The Brewer's Art
1106 N Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Brewer's Art
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebrewersart.com/
- Phone: (410) 547-6925
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary American, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Ray Kumm
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Cross Street: Between Chase and Biddle
- Public Transit: Light Rail: Cultural Center, 3 blocks west of us.
Amtrak/MARC train: Penn Station, 5 blocks north of us.
Bus stop(#3,11,61), Chase and Charles, 1/4 block south of us .
Coming in 2010: Circulator Purple Line, Charles and Biddle, 1/2 block north of us.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking free after 6 PM.
Attended garage at Belvedere Hotel, 1/2 block south of us.
1017 N. Charles Street
A word from The Brewer's Art
Innovative cuisine in an historic mansion set in Baltimore's scenic Mt. Vernon neighborhood. Award-winning ales brewed on the premises, with carefully selected wines and spirits also available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Brewer's Art - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
The Brewer's Art reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (115)neighborhood gem (89)vibrant bar scene (87)special occasion (78)romantic (56)hot spot (53)good for groups (35)notable wine list (19)late-night find (14)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- LeedDined on 11/22/2014The guys who ordered the hanger steaks were unhappy with their steaks. Edible but not as good as that cut can be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, so so servicecplotVIPDined on 11/16/2014The Brewer's Art is located in a beautiful old house. The dinning room is warm and inviting. The food was interesting and very very good. The beers obviously are made at the site and offer a number of choices. My only complaint was the service. We went before a theater event and found the waitress at first very attentive but after the initial contacts, she was not easily found and was not always helpful. It did get busy with the preshow patronage and she was one of two wait staff. The restaurant probably could use an additional person during those busy hoursSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday NightLouisaVIPDined on 11/15/2014Went on a whim. Sitting in the dining room is a completely different experience than the bar downstairs, which is incredibly festive in its own right. The food was incredible. One of the best meals we have had in a long time. The server was knowledgeable and enthusiastic, which added to the experience. Looking forward to returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply DevineFirstBaltimoreVisitDined on 11/14/2014This resturant is beyond outstanding. The food was meticulously prepared and delicious . It was so outstanding we considered a second visit, but with only one night left in Baltimore we opted for Italian . The wait staff is personable and intuitive, knowledgeable of the offerings. A must try is the brusslesprouts, they are the best I have ever experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/11/2014Food and service were very good, but the restaurant is very noisy and the drinks, including wince by the glass, are horribly overpriced.Special Features:
- Food was outstandingbaltisarahVIPDined on 11/10/2014This is a neighborhood gem, hip bar, vibrant scene -- yes -- all of that. But they also have an out of this world menu with a very knowledgeable and attentive staff to carry it off. Took a friend here for his birthday and it was THE perfect choice. Especially with it being a Monday when things in the city are typically dead. Brewer's Art still managed to bring it :)Special Features:
- Glad We Took Their AdvicePhillyBeerSnobsDined on 11/9/2014Ran into a young couple at Fels Point that recommended BA since we love Belgium beer...well we went for the beers but absolutely loved the food and the decor just added even more to our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food rude serviceBmoreinBmoreDined on 11/8/2014The food and the atmosphere are polished and professional. The caveat is that the upstairs bar area is maddeningly loud. Some professional sound proofing would resolve this easily. The bars are known for their solid brews and cocktails, but you shouldn't expect bar food. We had oysters for an app and steak frites and scallops for entrees and all were quite good. Our only complaint was that our server was rude. He virtually threw our food and drinks down after insisting that my steak shouldn't be served rare (the way I ordered it) because it wasn't a tender cut of meat. Paradoxically, he argued cooking it more would "firm it up." He then threw down my water on my dessert menu while I was viewing it. We left without ordering from it.Special Features:
- Perfect spotQuinnDined on 11/7/2014Perfect spot to start, or end, your evening of "art" at the Meyerhoff or Lyric. Vibrant atmosphere, great service (thanks Corey!) and wonderful choices of food, wine and beer made for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal date night: perfect foodaudiswanDined on 11/7/2014We recently celebrated with a special date night out to Brewer's Art. The two entrees were both perfect: comfort food with an elegant twist that paired perfectly with the Brewer's Art own beer. I'm still dreaming of the parsnip-ginger puree that accompanied my pork tenderloin. Perfectly well-done. We chose to eat downstairs which added a fun ambience on a Friday night. Excellent restaurant, terrific food, and great atmosphere! Beer was perfect, per usual. We'll be back!Special Features:
- OutstandingforesthilljerryDined on 11/6/2014Everything was great. The beer was great, the food delicious, dessert was very good. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for an outstanding crAft beer or a foodie looking for an outstanding meal. We had a celebration dinner and everyone in our party felt we had found a new favorite.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereFredDined on 11/1/2014Enjoyed the food and atmosphere menu a little limited but what is available is a great variety seated after reservation time but service was quickSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- post-movie dinnerBabaVIPDined on 11/1/2014Had a delicious and beautifully presented meal. Might be nice to have an after-theater menu with a few lighter choices since the restaurant was certainly busy and well-located for after-theater or -concert.Special Features:
- Wonderful againOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/28/2014We eat here generally once a month before attending an event at the Myerhoff. Food is always very good, with a periodically changing and creative menu. Beverages, especially the beer,really great selection, including the home brews! Service couldnt be better! A great way to start out the night!Special Features:
- So-so, worth a visitmngordoVIPDined on 10/28/2014The bar scene revolves around some very excellent beers, so "beer people" will enjoy the scene. We are more martini-wine folks, and while the bartenders did their best and their martinis were decent, martinis are not their big thing. Menu had sufficient choices. Wife had veal porterhouse and I had the hanger steak, which was cooked exactly as ordered (medium) but was on the "tough" side for sure. My wife's veal dish was "good" and complemented by the very fair priced bottle of wine we ordered. If you've not had a meal there it's worth a try...and might suit you very well.Special Features:
- WorthyMaggiDined on 10/25/2014I love the old home re-do. It's very atmospheric, and in a nice area of Mt. Vernon. I have brought several groups (parties of 6-7), and everyone loved it. Very good food, and outstanding beers. Upstairs is more upscale, with big bar room at front, and smaller dining rooms off of that. Downstairs is a cozy and casual with small tables and bar- appetizers and small plate type options.Special Features:
- Fabulous Dinner ExperienceBakersDozenDined on 10/24/2014I took a friend and their parents to Brewer's for a Friday night dinner and everything was excellent. Our waitress was knowledgeable regarding food, beer, wine, and after dinner drink menu items that enhanced our ordering abilities. Once ordered, the food arrived hot (or cold per the dish) in a timely manner and we were never rushed to finish our food or order the next course. Very attentive, the wait staff never left too many dishes, bottles, glasses on our table. Every dish exceeded the previous, starting with multiple apps including the pork belly, and ending with the best carrot cake I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FindOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/24/2014We've been going to Baltimore restaurants for some time now and not sure why The Brewer's Art never appeared on our radar. But, wow, are we glad we found it! We started with two glasses of Resurrection Ale and some cheeses, got the Heirloom Carrot Salad and Crispy Brussels Sprouts after that, and then finished with the Pasta of the Day which was Goat Gnocchi; slow roasted goat in a butter sauce with some goat cheese on the top. Everything was outstanding and our server, Brian, was top-notch, explaining everything in detail and making what was essentially a four-appetizer conglomerate into a delicious and well-balanced meal. All of that along with the amazing bread and Ale-infused butter left no room for dessert. So we'll return!Special Features:
- Above averageNateDined on 10/18/2014We went to Brewer's Art for our first wedding anniversary. Overall, this was a very pleasant experience, especially for the price. The service and the ambiance are great, the beer is top-notch. My only drawback was the preparation of some of the food, in particular the frites, which were overcooked and not that great. Otherwise, the mussels, charcuterie (sp?) plate and hangar steak were delicious.Special Features:
- Amazing as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014Terrific cocktail hour, GREAT meal. Truly enjoyed our evening entertaining friends at the Brewer's Art. Only regret is that we found ourselves having such a great time that we overstayed in the dining room!!Special Features:
- Always a good mealfirsttimerDined on 10/10/2014Love the beer selection and the entrees were top notch. We had the pork tenderloin and the stuffed squash. Both were excellent. You could cut the pork with a fork. The baked oysters were tasty, but arrived cold.Special Features:
- NewNeighborDined on 10/10/2014Many times over...always enjoyable and delicious. Loved the new fall menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, not far from Lyric TheaterSMJ1949VIPDined on 10/10/2014We're not beer drinkers, but a lot of patrons were. We were there before a comedy show at the Lyric. Nice greeting. Good table, Salads were excellent. Service good. My wife had the duck and I had the steak frites. She did better. Good, homemade frites came soggy from the sauce for the OK stake. I asked for and got a separate plate of hot, crisp fries. Chocolate torte excellent. Cocktails interesting and good. They could improve by not making the food sound so cute. It's a better restaurant than its menuSpecial Features:
- Love.MovedFromCBusDined on 10/4/2014Brewer's Art was an amazing surprise. We are new to Baltimore and were so pleased with the food, craft beers and atmosphere. Everything was absolutely delicious and the service was fantastic. I would go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014We really enjoyed our dining experience here. The food and wine were delicious.Special Features:
- Saturday Night!PamelaDined on 10/4/2014I had dinner here with friends before attending a concert at Metro Gallery. The food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food as Good as the BrewsMartyVIPDined on 10/3/2014A wide array of beautiful craft beers, paired with wonderful foods. Lamb neck was fabulous, as was the heirloom tomato salad. My friends had two of the fishes and enjoyed them as well. Server was a beer expert, in addition to highly knowledgeable about the food.Special Features:
- Too NoisyMissRumphiusDined on 9/30/2014The food, service and selections are very good but the resturant is so noisy you can't hear your table mates. Something needs to be done to limit the noise.Special Features:
- Terrific food and drinkRexspecsVIPDined on 9/27/2014Had an excellent meal and terrific drinks. It was crowded, but the staff didn't seem at all flustered and the service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than beer: great food!FromDCDined on 9/27/2014We've now been here twice for dinner and the food is outstanding. We had swordfish with kale, striped bass, and duck breast - all the dishes were delectable. The appetizers also were outstanding (butter lettuce salad and heirloom tomato salad). We also enjoyed the restaurant's draft beer. There is a lively bar at the front of the restaurant, but if you venture further inside, you'll have a wonderful dining experience in beautiful rooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday dinner!MemeDined on 9/22/2014My son took me to The Brewer's Art for my birthday, and we both enjoyed delicious appetizers, entrees, beer and wine. To top it off, the chocolate torte was served with a lit candle. It was a memorable evening for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food!AmyTDined on 9/20/2014We hadn't eaten a Brewer's Art in several years...the food was excellent. The building is gorgeous and very interesting. We dined with 6 of us and could have a nice conversation without any difficulty across the table. The service was excellent. What a lovely evening! Will go back here for our next BSO evening!Special Features:
- dinner44Dined on 9/19/2014Brewer's Art offers it's own brewed beers. which are quite good. We particularly enjoyed Ozzy and Resurrection. We went for a late, light supper. Had salads (the butter lettuce was excellent) and then shared four small plates (appetizers). The Buffalo Bresaola was a unique combo and very well done. The heirloom tomato salad also was quite enjoyable. The swedish meatballs, mushrooms,and fettucini were overwhelmed by a heavy stroganoff sauce. The Art Cheeseboard was fine ... but nothing to write home about. Our server was attentive and very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Great Beer Made Here!stevezDined on 9/19/2014I have been here for their house brewed beers many times, 2nd time dining. Food was excellent, but perhaps a bit light on the portions. Entrée selection was somewhat limited, however, I imagine this allows them to concentrate on perfecting their offerings, which they certainly do. 2 negative aspects of our visit combined to become an irritant. The noise level was more than "energetic". I would have called it a battle to tune it out. And then comes the lovely waitperson with the softest voice possible. Even after asking to repeat, I was still not sure I got it. I cannot think of another place that has equally great food and beer made on premises, and will continue to return on my annual business trips here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemChillDined on 9/19/2014Unique experience. Solid food and true craft beer. Classy setting. Can't wait to return. A bit pricey though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but noisyEmmagirlDined on 9/18/2014Brewer's is a great place to meet up with friends for drinks and to have an awesome meal. It's only downside is the dining area is super noisy. I felt like I was shouting the entire meal. The food was so good I would go back but only during off-hours.Special Features:
- What an amazing find!markDined on 9/17/2014Our server, Rachel was absolutely the greatest! She was cheerful and helpful. We plan on telling ALL of our friends about this restaurant!Special Features:
- Great place in BaltimoreChipperDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I had dinner here recently on a Saturday evening. It's an old restored mansion in the Mt. Vernon area of town. The cocktails were perfect, the appetizers inventive and delicious, and the entree's were both top notch. Our server was attentive and friendly and the beer (I had a Belgian Ale) was wonderful.Special Features:
- Our first time - overall goodcoopDined on 9/13/2014Our critique is that we felt rushed at first, after our drinks and salad arrived practically at the same time, service was timed better. However, the Ceasar salad was soggy and too salty. I would not order it again. Our Steak Frites had great flavor but a bit tough. The potatoes were good.Special Features:
- Solid place for good beerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014The food at Brewer's Art was good, but not great. Some dishes were outstanding, but others were only ok. There were elements that were fantastic, but there were also elements that were bland texturally or flavor-wise. Brewer's Art also brews their own beer, several of which are very good. They also have a fantastic beer list. Overall I'm glad we dined here, but I'm not sure we'd go again.