorable meal experiencedavidfrombostonVIPDined on 1/17/2014The experience starts with the maitre 'd. He was amazing - when we arrived and said that we had reservations, since we were the only party of 3 with reservations he welcomed us by name and took us right to our seats. At dessert time, he also made sure that there was a delicious birthday dessert treat for my wife, making the dinner truly special. We started with the carpaccio, seafood ceviche, and caesar salad. All were really well prepared, but the carpaccio was particularly good - the best I've ever had, actually. For the main courses, we had the sea bass, halibut and okra/bhindi and all were very well prepared and plated. Desserts were exceptional. We had the 3 creme brulees, a pudding and a mousse; I recommend them all.Special Features:
- We loved our meal... terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/27/2013We loved our meal... terrific food, and we had a perfect table!Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining Experience!landernjDined on 12/27/2013This was our second time dining at The Cafe at Taj Boston. If you want good old fashioned service, classic food in a wonderful atomosphere then this is the place for you! We started with a drink at the bar (very nice cocktails, a great wine list and a nice fire place) and then into the beautiful dining room. There are many classic choices on the menu, however, I recommend the Indian food. The lamb rogan josh is outstanding. We also tried the dal which was wonderful. Try the garlic naan to complete the meal. We didn't leave room for dessert but we were very satisfied and can't wait to go back! The bar has a nice view of The Commons and if you like people watching the dining room overlooks Newbury Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice low key brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/14/2013We went to the Taj the day before my sister's wedding to have a 'ladies lunch.' The food was absolutely delicious, and it's a beautiful room with a great elegant vibe. The service was a bit lacking - no one was rude, but it was challenging to get the waiter's attention (this is partly due to the architecture of the space, too).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyable.GigiDined on 12/9/2013This nice place has been around for many Years. It can be on the expensive side but you always know your food will be good, and tastefully prepared. The service is impeccable. The ambience is one of comfort and charm. I would recommend this to anyone exceptexcept someone I know to be economy-minded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic elegant eveningDeborahDined on 11/30/2013We have been to the Taj multiple times. It is always a wonderful experience. There is a sense of history within the restaurant space. Pictures of visiting celebrities from the early 50's hang on the wall. The food is wonderful. The service is elegant. We recently brought our pre-teens. The staff was excited to have them there and very kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the Cafe at the Taj.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/30/2013I love the Cafe at the Taj. I have been coming here for a long time and find that everything is perfect. The waitress who served us was very efficient and pleasant. A wonderful restaurant with excellent food and wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DelightCourtneyTVIPDined on 11/29/2013The Cafe at Taj Boston is a gem that all locals and visitors alike should experience. The atmosphere is a beautifully decorated respite and the view onto Newbury Street is great for people watching. The menu has been updated to include made to order Indian specialties while still offering sophisticated New England classics. The service is attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingnosixcpDined on 11/1/2013I hadn't been to this restaurant for years -- it used to be the Ritz Cafe. The Taj chain is very good but this place was marginal, to say the least. Overbearing waitstaff, too intrusive, not respectful, hanging over us, etc. We were 4, we had expensive food and a very good wine, and there wewre vacant tables, but didn't seem to matter at all. I won't go there again
- One of the Best in BostonBostonianDined on 10/26/2013I have rave reviews of the Taj. I love the food, the service and the ambience each time I go. It is my favorite restaurant in Boston.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner and exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2013Wonderful dinner and exceptional service - great menu!Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantmazeymcDined on 10/24/2013One of my favorite restaurants in Boston. The food and service is outstanding. You are not rush during the meal. I cannot wait to go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.