2140 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brixtonsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 409-1114
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM -3:30 PM
Dinner: Daily: 5:30 PM - 10:30 AM
Late Menu: 3:30 PM -5:30 PM and 10:30 PM -12:00 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jon Hara
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Brixton
The Brixton. A Welcome Refuge. Craft Beer and Specialty Cocktails. Scrumptious eats. A kick-drum backbeat. Whet your whistle and satisfy your food craving at The Brixton. Located in the heart of Cow Hollow, The Brixton is vim for the palette and vigor for the pulse. Daily from 11AM – 2AM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Brixton - Best Restaurants in Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio ›
The Brixton reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (31)vibrant bar scene (29)great for brunch (25)hot spot (25)neighborhood gem (22)great for lunch (20)great for outdoor dining (16)fit for foodies (12)late-night find (12)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)notable wine list (3)romantic (2)Show More
- CRaabDined on 11/11/2014I was so glad I chose this for my business lunch and will be returning, whether for business or with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value and tasty food.Fogcity99VIPDined on 11/9/2014We were really impressed by the large portions and quality of the food. The bar was busy with a great crowd, so after dinner we decided to stay for drinks, which turned out to be a great idea. The house cocktails are hand made by really good bartenders who know what's up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK if you like sticky chairs.LianaVIPDined on 10/31/2014This was the first restaurant in my recent memory where not only was my chair sticky, but the two adjacent to it were also sticky. I had to go to other locations and test them to find one that was clean. My jeans stuck to the chair, that's how bad it was. When I told someone on staff, he cleaned just that chair but didn't seem to care that there were others.Special Features:
- ugh servicebluegrl185Dined on 10/15/2014I found this place on opentable and yelp, to my surprise this place was fun and loud. We got seated quickly and made it in time for happy hour, according to the maitre d' which was awesome. Once our server arrived she said happy hour was over and from then the service went BAD!. Whenever we wanted something it was very difficult to flag down our server and she barely checked on us. We were missing food and when we requested something simple like Parmesan cheese, our food was cold before it arrived and this was after asking 2 more people. The only time the server smiled was when she delivered the check. Overall the food was delicious but the service was HORRIBLE! Next time I think I might just sit at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine, not greatJinjaDined on 10/11/2014Drinks were pretty good, food was disappointingly simple. Service was good, decor was fantastic.Special Features:
- Really Great foodFogcity99VIPDined on 10/9/2014We came with a group of friends and we decided to eat "family style" so we got to sample a bunch of the Brixton's dinner menu. The food was excellent across the board. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Nice quiet evening!hbfam14VIPDined on 9/30/2014New waitress at the Brixton was nice and was supervised so service was good. Happy hour food good quality and kids pasta my daughters local favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, too noisy to enjoy.LadyParticularDined on 9/29/2014If you are about 25 you might love how noisy it is but for this 56 year old it was too much. Waiters could hardly hear us give our orders.Special Features:
- highly recommendedjacaDined on 9/22/2014I went to the Brixton about a year ago and was pleasantly surprised. My wife and I ordered a bunch of apps and left fat and happy. They patiently accommodated my fish allergy, too, which isn't the case with a lot of restaurants. My in-laws recently came to town and we took them to the Brixton. The food was delish, again, although there was nothing new to try. And my mother in law was beside herself about how nice and attentive the waiter was. We love the music and the art, and the bathrooms are clean.Special Features:
- villagerDined on 9/20/2014This was my second time there. Brought two friends that had never been. Food and service was good! Our waitress was attentive. The place was busy....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return TripBama65Dined on 9/1/2014We stopped by chance while walking by the Brixton on Labor Day afternoon. The outdoor seating was so vibrant and inviting. We got a seat right in the open doorway, which was perfect for people watching and an afternoon drink. We had the perfect waitor -- can't remember his name, but he was young and movie-star goodlooking. He didn't pressure us to order anything but drinks; however, after looking at the menu we ordered the eggs with crab (can't remember the name of the dish). They were delicious. Then we ordered sweet potato fries -- a treat. We were so impressed with the menu that we returned that night with two others, making a party of 5. We ordered several dishes to share - spinich, squash, two salads, vegan burger, apple pie! Delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly good foodrosieVIPDined on 8/27/2014We picked this place to be festive, but had never been before. All the things we ordered were tasty and a larger portion size than expected (especially the salads). Will definitely go back. Food & experience exceeded expectations for this type of trendy-bar-yet-restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent food, great drinksFogcity99VIPDined on 8/19/2014We just had a great meal at The Brixton. The blackened Mahi Mahi was spectacular and the roast chicken has to be one of the best we've had anywhere. The wine prices are really reasonable and the cocktails are spot on. Fun place to eat and drink.Special Features:
- Good ChoiceLASPDined on 8/16/2014On busy Union Street. Reasonable prices for area. Good food, good service. Loud and hopping!Special Features:
- Casual Lunch SpotMizzbeVIPDined on 8/7/2014There's a nice, friendly vibe that permeates this pub-like restaurant. Food is good, but foodies will not get a "wow" experience, at least not with the dishes a friend and I tried. The steak sandwich with potato salad was tasty, the shellfish with chorizo was dominated by saltiness. An appetizer of stuffed eggs were tasty and uncomplicated. The clam chowder was a cut above the usual, and definitely worth ordering. I'd return to this place if I found myself on Union St. or lived in the neighborhood, but I wouldn't make a special trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Awesome VibeKrisDined on 8/6/2014I was very sad to see Mas Sake close its doors as it was my go to place in San Francisco but found this gem that is run by the same owners. The half chicken was so delicious and the presentation was just amazing. It was a juicy chicken with an amazing jus. My date had the ahi salad and she ate all of it .... very rare to see girls eat all their food. Drinks were great too especially the cucumber cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bar atmosphereBradyDined on 8/6/2014This is my second time dining here, and both times I was impressed at the dining atmosphere. Having been here multiple times later at night for the bar scene, I was pleasantly surprised with my meal. Half priced bottle of wine Wednesdays doesn't hurt either.Special Features:
- The following 276 reviews are from the The Brixton reviews archive.
- elizabethsofarawayDined on 7/21/2014We ended up here on a monday evening celebrating a 23rd birthday with family. It was the perfect place.;just the right amount of energy, great bar, great food selection, but not too fancy. Our waiter was outstanding! How lucky this neighborhood is to have this nearby! We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Nice spot for lunchAmyFDined on 7/21/2014Was pleasantly surprised with the great atmosphere and enjoyable menu. Hadn't planned on eating at the bar but enjoyed the bartender Shannon and decided not to move on when my lunch date arrived. Great beet salad, especially liked the plate of cookies at the end for dessert. Will return.Special Features:
- Loud but great foodJarnoDined on 7/12/2014Great food, great service, lovely venue. Been here before, will come back again, and again.Special Features:
- Great service-awesome foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Great experience at the Brixton, drove in from San Jose to see Daniel Tosh and have our anniversary dinner... Found this place through yelp amd gave it a try....good choice, wife loved it! Best service I've had in years, waitress was great and the bus/assistance boys were awesome very friendly, super cool atmosphere. One draw back was the music was kinda loud but it wouldn't detour me from coming back! Food was in point and came out quickly! 5 stars front he Brixton!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BurgerkathrynjeVIPDined on 7/4/2014still the best burger in town... but noise has gotten ridiculously loud with rowdy 20-somethings that party here frequently. Will now stick to non Friday or Saturday night mealsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Early DinnerwingjVIPDined on 6/22/2014If we had known that this past Sunday will include huge groups (beside the neighborhood locals) from all over == we most probably wouldn't have picked this place for dinner. The restaurant was way too crowded with loud music playing after the USA Soccer match......luckily, the Sunday special prime rib was cooked just right and we enjoyed it without the need to talk / shout over the noise!Special Features:
- Really impressedFogcity99VIPDined on 6/5/2014The food and service were outstanding. Gotta try the toast chicken which has to be the best in the city. Home made apple pie for dessert is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great quick biteBradyDined on 6/4/2014Went for a birthday, and it was a great fit. Food was good, place was lively, but not too crazy, and who can go wrong with 1/2 priced bottles of wine on Wednesday?Special Features:
- Always a good time!Nicb360Dined on 6/1/2014I've never had an issue at The Brixton, awesome service, great food, and the ambiance is always on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Dinner DinerTHoffyVIPDined on 5/23/2014We arrived a little early for or reservation, but were accommodated immediately. Drinks were good and strong; some interesting concoctions! Overall food quality was good. Service was attentive but not over bearing. We finished our meal and hung out for a bit and finally decided to have another round of drinks, but felt no pressure to move on even while we were just visiting with our other diners.Special Features:
- sunnyVIPDined on 5/23/2014We were there early so ate off of the "late night" menu and there were plenty of choices and great happy hour specials. It was still very loud so I can only imagine what later would bring. It does have a large bar so that is what it is. I would go back. We had a wonderful server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but very noisyChrisiFDined on 5/16/2014The food was very good. Staff pleasant we had a larger party(7) and the noise level made it difficult to engage.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/6/2014My group of 20 loved it here for the food atmosphere and cocktails. Very accommodating and recommend for those wanting a casual yet fun dinner atmosphere after a long day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveMyFoodVIPDined on 4/26/2014Fun vibe but the service is terribly slow and inattentive when it's crowded during lunch on a weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but very noisyScottDined on 3/29/2014I routinely have brunch every weekend like any typical San Franciscan, and can say with some nonzero authority that the food here was above average. It did take a while for the waitress to come by and refill my coffee, which, as a programmer, is an absolute necessity to function like a real person, and I did have to ask for the check twice. As for the others in my group, they all enjoyed the food as much as I did, but have a much lower tolerance for noise than me. I think, anyway, since it was very difficult to hear them over the ambient noise in the restaurant. I'd come back for the food, but will keep looking to find somewhere quieter.Special Features:
- Hold Off on the Unnecessary Noise!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/27/2014It was really much too noisy to carry on a conversation. Most of the noise was not due conversations but to extremely loud thumping music that was uncalled for. Most of the groups at the bar were watching March Madness basketball games. Is that loud music really necessary? Don't mind music in the background but that thump, thump, thump does not add to the ambiance of what is a very good restaurant. Too bad. I may not go back again if I actually want to have a conversation with my friend or spouse.Special Features:
- Incredible food, but LOUD!DrSunshineDined on 3/8/2014Early reservation (5:00) for our party of 8 on a Saturday. It was mostly a Vibrant bar scene, with a noise level approaching maximum. We could only converse with the person next to or across from us, and we literally had to shout to hear each other. That said, the food was incredible, the service perfect. I don't think I would return for a dinner party because of the noise level, even though I may have sweet dreams of the "half chicken" entree I devoured. Definitely a happening place in the Marina!Special Features:
- DisappointingSteveDined on 3/6/2014I love eating at gastropubs when traveling in England and had high hopes that the best of that experience would be replicated here. Unfortunately, things were hit and miss. The noise level was very high, making normal conversation, as well as communicating with our server, quite difficult. The servers were friendly enough when they showed up, but seemed more interested in chatting with each other. It took me 40 minutes to get a cocktail, with no apology when it finally showed up. Food did come pretty quickly, but then the server came by to check how our meal was before we'd even had chance to pick up a fork. Highlights were the spinach and artichoke dip and the steak. The rest of the food was ok but underwhelming.Special Features:
- wha'd you say ?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014late night is a total bar scene for 20 and early 30 somethings with very few customers dining. don't even try to have an intelligent conversation. earlier might be more condusive to dining but the food is only average.Special Features:
- Cool vibe, good drinks ok foodnomnom100VIPDined on 2/23/2014Bloody Mary with bacon was perfect for Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE PLACE TO BE ON UNION STREET !!!FoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 2/16/2014This place was booming on an early Sunday evening. We had an indoor table, but right at the large doors that opened out to the exterior tables right on Union Street (great for people watching). I had their (very good) Grass fed Prather Ranch burger served on an ACME pain de mie bun with Balsamic red onions, Roma tomatoes, pickles, green leaf lettuce & Bleu cheese ($15) I added avocado ($1.50) * My wife had the Cornmeal Fried Chicken Salad (Cage-free & skinless) cornmeal fried chicken thigh over organic chopped romaine, blanched green beans, cherry tomatoes, sliced watermelon radishes & tossed with jalapeño-bacon buttermilk dressing ($13) She said it was Over The Top good (and it was:) the chicken moist & romaine ice cold - We will return !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BrixtontalkelaineDined on 2/14/2014We were a party of five and everyone enjoyed their food. The reviews were true about "stiff drinks," which suited me just fine. the server was frinedly and attentive. If I lived in the area, I'm sure I would go back. Since we live in the East Bay, however, battling the traffic and parking was enough of an issue to keep us from putting this on an "again" list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Date without the HassleMarkDined on 2/14/2014My date and I enjoyed the entire experience of dining at Brixtons. Low key, friendly vibe, tasty food, moderate prices, and a beautiful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.