The Breakwater - Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
4330 Island Hwy S
Courtenay, BC V9N 1Y4Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Breakwater - Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kingfisherspa.com/
- Phone: 2503381323x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 8:00 am - 10:45 am, Sunday: 8:00 am - 9:00 am;
Brunch: Sunday: 9:00 am - 2:00 pm; **Note - Ala Carte, no longer a buffet**
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 8:30 pm; Friday - Saturday 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Philippe Gagne
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private room available upon request
- Private Party Contact: Meghan Walker, Sales & Events Coordinator (250) 338-1323x399
A word from The Breakwater - Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
"The Breakwater" name speaks to the heritage of our setting; the original breakwater was formed to calm Comox Harbour so loggers could form their bounty into booms for tugs to transport. Just up the shoreline, several ships were scuttled to create a breakwater. Today, those silent hulls serve as an iconic reminder of the perils that faced coastal pioneers. "The Breakwater" speaks of the restaurant's proximity to the ocean, as well as the rich history of the Comox Valley. We invite you to enjoy the warm atmosphere, friendly service, and fresh, creative West Coast cuisine in the Breakwater restaurant or on our patio — all with one of the best views in the Pacific Northwest. We're committed to bringing you the bounty of Vancouver Island. The surrounding waters are famed for salmon, halibut, sable-fish, shrimp, crab, mussels, oysters, clams and more. Our climate supports a vast range of vegetables, fruits, and herbs… to say nothing of the wild foods that pops up without anyone's helpContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Breakwater - Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa - Best Restaurants in Courtenay ›
The Breakwater - Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (36)special occasion (23)great for outdoor dining (21)romantic (21)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (17)good for groups (16)great for brunch (13)neighborhood gem (9)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Unusual menu, beautiful viewFredDined on 8/9/2014With a table at the window, we were able to watch two cruise ships sail by on a beautifully calm evening. We thought it was too cool for the patio, but it is lovely surrounded by gardens. The menu here is very different but selections of Caesar salad and pork/shrimp spring rolls were ample for us to share. Our main was home made squid ink pasta loaded with variou shellfish and seafood. The home made ice cream was delicious ; mango lime, caramel sea salt and strawberry rhubarb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coastal ExcellencePGJ98M3Dined on 8/8/2014Stunning setting. You look out across the ocean to the Mainland Mountains. Alaskan Cruise ships glide by. All the while you are eating locally sourced well-prepared foodSpecial Features:
- FantasticSpaWeekendDined on 8/3/2014Three of us stayed at the Kingfisher for 3 days for our Second Biennial Spa weekend - made 2 reservations at the Restaurant ... ate at restaurant 4 times - fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful seaside diningBluestarfishDined on 8/2/2014We loved every minute of our dining experience at the Breakwater. The evening was warm, the sunset was beautiful and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- Great experience!LovesToDineDined on 7/29/2014We really enjoyed the dining experience. We had a reservation but showed up early and were immediately seated. Our meal was delicious and we all shared bites of the other entrees. The crème brulee was the perfect close for the meal washed down by a rich strong coffee. We would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstanding!AnnaMcLeodDined on 7/26/2014We are frequent guests at this restaurant and can honestly say we've never been disappointed by the food/service/ambiance. Always first class.Special Features:
- Superb!AnnickVIPDined on 7/26/2014Nice retreat, quiet, wonderful views of the ocean (all rooms have an ocean view), magnificent gardens with lavender and lots of flowers, a beautiful pool and spa and the nice Pacific Hydropath Mist (a series of different pools, very nicely made in a grotto). Food is excellent. We had the halibut of the day, a delight. Service in very good too. We will come back for sure.Special Features:
- Pesty wasps the only negativesok30Dined on 7/26/2014We dined outside with a group of 3 adults (2 celiac's and a 4 month old baby). Service, food, scenery and everything was great but we were constantly buzzed by wasps attracted to our drinks and fruits. We had to ask for a new drink after a wasp landed in it despite being covered with a napkin (which was provided immediately and with no fuss). Loved the gluten-free options on the menu and the amount of regular options that were just naturally gluten free. All in all it was a very good dining experience.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem!tastebudsDined on 7/23/2014We normally don't eat out too much on VI, too many disappointments, we save ourselves for California during the winter months. However that said, there are a few gems on VI that are quite lovely and The Breakwater is one of those gems! We live approximately one hour (at 110 Kms/hr) down island, so we don't get too much of a chance to frequent this delightful spot. The ambiance is wonderful even on a rainy day. The wait staff is delightful and helpful. The menu tries to do local ingredients (excellent choices) and it sets itself apart with unique menu creations. Best of all, the food is not only very good, but it is consistent. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Beautiful BreakwaterMaryDined on 7/21/2014The food was excellent. fresh Oysters, fresh halibut and chololate for dessert. It was quite expensive with the wine- 250$ not including the tip for 3 people. But for us it was a special occasion and very memorable sitting on the patio with the ocean spread before us. . Lovely.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014A must if you are staying at the Kingfisher resort both for dinner and breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is equal to the scenery!MeweeyaDined on 7/13/2014I've eaten there many times over the years and have never been disappointed. This time it was for brunch, deliscious. There were three of us and we decided to split the Brioche French Toast as an indulgence...absolutely decadedence! Especially since I followed up with the dungeoness crab Benny. Maybe it could have had a bit more crab, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The other members of my party had the traditional Benny, served on a bagel which was very filling. And the Braised beef hash was also fantastic and very generous in portion size. We look forward to returning, the food combined with the scenery is hard to beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eveningSliceDined on 7/12/2014Well prepared and nicely presented halibut in a stunningly beautiful location. Server was welcoming, attentive and thoughtful. Gardens are lovely and the views over the ocean on a warm summer's eve were glorious. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/2/2014NOTE -- THIS SHOULD BE DOWN BELOW IN PRIVATE NOTE BUT NOT ENOUGH ROOM THERE -- OR LEAVE IT HERE IF YOU WISH We quite enjoyed our meals. The plates were piping hot, as they should be. A bit too much potato on my wife's plate. The room was a little warm. It was nice and quite, we came about 5:30 pm. Better for my hearing aids. You might ask older people or try and give some choice about the size of portions. Mother in laws was a little big for her. Perhaps tell people that they could share a meal. Thank you for the desert. It was our 48 th wedding anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chowderOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014the seafood chowder was outstanding!! The view was greatSpecial Features:
- It's Summer Where's the Menu?ARK3688Dined on 7/1/2014The chef's at this restaurant need to create dishes that reflect the seasons. Halibut, salmon, crab, and spot prawns are far better choices than sturgeon , duck confit , and rabbit rillet. The menu was all over the place. With Caesar salad (really?) sesame crusted tuna to oyster tempura with miso soup. The best part of the meal was the chocolate mousse. There are so many resources out there that can help chefs in creating menus that are balanced and reflect BC bounty . May you grow forward with this criticism, You are talented chefs and wish you a great summer!Special Features:
- Great dining experience!DelightInDiningDined on 6/26/2014Celebrating our 30th anniversary my wife and I were staying at The Kingfisher Resort for a long weekend. On our first night after a long day of travel, we decided to go to The Breakwater for dinner. I used the convenient online reservation system using OpenTable and our reservation was confirmed via email right away. We took a stroll on the beach beside the resort before heading to The Breakwater. Shortly after being seated, our server Roxy attended to us. Upon Roxy's recommendation we both enjoyed a wonderfully prepared fresh halibut chef's creation in a very comfortable and pleasant setting. I recommend this fine establishment to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner OutpansatDined on 6/20/2014The food is very good, the service is wonderful and the views are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic lunchHopeDined on 6/18/2014Our group (13) thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. Our server was wonderful and she went above and beyond. Definitely will book there again. Food was excellent, presented beautifully, hot where necessary and delicious.Special Features:
- Kingfisher Restaurant reviewcvwomanDined on 6/15/2014We made reservations but were surprised to find out that while it was Father's Day, the restaurant was not busy at brunch time. Even so, the hostess sat us right next to a table with 2 families. Then sat another table right behind us. So, in a more than half empty restaurant, we were sat 3 tables in a row. Our food, while good, wasn't hot enough. I wasn't going to send mine back as I'd ordered eggs...a little difficult to heat up without over cooking the eggs. Further, I'd ordered the crab benedict & there was very little crab. Having said that, the cost was only $1 more for the crab as opposed to the regular benedict so that's understandable. The cost for our brunch was more than reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend Getaway at KingfisherRexxDined on 6/6/2014Spent last weekend with friends at the Kingfisher for my wife's 50th birthday. We dined at the Breakwater for dinner and breakfast twice. The view is fantastic, the ambiance and service was outstanding and the food was amazing.Special Features:
- great experiencetablefor2Dined on 6/5/2014We really enjoyed two dinners and two breakfasts at the Breakwater while staying at the resort. Food was delicious, uniquely flavoured and presented. The service was very nice and considerate and friendly. The view is wonderful and the ambience, along with sensitive music, is very pleasant. Patio seating is more casual but there are umbrellas and heaters for comfort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Sunday Buffet Brunch:(FoodieDined on 6/1/2014I reserved brunch for myself and out of town guests as I just moved to Comox and fondly remembered how wonderful the brunch buffet was. I made my reservation online and much to my disappointment on arrival, we learned that the buffet is no longer available. This was the only reason I booked it and had I known it wasn't available, I wouldn't have booked our guests to eat there. The brunch we had was good, except for the black hair my husband found in his food but overall we were very disappointed about missing the buffet. I didn't notice anything online when I booked about the buffet being cancelled. The server was professional and friendly and the view of coarse was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eagleslandingDined on 5/18/2014Service and view were excellent. Food, though good, was not up to the standard we have experienced in the past.Special Features:
- not what we expectedhowitisDined on 5/18/2014We had enjoyed thr buffet brunch in the past but found out they no longer serve it. Our brunch was mediocre at best. Service was good and the view is fantastic.Special Features:
- Bridge girls getawayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/5/2014We were staying at the Kingfisher Resort and ate breakfasts and dinners at the Breakwater. The views are lovely and the food was very good. Interesting creations especially at dinner. The service was good - very friendly staff.Special Features:
- Excellent seafood - great locationeallDined on 5/2/2014We used an Open Table cheque to eat here, which made the dinner a bargain as well. We had the chef's special seafood platter, which was wonderful beyond words. Crispy skin salmon, breaded oysters, clams and mussels over a delicious paella with roasted leeks. Service was impeccable but friendly, and we spent the time looking out over the ocean while two eagles circled nearby. Overall a lovely evening out.Special Features:
- The following 95 reviews are from the The Breakwater - Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa reviews archive.
- sea foodShirleyDined on 4/27/2014Wonder full and Fresh - creative food and well worth the visit...Shirley and Chris form VictoriaSpecial Features:
- Wonderful dining!Doocheen41Dined on 4/25/2014This was a repeat experience for us and, once again, the Breakwater did not fail us. It is an excellent place to dine for any occasion. The ambiance is awesome, the food really delicious and the service first-class. We will definitely return there and would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch here every yearCanuckshawDined on 4/20/2014Used to book the closest Sunday to our wedding anniversary, but The Breakwater now only offers their Sunday Brunch on special occasions. Fortunately, Easter was close enough this year. The overall food selection seemed to be smaller than in the past, but all of my favourites were on hand! Their Salmon Eggs Benedict is awesome, like a party in your mouth. Otherwise every item in the buffet style brunch is prepared perfectly. The service impeccable, the ambiance is calm & reserved. The perfect place for either a group get together and chat or an intimate meal for two. Best option: Spend an evening at the Spa, spend the night at the Resort and spend the morning at The Breakwater.Special Features:
- See you soon!Fate4loveDined on 4/15/2014Enjoyed the meal! You had a feeling that the chef took pride in every dish and much thought went into the presentation and level of quality in every bit! I would definitly recommend to all my friends to eat at the Breakwater Restaurant instead of driving into town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingLuv2dineDined on 4/13/2014Everything about that night was amazing!! We could dine there every night!! It's a total g!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Eight family members - (7 plus a baby) Sadly won't be going back. Overall the food was very expensive & lower quality than expected. I opted for the ling cod entrée dish & was shocked when my dish showed up covered in Roe, a garnish, I was told by the waitress, well something like that should be listed as an ingredient as I would not have ordered it if I had known it was on there! Meat quality was ok nothing outstanding! Also the fish ling cod & halibut that was ordered lacked in fresh taste and presumably was frozen! Very few vegetables served with the meal. Overall we found the food to be lacking in quality as well as quantity - the pictures shown on the website really didn't show a correct representation of the meals we received.Special Features:
- Delicious!NanaimoFoodiesDined on 3/23/2014We were so very impressed with our dinners. Presentation, service and food itself, were all top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakwater DinnerYummyMummyDined on 3/17/2014Fantastic food, great service and a nice atmosphere. Food presentation is beautiful and the quality was outstanding. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!suzqDined on 3/16/2014We ate here twice during our stay at Kingfisher and the food was fabulous and fresh both times. What was best was the amount of time in between courses-nice and long and we wanted more just at the time our next course arrived. There was ample enough food for my firefighter husband, which is what I often find gets skimped on at fine dining restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Kingfisher Never Disappoints!live2eatDined on 2/28/2014The Kingfisher provides breathtaking ocean views and outstanding food. The staff at Kingfisher is passionate about food and this is reflected in the quality of ingredients, how/where they source their food and the beautiful meal presentation. Our waitress was friendly, attentive and enthusiastic about the menu. We look forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional22relaxDined on 2/25/2014The service and food was exceptional. The plate presentation was very appealing. A delicious appetizer starts you off on a great dining experience, the main course will leave you feeling full and satisfied but still wanting to try a dessert. I would suggest leaving a bit of room for a desert, it is the perfect end to a beautiful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Menu - Big TasteTurtleDined on 2/14/2014The Valentine's Day Menu was out of this world! Everything was cooked to perfection, and the presentation was second to none! The wine pairings was wonderful, and what a terrific idea. The service was impeccable. Breakfast was equally as awesome, and the service here was terrific also. Dropped in for a 'snack' between spa treatments and here is where the Breakwater fell down. Ordered coffee and were asked if we wanted cream. Waited so long, I finally went and asked for it at the bar. Had to ask for napkins. The fruit bowl was excellent! The muffin looked great and was warm when it arrived. However, it was so dry, and hard after two or three bites, if was actually difficult to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a table for four andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014We had a table for four and everyone commented that the both the meal and drinks were delicious. However, of the four, two ordered medium-rare meat... and it was definitely NOT medium-rare, but RARE! If it would have been my dinner, I would have sent it back... but they decided not to. The only complaint that we all shared was the portion size: for the price, a little more food would have been nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.