the C restaurant + bar
750 Cannery Row
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
the C restaurant + bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thecrestaurant-monterey.com/
- Phone: 8313754800
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Served Monday through Friday - 6:30 A.M.– 11:30 A.M. Served Saturday & Sunday - 6:30 A.M.– 12:00 P.M. Lunch Served Monday through Friday - 11:30 A.M.– 3:00 P.M. Brunch Served Saturday & Sunday - 12:00 P.M.– 3:00 P.M. Dinner Served Daily - 5:30 P.M.– 10:00 P.M.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jerry Regester
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: For larger parties we have a private dining room, The Library. The Library can cater to a sit down dinner for up to 30 guests and for a standing reception for up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Sonny Petersson 8313754800
- Entertainment: Every Friday and Saturday we have a live music in the restaurant, from 5:30pm until 9pm. This month we have Terrence Ferrell! Terrence is a world class concert guitarist. He specializes in the Latin/Spanish style and is proficient in classical and jazz as well.
- Special Events: For private event inquiries please contact Franco Vasquez: firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from the C restaurant + bar
Executive Chef Jerry Regester focuses on using local organic ingredients to create seasonal fare with rustic elegance and refined flavors. The cuisine at the C is regional with emphasis in seafood and blending in a variety of local seasonal products. "Great cuisine starts with great ingredients", Regester says. the C restaurant + bar is proud to comply with Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch program and support local farms, organically-grown ingredients and sustainability. Happy Hour - Sunday through Thursday between 4pm and 7pmContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
the C restaurant + bar - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
the C restaurant + bar reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (15)romantic (9)fit for foodies (6)special occasion (6)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (4)good for groups (4)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)neighborhood gem (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great annual tripKandDVIPDined on 9/2/2014We've been coming here for four years now, and have never been disappointed. We've had the same table and server, Diane, the last two years, and truly excellent food and wine each time. Their new chef fills the old shoes well: the abalone was superb, as was the lightly smoked duck. C+ is the only true four star dining we know of on Cannery Row.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Chilean seabass was toughJoeyDined on 8/31/2014So over cooked I sent it back. The second came raw. It's an oily fish, and easy to prepare, so I was very disappointed.Special Features:
- DEFINITELY NOT worth it... EVER!peterhukoDined on 8/30/2014I treated my client with dinner for his birthday and had it noted on the reservation. Our waiter Salvador was a nice guy but possessed truly bad English skills. I really don't mean to pick on this but if a restaurant charges $150 for a dinner for 2, then I would expect the waiter to speak English properly. My client only understood every 3rd word that he was saying. The cocktail I ordered was MODIFIED based on my waiter's decision and not by me. It did not taste as good, all this because HE THOUGHT I do not like much kiwi flavor in my cocktail (though I never said such thing). My duck was undercooked for a medium and chewy. Menu was WAY OVERPRICED and nobody even said Happy Birthday to my client even though it was noted.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/4/2014Wonderful service. We really appreciated how Bill (Bartender) looked after us. Excellent food. The Happy Hour is not to be missed!Special Features:
- DiscerningdinerDined on 7/29/2014Server seemed very bored by serving his customers. Kitchen took quite a long time despite the small number of patrons. Dishes were very tasty.Special Features:
- First Anniversary Success!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014My husband and I came here for our very first wedding anniversary dinner...and it did not disappoint! Service was impeccable, food was fresh, fun and prepared perfectly, the view is perfect! We were greeted with a smile from the hostess and seated on time. Our server was warm, friendly and very attentive. She even surprised us with a complimentary dessert, the ice cream sundae. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful meal. We will be back!Special Features:
- Breathtaking views! Exellent food!YCG1VIPDined on 7/10/2014Great place to sit by the ocean and enjoy great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickVIPDined on 6/27/2014We had a lovely lunch on the patio with a view of Monteray Bay. Food was very nice - - service was very good, as well. Virtually all of the tables outside and inside have Bay views.Special Features:
- Great fodd, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014The food was delicious and the service was excellent, all while maintaining an easy atmosphere was a gorgeous view. A bit pricey, but compared to some of the dives nearby, this was an easy winner (especially since we stayed at The Clement hotel).Special Features:
- Disappointing executionLocaldinerDined on 5/25/2014Hotel has only one restaurant, so it is a mixture of "coffee shop" environment serving excellent local sourced fresh food, at top end prices! If you want style and elegance - like Peppoli at Spanish Bay - this is the wrong place ( furthermore valet parking is free at Spanish Bay). Because it is the only restaurant early bookings tend to be overrun by overwrought children.Special Features:
- The following 343 reviews are from the the C restaurant + bar reviews archive.
- I think there must be betterMnFatsDined on 5/17/2014I don't know if it was acoustics but at both dinner and again at breakfast the wait staff got our order wrong. Food was very good , not exceptional. Service speed and hovering not bad but not so great. Very mediocre experience
- Great breakfastluv2dineVIPDined on 5/17/2014What can you say about a place with great food, great view of the Monterey, and great service! Thoroughly enjoyable!Special Features:
- Lovely place to beSavorlifeDined on 5/11/2014Wonderful food, decor, scenery and ambiance. Very special place.Special Features:
- My Father's last lunch.PaulDined on 5/3/2014My 94 1/2 year old Father took his girl friend and me and my gal to the C for a Saturday lunch, little did we know it would be his last. He had the Cioppino with toasted Italian bread (to soak up the great broth) it was excellent. I had fried calamari and tuna apps both tasty, but the tuna was to small a portion for the price. His friend enjoyed the crab salad. This was the third time here for lunch and didn't disappoint.Special Features:
- Great food let down by poor serviceCholmondeleyVIPDined on 4/12/2014Amazing location, great views of the ocean with a spacious outdoor patio for lunch and summer evenings. There's a couple of lovely managers who were very attentive, but our waitress let the whole place down by her lack of attention. She also seemed to take great pleasure in telling us that desserts were not made in the restaurant, so she couldn't tell us if there was cream on the cheesecake. This admission shocked me but my fellow diners assured me it was quite normal for restaurants not to have their own in-house pastry chef. The lobster Bolognese was wonderful, as was the beet salad, roast chicken and crab cakes. The cheesecake was bland and a horrible texture, barely camouflaged by the blueberry sauce, do talk to your supplier!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a quiet escapepscQDined on 3/23/2014I frequent The C most often for a quiet drink after work or for their awesome happy hour small plates. But they also have great breakfasts here. The food is always pleasantly modern without going overboard and the service is always great. However, when there are large groups at the hotel sometimes the bar area can be a bit hectic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Good Atmosphere and FoodMarcoJDined on 3/1/2014My wife, 10 year old daughter and I enjoyed the food. The only exception was the 'clam chowder' which was made with heavy cream and not very good. The waitress was understanding and removed the item from the check.Special Features:
- I want to go back!SoGoodx10000Dined on 2/18/2014It was awesome. The food was wonderful, yummy, and it left you wanting more! Get the scallops!!!!Special Features:
- Cool elegant GemDSergiVIPDined on 2/15/2014This is not your average hotel restaurant. The ambience is cool, laid-back yet it is elegant and trendy at the same time. The low-level jazz playing in the background is not overpowering. The Saturday night we dined there a guitarist was softly playing wonderful old jazz and rock favorites in the corner and the music simply added to the experience. The food was a step below what I remember from our last visit. The chmowder was not as rich nor creamy as I would have liked and the scallops won't tender did not have the crust that I had expected and experienced from my last visit. In short this is a wonderful restaurant and they produce great food using regional product. However the production simply was a a tad off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food with magnificant viewMagnificentVIPDined on 1/11/2014Great for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack. Wonderful view of the bay. Superb food and a magnificent set of servers. Well worth the trip anytime.Special Features:
- Second Time for the four of us.PaulDined on 1/4/2014We had the Calamari again and it wasn't to the level I would expect for a $14 app. Chewy, under seasoned and greasy. They should take it off the menu if they can't do better. The calamari was chewy in the cioppino and the broth was bland. The cioppino came with one piece of garlic toast and we had to ask for more, I would think the chef would want you to have enough toast to sop up the broth. We like the place and the service but may not go back because of the food.Special Features:
- Monterey GemCathethestewDined on 12/31/2013New Year's Eve Prix Fixe Dinner was wonderful. Starting with Calamari Ceviche, yummmm. I loved the International Sparkling Wine flight. Fish was nice as well as the salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a fine dining establishmentFineDinerVIPDined on 12/28/2013Don't confuse this place with a fine dining restaurant. We chose it because, being part of an Intercontinental Hotel, it is a bit classier than some of the other seafood restaurants that line Cannery Row. And indeed, the ambience was the best part (no table clothes though). The service started very rocky - the appetizers were brought almost immediately after ordering (that is not a plus at a classy restaurant), and then my cocktail arrived 20 minutes later. Of the three appetizers we ordered, only one was acceptable - the calamari. The shrimp tasted like they had been frozen and thawed several times. The main courses were also without distinction. The "C" in this restaurant's name is apt!
- Birthday surprisePaulDined on 11/16/2013Took my 94 year old Father to celebrate his B-day. Happened to mention it while we were being seated and the waiter picked up on that fact. After a great service the waiter and hostess surprised him with a wonderful ice cream dessert with a candle that couldn't be blown out. Made a great meal memorable. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small portions served. ForDrJimmyVIPDined on 11/9/2013Small portions served. For the price of dinner the dinners should be a little more plentiful. They serve 1/2 liters of wine right out the barrel...very fresh tasting wines.
- Great Restaurant on the BayMaryMaeDined on 10/23/2013The food was fabulous! Highly recommend for breakfast, lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had our bridal party dinnerNewlywedsDined on 10/4/2013We had our bridal party dinner there and it was delicious! Service was fine and everything was perfectly timed. Well go back for dinner but not breakfast. Over priced for average breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice selection of seafoodbfukumotoDined on 9/21/2013Normally, I am not a fan of hotel restaurants, but this one turned out to be quite nice. We chose it because it was just a block from the Monterey Bay Aquarium and it had an early seating so that we could finish dinner in time for a walk to Fisherman's Wharf. The seafood selection was very nice. I had the swordfish which was perfect size on a bed of cruncy string beans. Great view of the Monterey Bay and there was an acoustic guitar player which made the ambience very relaxing. Service was attentive and very courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just for hotel guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/19/2013Brought my girlfriend here for our one year anniversary. From start to finish, top-notch experience. There are seats near the window but we sat at a booth away from it; doesn't matter because every seat has an ocean view. The food was rich in flavor and portions were just right. Ambiance was great: quiet, great view, comfortable decor, light fixtures look like jellyfish. Service was outstanding! Thank you Diane!Special Features:
- Second visitMalbecVIPDined on 9/18/2013Last summer we lunched at C after going to the Aquarium and loved it so this time it was fun to be able to have dinner. My bucatini with smoked sardines was really unusual and delicious. The menu is varied and unusual, we loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The wife and I dined herewinedoctorVIPDined on 9/17/2013The wife and I dined here while on the Peninsula for a week of R&R in September. I had been to the "C" a few months before with a winery business trip, really liked it and wanted to come back. The food is fresh as you'd expect being on the Monterey Bay and close to Salinas Valley. The culinary staff seems solid and adventurous, an unusual combination. The serving staff is professional and friendly at the same time. The seafood choices are quite good. Its on our "go back again" list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointment aboundsDisappointedVIPDined on 9/13/2013bad wine list. unattractive décor (looks like Midwest hotel). arrogant wine list.
- Perfect place for a romantic dinneOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/12/2013Ocean view, romantic scene, live spanish guitar, wonderful fish ... excellent pairing ... enough saying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would only ask for moreEllenDined on 8/31/2013I would only ask for more vegetarian options. We didn't know our friends had stopped eating meat and fish until we got there - oops - and there were only 2 salads we could order that did not contain any fish. Other than that, it's always wonderful when we go to the C!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and view on Monterey BayDrMelVIPDined on 8/23/2013This is our favorite place to eat in Monterey- great seafood- especially the scallops and salmon. Leave room for the gelato dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2013Great cocktails but mediocre (hotel quality) food. Good service.
- Need some good chef fastant08VIPDined on 8/12/2013Went at C restaurant and overall, the food was badly done, no seasoning, cheap quality steak and crab and the service was zero, ate bad food and paid max money, not fair for the customers and tourists.please hire a good chef and some cooks please, love the ambience, the restaurant was slow too, may be I know why?
- Soothing and deliciousJaryDined on 8/11/2013We loved the tranquil view and live Spanish guitar music during dinner. The signature scallop dish was excellent as was the chocolate hazelnut dessert. We especially appreciated our server Salvador's assistance in making sure our daughter's allergies were accommodated. We look forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gorgeous view and delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/29/2013This is a simply beautiful restaurant with a knockout view of Monterey Bay. The food was extraordinary with efficient and unobtrusive service. I'd go back in a minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing and RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2013We enjoyed our dinner at the C-restaurant. Our waiter, Jose, was very nice and attentive. He made wonderful recommendations that were not based on raising our bill. The view is beautiful as you look out onto Monterey Bay. We had a wonderful time and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.