The Brook Tavern
139 Union Ave.
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Brook Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thebrooktavern.com/
- Phone: (518) 871-1473
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday through Saturday, 4 to 10 p.m
Sunday 4 to 9 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Patrick Longton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Brook Tavern
The owners of one of the region's most popular restaurants, The Wishing Well, serves innovative American fare in a historic Saratoga Springs neighborhood. The Brook Tavern features fresh oysters, innovative salads, locally sourced ground beef and an array of artisan spirits and award winning wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Brook Tavern - Best Restaurants in Saratoga Springs ›
The Brook Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (50)vibrant bar scene (30)fit for foodies (20)good for groups (19)special occasion (15)great for outdoor dining (14)hot spot (11)notable wine list (11)romantic (11)late-night find (8)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- A fine dinner ruined by serviceRestaurantMadDined on 11/8/2014I was so excited to have our family go to Brook Tavern for an early birthday dinner for me. Things started out fine, and continued to be good up to the delivery of our dinner. The waiter was attentive to that point, and a woman - manager or owner maybe - checked in on us twice. We loved our food, plates sat on our tables for too long. We were on the Union Ave side, in a corner, so it was hard to get anyone's attention. The waiter returned at last and quickly ran through desserts. Too quickly, he seemed rushed. We got coffee from another server and the waiter did not return for over 20 minutes in regard to desert. It all kind of went downhill from there, and while never rude, the waiter seemed a bit clueless regarding the meltdown.
- Charming restaurantLuvtheseaDined on 11/8/2014We return each year for a conference in town. The Brook Tavern has remained consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014Brook Tavern is becoming my favorite restaurant in Saratoga. The food is excellent the Mangement and staff are open and friendly. Its very comfortable and has the feel of a true neighborhood restaurant. After dinner we headed to the bar where we found great conversation and an Excellent bartender. They make you feel like you want to sit and hangout all night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always consistOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014the neighbor place that does it right. Always great service, food and neighborhood specials. Our go to place.Special Features:
- Casual Dining prices, Gourmet FoodBillyCDined on 10/30/2014Perfect spot to avoid the local downtown Saratoga Springs traffic. Food is incredible each and every time. Crab cakes are always a favorite, this time we tried the cheese platter which was wonderful.Special Features:
- 2nd visitoatsandhayDined on 10/11/2014This was our 2nd visit. The first time we sat outside (as it was racing season) and the restaurant was very busy and noisy. 2nd time was off season and we sat inside on a sat night. It was less noisy, but we still had to speak loudly to each other. Food was good but better the first time. Wait staff was fine and owner is always pleasant. I would still recommend it for a nice evening, but try to sit in a less busy area of the restaurant. For this type of restaurant and price I would suggest the owners do some soundproofing, either on the walls or ceiling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfuleneffDined on 10/11/2014This is a gem I was introduced too 1 year ago and have since brought all of my out of state visitors here for a wonderful meal. I have always been impressed and satisfied.Special Features:
- First timeNewtoBrookDined on 10/9/2014We reserved a table for 5; none of us had been there, but my daughter had been and recommended it. Everything was excellent. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Brook Tavern, Saratoga SpringsKleeVIPDined on 10/8/2014A real" find" of a place, near Saratoga Springs Race Track. Brook Tavern has a contemporary, yet historic feel to it. The Bar area area is good for drinks after work or get-together's with friends. My Open Table reservation was handled effortlessly. I arrived at their opening time of 4pm for an early dinner and was seated in a comfortable brightly-lit window table. The menu offers are nicely varied. I chose the Beet Salad and requested it be topped with grilled salmon. No problem. It was done "to a turn." Would return to this establishment. They are related to a nearby Bed and Breakfast called The Springwater B&B. I have stayed at the Inn in the past and it too is lovely.Special Features:
- Always worth the tripFwilliDined on 9/27/2014This is the 3rd time we have eaten here this summer and we have never been disappointed. Nice variety from small plates to entree specials. Can get a little load but usually not an issue. Can't miss on the crap cakes. Had a great swordfish special this visit. Put it on you list of places to eat in Saratoga.Special Features:
- Great place to celebrateWimpyDined on 9/20/2014We went just for happy hour and stayed for dinner. Loved the wine on tap with deep fried pickles - it was well worth a try. The wait staff was so friendly. Two of us were celebrating birthdays so they served our dessert with candles and then surprised the birthday girls with a box of truffles! Very lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good & Not So GoodPJSonnyDined on 8/31/2014Interesting Menu (perfect) Great staff- efficient & friendly. Quite loud inside, next time, if there is a next time, will sit on the porch. My food was excellent (steak & blue cheese tacos, brussell sprouts). Unfortunately for my companion, (Oysters Rockefeller, Cajun devilled eggs, Itallian meatballs) who uses more salt than I do & likes it, the oysters were extremely salty as if maybe a shaker spilled onto them- that set the tone for the rest of his meal. His eggs were overly salted as well. The meatballs were perfect. We did not complain to anyone, just didn't finish. We had a reservation a month in advance & were disappointed with the outcome.Special Features:
- A bar with really fine food.oatsandhayDined on 8/29/2014Everything we had was excellent and well prepared. My husband said that the crab cakes were the best he had ever had and he has had them everywhere. During track season beware the overflow from the nearby track, so reservations are in order in summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for After-Track Diningblunc83Dined on 8/25/2014Great location and good food! Fun menu with lots of choices for diners. It's nice that they label their GF entrees. Fun bar scene with great music (Bobby Dick) when we were there. Just wish they were open for lunch or brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expected!RobbyleeVIPDined on 8/24/2014Great service. Waitress was excellent; food was good. Fried pickles were recommended & delivered. Who would've thought? Also had the swordfish special; that was very tasty. The spaghetti & meatball special my husband ordered was weak. Sauce was not well seasoned. However overall, it was a very pleasant evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotJIO3Dined on 8/22/2014Good food at reasonable prices for this time of year in Saratoga. We were able to get a reservation for 5 about one week in advance. If you're looking for salads, sandwiches, burgers, etc., along with a drink, it is great. They also have a daily special which was good the night we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worked out wellOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We went for an early dinner before SPAC and it worked out fine. It was Travers week so everyplace was very busy. Everyone's food was quite good, and the server was very attentiveSpecial Features:
- Great atmosphere, Superb FoodMythreesonsDined on 8/21/2014The Brook Tavern is a gem. It provides such a comfortable setting...from the lighting, to the artwork, to the detailed moulding, to the welcoming bar. The staff members are outstanding and truly make you feel at home. The food...superb! The menu features both old favorites and new dishes. There is something for everyone here at very reasonable prices. Whatever the occasion, The Brook Tavern is the spot. Charming, charming place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014When we visit Saratoga we always include a stop to Brook Tavern. The staff are friendly and helpful. The wait staff attentive and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/16/2014Terrific service and food at a great spot just steps from Saratoga RacecourseSpecial Features:
- 2girlsand2guysDined on 8/16/2014We had a very nice time. Three out of four dinners were fine. The fourth dinner salmon special was a little too cooked (dried). Overall it was a pleasant experience.
- Delicious!!!ChrissieVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great dinner options!! Everything was delish!! Great GF optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, better out of track seasonWallyDined on 8/15/2014Dinner was good. The track crowd makes it a little loud and the service a little more hurried. The workers are great people. The food is good. I'm a local, so I'll stick to offseason dining there.Special Features:
- . Great Selections!SaratogaSummerDined on 8/15/2014Skillet chocolate desert was a special find. Martini is super!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Experience...SaratogaEating24Dined on 8/14/2014Our waitress was a sweet girl, with a calming way about her, providing great service. Portion size was shocking, meaning not impressive, a long with presentation. A little balsamic drizzle can make a much better impact on the customer. Things to think about and reconsider.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for after the racesDoubleEspressoDined on 8/10/2014Our party of eight has dined here each of the last two years. We like the convenient location, the variety on the menu, the reasonable pricing and the friendliness of the servers. Four very different couples all agree we do not need to seek out anywhere else in Saratoga Springs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place to get last minuteAjh714VIPDined on 8/9/2014We were able to get a reservation the day before a day at the tracks. Food was good, service was better. Cookie skillet for dessert was amazing.Special Features:
- Saratoga 2014BNewDined on 8/8/2014We will be dining here the first Friday of August, for as long as we & our group are able to!! ( and the restaurant will put up with us!!). Great food, menu, service and ambiance. We are fans forever, Bruce & Mara Newell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brook Tavern is a nice spot.luv2eatfoodDined on 8/4/2014The Brook Tavern is a favorite spot for locals during the off season. Dined on Fasig Tipton sales night. Probably not a typical crowd. The hostess has a pleasant personality, the server was less seasoned in service, we waited 35-40 minutes for our food, ate and felt like the server was anxious to turn our table. The tuna tacos and salmon meal was average and below the standard we usually enjoy. Over cooked salmon, brussel sprout appetizer was dry and overcooked.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Good Food for Good Price! Brought our daughter there after the track.....kid friendly options that were not overwhelming. All food was nice and fresh!Special Features:
- Disappointing Second VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Our visit was disappointing. The restaurant seemed under-staffed for the volume of business. We had to wait 45 minutes for the crab cake starter. My wife's order of half dozen oysters came quickly, but only with 5 oysters, all of which appeared shriveled and dried out as if they had been shucked a long time before serving. We decided to just pay the check and depart.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Other than the mix up with the restaurant thinking we didn't keep our reservation it was terrific. The food is always very good and there are usually some very nice specials. We made reservations for after THe Whitney and sat on the porch. Service was great. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than PrimeDk40204Dined on 8/1/2014Great location for an after track dinner. My steak was better than the one I had at Prime the night before. Great Value.Special Features:
- Just enough after day at the trackGuinness2Dined on 8/1/2014We spent the day in the backyard at the track and the tapas me or mini plates were just the right thing. The food was good. We would go againSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014Was disappointed since we had really enjoyed dining here last winter. Upon visiting Saratoga Springs this summer we were excited to come back to the Tavern. My tuna tartare was not only cool on the inside but overall cold and not very flavorful. What seemed to be leftover homefries were served with it??. Odd combo in my opinion. My husband's chicken parmigiana was less than anything special and again not served hot. The restaurant was not busy this evening so these mishaps could not have been a stressed kitchen. We won't be back again.
- The following 102 reviews are from the The Brook Tavern reviews archive.
- Unimpressivejp123Dined on 7/26/2014Menu items look and taste great, but meager portions and subpar service undercut this Saratoga eatery experience. Nice bar with great beer list. Small but appealing outside eating area.
- Great Overall Experiencescm81Dined on 7/25/2014First time here on a busy Friday night. Staff was very attentive, friendly, and prompt. The menu has a lot of options for all types of appetites, including small plates, daily dinner specials, and extensive offerings including fish, chicken, beef, pork, and vegetarian, to choose from. Wonderful beers on tap, and great bourbon selection. Our party had chicken, burgers, and tacos which were all tasty. This is a bustling place during track season, so if you're looking for a quiet dinner, would advise against coming here until the off season. If you enjoy an energetic ambience and are coming with a party of four or more, this is the place to be any evening after the track. Really great social scene, and beautiful bar.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014We had a very nice dinner after a day at the track. The service and food were very good. Nice atmosphere too !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotFwilliDined on 7/19/2014The Brook Tavern has become one of our Saratoga favorites. Nice range of choices from burgers to special entrees. We have never been disappointed. Service was great . Save room for that special chocolate Cookie desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super place, close to race trackNYcitydinerDined on 7/17/2014Cozy dining booths and an excellent menu featuring a nice selection of smaller dishes, like a small Steak Frites. Good bar, and a few outdoor tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.