The Brick Hotel & Restaurant
1 East Washington Avenue
Newtown, PA 18940Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Brick Hotel & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brickhotel.com/
- Phone: 2158608313
- Hours of Operation:
We invite you to enjoy a charming old world experience at the Historic Brick Hotel & Restaurant located in the heart of Newtown's Historic Main Street. We proudly sit behind a white picket fence with a well tended garden. Our award-winning Restaurant offers breakfast, lunch, dinner & brunch menus open year-round where the setting is casual yet the experience is fine dining. Stay in one of the lovely fifteen guest rooms for a weekend getaway that memories are made of, ending with a spectacular Sunday Brunch & a stroll through Historic Newtown Borough. We have won Best in Bucks for Brunch (2011,2010, 2009, 2008...)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Adam
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Contact 215-860-8313 for your Birthdays, Showers, Wedding, Business Meetings, and any special events. We help you plan and make is very easy for you. We can accommodate 20-120 guests. Guests rave about our Menus and gourmet creations and love the ambiance.
- Private Party Facilities: Brick provides On and Off premise catering for private affairs.
- Private Party Contact: Kim Carney 2158608313
- Entertainment: Bar Happy Hour Sunday - Friday from 5PM to 7PM.
Martini Night Out every Thursday with Martini Specials for $5 --5pm-10pm
- Special Events: Free Wine Tastings every 1st Wednesday.
Best in Bucks Brunch 2011 every Sunday!
Best in Bucks Dinner!
Join us for all the holidays and make them special.
New Years Eve
A word from The Brick Hotel & Restaurant
Come visit a striking presence along Newtown's Historic Main Street. It sits gleaming behind a white picket fence with well tended gardens. Enjoy a trend-setting dining experience in glass-enclosed verandas or casual fare outdoors enhanced by gardens of Old World charm. Our award-winning Restaurant offers seasonal breakfast, lunch, dinner & brunch menus for year-round casual & fine dining. Stay in one of the hotel's fifteen guest rooms. Enjoy a weekend that memories are made of, culminating with a spectacular Sunday Brunch & a stroll through Historic Newtown Borough. We have won Best in Bucks for Brunch (2010, 2009, 2008...)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Brick Hotel & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (4)special occasion (3)good for groups (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)neighborhood gem (2)fit for foodies (2)romantic (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- LocalFoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014Enjoyed our brunch in the front garden on a Saturday so road noise not too bad! Recommend the pear and apple salad--an oldie but goodie. The eggs Benedict poached eggs needed drying -made English muffin a bit soggy . Cheerful service !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brick Hotel Sat NightdscvringDined on 7/12/2014The restaurant certainly has the location but suffers from lack of attention to details. We sat outside for dinner on a Saturday night. The sound coming from the speakers constantly crackled like a poorly tuned radio station. Half of the rope lighting around the rim of the roof was out. It became too dark eventually and was difficult seeing each other and our food. To add to the ambiance they could use some low voltage landscape lighting and up light the large tree. The food was just okay and the price of the food was higher than the quality suggests. It is probably why there weren't many people there on a Saturday night and other restaurants in the area had folks waiting outside their doors.
- Very disappointingbengendaDined on 6/8/2014We were a party of five for Sunday brunch. There was a buffet and you could order omelettes or a waffle. On the buffet, the bacon and sausages were burnt. The bagels were stale. There was a good pasta, the '"seasonal Fruit platter" was just cut up cantaloupe that tasted like cardboard. We waited a long time for our table, even though we had a reservation. As we were finally seated, someone threw the flatware on our table. The server did not keep up with refilling water glasses and when asked to do so she dissappeared for 15 minutes. The "Belgium" waffle arrived at our table on a plate all by itself. We had to ask for butter and it was not bought to us in a timely manner.All this for $28 per person! So disappointing.
- LouiseDined on 5/31/2014We had not been here for years. Had a very nice table by the window and even though there was a couple right behind us, the noise level was very low. Enjoyed the evening, then walked the town of Newtown which has lots of nice shops.Special Features:
- Just OKLadyDined on 5/31/2014We haven't eaten at the Brick Hotel in many years. Unfortunately we will not go back again for a very long. The food was just ok and the chef was over zealous with the salt shaker. In our area there are tooooo many restaurants around with great food. We were looking forward to our night out and were disappointed. Good luck if you try this place.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchCookieGalDined on 5/11/2014The items on the menu which were "originally" on your site were not all served. The children were looking forward to the waffle station (which was not available. The buffet setup was dark, crowded and hard to navigate around other guests going in different directions. The desserts were a melted mess and should have been placed on ice. When attempting to handle them, they fell apart before you could get them on the plate. The service was very good, however before placing a 20% tip automatically on a customers bill, which may be standard in a five star restaurant, you may have wanted to ask how many stars were you worthy of that day?Special Features:
- Average at bestFalconerVIPDined on 5/10/2014My companion and I thought this place was going out of business... That was the vibe. Such a great location, however the service was average, and our steaks were undercooked. Bathrooms were dirty and certain elements were out if order.
- The following 183 reviews are from the The Brick Hotel & Restaurant reviews archive.
- Service was not that greatDelcoDined on 4/20/2014Food was very good but the service was slow and not very professional. I would not go there again.
- awful experience for the moneyJeffDined on 4/18/2014Only 3 tables in the whole place were seated. 2 waiters and other staff. Good Friday so we expected either to be mobbed or slow. It was slow but how when there are 3 tables does it take 40 minutes to cook a medium rare filet and 2 crab cakes? I will never go back. Over priced because it is in Newtown! Should have went to Isaac Newtons for a burger. This is supposed to be a neighborhood gem. Not worth it if you ask me.
- Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/9/2014The Brick Hotel was once famed for it's Sunday Brunch, and I was excited to go there with my family. When we arrived none of the chafing dishes had been opened, and some of the serving utensils were missing, as well as condiments (butter/cream cheese for the bagels, syrup for the french toast). While we were up to fill our plates, wait staff stood looking at us without even bothering to help open the pans of food, let alone assist. Eggs and omletes were ordered through the wait staff, as well as coffee. Our waitress passed by our table two times and did not bother to ask if we needed a refill on coffee or water. The food was so-so, and for $30 per person, should have been a fabulous experience.
- Birthday brunchSuzeDined on 3/2/2014Food and service were excellent . There was a large party with music and we felt we were actually a part of it. Not a bad thing since we were in a party mood. My only complaint was that by 1:30 a number of items on the buffet table were gone. Our servers assistant was wonderful.Special Features:
- No Reservation on FileSJB52Dined on 2/14/2014When we arrived at our appointed time, the hostess had no record of our reservation through Open Table. We were seated, however, without a problem. My wife and I are not sure the hostess ever heard of Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed a delicious dinnerDebbieODined on 1/10/2014We enjoyed a delicious dinner in a beautiful setting. Menu did not contain any unusual or particularly creative items, but everything we ordered was extremely good. Mushroom soup was the best I've ever had. Service was attentive. The hotel is a beautiful old building, full of character and charm. We ate on the porch in January and it was comfortable and warm. I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited at the front for 25OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2013Waited at the front for 25 minutes and was never taken to my table, other couple was there before us and left, so we shortly left too. A woman did arrive and tell us she was getting our table ready about 10 minutes after we arrived but after the 25 minute total wait (with reservation) we felt they took up enough of our time.
- what's up?colinDined on 12/30/2013we have been visiting the Brick for many many years. this day for lunch we were saddled with an inexperienced server, an almost empty restaurant - no bar tender , no bus. server disa[[eared fro a looong time & cam back with a drink that neither looked nor tasted anything like it was to- no bartender? one appetizer arrived, thenhe planned to brinng the rest of all the courses together? where was everyone? disappointing
- Great plact to eat or partyBerylVIPDined on 12/28/2013We had a great meal, though the service was not up to the Brick's usual standard. (new waiter) We were seated in a room away from a very large birthday party, which helped considerably to control the noise. We had a very pleasant meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY NICEOUT2muchVIPDined on 12/24/2013GOING OUT ON A BIG HOLIDAY IS SOMETIME VERY IFFY. THE BRICK HOTEL WAS SPOT ON THIS CHRISTMAS EVE. THE SELECTION WAS GREAT, PRESENTATION NICE AND THE FOOD WAS DELICIOUS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real disappointmentVivvyDined on 12/9/2013Very salty food Tasteless I was so upset People came to visit and to a person no one enjoyedSpecial Features:
- Lack LusterKennebunkDined on 11/28/2013Although my first visit, a friend had reason to visit this restaurant on a few occassions with positive recommendations. I was disappointed with the overall presentation, the building is beautifully restored ~ fresh paint, lovely plantings indoors, clean table linens. Unfortunately, the service was only adequate, the lighting harsh, cold and unwelcoming. The food all be it very good was sloppily attended. Having very infrequently dined out on a major holiday, and foremost having been in the hospitality business for many many years this visit will not linger in my memory book as favorable. I will return in the summer for a more initimate and private occasion hoping to restore my admiration for this establishment.Special Features:
- Lunch with friendDottieDined on 11/19/2013Table on glassed-in porch was lovely with view of garden, quiet, temperature perfect. Varied menu provided a fancy salad for me and an old-fashioned grilled cheese sandwich for my friend. We both were quite satisfied with the taste, appearance and quantitiy of food. Reasonable price as well, no higher than other places with noise and not-as-good food. Would happily go soon again.Special Features:
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/27/2013We arrived for brunch. The waiter was nice but inexperienced. Things he should have noticed, such as not pouring tea before people go to the buffet, never occurred to him. I order something and another item arrived. I restated what I had ordered, he came back to ask if I was sure because that wasn't what he wrote down. I assured him that I knew what I had ordered. When he brought a pot of hot water for fresh tea, no tea bag was supplied. When asked, he said that people usually used the used tea bag they had but did give us another. Very tacky. The buffet was satisfactory only. Trays weren't full. Lighting was dim and no wait staff was around. It just didn't seem as though anyone cared.Special Features:
- Disappointing brunchJudyDined on 10/27/2013Food selection very limited and not as advertised. They also ran out of certain items and it was not crowded. It was not cheap and neither the food selection nor the quality was worth it. This was a shame because the seating on the enclosed porch was very pleasant and our waiter was excellent. With that said, the Bloody Mary may have been the best I've ever had. But we won't be going back for the brunch.
- Quiet, and very pleasentOUT2muchVIPDined on 9/27/2013Beautiful old building. Nice enclosed porch with view of outdoor dining. Food was good waiter was very friendly and attentive. Will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2013Excellent food and a pretty garden-dining area. Indoors is charming, but age is beginning to show and there is a damp, fishy smell about it.Special Features:
- Food ONLY FAIR, nothing special!RespectfulOneDined on 9/14/2013Food was ordinary, and a little pricey. The place seems to be trading on it's historical significance and location, rather than it's food and service. The ambiance includes peeling paint chips over our table. Appetizers took forever to come; all at table dined on bread, because nothing came for 25 minutes. My mushroom soup, although tasty, came cold. Had to ask for water, twice. Entrees were nothing special . My steak was served cold, with soggy, cold shoestring potatoes atop. To be frank, we were all lookking forward to a "special" meal, and walked-away dissapointed! All at the table remarked that we weren't coming back. With AA++ being a superior rating, and FF-- being a horible rating, the Brick Hotel at best deserves a DD+++Special Features:
- Quiet and TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2013We looked for a place that was quiet because we were dining with my older mother who has hearing aids. The Brick was a perfect spot mid-week. Not busy, quiet, comfortable and excellent foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch reviewkmh106Dined on 8/18/2013Unfortunately I was really disappointed with their brunch selection. The selection is limited to 2-3 hot breakfast items, 2-3 hot lunch options, and various "continental breakfast" type spreads. Omelets are also available, but they're made in the back kitchen and the ingredient options aren't listed anywhere. Table service was excellent, but at the buffet the carving station employee just abandoned the job. If this was a bargain, $10 to 15 type brunch I would have been satisfied, but we were celebrating a special occasion and expected this place to be top notch (which the restaurant seems to believe it should be, based on their $30 per head charge).Special Features:
- terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2013I had the misfortune of going for lunch while they were hosting a party. Our server was terrible. After saying she would be "right back", it was 20 minutes before she took our order, another 10 minutes for our drinks to arrive, and another 15 for our meals. Another server who saw us looking frustrated brought our drinks (just in time as we were ready to leave). Salad dressing and necessary silverware were another long wait.This is normally a great place for me to bring clients for lunch, but after this fiasco, i will choose a more reliable location! It takes the pleasure out of a meal if you're frustrated by the service (and running late getting back to work). Other than vacant apologies, nothing was done to correct the problem!
- What Happened To This PlaceAggieheavenVIPDined on 6/28/2013Had dinner here 2 years ago, great food, great service. Visited again the other night, one waitress running the whole restaurant, no bartender and a new trainee. Restaurant was empty except for one other couple. Food came out disappointing, everything was overcooked and not prepared well. Not likely that we will go back for dinner given prices didn't add up to the quality.
- Briick for Sunday BrunchKeithWDined on 6/9/2013The Menu was varied, with a carving station, salads, the expected variety of breakfast meats and lox & bagel, eggs to order (from your server), Belgian Waffle and a really nice walnut-encrusted French toast, and some pretty luxurious desserts. The food was fresh and fragrant. On the downside, Belgian Waffles don't really stand up to chafing dishes that well- the crispness the waffle is supposed to have just goes away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs maintenanceAlANOVIPDined on 6/7/2013Tired leaky place on a rainy day! Basic food. Ok service. I ordered a Maker's mark manhattan up, rocks on the side. My waitress asked if that was a rocks back, and did I want vermouth in that! She made the drink! I must admit it was a perfectly good cocktail! When we walked into the place ... It was tired and really humid in the hostess desk area.
- AwfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2013Went to celebrate a graduation. Service is absurd!Our breakfast took two hours because each meal was served separately. A portion of each meal every 10-20 minutes, including things we didn't order. We ordered complicated items like eggs and pancakes so understandably there was a high degree if difficulty. The waitress didn't see a problem but she explained they were "short staffed so things were crazy"...there was one other table besides us! After our gross pancakes and sausage that looked like something my dog left on the lawn the waitress apologized because she "forgot to charge us for our kid's drinks". What?! Terrible food, worse service - owner should be ashamed that they are wasting this great space.
- Very DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2013We went to enjoy "Saturday Brunch" only to find out it was a la carte. This was not indicated on the website. Several orders of "Belgium Waffles w/ Fresh Berries & Whipped Cream" ($9) came out looking deflated, barely warm, with 2 strawberries, 6 blueberries and no whipped cream. The service was friendly and accommodating, but scarce and slow. Very disappointing.
- Lovely place for lunch or dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/27/2013We had dinner Memorial Day at the Brick. The good was delicious and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing special....OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2013slow service and average food. price should be about half what they charged based on the food.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/12/2013We have enjoyed brunch at the Brick Hotel in the past and were excited to go back. However, both the food and service were disappointing. The buffet was not restocked often so that things were missing when you got in line or were no longer hot from sitting out so long. Things were not executed very well (limp bacon, a shrimp cocktail shot glass with one shrimp but enough cocktail sauce for a dozen). Service seemed haphazard. For example, one of our party was brought an empty glass for juice, but the juice was not self-serve. When our server made a mistake running our check, she told us she didn't know how to fix it, rather than just apologizing and asking her manager. The desserts were very good and it was packed, but we will not be back.
- Our experience was poor. ThePaulDined on 5/12/2013Our experience was poor. The food was over priced and of poor quality. The restaraunt itself was fair at best.
- Brick Hotel, Saturday, May 11OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/11/2013I'd dined here years ago and liked it and was up in that area so I made a last-minute decision to have dinner at the Brick Hotel. The staff was quite friendly and the food tasty. The only complaint I have was the water; I'm sure it's not the restaurant's fault, but the water they served tasted terrible. A minor problem, granted; I ordered ice tea as a substitute which tasted fine as did the decaf I sipped with dessert. I wonder if the whole municipality of Newtown has to deal with this water. At any rate, dinner was very good, and the after dinner stroll through the village quite pleasant.Special Features:
- I only drink Chevas and wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013I only drink Chevas and was served Walker red or Dewars. Mentioned it to bartender and pointed difference of the scotch. Food was mediocre for the price. Waiter was very good.
- No GoDiningVIPDined on 4/6/2013Cannot review as the reservation was not "shown" as listed after arriving at the restaurant. After a few minutes of waiting and being told we could be seated an hour later, we left and went to different restaurant across the street and they were happy to seat us