The Brewer's Art
1106 N Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Brewer's Art
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebrewersart.com/
- Phone: 4105476925x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Ray Kumm
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Cross Street: Chase
- Public Transit: Light Rail: Cultural Center, 3 blocks west of us.
Amtrak/MARC train: Penn Station, 5 blocks north of us.
Bus stop(#3,11,61), Chase and Charles, 1/4 block south of us .
Coming in 2010: Circulator Purple Line, Charles and Biddle, 1/2 block north of us.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking free after 6 PM.
Attended garage at Belvedere Hotel, 1/2 block south of us.
A word from The Brewer's Art
Innovative cuisine in an historic mansion set in Baltimore's scenic Mt. Vernon neighborhood. Award-winning ales brewed on the premises, with carefully selected wines and spirits also available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Brewer's Art - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
The Brewer's Art reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (96)neighborhood gem (87)vibrant bar scene (78)special occasion (73)romantic (54)hot spot (51)good for groups (30)late-night find (18)notable wine list (17)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Always a good mealfirsttimerDined on 10/10/2014Love the beer selection and the entrees were top notch. We had the pork tenderloin and the stuffed squash. Both were excellent. You could cut the pork with a fork. The baked oysters were tasty, but arrived cold.Special Features:
- NewNeighborDined on 10/10/2014Many times over...always enjoyable and delicious. Loved the new fall menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, not far from Lyric TheaterSMJ1949VIPDined on 10/10/2014We're not beer drinkers, but a lot of patrons were. We were there before a comedy show at the Lyric. Nice greeting. Good table, Salads were excellent. Service good. My wife had the duck and I had the steak frites. She did better. Good, homemade frites came soggy from the sauce for the OK stake. I asked for and got a separate plate of hot, crisp fries. Chocolate torte excellent. Cocktails interesting and good. They could improve by not making the food sound so cute. It's a better restaurant than its menuSpecial Features:
- Love.MovedFromCBusDined on 10/4/2014Brewer's Art was an amazing surprise. We are new to Baltimore and were so pleased with the food, craft beers and atmosphere. Everything was absolutely delicious and the service was fantastic. I would go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014We really enjoyed our dining experience here. The food and wine were delicious.Special Features:
- Saturday Night!PamelaDined on 10/4/2014I had dinner here with friends before attending a concert at Metro Gallery. The food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food as Good as the BrewsMartyVIPDined on 10/3/2014A wide array of beautiful craft beers, paired with wonderful foods. Lamb neck was fabulous, as was the heirloom tomato salad. My friends had two of the fishes and enjoyed them as well. Server was a beer expert, in addition to highly knowledgeable about the food.Special Features:
- Too NoisyMissRumphiusDined on 9/30/2014The food, service and selections are very good but the resturant is so noisy you can't hear your table mates. Something needs to be done to limit the noise.Special Features:
- Terrific food and drinkRexspecsVIPDined on 9/27/2014Had an excellent meal and terrific drinks. It was crowded, but the staff didn't seem at all flustered and the service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than beer: great food!FromDCDined on 9/27/2014We've now been here twice for dinner and the food is outstanding. We had swordfish with kale, striped bass, and duck breast - all the dishes were delectable. The appetizers also were outstanding (butter lettuce salad and heirloom tomato salad). We also enjoyed the restaurant's draft beer. There is a lively bar at the front of the restaurant, but if you venture further inside, you'll have a wonderful dining experience in beautiful rooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday dinner!MemeDined on 9/22/2014My son took me to The Brewer's Art for my birthday, and we both enjoyed delicious appetizers, entrees, beer and wine. To top it off, the chocolate torte was served with a lit candle. It was a memorable evening for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food!AmyTDined on 9/20/2014We hadn't eaten a Brewer's Art in several years...the food was excellent. The building is gorgeous and very interesting. We dined with 6 of us and could have a nice conversation without any difficulty across the table. The service was excellent. What a lovely evening! Will go back here for our next BSO evening!Special Features:
- dinner44Dined on 9/19/2014Brewer's Art offers it's own brewed beers. which are quite good. We particularly enjoyed Ozzy and Resurrection. We went for a late, light supper. Had salads (the butter lettuce was excellent) and then shared four small plates (appetizers). The Buffalo Bresaola was a unique combo and very well done. The heirloom tomato salad also was quite enjoyable. The swedish meatballs, mushrooms,and fettucini were overwhelmed by a heavy stroganoff sauce. The Art Cheeseboard was fine ... but nothing to write home about. Our server was attentive and very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Great Beer Made Here!stevezDined on 9/19/2014I have been here for their house brewed beers many times, 2nd time dining. Food was excellent, but perhaps a bit light on the portions. Entrée selection was somewhat limited, however, I imagine this allows them to concentrate on perfecting their offerings, which they certainly do. 2 negative aspects of our visit combined to become an irritant. The noise level was more than "energetic". I would have called it a battle to tune it out. And then comes the lovely waitperson with the softest voice possible. Even after asking to repeat, I was still not sure I got it. I cannot think of another place that has equally great food and beer made on premises, and will continue to return on my annual business trips here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gemChillDined on 9/19/2014Unique experience. Solid food and true craft beer. Classy setting. Can't wait to return. A bit pricey though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but noisyEmmagirlDined on 9/18/2014Brewer's is a great place to meet up with friends for drinks and to have an awesome meal. It's only downside is the dining area is super noisy. I felt like I was shouting the entire meal. The food was so good I would go back but only during off-hours.Special Features:
- What an amazing find!markDined on 9/17/2014Our server, Rachel was absolutely the greatest! She was cheerful and helpful. We plan on telling ALL of our friends about this restaurant!Special Features:
- Great place in BaltimoreChipperDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I had dinner here recently on a Saturday evening. It's an old restored mansion in the Mt. Vernon area of town. The cocktails were perfect, the appetizers inventive and delicious, and the entree's were both top notch. Our server was attentive and friendly and the beer (I had a Belgian Ale) was wonderful.Special Features:
- Our first time - overall goodcoopDined on 9/13/2014Our critique is that we felt rushed at first, after our drinks and salad arrived practically at the same time, service was timed better. However, the Ceasar salad was soggy and too salty. I would not order it again. Our Steak Frites had great flavor but a bit tough. The potatoes were good.Special Features:
- Solid place for good beerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014The food at Brewer's Art was good, but not great. Some dishes were outstanding, but others were only ok. There were elements that were fantastic, but there were also elements that were bland texturally or flavor-wise. Brewer's Art also brews their own beer, several of which are very good. They also have a fantastic beer list. Overall I'm glad we dined here, but I'm not sure we'd go again.
- Good but not amazingarandomwalkDined on 9/7/2014I got the steak frites, which were pretty good but a little too salty. I think I should have been a bit more adventurous as everyone else in my party seemed to enjoy their food a lot more than I did.Special Features:
- Wonderful pricey restaurantRomanticAmbianceDined on 9/5/2014This was the first time I had been to brewers art, but was recomended. The ambiance and decor were wonderful and our waiter was very nice and knowledgable about the menu and pairing up their brewers and wines with the selection. It is pricey but worth it. I would definitely recommend for a dinner date night. We also saw a rehearsal dinner taking place in the back of the restaurant so could be good for groups too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/5/2014The food was tasty but the portions are very small - especially for the price.
- Al290Dined on 8/30/2014The lighting could be better to see the more than slightly overpriced food. The duck breast was good, but slightly overcooked. The steak tips were overcooked and stringy. Their beers rock but I can only afford this treat once or twice per year. The service was friendly and outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I ordered the trout and my fiance ordered the quail. His meal was absolutely EXCELLENT. I liked it a lot better than mine, but the smoked trout on my entree was very good. We also ordered a variety of the house beers (Wit Trash, Resurrection, Ozzy, Odalisque) and all were enjoyable. My favorite was the Odalisque and his favorite was the Wit Trash. Our entrees were quite a while in coming (due, we found out, to a poor server accidentally dropping our plates), but the house gave us a complimentary heirloom tomato salad appetizer (which was SUPER yummy) along with a round of beers on the house. All in all, our experience at Brewer's Art was extremely enjoyable. We will definitely return soon!Special Features:
- great food and serviceKatieDined on 8/14/2014Noisy near the main bar area, but asked to be seated farther back and request was complied with graciously. Lil brother Dave was very excited that they "knew" to take female orders first? Didn't know that was a thing. Even when cooks took our foods out (rather than server), still knew who to give it to without asking. Pricey, but worth it. V. Impressive. "Romantic" and "special occasion" are rather understated for this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014The menue was quirky and original. The quail was a home-run, but the striped bass struck out. They make great beer and it's a really nice place. We'll definitely return for drinks and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!ksrunsDined on 8/9/2014Great deal for restaurant week! The dishes were creative and delicious. Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- More than just great beer!bmorefoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014My bf and I were looking for a dinner spot near the Charles Theater and this fit the bill. It was restaurant week and normally the RW menus are just ok but this one did not disappoint. Appetizer heirloom tomato salad was delicious; cheese spread was not anything special. Entrees though, wow! We tried the duck (sous vide) and stuffed quail and both were fantastic. Dessert was chocolate torte and peach cake - both great. Waitress was attentive and very nice. Overall a great meal. I forgot how great the food is - definitely a good date night spot that is more than just a great beer selection and fun bar scene!Special Features:
- Amazing food and beer!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2014Brewer's art is the most unique place I have ever been to! The decor is beautiful upstairs and the basement has some unique seating areas. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Than a Brew PubMMSGrandmaVIPDined on 8/9/2014Our experience with most brew pubs is that the beer is usually quite good, but the food is not much more than bar food. However, Brewer's Art not only has the well crafted beer, but the food itself is excellent. It is food that you would expect at a fine dining restaurant.Special Features:
- A must visitespresso247Dined on 8/9/2014Leading up to a weekend trip to Baltimore, my wife and I both received recommendations to try The Brewer's Art from independent sources. We were completely glad that we worked this gem into our schedule. The food and beer is outstanding, Our service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times, good beer, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014We went here for a special night out treat; we started the evening in the bar up front and had a good chance to speak with the bartenders about the different beers. We were not disappointed. We went to the dining room, where surprise, it was restaurant week. I have to say this is one of the best restaurant week experiences I've had. The food was absolutely amazing - not the kind of prepared in advance meals you often get during restaurant week. The combinations of flavors - I had the rockfish with cous cous and gazpacho, was incredible.Special Features:
- Beer lovers meccafoodiewhispererDined on 8/8/2014This is obviously a new exciting place. A lot of energy. Try the coclels, they are a spicy treat. Swedish meatballs are excellent. We sampled the Ozzy and Resurrection beers. Ozzy was light and fruity and the resurrection was full bodied and bold. All a fantastic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just a nice great beer place!myheartisinmystomachDined on 8/8/2014We went for restaurant week and it was delicious! We enjoyed everything we ordered and the quail was superb! To mix things up we ordered a bottle of wine instead of beer (gasp!) and the recommendation from our waiter was spot on. The only pitfall was I felt rushed. Not overly so, the food was timely paced but there was a level of hurriedness from the staff that made me uncomfortable to actually stay and finish the bottle. Even though it should be said we were told to "take our time". Overall, the meal was fantastic, waiter attentive and knowledgeable, and another amazing time at Brewer's Art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible dinner at a brewerystephanieerinDined on 8/8/2014I'm a big brewery fan and love to check out local places so I was very surprised and excited to see the menu for The Brewer's Art. It's not terribly common to get to combine delicious beer and high caliber food at the same place. Loved the local food choices and presentation. Plus, Brewer's Art beer is always top notch.Special Features:
- Excellent Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014Came for restaurant week and loved everything about this restaurant! Great ambiance with a unique Baltimore charm. Excellent service and wonderful original beers brewed on-site. Delicious food, creative dishes, and some well-crafted desserts created by an experienced pastry chef. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for restaurant weekyummDined on 8/7/2014Went there for the first time for restaurant week and the food was amazing. Service was friendly and quick as well. Menu had a lot of variety for being restaurant week and very unique that there is a bar downstairs and the restaurant is upstairs. Would want to go back to try their regular menu because of the beer and wine selectionSpecial Features:
- No skimping on Restaurant WeekRiversideParkerDined on 8/4/2014Went to Baltimore Restaurant week dinner this Monday and the place was hopping. The garlic-rosemary frites were as good as always, their house beer selection was tasty, and, almost surprisingly (happily) they were serving regular dinner-size entrees, sides, and salads on their Restaurant Week menu. Several offerings weren't on the online restaurant week menu, and everything was excellent: Heirloom tomato salad, smoked trout, striped bass, chocolate proletary cake and blueberry cobbler. All really good and a bargain at restaurant week prices. I'd definitely come back. The only drawback is the noise -- the dining room is open and very loud. Not deafening (go to the grotto-like basement for an after-dinner drink for that), but loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time hereSeanDined on 8/4/2014This was my first time at The Brewer's Art. While I have enjoyed their beer for purchase I have not been to the restaurant and since they were participating in restaurant week I took an opportunity to try them out. The food was delicious and the presentation was very appealing to the eye. The timing for our 3 course meal was great. I would for sure go back again.Special Features: