The Brewer's Art
1106 N Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Brewer's Art
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thebrewersart.com/
- Phone: 4105476925x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Ray Kumm
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Cross Street: Chase
- Public Transit: Light Rail: Cultural Center, 3 blocks west of us.
Amtrak/MARC train: Penn Station, 5 blocks north of us.
Bus stop(#3,11,61), Chase and Charles, 1/4 block south of us .
Coming in 2010: Circulator Purple Line, Charles and Biddle, 1/2 block north of us.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking free after 6 PM.
Attended garage at Belvedere Hotel, 1/2 block south of us.
A word from The Brewer's Art
Innovative cuisine in an historic mansion set in Baltimore's scenic Mt. Vernon neighborhood. Award-winning ales brewed on the premises, with carefully selected wines and spirits also available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Brewer's Art - Best Restaurants in Mt. Vernon ›
The Brewer's Art reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (87)fit for foodies (85)vibrant bar scene (78)special occasion (71)romantic (55)hot spot (44)good for groups (26)late-night find (18)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great food but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014Brewer's is a great place to meet up with friends for drinks and to have an awesome meal. It's only downside is the dining area is super noisy. I felt like I was shouting the entire meal. The food was so good I would go back but only during off-hours.Special Features:
- What an amazing find!markDined on 9/17/2014Our server, Rachel was absolutely the greatest! She was cheerful and helpful. We plan on telling ALL of our friends about this restaurant!Special Features:
- Great place in BaltimoreChipperDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I had dinner here recently on a Saturday evening. It's an old restored mansion in the Mt. Vernon area of town. The cocktails were perfect, the appetizers inventive and delicious, and the entree's were both top notch. Our server was attentive and friendly and the beer (I had a Belgian Ale) was wonderful.Special Features:
- Our first time - overall goodcoopDined on 9/13/2014Our critique is that we felt rushed at first, after our drinks and salad arrived practically at the same time, service was timed better. However, the Ceasar salad was soggy and too salty. I would not order it again. Our Steak Frites had great flavor but a bit tough. The potatoes were good.Special Features:
- Solid place for good beerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014The food at Brewer's Art was good, but not great. Some dishes were outstanding, but others were only ok. There were elements that were fantastic, but there were also elements that were bland texturally or flavor-wise. Brewer's Art also brews their own beer, several of which are very good. They also have a fantastic beer list. Overall I'm glad we dined here, but I'm not sure we'd go again.
- Good but not amazingarandomwalkDined on 9/7/2014I got the steak frites, which were pretty good but a little too salty. I think I should have been a bit more adventurous as everyone else in my party seemed to enjoy their food a lot more than I did.Special Features:
- Wonderful pricey restaurantRomanticAmbianceDined on 9/5/2014This was the first time I had been to brewers art, but was recomended. The ambiance and decor were wonderful and our waiter was very nice and knowledgable about the menu and pairing up their brewers and wines with the selection. It is pricey but worth it. I would definitely recommend for a dinner date night. We also saw a rehearsal dinner taking place in the back of the restaurant so could be good for groups too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okayOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/5/2014The food was tasty but the portions are very small - especially for the price.
- Al290Dined on 8/30/2014The lighting could be better to see the more than slightly overpriced food. The duck breast was good, but slightly overcooked. The steak tips were overcooked and stringy. Their beers rock but I can only afford this treat once or twice per year. The service was friendly and outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I ordered the trout and my fiance ordered the quail. His meal was absolutely EXCELLENT. I liked it a lot better than mine, but the smoked trout on my entree was very good. We also ordered a variety of the house beers (Wit Trash, Resurrection, Ozzy, Odalisque) and all were enjoyable. My favorite was the Odalisque and his favorite was the Wit Trash. Our entrees were quite a while in coming (due, we found out, to a poor server accidentally dropping our plates), but the house gave us a complimentary heirloom tomato salad appetizer (which was SUPER yummy) along with a round of beers on the house. All in all, our experience at Brewer's Art was extremely enjoyable. We will definitely return soon!Special Features:
- great food and serviceKatieDined on 8/14/2014Noisy near the main bar area, but asked to be seated farther back and request was complied with graciously. Lil brother Dave was very excited that they "knew" to take female orders first? Didn't know that was a thing. Even when cooks took our foods out (rather than server), still knew who to give it to without asking. Pricey, but worth it. V. Impressive. "Romantic" and "special occasion" are rather understated for this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014The menue was quirky and original. The quail was a home-run, but the striped bass struck out. They make great beer and it's a really nice place. We'll definitely return for drinks and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!ksrunsDined on 8/9/2014Great deal for restaurant week! The dishes were creative and delicious. Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- More than just great beer!bmorefoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014My bf and I were looking for a dinner spot near the Charles Theater and this fit the bill. It was restaurant week and normally the RW menus are just ok but this one did not disappoint. Appetizer heirloom tomato salad was delicious; cheese spread was not anything special. Entrees though, wow! We tried the duck (sous vide) and stuffed quail and both were fantastic. Dessert was chocolate torte and peach cake - both great. Waitress was attentive and very nice. Overall a great meal. I forgot how great the food is - definitely a good date night spot that is more than just a great beer selection and fun bar scene!Special Features:
- Amazing food and beer!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2014Brewer's art is the most unique place I have ever been to! The decor is beautiful upstairs and the basement has some unique seating areas. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Than a Brew PubMMSGrandmaVIPDined on 8/9/2014Our experience with most brew pubs is that the beer is usually quite good, but the food is not much more than bar food. However, Brewer's Art not only has the well crafted beer, but the food itself is excellent. It is food that you would expect at a fine dining restaurant.Special Features:
- A must visitespresso247Dined on 8/9/2014Leading up to a weekend trip to Baltimore, my wife and I both received recommendations to try The Brewer's Art from independent sources. We were completely glad that we worked this gem into our schedule. The food and beer is outstanding, Our service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good times, good beer, good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014We went here for a special night out treat; we started the evening in the bar up front and had a good chance to speak with the bartenders about the different beers. We were not disappointed. We went to the dining room, where surprise, it was restaurant week. I have to say this is one of the best restaurant week experiences I've had. The food was absolutely amazing - not the kind of prepared in advance meals you often get during restaurant week. The combinations of flavors - I had the rockfish with cous cous and gazpacho, was incredible.Special Features:
- Beer lovers meccafoodiewhispererDined on 8/8/2014This is obviously a new exciting place. A lot of energy. Try the coclels, they are a spicy treat. Swedish meatballs are excellent. We sampled the Ozzy and Resurrection beers. Ozzy was light and fruity and the resurrection was full bodied and bold. All a fantastic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just a nice great beer place!myheartisinmystomachDined on 8/8/2014We went for restaurant week and it was delicious! We enjoyed everything we ordered and the quail was superb! To mix things up we ordered a bottle of wine instead of beer (gasp!) and the recommendation from our waiter was spot on. The only pitfall was I felt rushed. Not overly so, the food was timely paced but there was a level of hurriedness from the staff that made me uncomfortable to actually stay and finish the bottle. Even though it should be said we were told to "take our time". Overall, the meal was fantastic, waiter attentive and knowledgeable, and another amazing time at Brewer's Art.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible dinner at a brewerystephanieerinDined on 8/8/2014I'm a big brewery fan and love to check out local places so I was very surprised and excited to see the menu for The Brewer's Art. It's not terribly common to get to combine delicious beer and high caliber food at the same place. Loved the local food choices and presentation. Plus, Brewer's Art beer is always top notch.Special Features:
- Excellent Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014Came for restaurant week and loved everything about this restaurant! Great ambiance with a unique Baltimore charm. Excellent service and wonderful original beers brewed on-site. Delicious food, creative dishes, and some well-crafted desserts created by an experienced pastry chef. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for restaurant weekyummDined on 8/7/2014Went there for the first time for restaurant week and the food was amazing. Service was friendly and quick as well. Menu had a lot of variety for being restaurant week and very unique that there is a bar downstairs and the restaurant is upstairs. Would want to go back to try their regular menu because of the beer and wine selectionSpecial Features:
- No skimping on Restaurant WeekRiversideParkerDined on 8/4/2014Went to Baltimore Restaurant week dinner this Monday and the place was hopping. The garlic-rosemary frites were as good as always, their house beer selection was tasty, and, almost surprisingly (happily) they were serving regular dinner-size entrees, sides, and salads on their Restaurant Week menu. Several offerings weren't on the online restaurant week menu, and everything was excellent: Heirloom tomato salad, smoked trout, striped bass, chocolate proletary cake and blueberry cobbler. All really good and a bargain at restaurant week prices. I'd definitely come back. The only drawback is the noise -- the dining room is open and very loud. Not deafening (go to the grotto-like basement for an after-dinner drink for that), but loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time hereSeanDined on 8/4/2014This was my first time at The Brewer's Art. While I have enjoyed their beer for purchase I have not been to the restaurant and since they were participating in restaurant week I took an opportunity to try them out. The food was delicious and the presentation was very appealing to the eye. The timing for our 3 course meal was great. I would for sure go back again.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week WonderfoodieKDined on 8/2/2014Great choice for Restaurant Week with access to many of the same menu items on offer otherwise. Seasonal, beautifully presented and delicious. House beers and a killer chocolate torte complete the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014My husband and I went to the Brewer's Art during Restaurant Week. It was very crowded but we were seated immediately and the waitress was extremely attentive. She did a great job of walking us through the menu and the beer list. The food was excellent. Each course came out with perfect timing. Would definitely recommend this for anyone looking for a nice dinner out in a beautiful atmosphere as a couple or with friends. The crowd was very diverse and would be a great spot for before or after a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gastronomic treatBmoredinerDined on 8/2/2014The Brewer's Art is, in my opinion, one of the very best places to go for Baltimore's restaurant week. Menu choices are many and varied; while it's just a tad too crowded to be romantic, the ornate high ceiling and Old World charm create a delightful ambiance. And the food is downright awesome. We both chose the heirloom tomato salad (delicious), and had the blueberry bread pudding for dessert (also excellent). But the standout was our entrees. Roasted duck breast with chanterelle mushrooms and a fresh green dressing... amazing. Smoked trout filet over a succotash of sweet corn, kohlrabi, baby limas and more: delightful. These choices,recommended by our excellent waitress, were also in line with our leanings, and we had no regrets. Kudos!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unimpressedDined on 8/2/2014The food was good as was the service . The noise level was way too loud and the tables are on top of each other.Special Features:
- Great food and servicemavenDined on 8/2/2014Although we were there during Restaurant Week, Brewers Art served full portions and their best quality food, unlike some others. The Sea Bass had crispy skin and was cooked perfectly in a cold gezpacho soup. The steak frites was very good too. Desserts were awesome, especially the blueberry bread pudding. Wine is reasonably priced and the selection is quite good. Very nice service. Only issue: bar was very noisy early in evening (5pm). Fortunately most of them were out by 6pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifiul building!VerneneVIPDined on 8/1/2014The interior of this building is fantastic, with a history that blends. The outdoor front doors definitely need to be restored because they are actually disgusting and do the history of this fine building an injustice. The place is alive and well. However, I do not recommend the Restaurant Week menu. The regular menu's food is much better. Dessert was poor, in fact. The enthusiasm of the wait staff and the home brew are niceties. Currently, this location is ideal for visiting the theater and concert venues nearby i.e. Meyerhoff, Lyric, Theater Project, and UB. It is always a busy place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for twoJohnDined on 7/31/2014We always look forward to our next trip to Brewer's Art and we always leave blown away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely MealBrobDined on 7/27/2014This restaurant is in a elegant old row house with fine dining upstairs and a cozy happening bar scene with simpler fare downstairs. Everyone loved what they ordered. The vegetarian main course was delicious. I find it hard to find really delicious and creative vegan fare and this was a treat. The cold smoked trout smelled delicious, stuffed quail and duck breast all unusual but said to be fabulous. The rosemary fries were so good I could have made a meal of just fries and salad. Highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Corey was awesomeOldschoolfoodieDined on 7/26/2014We sat in the back of the restaurant, 2 tops are very close together. Very Load 4 top behind us, and the acoustics are awful. Corey the waiter was awesome, very helpful. Appetizer, pork belly was so good, I should have ordered 2 more and 2 to go. The Rock fish tartar was OK, smoked roe ....not much flavor. Husband had hanger steak, cooked perfectly but rosemary fries served cool. My fish entree was good, crispy skin. But served with cooled peal pasta. I didn't get it. Tomato Salad was wonderful. I would try again but may wait until the fall menu is revealed. I will also sit in the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic home ambiencetboneDined on 7/25/2014We enjoyed a great dinner with excellent service - will visit again.Special Features:
- It is an artjackyeDined on 7/20/2014... to provide food and service and a space this wonderful.Special Features:
- Rosemary garlic fried from heavenJessOVIPDined on 7/18/2014Red meat and fries are the only thing I have ordered at this restaurant and they have never let me down. Service was a little slow but it was a Friday night and we ordered a weir amount of food. Great beer, good atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- feralkatDined on 7/18/2014Amazing as always. Best cocktails in town, and a dinner menu that never fails to feel special. We have been here for a few special occasion dinners and never regretted it. This time I had the quail and he had the duck, and we were both raving. The perfect amount of food, with the perfect balance of textures and flavors. Dessert this time was a strangely boring blueberry cake, but I would recommend the more rich and chocolatey dessert items hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2014What a lovely space, delicious brew, and a marvelous menu! My husband and I were there to celebrate his 69th birthday and enjoyed ourselves.I would recommend this to a friend.
- tinaDined on 7/15/2014Food was great... ambiance cool. Service was pretty good. Very cool place with great food and great drinks!Special Features: