2140 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brixtonsf.com/
- Phone: 4154091114x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM -3:30 PM
Dinner: Daily: 5:30 PM - 10:30 AM
Late Menu: 3:30 PM -5:30 PM and 10:30 PM -12:00 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jon Hara
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Brixton
The Brixton. A Welcome Refuge. Craft Beer and Specialty Cocktails. Scrumptious eats. A kick-drum backbeat. Whet your whistle and satisfy your food craving at The Brixton. Located in the heart of Cow Hollow, The Brixton is vim for the palette and vigor for the pulse. Daily from 11AM – 2AM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Brixton - Best Restaurants in Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio ›
The Brixton reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (36)good for groups (31)great for brunch (28)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (23)great for outdoor dining (17)great for lunch (15)fit for foodies (15)late-night find (13)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Excellent food, great drinksFogcity99VIPDined on 8/19/2014We just had a great meal at The Brixton. The blackened Mahi Mahi was spectacular and the roast chicken has to be one of the best we've had anywhere. The wine prices are really reasonable and the cocktails are spot on. Fun place to eat and drink.Special Features:
- Good ChoiceLASPDined on 8/16/2014On busy Union Street. Reasonable prices for area. Good food, good service. Loud and hopping!Special Features:
- Casual Lunch SpotMizzbeDined on 8/7/2014There's a nice, friendly vibe that permeates this pub-like restaurant. Food is good, but foodies will not get a "wow" experience, at least not with the dishes a friend and I tried. The steak sandwich with potato salad was tasty, the shellfish with chorizo was dominated by saltiness. An appetizer of stuffed eggs were tasty and uncomplicated. The clam chowder was a cut above the usual, and definitely worth ordering. I'd return to this place if I found myself on Union St. or lived in the neighborhood, but I wouldn't make a special trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Awesome VibeKrisDined on 8/6/2014I was very sad to see Mas Sake close its doors as it was my go to place in San Francisco but found this gem that is run by the same owners. The half chicken was so delicious and the presentation was just amazing. It was a juicy chicken with an amazing jus. My date had the ahi salad and she ate all of it .... very rare to see girls eat all their food. Drinks were great too especially the cucumber cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bar atmosphereBradyDined on 8/6/2014This is my second time dining here, and both times I was impressed at the dining atmosphere. Having been here multiple times later at night for the bar scene, I was pleasantly surprised with my meal. Half priced bottle of wine Wednesdays doesn't hurt either.Special Features:
- elizabethsofarawayDined on 7/21/2014We ended up here on a monday evening celebrating a 23rd birthday with family. It was the perfect place.;just the right amount of energy, great bar, great food selection, but not too fancy. Our waiter was outstanding! How lucky this neighborhood is to have this nearby! We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Nice spot for lunchAmyFDined on 7/21/2014Was pleasantly surprised with the great atmosphere and enjoyable menu. Hadn't planned on eating at the bar but enjoyed the bartender Shannon and decided not to move on when my lunch date arrived. Great beet salad, especially liked the plate of cookies at the end for dessert. Will return.Special Features:
- Loud but great foodJarnoDined on 7/12/2014Great food, great service, lovely venue. Been here before, will come back again, and again.Special Features:
- Great service-awesome foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Great experience at the Brixton, drove in from San Jose to see Daniel Tosh and have our anniversary dinner... Found this place through yelp amd gave it a try....good choice, wife loved it! Best service I've had in years, waitress was great and the bus/assistance boys were awesome very friendly, super cool atmosphere. One draw back was the music was kinda loud but it wouldn't detour me from coming back! Food was in point and came out quickly! 5 stars front he Brixton!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BurgerkathrynjeVIPDined on 7/4/2014still the best burger in town... but noise has gotten ridiculously loud with rowdy 20-somethings that party here frequently. Will now stick to non Friday or Saturday night mealsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Early DinnerwingjVIPDined on 6/22/2014If we had known that this past Sunday will include huge groups (beside the neighborhood locals) from all over == we most probably wouldn't have picked this place for dinner. The restaurant was way too crowded with loud music playing after the USA Soccer match......luckily, the Sunday special prime rib was cooked just right and we enjoyed it without the need to talk / shout over the noise!Special Features:
- Really impressedFogcity99VIPDined on 6/5/2014The food and service were outstanding. Gotta try the toast chicken which has to be the best in the city. Home made apple pie for dessert is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great quick biteBradyDined on 6/4/2014Went for a birthday, and it was a great fit. Food was good, place was lively, but not too crazy, and who can go wrong with 1/2 priced bottles of wine on Wednesday?Special Features:
- Always a good time!Nicb360Dined on 6/1/2014I've never had an issue at The Brixton, awesome service, great food, and the ambiance is always on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Dinner DinerTHoffyVIPDined on 5/23/2014We arrived a little early for or reservation, but were accommodated immediately. Drinks were good and strong; some interesting concoctions! Overall food quality was good. Service was attentive but not over bearing. We finished our meal and hung out for a bit and finally decided to have another round of drinks, but felt no pressure to move on even while we were just visiting with our other diners.Special Features:
- sunnyDined on 5/23/2014We were there early so ate off of the "late night" menu and there were plenty of choices and great happy hour specials. It was still very loud so I can only imagine what later would bring. It does have a large bar so that is what it is. I would go back. We had a wonderful server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but very noisyChrisiFDined on 5/16/2014The food was very good. Staff pleasant we had a larger party(7) and the noise level made it difficult to engage.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/6/2014My group of 20 loved it here for the food atmosphere and cocktails. Very accommodating and recommend for those wanting a casual yet fun dinner atmosphere after a long day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 263 reviews are from the The Brixton reviews archive.
- LoveMyFoodVIPDined on 4/26/2014Fun vibe but the service is terribly slow and inattentive when it's crowded during lunch on a weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but very noisyScottDined on 3/29/2014I routinely have brunch every weekend like any typical San Franciscan, and can say with some nonzero authority that the food here was above average. It did take a while for the waitress to come by and refill my coffee, which, as a programmer, is an absolute necessity to function like a real person, and I did have to ask for the check twice. As for the others in my group, they all enjoyed the food as much as I did, but have a much lower tolerance for noise than me. I think, anyway, since it was very difficult to hear them over the ambient noise in the restaurant. I'd come back for the food, but will keep looking to find somewhere quieter.Special Features:
- Hold Off on the Unnecessary Noise!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/27/2014It was really much too noisy to carry on a conversation. Most of the noise was not due conversations but to extremely loud thumping music that was uncalled for. Most of the groups at the bar were watching March Madness basketball games. Is that loud music really necessary? Don't mind music in the background but that thump, thump, thump does not add to the ambiance of what is a very good restaurant. Too bad. I may not go back again if I actually want to have a conversation with my friend or spouse.Special Features:
- Incredible food, but LOUD!DrSunshineDined on 3/8/2014Early reservation (5:00) for our party of 8 on a Saturday. It was mostly a Vibrant bar scene, with a noise level approaching maximum. We could only converse with the person next to or across from us, and we literally had to shout to hear each other. That said, the food was incredible, the service perfect. I don't think I would return for a dinner party because of the noise level, even though I may have sweet dreams of the "half chicken" entree I devoured. Definitely a happening place in the Marina!Special Features:
- DisappointingSteveDined on 3/6/2014I love eating at gastropubs when traveling in England and had high hopes that the best of that experience would be replicated here. Unfortunately, things were hit and miss. The noise level was very high, making normal conversation, as well as communicating with our server, quite difficult. The servers were friendly enough when they showed up, but seemed more interested in chatting with each other. It took me 40 minutes to get a cocktail, with no apology when it finally showed up. Food did come pretty quickly, but then the server came by to check how our meal was before we'd even had chance to pick up a fork. Highlights were the spinach and artichoke dip and the steak. The rest of the food was ok but underwhelming.Special Features:
- wha'd you say ?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014late night is a total bar scene for 20 and early 30 somethings with very few customers dining. don't even try to have an intelligent conversation. earlier might be more condusive to dining but the food is only average.Special Features:
- Cool vibe, good drinks ok foodnomnom100Dined on 2/23/2014Bloody Mary with bacon was perfect for Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE PLACE TO BE ON UNION STREET !!!FoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 2/16/2014This place was booming on an early Sunday evening. We had an indoor table, but right at the large doors that opened out to the exterior tables right on Union Street (great for people watching). I had their (very good) Grass fed Prather Ranch burger served on an ACME pain de mie bun with Balsamic red onions, Roma tomatoes, pickles, green leaf lettuce & Bleu cheese ($15) I added avocado ($1.50) * My wife had the Cornmeal Fried Chicken Salad (Cage-free & skinless) cornmeal fried chicken thigh over organic chopped romaine, blanched green beans, cherry tomatoes, sliced watermelon radishes & tossed with jalapeño-bacon buttermilk dressing ($13) She said it was Over The Top good (and it was:) the chicken moist & romaine ice cold - We will return !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BrixtontalkelaineDined on 2/14/2014We were a party of five and everyone enjoyed their food. The reviews were true about "stiff drinks," which suited me just fine. the server was frinedly and attentive. If I lived in the area, I'm sure I would go back. Since we live in the East Bay, however, battling the traffic and parking was enough of an issue to keep us from putting this on an "again" list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Date without the HassleMarkDined on 2/14/2014My date and I enjoyed the entire experience of dining at Brixtons. Low key, friendly vibe, tasty food, moderate prices, and a beautiful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy HourRojoDined on 2/11/2014Good spot for meeting friends and having some good food! The Spinach Artichoke dip is a good start. Great salads! The happy hour lasts and lasts from 11-7 most days and 11 am to 2 am on Tuesday. The wine list is Central California centric but has some good choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceFogcity99VIPDined on 2/10/2014Delicious crab cakes, fantastic rib eye and the kale salad was spot on. The bar was lively and the drinks were perfect. We were impressed with the service. We love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with the RentsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014This was a gre4at place to meet my parents and reconnect; it had been awhile since id seen them. Before my parents got there though, my sister and I had a few drinks and had a great time. This is a great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maintaining ExcellenceNeekVIPDined on 1/28/2014I always love it when a restaurant is able to keep their food delicious and well-prepared. The Brixton continues to treat their customers with excellent food and great service. This time, we had a bunch of small plates and were in a hurry to make a show. Our server was great, our hot food came out piping hot, and everything (including wine and cocktails) were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choices on the menu.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/27/2014Great choices on the menu. We had 2 salads. Both were tasty - steak and green bean salad, and chicken with beets. Our server was very friendly and helpful. Definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we tried this restaurant outOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/16/2014PROS: 1) Service very good - excellent waitress, knew her wine, very patient; bus help attentive; 2) Good portions - the caesar wedge salad, pork chop, and apple pie +++; 3) Happening crowd for a Thursday CONS: 1) very noisy; 2) blue crab cakes bland/generic but good dipping sauce; I would definitely return and try the meatball appetizer. This would be a good place for a group of 4+ who like to share food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was super tastyFogcity99VIPDined on 1/7/2014We had two delicious salads, one kale salad and. Wedge salad with creamy blue cheese dressing. The roasted half chicken was cooked to perfection and the steak is an incredible deal. Some gems on the menu are the desserts like the apple pie which are homemade and freshly delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for picky eatersOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/28/2013My parents are notoriously picky and both raved about their appetizers and main course. The wine list was extensive. The service was amazingly good...never had to ask for more water, more bread, more of anything. Attentive without being obnoxious. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great service! Wine 50% Disc. Wed.EatmyheartoutVIPDined on 12/11/2013Energetic, GREAT RIB EYE! The 50% discount on the wine list on Wed. for all bottles is a STEAL of a deal! Super Servers! Good for the younger, bar crowd!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't bother goingOliveDined on 12/8/2013I suppose it would be OK to have a drink at the bar, but the food I had was awful. Pretty much all of the food was overcooked, the bottom of the pancakes were burnt, the bacon was more than crispy, the french fries were salty. My friend had the chicken & avocado sandwich and didn't like it at all.
- Brunch crushAn1chkaVIPDined on 11/24/2013If the door is open five minutes before 11 and there is a line of people outside, there would be no harm at all in going ahead and seating people a little early. The staff was clearly ready to go and standing around. If you don't want to let anyone in early then keep the door shut. Just a little annoyance, but when I walk in and say we're here for our 11am reservation and then am ignored or told to wait outside until the precise dot of 11, it doesn't make a great first impression. The food and our waiter were fantastic - this isn't the first time the host/bar staff have brought down the overall experience for me.
- We ate a bunch of appetizerssrtapalaskyDined on 11/19/2013We ate a bunch of appetizers and loved everything! The only thing we were a little disappointed by was the spinach artichoke dipSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.